Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

You would think they could find a game to put into the Thursday night slot.   Not that the Titans are playing any time soon.   TWO new players tested positive yesterday.   They have to have 2 days of no new cases before they can open up.   They've managed one day since the outbreak began.   Including a player who allegedly did NOT participate in the unauthorized workout(s).

The Titans had two consecutive days of no positives reported earlier in the week-on Monday and Tuesday- from Sunday and Monday testing.  The plan was for them to open up on Wednesday but Wed. morning the Tuesday testing returned two positives which meant that couldn't happen.

I'd heard spec of possibly putting the Packers/Bucs on next Thursday.  The Packers are currently in a bye week so it wouldn't be a sudden short week for them and the Bucs would have a full week in between games.  It'd suck a little for the Packers since they wouldn't get a full two weeks in between games like most teams get with a bye but they would get a mini-bye right away. 

And no team would have a surprise short week.

• Love 1

In a memo obtained by ESPN, senior vice president of officiating administration Perry Fewell wrote, "We have seen multiple occasions where head coaches have removed their masks to communicate with game officials during games. Doing so creates unnecessary, increased risk for the game official, the head coach, and others, and is inconsistent with the requirement that face coverings be worn at all times. ... Consistent with all other individuals on the sideline, game officials are entitled to your respect as they perform their job duties during the pandemic."

THANK YOU.  This is what drives me nuts; just breathing near someone means if you were an asymptomatic carrier it would take a good bit of sustained interaction to pass an infectious load of the virus.  Cough or, especially, sneeze when you unknowingly have the virus and, good gods, precious little time is necessary to infect.  Somewhere in between is talking (we don't yet know how many particles of this specific virus are necessary for infection, but we can guess based on similar viruses and plug that into a general infectious disease formula about how many particles are released per minute via breathing, talking, singing, coughing, sneezing).  Thus avoiding people whenever possible, and wearing masks to reduce the risk of every level of exposure that can't be avoided.

So hollering at someone a couple of feet from you about a call is when you need to make sure your mask is properly secured, not when you should pull it down!  Far too many coaches do not/will not grasp this, so whatever the league needs to do to hammer it home, go for it.

Meh whoever wins the Superbowl this season will have a huge asterisk. It's hard to judge how teams would have played had they had tons of players not fallen sick with covid. Unlike the NBA they never created a bubble to ensure the rest of the season could play out in a safe environment. 

• Love 1

With all the shuffling around, I had to check the NFL site to see who is actually playing today.    @mojoween  Giants-Cowboys still on.   Let's see how big a deficit the Cowboys have to come back from THIS time.  If we lose to a team still figuring it out, I just will crawl under a rock.  

• LOL 3
8 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The NFL needs to SHUT. IT. DOWN.

They do. But they won't. Obviously the NFL cares only about money. They certainly don't understand the concepts of isolating and quarantining. 

• Love 5

I just can’t believe that Goodell does not have ANYONE in his ear telling him the constant moving around of games is not good for the league and is actually pretty ridiculous.  It’s just making them look dumb and stubborn.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

With all the shuffling around, I had to check the NFL site to see who is actually playing today.    @mojoween  Giants-Cowboys still on.   Let's see how big a deficit the Cowboys have to come back from THIS time.  If we lose to a team still figuring it out, I just will crawl under a rock.  

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

The NFL needs to SHUT. IT. DOWN.

1 hour ago, scriggle said:

They do. But they won't. Obviously the NFL cares only about money. They certainly don't understand the concepts of isolating and quarantining. 

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Pats had a positive test overnight.   Facility shut down.   

Titans had a staffer test positive.   Shut down AGAIN.  

I knew that this was a bad idea to have the football season this year.

Edited by ClassicShowsFan
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ClassicShowsFan said:

Can Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones, Xavier Woods, & Michael Irvin join you under that rock?

Maybe, we might get lucky & the Giants may actually do something good today for a change. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I just can’t believe that Goodell does not have ANYONE in his ear telling him the constant moving around of games is not good for the league and is actually pretty ridiculous.  It’s just making them look dumb and stubborn.

I totally could believe it.  The mention of their stubbornness is exactly why their struggles were inevitable

• Love 5

The Chiefs and Raiders game is a pretty good game. They are tied at 24 at the half.

