Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I mean. Could the Panthers be any worse? Good lord!

Yes.

They could be the Jets.

They could be the Falcons.

If the NFL ever consider contracting a franchise or two, the Falcons better be on that list. Matt Ryan, their "so called" coach, & those dumb ass Falcons showed us once again what a bunch of losers they are. Very rarely do I get massively irritated watching NFL games (I don't have a team to root for.). But, those pathetic Falcons did it to me once again today.

Up 20-0, they find a way to choke it away losing to those scummy Cowboys 40-39. They couldn't get that onside kick at the end of the game & end up giving the Cowboys second life. At least the Lions & Browns (the Browns fans are likable) brought me some joy to life in the NFL (going 0-16). The Falcons brought me nothing but absolute anger & migraines. The Falcons are flat out unlikeable & unrootable. The Falcons can go for 0-16 & they'll find a way to mess it up. I'm certain that the sorry Clippers were blushing while watching that debacle. I'm probably certain that the Falcons would of found a way to blow a 3-1 series lead. 

Edited by Magog

Wow, the Cowboys did not deserve to win that game but it sure was a fun end (if you're not an Atlanta fan). I'm still iffy on McCarthy, they have all these great players and it's still so messy. 

I'm watching Houston and Baltimore now. Do the announcers keep saying the roof of the stadium is leaking? I know TS Beta is bringing rain there but it rains in Houston a lot, I feel like a roof leak should have been addressed way before the season started. 

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Fukui San said:
51 minutes ago, Mountainair said:

I mean. Could the Panthers be any worse? Good lord!

Yes.

They could be the Jets.

Or the Browns.  At least New York won the Big Game!

I have sad news to share. The parents of Patriots running back James White were in a car accident. His father died and his mother is in critical condition. This has been a tough week for the team Bill Belichick's mom died at the age of 98 earlier this week.

1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

Yes.

They could be the Jets.

Not only did the Panthers lose miserably the only player who can seem to score points (McCaffrey) was benched with an injury. I love him for my team but hate watching what he goes through every week. Bridgewater is a mess. Three turnovers this game. Nuts!

2 hours ago, Fukui San said:

They could be the Jets.

Seriously. How many weeks does Gace have left?

Man, that Falcons loss was brutal. It was like slow motion as four Falcons watched the onside kick slowly roll down the field.

JUMP ON IT!

• LOL 2

Jesus christ.....no tram can blow an easy win like the atlanta falcons. 

8 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Seriously. How many weeks does Gace have left?

Man, that Falcons loss was brutal. It was like slow motion as four Falcons watched the onside kick slowly roll down the field.

JUMP ON IT!

Just awful

Like a bunch of pee wee ball kids

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, kathyk24 said:

I have sad news to share. The parents of Patriots running back James White were in a car accident. His father died and his mother is in critical condition. This has been a tough week for the team Bill Belichick's mom died at the age of 98 earlier this week.

Very sad news to find out about.

1 hour ago, kathyk24 said:

I heard the team flew him to his mother on their private jet.  

• Love 1

Very awful news for those involved within the Patriots organization.  All the best for James White and family.  While Bill's mother had a great run, I have no idea of what the cause of death was.  Doesn't matter.  As has been quoted by John Donne, "Any man's death diminishes me."  With this cases for James White and Coach Belichick, it's any person.  Rest in Peace.

16 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:
16 hours ago, xaxat said:

JUMP ON IT!

Just awful

Like a bunch of pee wee ball kids

At least the Pee Wee ball kids would of fall on the ball on an onside kick. They also would of beaten the Falcons.

When is that Falcons coach going to get fired? Because that type of loss should be a fireable offense.

Edited by Magog
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

YES!

I feared disaster when Seattle had to punt with nearly two minutes left, but they held on.

I'm still pissed at the Falcons.  If I'm going to bother to root for your shit-ass team, the least you can do is not blow a massive lead over the gods-forsaken Cowboys.  Come on!  No, I don't care that it's week two.  It's the Cowboys. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Johann said:

I heard the team flew him to his mother on their private jet.  

According to this article from ESPN:

NBC reported that Patriots owner Robert Kraft offered to fly White to Miami, but White decided to return home with the team.

Wherever he is, my heart goes out to him; that's a horrible shock to be hit with.

• Love 4

Despite the loss I’m happy with the level that the offense is operating at with Cam Newton. It’s an objectively fun team to watch. The defense will be susceptible this year to the elite offenses so I don’t think they’re true contenders, but considering this is the post Tom transition year and we were looking at starting Stidham not so long ago, this is better than expected. 

• Love 3

I can't stand the Patriots but I have a soft spot for Newton so I was rooting for him to win. It feels weird. 

