Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Saturday morning, Cam tests positive. Saturday afternoon, the league announces the postponement of Pats/Chiefs. Sunday morning? No new positives! We're good to go, playing on Monday!

Seems a bit reckless? Especially since they still haven't nailed down what happened in Tennessee and positive tests are still popping up. God forbid a Chief tests positive on Wednesday.

• Love 9

And a lot of these players have young kids, older relatives, pregnant fiances, etc. at home, so they could be bringing it home to high risk people. Patrick Mahomes' fiance comes to mind, I would think he'd want to be extra careful now, as would other players and coaches. 

• Love 4

The Saints player was a false positive.

Never in my life did I think I would EVER root for the Chargers, but subtract Philip Rivers from LA and add Tom Brady to Tampa and here we are.

I’m also amused that Justin Herbert was two years old when Brady became the starter for NE.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

Baseball knocked off over 100 of their games because their timetable is different than football, and because they are not a sport that can be pushed into winter.  If they could have found a way to time-shift an entire season, they would have.

I know it's harder to create a bubble in the NFL than it was for the NHL and the NBA because you can't just keep all the teams in one city and play one game after another on the same field.  But at the very least, some decent quarantining and some contingency plans.  One of them being to pause the season for a month, lock down the teams, and try to reboot with some lessons learned.  A Super Bowl in March is not a terrible thing.

I don't know if I posted it here before or not, but it actually would not have been hard to create a bubble system for the NFL.  The way the schedule is set up its actually perfect for such a system to be created. 

Each division plays one other in conference division, one other out of conference division, there own division and then two other games based on division rank prior year

You create four pods for each 5 weeks to start.  8 teams are in each pod for say 5 weeks

The first 5 weeks its the 8 teams that play in conference between divisions.  For this year it would be these teams :

AFC south/ACF north

AFC east/AFC west

NFC South/NFC North

NFC east/NFC west

They each play one game a week for 4 weeks then a bye

Second 5 weeks its interconference division games, 8 teams each in 4 places

AFC South/NFC North

NFC South/AFC West

NFC east/AFC North

NFC West/AFC East

Then you do six weeks of division games, can use 8 pods for this, 4 teams each by division

You have a bye week in between each move from one pod to another.  throw in the other two games during travel time between sights if you want or just do 14 games and have some flexibility if needed for positive tests

Its actually not hard to do. 

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I don't know if I posted it here before or not, but it actually would not have been hard to create a bubble system for the NFL.  The way the schedule is set up its actually perfect for such a system to be created. 

Each division plays one other in conference division, one other out of conference division, there own division and then two other games based on division rank prior year

You create four pods for each 5 weeks to start.  8 teams are in each pod for say 5 weeks

The first 5 weeks its the 8 teams that play in conference between divisions.  For this year it would be these teams :

AFC south/ACF north

AFC east/AFC west

NFC South/NFC North

NFC east/NFC west

They each play one game a week for 4 weeks then a bye

Second 5 weeks its interconference division games, 8 teams each in 4 places

AFC South/NFC North

NFC South/AFC West

NFC east/AFC North

NFC West/AFC East

Then you do six weeks of division games, can use 8 pods for this, 4 teams each by division

You have a bye week in between each move from one pod to another.  throw in the other two games during travel time between sights if you want or just do 14 games and have some flexibility if needed for positive tests

Its actually not hard to do. 

Except that's WEEKS and MONTHS away from family.    No one wants to do that.    Even the NBA bubble was cracking near the end.   The NHL buble practially imploded when the League reneged on the deal to allow family into the bubble for the playoffs.    That's why the NFL didn't do a bubble.   The Union wouldn't agree to players being away from their families for the entire season.   You can bubble the playoffs.   You cannot bubble a full season.

• Love 3

I don't think the players would have ever agreed to a bubble. The NHL and NBA were finishing seasons and only had to spend two/two and half months in isolation. An entire NFL season would be more than twice that.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Never in my life did I think I would EVER root for the Chargers, but subtract Philip Rivers from LA and add Tom Brady to Tampa and here we are.

I'm right there with you.  I'm annoyed because I have no morning game on FOX, so I'm stuck with this stupid game until Rams/Giants -- and that I'm sitting here actually rooting for the Chargers in order to root against Tom Brady is rather weird.  But, yeah, easier without Rivers.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Except that's WEEKS and MONTHS away from family.    No one wants to do that.    Even the NBA bubble was cracking near the end.   The NHL buble practially imploded when the League reneged on the deal to allow family into the bubble for the playoffs.    That's why the NFL didn't do a bubble.   The Union wouldn't agree to players being away from their families for the entire season.   You can bubble the playoffs.   You cannot bubble a full season.

It's 4 weeks at a time away.  

