Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

And it’s funny now that I think about it, that I grew up with only two games on Thanksgiving.  Three games is relatively recent, isn’t it?  (and since I am an old person, relatively recent means “within the last twenty years”)

• Love 6

So no game Thursday night? 

Oh well, I will check out the day games. I am very happy for Alex Smith getting another shot at being the starting QB again. 

I like KC and LV, but damned if I didn't find myself really rooting for the Raiders to win that game. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

NOW what am I going to do on Thanksgiving night?   

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Right?  I don’t even have anything scheduled to record on the DVR.

Drink?  That's what I'll be doing... 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, mojoween said:

And it’s funny now that I think about it, that I grew up with only two games on Thanksgiving.  Three games is relatively recent, isn’t it?  (and since I am an old person, relatively recent means “within the last twenty years”)

I think it started with the establishment of the NFL Network. So yes, within the last twenty years.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, ebk57 said:
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

NOW what am I going to do on Thanksgiving night?   

Right?  I don’t even have anything scheduled to record on the DVR.

Drink?  That's what I'll be doing... 

Or pass out.  That's what I'll be doing (through no choice of my own).

8 minutes ago, xaxat said:
43 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I think it started with the establishment of the NFL Network. So yes, within the last twenty years.

2006 to be exact.  That addition came with the return of football on NBC, just about simultaneous with Goodell's debut as the commish

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I don't have NFLN, and it pisses me off that I pay for NFL Sunday Ticket and can't get those games.  They have blackouts of other games, but I can watch those on the local network (although that's a PITA, too, and seems unnecessary to me), but not NFLN games. 

It was bad enough when ESPN started carrying playoff games, which meant people who only had OTA could not watch.  But most people now have access to basic cable programming.  NFLN is not basic cable programming.

• Love 1
On 11/24/2020 at 3:28 PM, emma675 said:

Dallas media is reporting that he has not passed away, he's in the ICU after a massive cardiac event. It doesn't look good, but he hasn't died just yet. 

He's gone for real now.  ESPN just reported it and Adam Schefter made mention via Twitter within the past hour.

When does Mike Tomlin stage a coup against the NFL?

I mean, I know it’s not really anyone’s fault, but it seems like it’s affecting Pittsburgh the most.

As an aside, L Fitz now has it, and where is everyone getting it?  Isn’t everyone being careful?

• Love 3

The opening Jim Nantz narrated before the game was oof.  Brought a tear to my eye!  Highlights were Pat Summerall and John Madden and LT sliding into the end zone after his 97 yard pick six.

And then they showed a shot of Tony Romo and the good vibes were gone.  It’s rude, I know, but good gravy that man has what is called a punchable face.  

I usually root for Detroit unless they are playing someone I like, but there is something about Romeo Crennel I just adore even if I could take or leave the Texans.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, mojoween said:

As an aside, L Fitz now has it, and where is everyone getting it?  Isn’t everyone being careful?

You can only control what you can control.  I don't know what teams are asking their players/staff to do but if they have kids, the kids go to school and could bring it back. 

Or other family members.  And I think we all know people who think they're being careful who hang out with someone else who says they're being careful but they were around someone who wasn't being careful. Or who has a different definition of careful. One thing I can tell is that very few people in my real life as as strict about what they will and won't do as people in my internet life.

And with the Ravens, a staff member was disciplined for conduct related to their outbreak.  So you have a team that requires their players to come into an environment where there are supposedly really strict rules with consequences related to COVID-preventing behavior and someone still screwed up.  People were apparently infected because of that behavior. 

It's not hard to imagine something similar happening in their houses/community where people aren't getting tested daily or wearing trackers to determine distance.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I mean, I know it’s not really anyone’s fault, but it seems like it’s affecting Pittsburgh the most.

*Looks at the country. *

*Cries*

I'm watching the pitiful Detroit/Houston game (Detroit is losing, of course).  I'm not familiar with players on either team but there are twins, A.J. Moore and C.J. Moore, playing on opposing teams.  They were in midfield and ran up to each other and held hands.  Romo said "this is ridiculous."  He was right.  They're getting paid so they don't give a damn, but they could at least act like opponents while the game is still being played. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I'm watching the pitiful Detroit/Houston game (Detroit is losing, of course).  I'm not familiar with players on either team but there are twins, A.J. Moore and C.J. Moore, playing on opposing teams.  They were in midfield and ran up to each other and held hands.  Romo said "this is ridiculous."  He was right.  They're getting paid so they don't give a damn, but they could at least act like opponents while the game is still being played. 

See now I didn’t see this happen, but in your description of it, I am fully on Team Moore Twins.

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, mojoween said:

See now I didn’t see this happen, but in your description of it, I am fully on Team Moore Twins.

They could have waited until after the game was over.  

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

They could have waited until after the game was over.  

They could have but I don't see how it's any different than QBs and defensive lineman joking around after a play.

It's not like brothers can't love one another but also be ultra competitive with one another.  In fact, with the two brothers in the NFL, I'd expect it.  Unless they're giving up on the field*, I don't particularly care what they do while not actively midplay. 

*Like Favre did so Strahan could get a single season sack record.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I won't even mind if my Washington team loses just this one time to Dallas because it would be nice for Dallas to win in honor of Markus Paul.