I'm a Cowboys and a Falcons fan. (I know, I know) so yay on one hand and WTF on the other hand. I had some friends call me and I flat out said I don't trust Atl with a 20 point lead. I need to see them play a complete game first. 

However, how the eff do you force 3 turnovers and still lose??? Dallas won but there needs to be some massive improvement. 

I'm aboard the fire the whole staff train now. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Court said:

I can't stand the Patriots but I have a soft spot for Newton so I was rooting for him to win. It feels weird.

It’s DEEPLY unsettling.

I can’t wait for Diana Russini’s report on the MetLife field to see if they did make changes after last week (Monday, not Sunday, Diana) because why would it eat up a bunch of players this week and not last?  I blame the Jets.

One thing I did notice, not just at Giants Stadium but all over the league, is when players slide, all this black shit flies up.  I wonder what that is.  And why are they using turf in New Jersey?  Why not grass?

• Love 2

Guess you only get one football miracle a day.   Although that Chiefs/Chargers ending was pretty captivating.   I don't think Mahomes has ever been behind that long into a game before.   But he kept it together and then marched them down the field.   Got the tie.   The defense did their job and stopped the Chargers.   All Mahomes had to do was march them down the field again for a field goal.   So he did.  

But yeah, what the hell is going on with the Falcons.   The Super Bowl loss could be blamed on Shananahan playing not to lose but he's not  there anymore.   I blame the head coach.    He sent the team to special training forces and does all that crap.   He should be teaching basic football.   The receiving team DOES NOT HAVE TO WAIT for the ball to go 10 yards on a kick.   The kicking team needs it to go 10 yards before they can recover it.   The receiving team can recover at any time.   Atlanta knows this basic rule and they win the game.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

One thing I did notice, not just at Giants Stadium but all over the league, is when players slide, all this black shit flies up.  I wonder what that is.

Chopped up rubber. 

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

One thing I did notice, not just at Giants Stadium but all over the league, is when players slide, all this black shit flies up.  I wonder what that is.  And why are they using turf in New Jersey?  Why not grass?

Too many games and too many events in that stadium to have any chance of a grass field holding up. This is the first time I've heard about any issues with the turf at Met Life. I mean, it could be that I've just never heard anything about it. Maybe the Jets and Giants can jump on the bandwagon and also blame the turf for their shitty records the last few years.

Speaking of the Giants, gosh, losing Barkley is just sad. I think that's the right word for me.  The team looked terrible in the first half, lost both Barkley and Sheppard. Then they got their asses handed to them by their head coach at halftime, and played hard and had a chance to win in the second half. So, I'll try to focus on what is probably the most important thing for this team in 2020, and that is that we've got a rookie head coach who seems to know what he's doing. Let's get a year under his belt, it's not easy to learn how to be a head coach in the NFL. (Parcells was 3-12-1 his rookie season.) I would like to see the team keep playing hard, make fewer mistakes, and learn how to win some games.

Unlike what's going on with the other team that plays in Met Life.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

I know it's way too early to be making pronouncements, considering the season could end anytime, but unless that happens or unless he gets hurt, Russell Wilson will be your MVP this year.

It also depends on what Pat Mahomes does.  Lamar could dominate again, but I think he'd have to top what he did last year to make the case of a back-to-back MVP winner.  Mahomes at least, is a year removed from the title, so we'll see.  Kansas City does have some tough games coming up, including games against New England, Baltimore, New Orleans, and even Tampa & Buffalo.

Man, one thing I thought of given the most recent Seahawks/Patriots matchup (other than the fact that Al & Cris always get to call these games) is that Russell is or was one iota away from being 4-0 against Bill Belichick.  Still, I don't think there's anyone on Planet Earth that has a 75% winning total against him with a minimum of 3-4 games

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Carey said:

It also depends on what Pat Mahomes does.  Lamar could dominate again, but I think he'd have to top what he did last year to make the case of a back-to-back MVP winner.  Mahomes at least, is a year removed from the title, so we'll see.  Kansas City does have some tough games coming up, including games against New England, Baltimore, New Orleans, and even Tampa & Buffalo.

Man, one thing I thought of given the most recent Seahawks/Patriots matchup (other than the fact that Al & Cris always get to call these games) is that Russell is or was one iota away from being 4-0 against Bill Belichick.  Still, I don't think there's anyone on Planet Earth that has a 75% winning total against him with a minimum of 3-4 games

Pretty sure you're right, barring people who were only active against Belichick in the Cleveland years, maybe. I do note that Cam Newton was 2-0 against Belichick, and Lamar Jackson 1-0 so far. Mahomes is 1-2 if you count the playoff game, but you'd think he'll get a bunch of wins as time goes on.