The time away from family argument football players especially is weak  they are off for 6 months a year minimum.  They get all the time they want with family in the off-season half the year.  It's by far the longest off-season of any pro sport.  They are well paid, even the lowest paid players, to spend time away from family during the season.  They still get far more time than many regular working people get with their families.   That's a weak argument from the union if they are really interested in both playing the season and staying safe

You can't argue you want both the safest environment possible and want to have access to your family unfettered during the season in this environment.  It's one or the other.  

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 5

And just heard Jonathan Vilma say, regarding the postponement of Pats-Chiefs to tomorrow, "Great job improvising."

No, doofus, nothing about this should have been improvised!  This is exactly the sort of contingency for which there should have been a plan and a protocol.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Damn if Chargers, you were doing so good in the first half. 
Hahahaha Cowboys. They should be 0-4. Oh wait game isn’t over yet so Browns can still blow it.

Edited by twoods

Cleveland rocks!  Cleveland rocks!  Cleveland rocks!

Damn Falcons not understanding onside kicks prevented 0-4, and that is unforgivable.

Yeah I know my team will probably be 0-4 in three hours but I do not care.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

It's 4 weeks at a time away.  

The time away from family argument football players especially is weak  they are off for 6 months a year minimum.  They get all the time they want with family in the off-season half the year.  It's by far the longest off-season of any pro sport.  They are well paid, even the lowest paid players, to spend time away from family during the season.  They still get far more time than many regular working people get with their families.   That's a weak argument from the union if they are really interested in both playing the season and staying safe

You can't argue you want both the safest environment possible and want to have access to your family unfettered during the season in this environment.  It's one or the other.  

The bye week is travel time.   And yes, just because they are well paid does not mean they don't want to see their families.    See the kids at dinner and breakfast.   On off days maybe do the school run.    It is too long away from families.    Money will not make up for the missed time with the kids.   

Also once you leave Bubble A to travel to Bubble B -- you are exposed.   There is no way to play a full 16 game season with a bubble.

• Love 6
56 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

It's by far the longest off-season of any pro sport.  They are well paid, even the lowest paid players, to spend time away from family during the season.

It's not just the players though. It takes a lot of support to run the show. For example, we're down to two teams in NBA Finals. There are three hundred people in the bubble.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

In on the field news, can a 6-10 record win the NFC East?

I'm trying to think if it's possible to have an even worse record and still win, since you play six games in your own division.

I love my Giants but they are sad, sad, sad.

Holy Forking Shirt the NFC East is awful.

If the Eagles somehow win tonight (they won't but theoretically) they would be in 1st place because they would have a tie instead of a loss. Which would pathetic.

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Pushing it out one day???  That's supposed to make a difference?

I think it's for another day of testing.  If no more positives, they are good to go.  If there are...not sure.

I rooted against the Browns because they are in my team's division, but I can't be upset that the Cowboys lost.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Johann said:

I rooted against the Browns because they are in my team's division, but I can't be upset that the Cowboys lost.

Cowboys game plan:

1. Fall extremely behind
  2. Have Dak go nuts in the 4th qtr when it's too late.
  3. ?????
  4. Profit!
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The Rams played like shit, yet the Giants still can't manage to pull out a win.  Sigh.

Well, to be fair, the Rams probably didn't need to play well.  The same could be said for the Giants, no matter what happens on Sunday Night Football.  At this rate I'll feel awful for a 14-2 NFC North team losing on the road to a 3-10-3 NFC East team come playoff time

• Love 1

I never thought week 5 would be a big match up of 3-1 colts and the top rated d vs the 3-1 browns And a top offense.  Colts still have played any good, let alone great, offenses.  We will see how this goes.  Actually a good barometer game for both teams.  

Cowboys are a train wreck yet if philly loses tonight still in first place in the division. 

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Rams played like shit, yet the Giants still can't manage to pull out a win.  Sigh.

Do you still like Joe Judge? As a Pats fan I want to like him and for him to succeed. Him and Brian Flores. (That wish does not hold true for Matt Patricia and Bill O'Brien)

• Love 1
6 hours ago, shoregirl said:

Holy Forking Shirt the NFC East is awful.

if When  the Eagles somehow  win tonight (they won't but theoretically) they would be in 1st place because they would have a tie instead of a loss. Which would pathetic awesome.

Never had any doubts . 😂

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

The NFC East has been horrendous for a decade.  9-8 combined record in the postseason.  FTR, and to be fair, that division is responsible for 25% of the league's World Champions in that same timespan.  Also one of two divisions with one than one team that's reached and won the Super Bowl (the AFC West is the other)

15 hours ago, mojoween said:

Cleveland rocks!  Cleveland rocks!  Cleveland rocks!

Damn Falcons not understanding onside kicks prevented 0-4, and that is unforgivable.

Yeah I know my team will probably be 0-4 in three hours but I do not care.

I've been cheering for Cleveland because Kevin Stefanski is the new head coach and he used to be the Vikings' offensive coordinator. He is a good guy, very calm. I'm also cheering for Buffalo because Stefon Diggs is there. The Buffalo vs. Patriots games should be a good.

And finally, Vikings won!! and Detroit and Chicago lost!! Just need Packers to lose tonight.

