Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, mojoween said:

Dak Prescott’s foot is facing the wrong way.

Romo - “as a Cowboys fan you hope it’s just a cramp.” 

I almost threw up a little, that was horrible. Romo can stfu as usual. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I almost threw up a little, that was horrible. Romo can stfu as usual. 

I usually try not to watch but it was right there. I'm heartbroken for him. He's been through so much already. 

*I know I'm a Cowboys fan but Dak seems like a good person regardless of his team affiliation. 

3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

And then the cameras linger while Dak cries all the way off the field.  Stay classy, CBS.

I almost cried with him. It's devastating  

• Love 2

I think most people like Dak despite despising the Cowboys- I am one of them and this is so heartbreaking especially after what he’s gone through this year. I’m sure his team is hurting too, and I saw the look on Jason Garrett’s face. How terrible.

• Love 15

My husband broke his ankle in a similar fashion.  Got his legtangled in the foot peg of his motorcycle as it was falling.  He was off work for 3 months.  Has plates in his ankle and a rod in his leg.    Dak is done for the season at least.

Maybe I need a shot of Crown Royal.  Or take a deep breath & have a glass of water, but I absolutely hate it when a human being that has perfect attendance lose that mark (over injury)

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

My husband broke his ankle in a similar fashion.  Got his legtangled in the foot peg of his motorcycle as it was falling.  He was off work for 3 months.  Has plates in his ankle and a rod in his leg.    Dak is done for the season at least.

I couldn't figure out what I was looking at, at first. I thought a piece of his shoe had popped out and then I realized his foot was dangling off his ankle. With all Dak had been through personally, I hope he can come back from this and still play. And I hope he has a good support system watching over him. Poor guy.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Carey said:

Maybe I need a shot of Crown Royal.  Or take a deep breath & have a glass of water, but I absolutely hate it when a human being that has perfect attendance lose that mark (over injury)

Or the utter stupidity of a coach.  Fuck you still, McAdoo!

The ankle broke when his foot hit the turf, before the Giants player even came down on him.  What a freak thing!  I feel so sorry for him.

• Love 3

Poor Dak. He's a good person and was playing well this year in spite of the Cowboys losing record. Up until this moment he was having Eli Manning type of durability. It's rough to see him suffer the type of injury he did today. I wish him a healthy and speedy recovery. 

I do wonder how the Cowboys fare going forward. Andy Dalton is one of the better backups in the league. (And he could still be a starter some places.) He can be decent. Maybe the team will kind of rally and try and play better for Dak/each other. The NFC east is a bad division and both Washington and Philly lost their games today. I could honestly see like seven wins winning the division. So, The Cowboys still have some wiggle room to win it.

Also, Cleveland is having a nice start to the season. I'm glad to see it and if they win today, wonder how long their winning streak might last. They have definitely been one of the longest suffering franchises in the league, so it's nice to see them having a good start/winning record.

And the bad teams in this league continue to be bad like the Jets, Bengals. And also the Falcons (who fired Dan Quinn) and the Jags. I was liking the Jags this year and they started out promising in their first game this season against the Colts. Their offense in particular looked good, but things have gone off the rails, their defense is playing poorly. And they have not let three winless teams get their first win against them. I wish they would do better. I really like Gardner Minshew and want to see him do well. (And he's actually is having a pretty solid individual season statistically.) But if these bad teams continue to trend the way they are, it is going to be a loaded race for the top draft pick.

• Love 3

And the asshole did it again.  "As a Cowboy fan."

No, jerkoff, I'm not a Cowboy fan.  I'm a fan of the team that helped kicked your ass every damn time you got into the playoffs. 

Even Troy Aikman doesn't say that shit.

• Love 1

I hope someone puts Dak in touch with Alex Smith.  Terrible symmetry today. 

I hate the Cowboys but Dak is a good guy.  I remember a story from his rookie year when he was sitting on the bench and tossed his water cup at the trash can.  He missed and instead of letting someone else pick it up or just ignore it, he got up and made sure his trash was properly disposed of.  Just showed that he takes care of the little things and I've liked him ever since.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

And the Niners/Dolphins game is on FOX, despite the NFC team hosting. The networks should have switched this game with the Cowboys/Giants to be on the "correct" networks. 

