Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Joe Buck declared it’s been a pleasure today to watch two future Hall of Famers competing and no.  No no no no.  No. Phillip Rivers does not equal Eli and Ben.  He just DOESN’T.

This is the hill I will die on.

• Love 8
59 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Joe Buck declared it’s been a pleasure today to watch two future Hall of Famers competing and no.  No no no no.  No. Phillip Rivers does not equal Eli and Ben.  He just DOESN’T.

Eli in the HOF?  That's going to be a fascinating argument when the time comes - just how much credit does a good but not great QB get for two fantastic playoff runs?  Admittedly you don't need much - I'd argue that Kurt Warner only had 6 good seasons, although peak Warner was a lot better than peak Eli.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

Eli in the HOF?  That's going to be a fascinating argument when the time comes - just how much credit does a good but not great QB get for two fantastic playoff runs?  Admittedly you don't need much - I'd argue that Kurt Warner only had 6 good seasons, although peak Warner was a lot better than peak eli

I think eli makes it because of the two superbowl wins.   Right or wrong SB wins for QBs count more than anything else.  

Only one qb with more than one sb win is not in the hof, Jim plunkett. 

• Love 3

The Chargers didn't mess it up today against the Jets, although they tried their damndest. In the end, the Jets are 0-10 & I'm very happy about that.

What I'm not very happy about today is that the Cowboys somehow found a way to beat the crappy Vikings. It makes me sick that the Cowboys (3-7) are still in contention in that sorry ass NFC East. 

The Colts tried like hell to give the game away to the Packers, but their defense save the day.

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

"There is a flag! Or is it a shoe?" (Adam Thielin had lost one of his yellow cleats during a play.)

I had that same problem several times throughout the game, especially when the camera was toward ground level. Thielen's shoes were the exact same color as the ref's flags.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I think eli makes it because of the two superbowl wins.   Right or wrong SB wins for QBs count more than anything else.  

Only one qb with more than one sb win is not in the hof, Jim plunkett. 

Agreed. Eli shouldn't make the HoF, but he will because of the 2 SBs, because he's a Manning, and because he played for the Giants. That said, ITA that there's no way you can put Philip Rivers in the same breath as Eli. No effing way! (I feel the same way about Carson Palmer, whose name I saw bandied around a few years ago for the HoF. HARD PASS.)

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

Agreed. Eli shouldn't make the HoF, but he will because of the 2 SBs, because he's a Manning, and because he played for the Giants.

And he beat the undefeated Patriots. Thanks Eli!

• Love 7

I think Eli will get in.  How fast I don't know, but I don't think there are any prominent people that retired in 2019.  As of 2019 he was Top 10 in passing yards.  Not sure how long he'll last on that list before Late 2024 / Early 2025.  As mentioned, the wins against New England & the name on the back of his jersey should help.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Romo gets in.  Actually, I would be surprised if Tony is part of the 2022 class but not shocked.  He can thank the logo on the side of his helmet for his possible entry into Canton, and what has been a rather awesome broadcasting career so far

Well the Panthers finally won a game! With at least two of their starters benched. Maybe that’s a sign. I’ve never understood the Bridgewater signing. 🤷‍♀️ 

Feel bad for Burrow. I don’t follow college football at all but last January I went to a VA Tech game because they were playing at Panthers stadium and my cousin plays in their marching band. I don’t even remember who they were playing but I digress. I’m a completionist so I watched the rest of the college season at home and saw the talent Burrow had. I was interested to see where his career took him. 

• Love 1

The Raiders scored, I went into the bedroom to give the cat his pill, it took four tries (he's my parents' cat, and I'm out of practice; I usually get it in one), and when I came back the Chiefs were celebrating.  Whoa!

• LOL 3
59 minutes ago, Mountainair said:

Feel bad for Burrow. I don’t follow college football at all but last January I went to a VA Tech game because they were playing at Panthers stadium and my cousin plays in their marching band. I don’t even remember who they were playing but I digress. I’m a completionist so I watched the rest of the college season at home and saw the talent Burrow had. I was interested to see where his career took him. 

The Burrow injury sucks.  It goes without saying that the guy's opponents are better off without a very good player in terms of winning.  That being said, the guy's opponents would want to win with him on the field; no one wants someone else to get hurt.  To be clear, and while this season is not the best example, the Browns, Ravens, and Steelers would rather beat the Bengals with Burrow behind center than his backup.  If might be an easier victory but the competitors feel much better beating the best the league has to offer.  Cincinnati is winless against his division, but down the road that might be the opposite.  People knew that they weren't going to be any good this year; they're rebuilding, but there was potential within that organization.  At the end of the day, it sucks for Cincinnati since each of their last three franchise QB's have been knocked out of the season due to a major injury.

