Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I'm a Patriots fan. It's fine. The split needed to happen. Neither party could give the other what they wanted, like a 20 year married couple reevaluating things when the kids go to college. Brady on the 2020 Pats would have been miserable for everyone. He's happy. I actually think Belichick isn't unhappy right now. He gets to work on the first new set of challenges in decades. If he doesn't turn it around this year he has carte blanche to do anything he wants next year, a year in which he'll have lots of draft picks and cap space and tons of available free agents who will be cut if the cap goes down. I think he's fine and Brady is obviously fine, though I think the party who will act more aggrieved about the split when asked about it in ten years will be Brady and not Belichick.

I really do think signing Antonio Brown is playing with fire though.

• Love 4

Actually there are restrictions on players going to "gatherings" after the Tians outbreak and the Raiders going to the fundraiser in Vegas.   A bunch of Giants were seen out on the town, including Daniel Jones.   Not sure if going to a restaurant counts as a gathering but not the brightest thing he could have done.   

• Useful 2

I am patiently waiting for the Giants to be in the news for a positive reason.

In order to close the four major sports loop, Tampa will win the Super Bowl.  And I will...stare furiously at the television and swear.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I'm watching the Carolina/Atlanta game. I was cheering for Atlanta until Atlanta defense did a double rotten hit on Bridgewater. The guy first raised his leg and tripped Bridgewater (foot across Bridgewater's knee), then when Bridgewater's down, falls against Teddy's head and neck. The player was ejected from the game. He was whining to the ref about it. But Teddy's back in the game now so he wasn't hurt too badly.

Those didn’t look like Color Rush uniforms last night so I am only able to draw the conclusion that Atlanta did a uniform revamp in the offseason, and chose the absolute worst of the lot for home AND away.

Monday, however, regardless of the outcome, will make me all atingly because the Giants are going retro from helmet to cleat.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, mojoween said:

Monday, however, regardless of the outcome, will make me all atingly because the Giants are going retro from helmet to cleat.

They can't go retro enough for me unless they put Fran Tarkenton under center.

• LOL 6
On 10/28/2020 at 9:43 AM, mojoween said:

In order to close the four major sports loop, Tampa will win the Super Bowl.  And I will...stare furiously at the television and swear.

Agreed.  I made a similar comment at the MLB thread.  It similar to what happened in 1988 but in reverse.  It didn't factor in the winning NFL & NHL teams.  LA completed the NBA & MLB sweep in 1988 after the best Hockey player won another championship; this year might have the best Football player win another championship, following the 2020 NBA/MLB LA championship sweep.  At Raymond James Stadium, no less.

Still can't believe that the Steelers are the last undefeated team remaining.  Tennessee is a great team, and Seattle losing the way they did added to that.  Really assumed that Baltimore would deny them of that honor, which they have done in some way, shape, or form in the past 20 years

9 minutes ago, Carey said:

Agreed.  I made a similar comment at the MLB thread.  It similar to what happened in 1988 but in reverse.  It didn't factor in the winning NFL & NHL teams. 

The only loop I remember well is the one from 1969, when the Mets, Jets, and Knicks all won their championships.  What made it really unique was that they beat the Orioles, Colts and Bullets, all the teams from Baltimore.

• Useful 2

The Dr. J intro for tonight's Dallas/Philly matchup was hilarious. "Every season starts with a dream. And then things get real.", "Somebody's got to win the NFC East, that's just the reality of the situation."

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I see that Sean Payton has given up even pretending to wear a face covering. 

Yes, thank you, that was my thought, too! I literally never saw his mask on any part of his face the entire game. Jackass. 

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, xaxat said:

The Dr. J intro for tonight's Dallas/Philly matchup was hilarious. "Every season starts with a dream. And then things get real.", "Somebody's got to win the NFC East, that's just the reality of the situation."

My husband has been calling it the Dumpster Fire Bowl.

• Love 4

So Al Michaels routinely asks QBs if they have a girlfriend?

That seems kind of . . . weird.

I keep updating the math on how this game could end in a tie.