I guess the Chiefs guy who was positive, he did not have any close contact with players. Everyone wears monitors that record who they are come close to so they can do contact tracing. Vikings have that and I think it's league-wide. 

But some people are doing something wrong to be getting these positives. I see a lot of players on the sidelines not wearing masks. But if all the guys tested negative before the game and they aren't in close contact with anyone else before the game, they should be OK, shouldn't they??

A Chiefs strength and conditioning coach tested positive during the week but no delay. The league is playing with Fire. 

Alex Smith is in the game as the starter got injured. Already a 300 pound guy jumped on his back like a backpack to bring him down. 

2 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

A Chiefs strength and conditioning coach tested positive during the week but no delay. The league is playing with Fire. 

Alex Smith is in the game as the starter got injured. Already a 300 pound guy jumped on his back like a backpack to bring him down. 

You know, I've often said that the NFL is scripted.  All the best to Alex, but the second Haskins got moved to 3rd string, I really should've bet big that Smith was going to go in due to Allen's injury.  Didn't think it would be the very first game since the move, but I definitely thought it would happen at some point this season!

19 hours ago, ClassicShowsFan said:

Which is 2 pm here out West.  Bizarre.

But it's moot now.  It's been moved to week 6.

There aren't enough bye weeks to cover this dumpster fire.  Shut it down for at least a month and reboot, or expect to have to shut it down until fall 2021.

22 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

But some people are doing something wrong to be getting these positives. I see a lot of players on the sidelines not wearing masks. But if all the guys tested negative before the game and they aren't in close contact with anyone else before the game, they should be OK, shouldn't they??

They're still out in the community, and there's a lag between exposure and positive testing.  That's why the bubble was the only thing that worked for these team sports.  But a bubble is just not logistically realistic in the NFL.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Which is 2 pm here out West.  Bizarre.

But it's moot now.  It's been moved to week 6.

There aren't enough bye weeks to cover this dumpster fire.  Shut it down for at least a month and reboot, or expect to have to shut it down until fall 2021.

They're still out in the community, and there's a lag between exposure and positive testing.  That's why the bubble was the only thing that worked for these team sports.  But a bubble is just not logistically realistic in the NFL.

They should’ve not had the season at all this year and should have waited until next year.

The expectation that every team will play 16 games will bring down the league. Just cancel games, and if the Patriots play 13 games and the Bills 16 and the Titans 11 so be it. Whatever accommodation you make in Week 5 will be rendered moot in week 6 when team X catches it and week 13 when teams y, z, a and b catch it. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, ClassicShowsFan said:

They should’ve not had the season at all this year and should have waited until next year.

Because of $$$$, it's the hideous truth that it will take a marquee player or coach dying from COVID to get the message across.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

The League schedule makwr is now drinking heavily.

The Saint found out the contact tracers don't always work.  They had to do additional tracing after they realized more players were around their positive player than the tracers showed.  The strength and conditioning coach is around EVERYONE.

6 hours ago, ClassicShowsFan said:

I knew that this was a bad idea to have the football season this year.

I always thought they were going to start the season but I doubt they are going to finish it. At least they are shutting down teams with positive cases unlike in college football. 

• Love 2

On the other hand CeeDee Lamb is on my fantasy team and I want him to do well.

3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I have no idea why the Giants and Cowboys are on CBS, but All Romo All the Time is not my idea of a good time.

I thought my area would get the Cleveland game since Cleveland is closer to me than New York or Dallas, but oh well. Giants just scored.

4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I have no idea why the Giants and Cowboys are on CBS

I don't either, and we didn't get the game until nearly five minutes of play time had elapsed because they stuck with the ending of the Raiders/Chiefs game.

Well it's tied now, 14-14.

After Dallas scored on an interception, a Dallas guy was holding onto the Dallas head coach's shoulders and shaking him (out of glee) and this song plays: "Baby hold on to me . . . "

55 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I have no idea why the Giants and Cowboys are on CBS, but All Romo All the Time is not my idea of a good time.

And the Niners/Dolphins game is on FOX, despite the NFC team hosting. The networks should have switched this game with the Cowboys/Giants to be on the "correct" networks. 

I blame Covid. 😵