Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

18 minutes ago, twoods said:

Yeah just take your medicine and pay your fine because there is video evidence you weren’t wearing your mask. Pete Carroll was the worst last week. Idiots.

Im not a Jets fan but I feel really bad for how many injuries they have. No wonder their offense is terrible, and then their D gets tired. I wonder how many games they will win this year.

And Pete has been lax about mask wearing again today. 

• Love 1

Of course my fantasy team is facing Russell Wilson and the Indianapolis D this week. Another 5 TD's this week for Russ.

Stat of the week: The halftime score of the Dallas-Seattle game was 23-15. That's the first time a score has been 23-15 at the half in the history of the NFL.

• Useful 1

In fantasy play defense special teams combined, so in that sense the colts D/ special teams scored 16.   

As much as I'd like to believe the colts D is great they've played kirk cousins, gardner minshew and Sam darnold so far.  Next week it's files or tribusky and then decent QBs in burrow, having a nice rookie season, and an improved mayfield.  

Minshew only had one incompletion.  I won't be convinced for awhile if they can stop a good offense. 

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Moose135 said:
4 hours ago, Carey said:

Similar to Washington, the Giants are rebuilding

The Giants have been rebuilding for about five years now...

So has Washington.  That's generously speaking; if someone asked me how, I'd say "I don't know".  If I had to bet on it, I'd say Washington isn't in a rebuild; they just suck as a football team

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Carey said:

So has Washington.  That's generously speaking; if someone asked me how, I'd say "I don't know".  If I had to bet on it, I'd say Washington isn't in a rebuild; they just suck as a football team

It's starts with the owners.

speaking of teams with suspect owners, I don't think I'd dislike the Cowboys so much if the announcers and analysts and sports show hosts (Skip) that love them didn't fall all over themselves in orgasmic delight every time they play slightly better than mediocre football.  Last week Michael Irvin acted like a fool after they came back (against Atlanta ::rolls eyes::) , as if that meant they were obviously going to win the Super Bowl this year.  And the next five years.  Like to see how he is reacting tonight.

2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Aren't they considered special teams?  Special teams usually has players from both sides of the ball.  But if we lump the extra point in with the offense total after a score, I think it's fair the extra point is credited to the defense after a score as well.  No one talks about the offense scoring 18 unanswered points after 3 TDs in a row; they say 21 unanswered points.

Wasn't sure where I fell on this debate, but you convinced me.  

• Love 2
10 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

They gotta fire Quinn, right?
And how about them Vikings? 

They better fire everyone from Tommy Boy down. It's baffling and infuriating. 

I'm never one to call for a coaching fire this early but it's the only option. 

9 hours ago, Johann said:

Last week Michael Irvin acted like a fool after they came back (against Atlanta ::rolls eyes::) , as if that meant they were obviously going to win the Super Bowl this year.  And the next five years.  Like to see how he is reacting tonight.

As Deon Sanders once said during a debate on NFL Network "He's probably wearing Cowboys' shorts right now."   Irvin as a former Cowboy does not even begin to offer an objective asssement of the Cowboys.   He does the same thing about anyone wearing the number 88 -- on any team.   He SUCKS as an analyst because he doesn't analyze.   He's a PR guy for the Cowboys not a sports reporter.   

How other analysts react is the better judge of how they are doing.

I was yelling at the tv telling McCarthy he better not try for 2 if they score, just go for the field goal and the tie.   Then I laughed and said who am I kidding, they aren't going to score.   I was right.   But you know, coming back from the deficits they did the last two weeks IS pretty impressive.   Especially against the Seahawks.   Yeah they shouldn't have been in the hole to begin with.    But look at John Elway, Hall of Famer, known as the King of 4th Quarter Comebacks.   You don't get that title by leading the whole game.

• Love 2

Gardiner Minshew has a Dennis Ecklersley hairdo from the late 80s/early 90s.

That was a tough loss for the Vikings especially when they had the lead most of the game. At least it wasn't a dismal loss like the one to the Colts. It was nice to see Cook and Thielen make good plays and good to see rookie Justin Jefferson catch those passes, especially the long one where he scored. If only Bailey made the field goal . . . If only Bradbury hadn't blown the snap . . . If only Cousins hadn't thrown that interception . . . etc., etc.

Tannehilll's missed snap was funny. If you look at the replay he was surprised by the ball and actually dodged it (jumped to the left).

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Are the Giants so bad that they get crushed by a 49er team that's running on three wheels?

The defending NFC champions, even missing 40% of their starters, know how to win games, whereas the Giants minus just a couple important playmakers on offense DO NOT yet know how to overcome that and win games.

