Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

55 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Are there any?

Aawwww.  Don't disparage the fans of poor teams (except maybe Cowboy fans).  The Browns are in the division of my team (Ravens) and I have the utmost respect for their fans for sticking by them. I even was a little happy a couple years ago when the analysts were saying how good they were going to be.  I would have been happy for their fans if the Browns came in second in the division - after the Ravens.  But then, there's always those pesky Steelers...

• Love 2

The Browns are like the Pirates when you link them to the Steelers and Cardinals, respectively.  Both bottom feeders can't ever pass their rivals, and when they've come close, their rivals have knocked them out (2002 & 2007 for the Steelers, 2013 & 2015 with St. Louis).  Despite some close calls with the Buccos, I think Cleveland will overtake Pittsburgh in football before Pittsburgh passes St. Louis in baseball.  Not just once, but several times.  Not sure Baker will be the guy to do it, but Case + a nice defense, offensive weapons including a running game could be a problem for most of the AFC down the road.

Meanwhile, AB and Tom back together might turn momentum from Seattle to Tampa.  I think Russell could win the MVP, but someone might steal it from him.  Probably not Lamar, and maybe not Mahomes.  But it could be Brady after all.  Nice story!

13 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Talent always gets a second chance. (And a third, and a fourth....)

Really?    Why isn't Kapernick even getting tryouts (the excuse he won't take a back up role has never been tested).   The Patriots cut Brown after ONE game.   But I guess Brady decided he wanted another receiver rather than have the team invest in an O-line to protect his old ass.   So Brady gets what he wants.    Brown hasn't changed his ways and is not going to.   Arians is going to regret giving Brady everything he wants.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Ironically, Arians called Brown a diva and said he wasn't a good fit for the Bucs back in March.  I guess he changed his mind. 

Or it might have been translation to Bruce not picking up someone until the discipline was made clear.  The thing is I don't know if AB is in the clear either

4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Arians is going to regret giving Brady everything he wants.

He might, but I hardly think AB is going to treat both Brady & Arians like crap.  BTW, Gronk is a teammate this time (which wasn't the case last year).  I don't know what Rob would do if AB doesn't get his numbers when Tampa is trying to win games.

Arians would have regretted a decision not to obtain Brady more than a decision to acquire Antonio Brown.  The good news despite everything is that Bruce has dealt with him before, unlike a Pete Carroll or A Jon Gruden

38 minutes ago, Carey said:

He might, but I hardly think AB is going to treat both Brady & Arians like crap.

I don't think AB can help himself from acting stupidly. Ever since the Steelers when he was livestreaming the postgame speeches he's been a study in bad impulse control, uncontrollable by well-respected coaches like Gruden, Belichick, and Tomlin.

• Love 2

Both those teams suck & their owners are downright repulsive, but maybe we'll get lucky & the Not Worth A Damn Football Team will actually put a smile on my face for a change. I can't remember the last time that happened.

There was a lovely five minutes of football for this Steeler fan/Bengal hater. First the Titans kicker just blew the tying field goal and then the Browns scored a go-ahead TD. My sports day is made.

Wait, can Brady throw a double pick six game? Please?

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Here's why:

And Mike McCarthy after the game is asked why no Cowboys got in the face of the Washington defender who leveled their QB with a dirty, cheap hit and says it "was not the response you would expect."   Wow.  A lot of problems in Dallas.

I'm enjoying watching this game in Denver.  Don't care about the outcome, just like watching a game played on a snowy field, players' breath showing, and it makes the masks seem almost normal.  

• Love 1

OBJ is rumored to have a major injury.  Thanks, Baker!

I would love to see Denver and snow (seriously Minnesota got like nine inches and it did not come here WTF) but instead we get San Fran/Pats and Tony Romo, OH JOY.

29 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I would love to see Denver and snow (seriously Minnesota got like nine inches and it did not come here WTF) but instead we get San Fran/Pats and Tony Romo, OH JOY.

But, I'm sure despite putting up with listening to Tony Romo, seeing Them Boyz going down like a heap to that Not Worth A Damn Football Team will soothe your agony today. Besides, it could be worse. Joe Buck could of been announcing the game.

Edited by Magog
1 hour ago, Calvada said:

And Mike McCarthy after the game is asked why no Cowboys got in the face of the Washington defender who leveled their QB with a dirty, cheap hit and says it "was not the response you would expect."   Wow.  A lot of problems in Dallas.

I'm enjoying watching this game in Denver.  Don't care about the outcome, just like watching a game played on a snowy field, players' breath showing, and it makes the masks seem almost normal.  

Because that's the response you want?  More penalties and possibly ejections?   How about you coack your O line to protect your QB DURING the play instead of expecting them to start a fight after?

• Love 5

WTF, Seattle?!  There are four quarters in a game, and you have to play all of them.  If you don't, you wind up in OT.  And then if you play like utter morons there, you lose. 