Eric Sugarman, the head athletic trainer, has been contacted by a lot of teams asking how Vikings are managing Covid, since Vikings have all tested negative so far. He is in charge of the Covid program for Vikings.

46 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Ron Rivera has to be a good dude, right?

I’m still not rooting for the Washington Football Team, though.

Obviously I saw a lot of Rivera here in Charlotte, and he really does seem to be a good guy. And no, his being there won't make me root for Washington either.

• Love 2

"Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth were big babies about wearing masks for Sunday Night Football"

Hundreds of thousands of Americans are dead and the government has ground to a halt while much of the ruling party has contracted the coronavirus. The real victims: Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth, who were forced to wear a mask at work for a few hours on Sunday night.

Michaels and Collinsworth could not stop complaining about the light surgical masks they were apparently required to wear, from the very beginning to the very end of the 49ers-Eagles broadcast.

• Love 4

I initially didn't have a problem with them making a joke about [the mask or masks].  I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of them.  If someone out there loves everything involved with the masks, the concept of one, that is his or her right.  Just my opinion.

That being said, either Al and Cris could've (or should have) shut up about it & dealt with it, or maybe they should have stayed home (or out of Santa Clara).  I dislike them too, but like several things, I've turned things I disliked into things I admire.  In this case, I might not admire it but I respect it enough to wear one when deemed necessary and imperative.  While some don't have a choice for the most part, I usually minimize, or maximize my outings and appearances.

Wasn't too surprised about their comments and how often they came up.  Look, I actually enjoy hearing Al & Cris call games, but it's not a popular look right now (this after the constant talk about people's massive contracts a couple weeks back)

17 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Do you still like Joe Judge? As a Pats fan I want to like him and for him to succeed. Him and Brian Flores. (That wish does not hold true for Matt Patricia and Bill O'Brien)

I think he's fantastic. He's so very clearly cut out to be a head coach. There are great football coaches, great coordinators, but not everybody is cut out to be a head coach. This is Judge's first crack at it, and obviously he and his team are suffering from the lack of an off season to implement all new systems with a shit-ton of new and young players. But he is very clearly the man in charge of this ship, and he speaks and holds himself in a way that makes you believe that the team believes they're going to be a good team at some point. 

He's the reason I get annoyed when people lump the Giants in with the Jets right now. The Giants are building something. The Jets are tearing it apart.

The offense is not good. The line is still trying to come together. Jones looks like he still isn't completely comfortable with the new offense. When they lost Barkley and Sheppard in week 2, they lost guys who accounted for 40% of the passing game targets when they played in 2019.  The guys replacing them aren't even close in talent. And with a roster that has been completely turned over the last couple of years, they aren't in a position to deal with losing anybody important.

On the bright side, they have some division games coming up. With any luck, the other three teams will also continue to suck and maybe the Giants can pick up a win and some positive momentum.

• Love 3

I find it weird that the NFL is allowing some teams to have fans in the stands when other teams are explicitly prohibited by their governors from doing so.  Feels like it should be all or nothing to me.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I find it weird that the NFL is allowing some teams to have fans in the stands when other teams are explicitly prohibited by their governors from doing so.  Feels like it should be all or nothing to me.

It places political pressure on the states that haven't allowed fans.

8 minutes ago, xaxat said:

It places political pressure on the states that haven't allowed fans.

I would say good luck with that, but Andrew Cuomo IS going to visit Buffalo in the next few weeks to consider allowing some fans.  It does help that while downstate may be ticking up, Western New York is not.

14 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I would say good luck with that, but Andrew Cuomo IS going to visit Buffalo in the next few weeks to consider allowing some fans.  It does help that while downstate may be ticking up, Western New York is not.

Also the Giants/Jets are in New Jersey and I don't think that Murphy is in any hurry to allow large gatherings.

Personally it makes me uncomfortable to see people in the stands

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 7
22 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Bill O’Brien has been let go by the Texans.

It’s the most unsurprising surprise of the season.

The other 31 GMs are all crushed. They were hoping to finagle a couple more trades outta the guy.

I can't believe he beat Gase out the door, though.

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

This way gets the NFL off the hook.  No fans allowed?  Can't blame us, talk to your governor.  Fans allowed and people get sick?  Not our fault, talk to your team's officials.  Fans allowed and no gets sick?  You're welcome, we trusted the teams to make the decision and it worked out.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

The other 31 GMs are all crushed. They were hoping to finagle a couple more trades outta the guy.

I can't believe he beat Gase out the door, though.

The thing is Jets ownership sucks.  Houston's is more respectable

6 hours ago, meowmommy said:

"Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth were big babies about wearing masks for Sunday Night Football"

I'm sort of torn about this.  My state has a mask mandate but they do make exceptions for on air personalities.  And wearing a mask while talking as much as they talk is pretty hard. 

But they appear pretty ill prepared.  Having a good fitting mask can make it much easier so they should get on that.