Honestly, I'm less disappointed by getting wiped out by the 49ers than I am about losing last week to the Bears. 

If the Giants had managed to score at the end of that game, They'd be tied for first place right now.

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

The defending NFC champions, even missing 40% of their starters, know how to win games, whereas the Giants minus just a couple important playmakers on offense DO NOT yet know how to overcome that and win games.

Honestly, I'm less disappointed by getting wiped out by the 49ers than I am about losing last week to the Bears. 

If the Giants had managed to score at the end of that game, They'd be tied for first place right now.

If the Giants win next week they could be tied for first!

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, xaxat said:

One weird thing about yesterday? For the Texans/Steelers broadcast they ran a Belichick Subway ad instead of the one featuring the three Watt brothers who were playing in that game.

I find the fact BB agreed to do those adds so odd.  Ads obviously aren't his thing.  Great coach but he has all the onscreen persona of a depressed and narcoleptic walrus. He doesn't likely need the money.  Shocks me that came about. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Watching John Harbaugh scream in a ref's face with his mask pulled down around his neck made me irrationally angry. Pull your mask up, jackass. I hope the NFL fines the Ravens over that.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, emma675 said:

Watching Jim Harbaugh scream in a ref's face with his mask pulled down around his neck made me irrationally angry. Pull your mask up, jackass. I hope the NFL fines the Ravens over that.

If the NFL would like coaches to comply, making something like that a penalty would get compliance probably more than fines would.

• Love 6

Soooooo, not the Ravens best game but it's early in the season.  Last year they lost their third and fourth games and won the rest of their season, so no reason to panic.  Not crazy about the way they lost, but again, it was a bad loss against the Browns last season.  Onto next week...  Go Ravens!

Go Fish!!  I love me some Big Man touchdowns.

Stat of the night: Eric Fisher, 1st overall pick, scored a TD.  Last 1st overall pick to do so: Keyshawn Johnson.

Edited by voiceover
it's good to be specific even when you're drunk
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, emma675 said:

Watching Jim John Harbaugh scream in a ref's face with his mask pulled down around his neck made me irrationally angry. Pull your mask up, jackass. I hope the NFL fines the Ravens over that.

He's far from alone, and I've been hollering about this since week one; it's part of why I'm interested to see what comes of this appeal from coaches who are on camera clearly and consistently flouting the mask rule under which they've been fined -- they must be challenging the necessity/fairness of the rule itself (since they can't reasonably claim they didn't violate it), and I'm open to some changes, but if they don't crack down on this ridiculous habit of pulling one's mask down to get right up in someone's face to talk, I'm going to flip.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, xaxat said:

One weird thing about yesterday? For the Texans/Steelers broadcast they ran a Belichick Subway ad instead of the one featuring the three Watt brothers who were playing in that game.

I had the Texans/Steelers and they had the Watt brothers commercial for me.  IIRC, they ran it more than once, but I did see the Belichick one as well

It’s starting.  Amazing we got through three full weeks.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/09/29/tennessee-titans-players-positive-for-covid-19/amp/

Tennessee has suspended activities until Friday Saturday and Sunday’s game against the Steelers is not confirmed as a go.  (Edit to wonder - how do you play the second best team in the conference with NO practice?)

Ok one more edit.  If I am hearing Dianna Russini correctly, a Titans coach tested positive BEFORE the Vikings game.  But since everyone else tested negative on Sunday, they played.  Do they not understand the incubation period?  If this is accurate, how irresponsible.  It’s the Marlins foolishness all over again.

Edited by mojoween
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

When you have facemasks on, you cannot SHOUT AT THE REFS and make yourself understood (they think).  That is why Any Reid is, once again, the smartest guy in the room for coming up with the plexiglass shield (and now, its new and improved with less fogging!)

• Love 6

Glad Foles is getting his chance. Hope he doesn't break something. 

Cardinals better not flame out already! I remain unsure about Kyler Murray. He always looks like, "whatever" on the field when a play goes bad. And his press conferences after a loss are always like, "yeah, we just need to play better." I want to see some piss and vinegar, and some fire on the sidelines like we get from Mahomes, Wilson, etc. 

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

It’s starting.  Amazing we got through three full weeks.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/09/29/tennessee-titans-players-positive-for-covid-19/amp/

Tennessee has suspended activities until Friday Saturday and Sunday’s game against the Steelers is not confirmed as a go.  (Edit to wonder - how do you play the second best team in the conference with NO practice?)

Ok one more edit.  If I am hearing Dianna Russini correctly, a Titans coach tested positive BEFORE the Vikings game.  But since everyone else tested negative on Sunday, they played.  Do they not understand the incubation period?  If this is accurate, how irresponsible.  It’s the Marlins foolishness all over again.