(Side note. Back when Bowling for Dollars was still a thing, the Pittsburgh version had a host who was obsessed with finding out the status of female contestants on the show. "Do you have a husband? A boyfriend?" It became a local meme back before there were memes. He later was convicted of fixing the Pennsylvania lottery. An event that later became the subject of a John Travolta movie.)

I generally root for the Saints, but I can’t lie and tell you when it got down to two minutes that I was not rooting for a tie.  Because I totally was.

My newspaper has jumped on the Tampa bandwagon and I feel like it’s personal.  Instead of a story about Joe Judge meeting his former QB for the first time, the story is told from the opposite point of view.  Then, on the same page, there is a story about Antonio Brown’s last chance and how Tom Brady is the bestest best quarterback there has ever been.  An entire page of articles, all about freaking Tampa.  It boils my blood, it does.

(to be fair, since everything in this country is owned by like three companies, I’m pretty sure that page of articles was probably in every Advanced Media newspaper out there.  Not much local interest reporting in the newspaper the last few years.)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Jets halfway to a perfect season

Good. Let's hope they get 8 more losses. I can use another NFL team reaching the apex of NFL Futility (0-16). 

15 hours ago, twoods said:

I feel bad for the Chargers and their fans. They keep losing in the most heartbreaking way for the past 4 years. 

Do they even have any fans left? I find them to be as rootable as the Cowboys. I'm still angry at them for losing to the Browns on Week 16 a few years back (2016) costing us an 0-16 season. Those idiots better not lose to the Jets in a few weeks. 

Tonight's game is going to be torture & I'm certain that ESPN is on the Bucs bandwagon & a member of the Tom Brady Fan Club.. Is Antonio Brown even playing the game tonight? I have a feeling that ESPN will be rooting for him also.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, xaxat said:

The happiest man in the NFL today has to be Avery Williamson. Last night he got traded from the 0-8 Jets to the 7-0 Steelers.

Is he the one who posted the picture of himself standing in New York in full Jets uniform while hitchhiking?

• LOL 5
8 hours ago, Magog said:

Tonight's game is going to be torture & I'm certain that ESPN is on the Bucs bandwagon & a member of the Tom Brady Fan Club.. Is Antonio Brown even playing the game tonight? I have a feeling that ESPN will be rooting for him also.

Next Sunday vs New Orleans will be AB's Tampa Debut

• Useful 2

It's interesting how confident the NFL talking heads are that AB will fit right in in Tampa. Did they forget that span covering three regular season games where three Lombardi winning coaches decided he wasn't worth the trouble?

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2

Fuck Tampa.

DJ shouldn’t have thrown that second interception but I am not mad at Big Blue today.  They have a terrible record, but they are not a terrible team.

Edited by mojoween

Godsdammit.  If the entire Giants defense opts to corner Daniel Jones in the showers and beat him with soap in socks, I will absolutely look the other way.

Of course the D wasn't perfect, and of course there were additional problems on offense.  But fuck that guy.  He makes the same stupid-ass mistakes under pressure game after game.  And if he hadn't done so tonight, this terrible team would have won. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

He’s 3-0 against Washington, 1-1 vs. Tampa and 0-15 against everyone else.

Although, I will say that last night, even as a bonehead, his numbers were almost identical to Brady’s.  Except for two INT’s, which Brady didn’t have, which led to 10 Tampa points.

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Of course the D wasn't perfect, and of course there were additional problems on offense.  But fuck that guy.  He makes the same stupid-ass mistakes under pressure game after game.  And if he hadn't done so tonight, this terrible team would have won. 

And this is the guy for whom they shoved Eli Manning out the door. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Has anyone suggested to Jerry signing a certain former Super Bowl starting QB?

Jerry Jones???   Oh he would rather sell the team than do that.   Up until it was inevitable about player protests this year, he said that anyone on the team who knelt during the anthem would be fired.   He only gave in this year because the NFL overall official stance changed.   But you know he secretly hates it and has made that clear.   Amazing how only ONE player has knelt this year.