I blame Covid. 😵

San Francisco would've been on FOX regardless, especially going back to pre 2014 NFL scheduling.

Of course if this were football pre 1994, Giants & Cowboys being on CBS would be simply traditional.  If New York hadn't been so bad, you'd see the emotion from Troy Aikman, I think, as it relates to Dak.  Joe would've be a professional, but I think Pat & John would be devastated more than Jim and even Tony.

If you're accustomed to Western Pennsylvania, I don't think I've heard another Black N Gold fan blurt out, "Hey, I love the Cowboys! It's okay to love both teams!!" People that've been around longer than me might echo that; having said that, Dak will be back.  With the work put in, Prescott will be back

• Love 2

I'm glad to see the Cowboys squeak out the win against the Giants. It almost looked like a for a moment there that kick might not go in. But it did and now they are #1 in that bad NFC east division, lol. I think they can still win it, because it's currently a very weak division.

Also glad to see the Browns get their fourth win in a row against the Colts. I saw a fact that stated the last time they were 4-1 Bill Belichick was the HC and Nick Saban was on the team as a defensive coordinator, in 1994. It's definitely been a while, lol, but good for them. Next week's matchup against the Steelers should be interesting.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Compound fracture and dislocation of Dak's right ankle. I've heard surgery is already scheduled for tomorrow. 😢

Dallas media is reporting surgery is tonight. Either way, I hope it's a clean surgery and he can come back at some point. 

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Carey said:

San Francisco would've been on FOX regardless, especially going back to pre 2014 NFL scheduling.

Of course if this were football pre 1994, Giants & Cowboys being on CBS would be simply traditional.

It's always been that for interconference games, the away team is what determines the network.  Today, Fox had Philly traveling to Pittsburgh. That was correct.  CBS should have had Miami-SF and Fox should have had Giants-Cowboys today.  I can only think that the rapid changes in the schedule this week might have upset the network coverage.

Prior to 1994, CBS carried the NFC, so yes, they would have covered that game.  Not by tradition but by contract.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Dallas media is reporting surgery is tonight. Either way, I hope it's a clean surgery and he can come back at some point. 

Geez, my husband had to wait to the next day.    Too many gunshot wounds taking up all the surgeons (kid you not).   I feel for Dak right now.   My husband hasn't ridden the bike in months because he doesn't want to risk an accident and be in the hospital with Covid still an issue.   Although it looks like Dak's family can be with him.   

I feel bad for Dak. I hate to see a nice young man hurt like that. I hope the injury won't be career-ending, maybe just for the rest of the season.

In other news, Vikings are ahead of Seattle 13-0 at the half. I'm afraid to be too happy about it because that will jinx things. After all we were ahead of Titans nearly the whole game 2 weeks ago and Titans ended up winning anyway. But Vikings defense has been really good tonight. I don't know what happened. A rookie playing his first NFL game (Lynch) sacked Russell Wilson.

Time for the second half!

• Love 1

I feel bad for dak....

But it's a business and given his lack of long term deal in dallas and the contract situation, it raises a whole bunch of questions about what happens to him after this season. 

Before the season the idea of the colts going after him I thought was absurd though there were rumors of it. Now assuming he recovers from injury and if dallas isn't going to sign him.....not so crazy. Phillip rivers has sucked this year. Basically the two colts losses this season are largely on him.  Colts either going with Eason next year or go after a free agent qb again. Rivers is done

2 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

The Falcons have fired Dan Quinn. Shocked. 

Not. They're terrible.

And they fired Dmitroff as well. Should have been fired before the season began.

1 hour ago, meowmommy said:
2 hours ago, Carey said:

Of course if this were football pre 1994, Giants & Cowboys being on CBS would be simply traditional.

It's always been that for interconference games, the away team is what determines the network.  Today, Fox had Philly traveling to Pittsburgh. That was correct.  CBS should have had Miami-SF and Fox should have had Giants-Cowboys today.  I can only think that the rapid changes in the schedule this week might have upset the network coverage.

Prior to 1994, CBS carried the NFC, so yes, they would have covered that game.  Not by tradition but by contract.