Just read from the Steelers that the game is planned to be played on Sunday, as scheduled. The contingency moves the game to Monday night. They mentioned nothing about cancellation.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, basiltherat said:

That is why Any Reid is, once again, the smartest guy in the room for coming up with the plexiglass shield (and now, its new and improved with less fogging!)

I wonder how effective it is.  Face shields alone don't stop aerosol spread as well as masks.  But I do see his shield tends to go around the side of the face more than regular shields so maybe that helps.  However, the bottom is open.

Ok one more edit.  If I am hearing Dianna Russini correctly, a Titans coach tested positive BEFORE the Vikings game.  But since everyone else tested negative on Sunday, they played.  Do they not understand the incubation period?

Yep and now the Vikings game next week is in danger as well.  I wonder if they're going to take a wait and see approach to see if any Vikings tests positive over the week.

The Falcons also had a player test positive but played their game.  They will be an interested team to watch too.  Luckily, it'll be about 10 days in between his positive test and the Monday night game they have against the Packers so hopefully if it spread there, they'll know by then.

Since the Titans just played the Vikings, the Vikings too have had to suspend activities. They evacuated the training facility around 9:00 am this morning after they heard about Tennessee. U.S. Bank Stadium will have to be hosed down with disenfectant, especially the visiting team locker room, the field and the visiting team's benches, etc. At least the stadium is only being used for football right now and the Vikings' next game is away at Houston.

• Useful 3
39 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Since the Titans just played the Vikings, the Vikings too have had to suspend activities. They evacuated the training facility around 9:00 am this morning after they heard about Tennessee. U.S. Bank Stadium will have to be hosed down with disenfectant, especially the visiting team locker room, the field and the visiting team's benches, etc. At least the stadium is only being used for football right now and the Vikings' next game is away at Houston.

Though it appears that Minnesota is taking precautions despite being on the road (so as not to affect Houston; and even so, 3 of the top AFC teams already played Houston).

52 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

Just read from the Steelers that the game is planned to be played on Sunday, as scheduled. The contingency moves the game to Monday night. They mentioned nothing about cancellation.

Totally not the same as the Marlins thing.  Probably night and day between the Marlins & the Titans.  Even if Monday can't work, it would probably move to Week 7 well before a cancellation.  Not that maybe people testing positive (yet) but too soon to actually bump it

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I wonder how effective it is.  Face shields alone don't stop aerosol spread as well as masks.  But I do see his shield tends to go around the side of the face more than regular shields so maybe that helps.  However, the bottom is open.

Right.  Face shields are considered a replacement for goggles, and are to protect the wearer.  They are supposed to be worn in conjunction with a mask, which protects those around the wearer.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Carey said:

Though it appears that Minnesota is taking precautions despite being on the road (so as not to affect Houston; and even so, 3 of the top AFC teams already played Houston).

Totally not the same as the Marlins thing.  Probably night and day between the Marlins & the Titans.  Even if Monday can't work, it would probably move to Week 7 well before a cancellation.  Not that maybe people testing positive (yet) but too soon to actually bump it

But there is a 2 week incubation period.   How can they say "well no one tested positive after the game so we are good?"    You can test and trace all you want, but there is still a 2 week incubation period.   So the people exposed on Sunday might not test positive the following week just because the viral load is not detectable yet.

• Love 2

On Tuesday, the Titans placed three players — starting nose tackle DaQuan Jones, long snapper Beau Brinkley and practice-squad tight end Tommy Hudson — on the COVID reserve list, which is for players who test positive or are in quarantine for being in close contact with an infected person. ( quote from Minneapolis Star Tribune)

So the nose tackle would be the player most likely to infect one or more Viking. I guess the nose tackle lines up against the center, so Garrett Bradbury, Vikings Center, would be in most danger. But the offensive front line would probably be in most danger, plus Kirk if DaQuan tackled him.  I suppose the long snapper could endanger Vikings special teams guys if he does blocking or anything like that. I plan to rewatch the game later this week so I'll keep an eye out for DaQuan.

I hope these three guys make it through Covid OK and that no one else is infected. 

By the way, the Vikings and my fantasy team (Fighting Lambs) have the same record, 0-3. I need to get Justin Jefferson off the bench and into the regular lineup.

Edited by Lamb18

Titans-Steelers postponed to Monday Night, maybe Tuesday depending on further test results.    The Titans plan to open back up on Saturday but 3 of the players who tested positive are seriously sick.   Do they think those players will come back if they feel better?   Or the one's not sick will just come back?     Not liking how this is being handled.