Another thing to note is that every single Seattle/New England game in the Russ era has come down to the last minute. The "U Mad Bro?" game was won by a Seattle TD at the end, the Super Bowl of course, and the last two games ended with the Pats foiled at the 1 yard line. Three straight goal line stand wins.

Speaking of turf, it's hard to keep a grass field up in the Northeast especially if two teams use it. Foxboro had to switch from grass to turf in the Parcells era when the field went to mush after it was used for High School football championships on an off week. I don't think New York will ever have grass.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I was wondering if anybody else was thinking "Why are the guys who call plays still holding up the play sheet in front of their faces so nobody can read their lips when they're wearing a mask?" And a couple minutes ago one of the guys on SirusXM NFL radio said the same thing.  Heh.  

• LOL 4
5 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I was wondering if anybody else was thinking "Why are the guys who call plays still holding up the play sheet in front of their faces so nobody can read their lips when they're wearing a mask?" 

Mostly habit, and partly that some of these coaches aren't wearing their masks, especially as the game goes on.  What really gets me is how many of them pull it down when they walk right up to someone's face to talk to them.  Hello!  That's when it's most important to have it on.

• LOL 2
  • Love 11

So, it appears that the unofficial name for the new Raiders stadium (endorsed by owner Mark Davis) is "the Death Star'. 

Did Davis not see what happened in the movies to the Death Star, the second Death Star and the final Star Killer?

I have so many questions about the stadium. Real grass. A black exterior in one of the hottest cities in America?

But hey, as long as you can convince the taxpayers to pay for it, why not?

• Love 5

This just shows you how team owners wipe their asses with money, since no one has called down to Sean Payton to say, "You are going to cost us $250k (and yourself $100k) - your mask is not a turtleneck, pull it up!"  I've missed a good bit of this game due to yard work and a much-needed shower, followed by some indoor chores that have me listening as much as I'm watching, but I literally have not once seen it on his face.  (And if that's how it has been the whole game, the fine should be doubled.)

And I love me some Pete Carroll, but he completely deserves to be among the first three fined.  They all had warning after week one, and he wore his like a turtleneck more than he had it pulled up over his face last night.  And he's one of those who, when he did have it on, would pull it down to have a conversation with someone. 

Switching to the game itself, I can't believe how this is going so far!  My inner child is happy (I grew up a Raiders fan and we used to go to a couple of games a year, as they were in L.A. at the time and tickets were reasonably priced), but I'm an NFC woman as an adult and I've rather liked the Saints for years, so I'm a bit conflicted.

And I still can't get used to hearing "Las Vegas" uttered during a game.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

There are a lot of people that cannot wear a mask properly, and I hate it.  Therefore, I'm rooting for people to get fined if, say they think they're wearing it properly, but really they are not because it only covered their mouth.  As mentioned, why bother wearing one if that's how you'll display it

• Love 9

A couple of interesting anecdotes related to the game last night:

1.   Mark Davis was not at the game last night.   It is the first game he has missed since the 1960s when he was 8 years old, had a cold and his mom wouldn't let him go to the game.   I can just imagine an 8 year old Mark with his bowl haircut whining at his mother that he wanted to go to the game.   She's just standing there saying "No, young man, you are not going while you are sick."

2.   Because fans are not at the game (and Davis said if we can't have them all, we won't have any because its not fair to our loyal fans to pick and choose who can go to a game), you can order concessions to be delivered to your home to enjoy.    Or as one friend put it "They took the worst part of the game day experience, didn't cut the price and removed the game."   Packages are $50-$200.

• LOL 4
On 9/20/2020 at 10:04 PM, AimingforYoko said:

I know it's way too early to be making pronouncements, considering the season could end anytime, but unless that happens or unless he gets hurt, Russell Wilson will be your MVP this year.

Nice, he is the quarterback on my fantasy football team. My niece picked him for me. I get more points from him than any other player.

Sunday was a dismal day for Vikings fans. I don't know what happened to Cousins. I feel like it's a psychological thing. On the other hand, two teams I am following this year both won.  I'm cheering for Browns because Kevin Stefanski is the new head coach and for the Bills because Stefon Diggs plays there now, still #14. He's showing them what he can do and he is in a good tandem with John Brown (who is on my fantasy team bench but I want to move him to a starter role).

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

A couple of interesting anecdotes related to the game last night:

1.   Mark Davis was not at the game last night.   It is the first game he has missed since the 1960s when he was 8 years old, had a cold and his mom wouldn't let him go to the game.   I can just imagine an 8 year old Mark with his bowl haircut whining at his mother that he wanted to go to the game.   She's just standing there saying "No, young man, you are not going while you are sick."