I was actually leaning toward Washington before Markus Paul died.  Dallas is likely motivated.  Of course, they gave away their last game at their old stadium, so that was a risky pick.  Washington is actually moving up.  Not sure I'd pick them to win the title, but things could be looking up with Smith's return, and Ron and Chase.  Now, the Cowboys had a ton of key injures early so they might fall short tonight

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Even people who are very good at their jobs can make a boo-boo, as Joe Buck declared that “the Redskins didn’t jump, I mean the Washington Football Team.”  

Troy did say it before him.  No shock from me; I don't think anyone's booting them off of television.  Might be a different story one decade from now.  I had to laugh when Joe said that's one from you and me

29 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Even people who are very good at their jobs can make a boo-boo, as Joe Buck declared that “the Redskins didn’t jump, I mean the Washington Football Team.”  

I think I heard Michael Strahan say it during the halftime show, too.

30 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Wait - did you just say that Joe Buck was very good at his job??  Have you had too much turkey???

• LOL 11

My Cowboys SUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

The LIONS scored more points than they did today.   Just bad play all around.   McCarthy has got to go.

I loved Fox News calling a touchdown for Dallas after that last interception.   Great way to pay attention guys.

the news about Lamar Jackson just oooof.     It was the strength and conditioning coach who broke protocol.   that's why its spreading by the nature of his job he is in close proximity to all the players for prolonged periods of time.   Although apparently one of the ways he broke protocol was NOT wearing his proximity alarm.   At that point, that's someone who just doesn't care.

3 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

the news about Lamar Jackson just oooof.     It was the strength and conditioning coach who broke protocol. 

Yeah.  Do you have more knowledge about how he broke protocol? 

But you're right, the fact that it was his position with the team is likely why it seems to be hitting both sides of the ball and multiple position groups. 

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

the news about Lamar Jackson just oooof.     It was the strength and conditioning coach who broke protocol.   that's why its spreading by the nature of his job he is in close proximity to all the players for prolonged periods of time.   Although apparently one of the ways he broke protocol was NOT wearing his proximity alarm.   At that point, that's someone who just doesn't care.

That's someone who deserves to be fired. At this point, so far into Covid and the season, there's no excuse. 

Also, the entire Cowboys coaching staff should be fired. Jerry Jones should also fire himself. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
36 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Wait - did you just say that Joe Buck was very good at his job??  Have you had too much turkey???

I used to snark on him, and I've decided over the years that he's a lot better than I thought.  Now whether he actually got better or my standards changed, I do not entirely know.  And he has the ability to laugh at himself, which is a rare quality.

Anyone know why it's taking them so long to pick a damn name?  What are they waiting for?  They could have had a contest or something and gotten people interested.  It's just a name. 

The NFL needs to say right now that the Steelers/Ravens game is off.  In right now, I mean ASAP, or by tomorrow morning.  If not, that game needs to be played on Sunday.  If the Patriots, the league "greatest dynasty" in the history of the sport, can move on with a game against Kansas City, then they can play this one.  If not, use common sense and cancel it.  And while you're at it, think of plans to go into a bubble setting.

There will be a new league MVP at season's end, but Lamar is still the reigning MVP.  I'd be shocked if the league did nothing in terms of discipline toward Baltimore.  I'm not talking about kitchen sink-tossing (though that would be okay) but using actions to back up tough words

• Love 5

I remember one season when they handed Barry Sanders won one of the "MVP" turkey legs and he was like "Wait, you want me to take a bite out of this? It looks nasty."

ETA, I'm so glad the WFC social media manager was allowed to post this.

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 13
  • Love 1
On 11/26/2020 at 12:04 PM, mojoween said:

I agree with this. I am NO Steelers fan, but the league has had other teams play while missing several players (sometimes key players) due to Covid, so why doesn't that apply to the Ravens? And it's not fair to continually screw Pittsburgh because other teams can't get their shit together.

I wonder if the NFL might have helped itself by just clearly establishing a rule about a certain number of infected/at-risk players triggering an automatic reschedule. Like if you have 7+ players who test positive or are in quarantine due to exposure, you reschedule automatically; if it's 6 or under, you play as scheduled unless there is something else leading you to believe that playing is unsafe. There could have been other corollaries, too, like if a team has an outbreak and continue to get 2+ positives a day up until the day before the game, it's an automatic reschedule. You could word such rules in a way that allows some flexibility in enforcement, but I suspect that establishing a baseline set of expectations would have gone a long way toward alleviating frustration around why some teams are forced to play while missing a number of/key players and why others get to reschedule and wait until they're back at full strength to play.

Also, it goes without saying, had the NFL scheduled an extra 1-2 bye weeks to allow for make-up games, they would have really helped themselves. The league is just so dumb sometimes. The easy, obvious things they can do to help themselves are...easy and obvious. And yet.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 2

I miss John Madden . . . and I think I want a Turducken!

Rules are too fluid -- Chuckie gets a big fine and loses a draft pick, Titans get a shrug of the shoulder, and Roger says "Nevermore" to the Ravens and basically that's it.  Now, while I don't like Big Ben or the Steelers, I somehow have a great respect for Tomlin, so I would say to him that winning is the best revenge.  

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

I agree with this. I am NO Steelers fan, but the league has had other teams play while missing several players (sometimes key players) due to Covid, so why doesn't that apply to the Ravens?

I don't think the NFL's decision has anything to do with the number of players the Ravens will be missing.  It's all about how many days they can go without a positive COVID test.   I think the NFL wants at least two days before teams can go into the facilities.

The Ravens had positive tests reported on Tuesday and Wednesday; that's why the game was postponed.  If they continue to have positive tests, it'll likely get postponed again.

• Useful 1