I know it's just the first loss of the season, but, damn, that was dumb.  They so deserved to lose the game, I have to tip my hat to the Cardinals; that missed FG should have sunk them, but the Seahawks still threw it away and they capitalized.

• Love 3

Good grief. 

Kick the winning field goal.  No, wait, time was called.  Kick it again.  Miss.

Score the winning touchdown.  No, wait.  Holding.  Call it back.  Throw an interception.

Kick the winning field goal again.

I think I got that right.

Didn't last night's baseball game end wierd, too?

Game 4 of the World Series ended with two errors on the final hit and the winning run stumbling and falling going around third base.  It was great!

I can see what Mike McCarthy was saying.  He wasn’t rooting for a fight, but he got no reaction from his guys sticking up for their QB.  My team may be a trash fire, but the players on Dallas hate Mike, and he hates them, and I am here for it.

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Apropos of nothing, I am also adding last night’s Arizona uniforms to the terrible pile.

Oh.  Detroit from yesterday too.  And hell I hate Seattle’s dingy “washed the lights with the darks laundry accident” uniforms also so into the pile they go.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Apropos of nothing, I am also adding last night’s Arizona uniforms to the terrible pile.

Oh.  Detroit from yesterday too.  And hell I hate Seattle’s dingy “washed the lights with the darks laundry accident” uniforms also so into the pile they go.

I guess I don't really pay that much attention to the uniforms unless they are really out-there, like the bumblebee uniforms of Pittsburgh.  However, a friend told me that when they show Seattle from above in the lime uniforms, all she sees is a bunch of fireflies.  Now I can't not see that. Thought I'd put that in everyone else's head, so you have to see fireflies every time, too.

• LOL 3

Oh I loooove the lime jerseys.  Love. Them.

Buffalo scored 18 points.  No TD’s.  Never punted.  And won the game.  Doesn’t it feel, though, to those of us of A Certain Age, that the Jets have never been contenders?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

Buffalo scored 18 points.  No TD’s.  Never punted.  And won the game.  Doesn’t it feel, though, to those of us of A Certain Age, that the Jets have never been contenders?

I remember 2010-2011, though. They weren't far off then.

Incidentally, that was the last time you could honestly say that you felt that the Jets coach and Jets GM were working towards a common goal. I'm fascinated by how they've created a structure in which the GM and Coach have been working at cross purposes for a decade now, a structure so obviously bad that even entry level candidates like Matt Rhule say thanks but no thanks. Harvard Business School needs to study the Jets as a cautionary tale in bad management.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

The Cards' worst look is the wall o' red. Hideous.

I just always remember a line from the book version of M*A*S*H, when they see the uniforms they're getting for the football game:  "We look like a bunch of goddamn cherry parfaits."

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

Have they been contenders since Joe Namath made his guarantee in SBIII?

They actually made an afc title game 4 times since 1969 including back to back years in 2010 and 2011

But outside some isolated 1-2 years spurts like that they've been bad since SB 3.  And especially recently.  One season above .500 since there last conference title game. 

• Love 1

I think the fact that Adam Gase has not been fired is an indicator that he has a job because he sucks and will help the team tank. I don't think I've seen that before. In any sport.

I saw that Gurley fell on the sword for his mistake at the goal line. But, had the Atlanta defense done their job and not allowed a 75 yard march in about a minute with no time outs left for the Lions, this would all be moot.

• Love 5

I agree. It’s not Gurley‘a fault that the defense let the Lions go 75 yards in a minute. What if they missed the field goal? Anything could have happened, but kudos to Gurley for taking the blame.

• Love 1

At the end of a hideously dark day, the Rams brought me a few hours of distraction, and I thank them.  The Bears are the first team outside the pathetic NFC East they've managed to beat, and their upcoming schedule is tough, so we'll see how things go.  But after my only highlights of the week being the Cowboys and Patriots both losing, this was a relief.

• Love 3
On 10/26/2020 at 11:23 AM, Johann said:

I guess I don't really pay that much attention to the uniforms unless they are really out-there, like the bumblebee uniforms of Pittsburgh.  However, a friend told me that when they show Seattle from above in the lime uniforms, all she sees is a bunch of fireflies.  Now I can't not see that. Thought I'd put that in everyone else's head, so you have to see fireflies every time, too.

I see pea pods when they're covered in all that green.

• LOL 1
22 hours ago, mojoween said:

I remember Joe Namath--and his panty hose commercial.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, emma675 said:

I'm in Dallas and there's a joke going around that anyone who owns a Cowboys jersey is being asked to put it on and show up for practice at 10:00am tomorrow. 🤣

Looks like they moved it up an hour...

F934F327-57B4-40F7-94E1-EB71F8238C15.jpeg

• LOL 4