2.   Because fans are not at the game (and Davis said if we can't have them all, we won't have any because its not fair to our loyal fans to pick and choose who can go to a game), you can order concessions to be delivered to your home to enjoy.    Or as one friend put it "They took the worst part of the game day experience, didn't cut the price and removed the game."   Packages are $50-$200.

Merylinkid, I'm sorry, but honestly for at least a second, I actually thought that Mark's mother stopped him from going to the game last night (instead of or in addition to a game when he was eight)!  I later came to the conclusion that Davis was unable to make it due the the current climate, amongst other things.

I don't usually do delivery; that was the case even before the pandemic.  I probably would feel more at ease picking something up myself so that it's not in someone's car that may or may be properly "sanitized" for safety reasons.   Nevertheless, people should be paying me to order stadium food for delivery!

• Love 2
13 hours ago, xaxat said:

So, it appears that the unofficial name for the new Raiders stadium (endorsed by owner Mark Davis) is "the Death Star'. 

Did Davis not see what happened in the movies to the Death Star, the second Death Star and the final Star Killer?

I have so many questions about the stadium. Real grass. A black exterior in one of the hottest cities in America?

But hey, as long as you can convince the taxpayers to pay for it, why not?

Fans have another name for it...

NFL fans can't stop comparing the Raiders' new Allegiant Stadium to a Roomba

Like most other stadiums, the new Las Vegas home for the Raiders is made to look like it's sleek and futuristic with a rather minimalist design. But also like some other stadiums, that very same design made Allegiant Stadium a target for a constant stream of jokes from NFL fans.

As many were quick to point out, the stadium resembles a Roomba, an automatic robotic vacuum. Once that connection clicked in people's heads, the puns began flying. Some thought the stadium was designed to look that way because of the way the team inherently is.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Mark Davis is kind of a goober, but I agree with his having no fans this season. 

Was I hearing things, or was "Mark Davis" one of the plays called last night?  Might become a meme like Peyton Manning and Omaha...

There is some real irony in abandoning the city who loves you for a soulless paid blip in the desert, only then not to be able to sell those seats to anyone.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 2

Gale Sayers has passed at the age of 77.   He scored six touchdowns in one game in his rookie season.     When Gale Sayers ripped up his knee, he became one of the first players to have surgery and return to playing.   Before him, that injury was considered career ending.   During a time of racial tension (what's new right?), the Bears asked his teammate Brian Piccolo to room with him.   They became best buds.    We all know the speech Sayers made the night he received an award and Piccolo was in the hospital.   

57 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Gale Sayers has passed at the age of 77.   He scored six touchdowns in one game in his rookie season.     When Gale Sayers ripped up his knee, he became one of the first players to have surgery and return to playing.   Before him, that injury was considered career ending.   During a time of racial tension (what's new right?), the Bears asked his teammate Brian Piccolo to room with him.   They became best buds.    We all know the speech Sayers made the night he received an award and Piccolo was in the hospital.   

He died from dementia according to several sources.

Edited by ClassicShowsFan
On 9/21/2020 at 4:26 PM, JTMacc99 said:

I was wondering if anybody else was thinking "Why are the guys who call plays still holding up the play sheet in front of their faces so nobody can read their lips when they're wearing a mask?" And a couple minutes ago one of the guys on SirusXM NFL radio said the same thing.  Heh.  

Hi Bastet...
   I believe the play-calling coach is actually reading the play code.  The codes are non-trivial ("hey, Bob, go down the street to the driveway on the right..."). They are a series of letters, names, and numbers.  The challenge is for the quarterback to understand exactly what the coach wants.  AND, the QB relays this code to the players, each of whom have to translate exactly what they must do (brush block the defensive end and move upfield to the corner back, because a sideline pass play is the 3rd option on this particular play.
And, just to confuse things, the QB may see how the defense is set up, realize he cannot run the original play, and will call a special change ("Alert" is a common play change signal".  In this case, the original play is switched to the designated backup.

Just a little bit different from the days of calling a "3-1" (the right halfback takes a handoff and runs through the "1 hole" (around left end).

• Useful 1

I read that lung puncture is one of the risks of that procedure. I'm wondering why on Earth the Chargers were starting a guy with cracked ribs? I know there's pressure on these guys to play through injury, but this is insane. Aside from all that, Tyrod possibly has the worst luck of anyone in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

Also, everyone is having fun with Bill Belichick giving fewer fucks than usual:

Unless he was involved in a hunting accident involving a shotgun, he spent actual money or time to make that shirt look like that. As someone who wears the hell out of my favorites (RIP 2006 Steelers Super Bowl tee.) I know what distressed looks like, and that ain't it.

• Love 4