The Raiders are even worse.    Gruden -- WHO HAD COVID and should know better -- fined for not wearing a mask.   Unauthorized people in the locker room after Week 2.    The protocols are to limit the people to reduce risk.    Apparently the Raiders let extra people come in.   Then, because its Vegas Baby, the STARTING QUARTERBACK and several other players go out and party after the game on Monday night.   At a party whose size is currently prohibited under regulations.    The Raiders clearly aren't taking this seriously.     

4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

But there is a 2 week incubation period.   How can they say "well no one tested positive after the game so we are good?"    You can test and trace all you want, but there is still a 2 week incubation period.  

14 days is about showing symptoms, I believe. Although the average is 5 days. I don't think it has anything to do with when a COVID test would come back positive.  The time frame for that might be much earlier in the disease progression but that's also the time when a false negative could be triggered.

Maybe they're thinking that if no one tests positive over the week, that the odds are slim anyone got it on the Vikings.

6 hours ago, merylinkid said:

The Raiders are even worse.    Gruden -- WHO HAD COVID and should know better -- fined for not wearing a mask. Unauthorized people in the locker room after Week 2.    The protocols are to limit the people to reduce risk.    Apparently the Raiders let extra people come in.   Then, because its Vegas Baby, the STARTING QUARTERBACK and several other players go out and party after the game on Monday night.   At a party whose size is currently prohibited under regulations.    The Raiders clearly aren't taking this seriously.

Since the $100K fine isn't being taken seriously, maybe this will catch their attention:

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, basiltherat said:

Why would you even CONDUCT an inside fund raiser, which everyone knows damn well is going to attract way too many people.  Is it even LEGAL in Vegas?  (what am I saying, EVERYTHING is legal in Vegas!)

No, that ESPN article states it violated Nevada regulations, so the league is looking into it because NFL and NFLPA rules are not allowed to attend any event that "violates local and state restrictions".  And the venue (a country club in Henderson) was fined $2000 by the city for four violations of those state regulations, including people not wearing masks and more than 50 people at the event.

• Useful 2

I'm really surprised it took this long for a game(s) to be affected by positive tests.  I don't understand why people need to pull masks down to talk.  I am able to communicate just fine with my mask on.  I guess Gruden and Payton think they are  immune since they have had the disease, but haven't the scientists come to the conclusion that you can get it a second time?  I have been watching for news about the Falcons, since they are the next opponent for the Packers.  So far it's confined to the one guy, but it's only been a few days since his positive test.  

1 hour ago, Calvada said:

I'm really surprised it took this long for a game(s) to be affected by positive tests.  I don't understand why people need to pull masks down to talk.  I am able to communicate just fine with my mask on.  I guess Gruden and Payton think they are  immune since they have had the disease, but haven't the scientists come to the conclusion that you can get it a second time?  I have been watching for news about the Falcons, since they are the next opponent for the Packers.  So far it's confined to the one guy, but it's only been a few days since his positive test.  

Same especially with adults. Now I work with kids and a lot of 4/5 year olds and it is very difficult to understand them with their mask on. Especially if they aren't close to me and it's noisy. Add on a speech delay for a few and I have to super concentrate on them and block everything out to understand. 

As a Falcons fan, I'm kinda hoping everyone quarantines and they fire everyone before the next game. It will be very interesting to see if it is just confined to Terrell as it seems to have spread quickly through the Titans 

Titans have 8 positive tests - 3 players and 5 staff.

So far Vikings have had 0 positive tests this week. There were some positive tests at the beginning of training camp and then there was that big mess of the false positive tests during camp. But, as Rick Spielman said, that gave them a dress rehearsal for a Covid 19 scenario taking place during the season. The Vikings training facility opens up today and everybody's going to practice. They are probably more worried about the cornerback situation than Covid. Besides people leaving after last season, there are 3 corners that are injured. So the new guys are getting tossed in there. It was nice last Sunday to see Gladney (rookie) tearing down the field and taking down the guy with the ball. But I'm seeing Smith, Harris and Kendricks doing most of the work in stopping plays.

• Useful 1

Adam Schefter said that we are going to watch the Jets for three hours tonight and that sounds like a threat, Adam.

Why am I not surprised that the first team to flout COVID rules by throwing a maskless charity event and partying it up in Vegas is the Raiders?  

• LOL 7

Tennessee vs. Pittsburgh is now off for this weekend...two more positives for Tennessee today.  I read somewhere that they can shuffle bye weeks all around to make it work so all the teams get in the same number of games.  Now we wait and see if other teams have outbreaks.

• Useful 2