I'm aware.  I guess traditional may not have been the best word (even though I grew up with Dallas on CBS with Summerall and Madden before the same duo called those and other big NFC games on FOX).

The away team determining the network hasn't been a lock for the past several years.  It's not related to the pandemic, but in 2014 the concept of cross-flexing was introduced.   So the league can determine what network can carry what games.  I was still surprised to see an NFC East game featuring the Cowboys on a Network that primarily carries the AFC (in CBS), no matter how bad they were

38 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I feel bad for Dak. I hate to see a nice young man hurt like that. I hope the injury won't be career-ending, maybe just for the rest of the season.

In other news, Vikings are ahead of Seattle 13-0 at the half. I'm afraid to be too happy about it because that will jinx things. After all we were ahead of Titans nearly the whole game 2 weeks ago and Titans ended up winning anyway. But Vikings defense has been really good tonight. I don't know what happened. A rookie playing his first NFL game (Lynch) sacked Russell Wilson.

Time for the second half!

I think you spoke to soon re the Vikings. Seattle looks like an entirely different team in the second half.

Glad I wasn't watching the Cowboys/Giants.  Seeing an injury like that is godawful. There's always that second of disbelief/confusion about why the foot or leg looks like that, and then the nauseating reality hits.  I saw Dak trending on Twitter with words like "brutal injury" and "gruesome injury" and knew I have to avoid ESPN and the NFL Network for a while.  As much as I dislike the Cowboys and Jerry Jones, Dak has always seemed like a good guy, and I wish him a speedy, uncomplicated recovery.  

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Court said:
27 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Not. They're terrible.

And they fired Dmitroff as well. Should have been fired before the season began.

You know 2020 Atlanta Falcons are an awful team this year if they had to fire their head coach and general manager BEFORE the conclusion of the 2019-2020 NBA season!

• LOL 2
49 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I think you spoke to soon re the Vikings. Seattle looks like an entirely different team in the second half.

And thank goodness, the Vikes look like a different team in the 4th quarter from the beginning of the 3rd quarter. Two minutes left, still anything can happen. I can't be happy until it's over.

That was terrific play towards the end of that Seahawks/Vikings game from Russell Wilson and DJ Metcalf. Russ did a good job of driving the team down the field within the last couple of minutes and DK came up big with that TD catch to give the Seahawks the lead. Russ has been playing very well this season, (though he usually plays well.) Maybe this will be the season where he gets an MVP. He's definitely playing at that type of level right now IMO. 

• Love 3

What a game.  Though that ending was very tough for Minnesota, as in the last play.  Maybe I didn't hear the whistle, but unless there was one, there was no whistle.  Someone on the Vikings should've called timeout as soon as the ball was recovered.  Easier to say while I'm not on the field, but it's all about the details.

So much for saying that Russell would've taken a hit for MVP against a team that plays Green Bay twice.  Maybe Aaron wouldn't have caught up to him and past him, but it's now a three-person race.

Too much time left, but if Russell plays this way over the next couple of years or so, maybe he get Pete Carroll off the hook for some of Pete's mistakes.  Or just one that occurred at State Farm Stadium

23 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Meh whoever wins the Superbowl this season will have a huge asterisk. It's hard to judge how teams would have played had they had tons of players not fallen sick with covid.

If they get through the season with everyone playing 16 games, I don't think there will be an asterisk.  In history, I think it'll just be treated like teams overrun with injuries. 

It's the playoffs where things will get interesting if one of the playoff teams comes down with an outbreak. 

3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Geez, my husband had to wait to the next day.    Too many gunshot wounds taking up all the surgeons (kid you not).  

Your husband wasn't an NFL quarterback.  The surgeons who will work on him aren't in the ER with the gunshot victims.  No sirreee.

The Vikings should have done a quarterback sneak.  I felt what they did try took too long to set up for how little they had to cover.

4 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

It's the playoffs where things will get interesting if one of the playoff teams comes down with an outbreak. 

Think they would they consider pushing the playoffs so that the 12 teams all go into an NBA like bubble protocol for 14 -20 days?  It would extend the season by about a month-ish and eliminate home field advantage but would allow for stricter monitoring and reduce outbreaks. Or is the SB an absolutely locked in immovable date? Thing is if they’re gonna move it, now is the absolute latest they could decide and to begin gearing up for playoff bubble preparations.

In terms of a bubble for the league, I see them starting to plan for one sometime in the second half of next month, if not considering it publicly for the first time, and then taking the next step in the first half of December.

It goes without saying that the NFL is king, but to what degree, if at all, when it comes to clashing with March Madness?  Football you'd think should have more in terms of revenue, what's the ratio when going head-to-head with all the universities put together?  I'm rather curious; I haven't heard of anything that'll lead to a cancellation of the NCAA Tournament for the second time in as many years, but I don't know if I'd be a fan of pushing everything back 6-8 weeks when they could've pushed everything up 1-2 weeks!

Now that Dan Quinn is out in Atlanta, maybe a Seattle reunion?  That way, in the event teams stop Russell, they won't lose all the time!

7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:
On 10/11/2020 at 12:48 AM, Growsonwalls said:

Meh whoever wins the Superbowl this season will have a huge asterisk. It's hard to judge how teams would have played had they had tons of players not fallen sick with covid.

If they get through the season with everyone playing 16 games, I don't think there will be an asterisk.  In history, I think it'll just be treated like teams overrun with injuries. 

11 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Geez, my husband had to wait to the next day.    Too many gunshot wounds taking up all the surgeons (kid you not).  

Your husband wasn't an NFL quarterback.  The surgeons who will work on him aren't in the ER with the gunshot victims.  No sirreee.

Funny, my husband said the same thing when I mentioned how he had to wait.   

7 hours ago, TobinAlbers said:

. Or is the SB an absolutely locked in immovable date? Thing is if they’re gonna move it, now is the absolute latest they could decide and to begin gearing up for playoff bubble preparations.

It's not so much locked in (they moved it for the 2001 season).   It's the host city has preparations already in place with locations committed for certain events, that might have things committed on the new week.   I know that was a problem with moving it before.   It's not so much that the date is fixed, it's that you might not have the venue on the new date.    Changing cities would really screw over the host city who had already invested in all the necessary planning.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Court said:
9 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Not. They're terrible.

Both of them should of been fired when the Falcons choked away that Super Bowl. 

39 minutes ago, Carey said:

Now that Dan Quinn is out in Atlanta, maybe a Seattle reunion?  That way, in the event teams stop Russell, they won't lose all the time!

I don't want him anywhere near an NFL Franchise in any capacity. Even the College Football teams should avoid him at all costs. That rotten stench of that type of Super Bowl failure will be there forever & I don't want any other teams associating themselves with that. Unless its the Cowboys. 

Speaking of the Cowboys, I despised them very much & Jerry Jones is very unrootable. But, I feel absolutely terrible for Dak Prescott right now. Hopefully, he can recover from that awful ankle injury & be ready to go for next season. As for Andy Dalton, I can wait for him to fail like he did for the Bengals. He hasn't won a playoff game yet (0-4) & he will certainly not win a playoff game with the Cowboys. BTW, they're in first place in that pathetic NFC East.

The commercial for MNF wonders if Alvin Kamara is ready to run on prime time, and I feel like he’s done that?  Like he might be the running back who has been on prime time the most?

It just struck me funny that the copy made it sound like he’s some rookie blinded by a national game.

• LOL 1
5 minutes ago, xaxat said:

How is it that two coaches got fired before Adam Gase"

It really is amazing, isn't it?!

OTOH, and FWIW it isn't a shocker either.  Atlanta & Houston are capable of containing for a championship.  New York is capable of containing for Trevor Lawrence.

Personally, I think that I would've been more surprised had Adam Gase been let go first.  Bill O'Brien and Dan Quinn should've been kicked out during the off-season, especially Bill.  No reason for the Texans to fail with an offensive coach, a fairly good offense & a respectable defense (featuring a former DPOY).  No reason for the Falcons to fail with an defensive coach, a fairly good defense & a respectable offense (featuring a former league MVP).  The Jets have the Patriots & the Bills in their division, but they're a mess.  They'll fire Gase on January 4 but even with Lawrence, there's no guarantee they'll be good going forward