I think Burrow will be okay.  He is a rookie, but when he returns in 2021, he'll turn 25 within that season.  Way too soon to predict if he'll last as long as Favre, Brady, and Brees, but I think Joe has a lot of years going forward.  It depends on his work ethic through the rehab and recovery.  If all goes well, he'll be ready way before the off-season stuff.

Mountainair, you missed some awesome Joe Burrow stuff prior to his NFL Debut.  After his run at Ohio State, LSU was his calling, I believe.  Soon after falling victim to the highest scoring game in the history of the sport, including overtime, the most epic run started when the Central Florida magnificent run ended.  During that game, he got blasted, but then that might have been a mistake.  The guy's tough as nails.  After a New Year's Six win over UCF, 15-0 for the Tigers and the best performance of any player.  In the SEC.  The best conference for football.

I'd bet on Burrow returning and being much better.  Hopefully he won't get lost due to injury; barring that he'll be fine.  Plus, give the improvements for the Bengals (or not), add an off-season program, if all goes pretty well on Planet Earth, Cincy will be better and it'll be like 2020 didn't exist

• Love 1
9 hours ago, stealinghome said:

Agreed. Eli shouldn't make the HoF, but he will because of the 2 SBs, because he's a Manning, and because he played for the Giants. That said, ITA that there's no way you can put Philip Rivers in the same breath as Eli. No effing way! (I feel the same way about Carson Palmer, whose name I saw bandied around a few years ago for the HoF. HARD PASS.)

Rivers I don't think gets in unless he wins or at least makes a superbowl.  He is a prime example of a lot of years played and being good but never great and nothing besides meaningless stats and playoff disappointments to show for it. 

Plus it's not like he was stuck on bad teams.  He wasn't toiling away in Cincy or cleveland. San Diego had some great talent in his earlier years in particular

Being a colts fan for the most part he has done pretty well this year. But HOF?  No.  Maybe they surprise everyone and make a playoff run.  They are a team that could flame out round one or play well and make a title run, all depends on the play in January. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, mojoween said:

Tony Romo can get into Canton when he buys a ticket like everyone else.

I'm a Cowboys fan and I agree with this.   Romo is a good guy, but his play was NOT HOF worthy.  

That Burrow injury broke my heart.   Good kid.   Stupid team not getting a good O line to protect their QB.

The freak injury of the week award goes to JuJu Schuster-Smith of the Steelers.   he stepped on a penalty flag while running to the sidelines and "tweaked" his foot.   He was held out of the game just to not aggravate it because the Steelers play the Ravens on Thanksgiving Night.   THAT will be a game.   

How 'bout Them Boys.   They DIDN'T SUCK.    When they needed to come back to win, they rallied around, avoided too many stupid penalties and managed to win.   I so happy.    If we beat the No Name Football team on Thursday, we have a shot at first (no name beat the current first team, the Iggles)

• Love 2

Keyshawn Johnson said the Bucs better not look past the Rams to next week against Kansas City or they are going to get smacked around by LA tonight, and now that he has said it, I want nothing more than Tampa to get smacked around by LA tonight.  Come on Rams!  You can do it!  Whatever you did against Seattle, do it again.

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

With that loss to Cowboys, the Vikings' chances for the playoffs have gotten pretty slim. Right now for the NFC playoffs it would be Green Bay, New Orleans, Seattle and Philadelphia for division leads, then the wildcards would be Tampa, LA Rams and Cardinals. It's odd that it would be better for Vikings if Green Bay beat Chicago next week. Then if Vikings won we would be second in the division (our win over Chicago is the tiebreaker).

Vikings defense is better than at the beginning of the season but still not that great. Our offense is pretty decent. I wonder if Zimmer would fire his son and Andre Patterson, and get a new defensive coordinator.

One thing confuses me - I'm looking at standings via the Vikings website and it's showing Carolina with a 4-7 record. How are they the only team to play 11 games? Is their bye week upcoming? Vikings play them next week.

Edited by Lamb18
2 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

One thing confuses me - I'm looking at standings via the Vikings website and it's showing Carolina with a 4-7 record. How are they the only team to play 11 games? Is their bye week upcoming?

Yes, week 13 (along with the Bucs). 

14 hours ago, Carey said:

I think Eli will get in.  How fast I don't know, but I don't think there are any prominent people that retired in 2019.  As of 2019 he was Top 10 in passing yards.  Not sure how long he'll last on that list before Late 2024 / Early 2025.  As mentioned, the wins against New England & the name on the back of his jersey should help.

Eli has a few things that should guarantee him a gold jacket eventually. The longevity helps a lot, with 57,000 passing yard. The two championships, with the fact that he was a much deserved MVP of both games is probably the thing that pushes enough people who want to look at the overall winning percentage. 

He did pretty much carry the 2011 Giants on his back the entire season. They couldn't run the ball at all, ranking 32nd in rushing yards. The defense was below average 27th in yards, 25th in scoring.  But they still won the division and then in the playoffs he went 4-0, 305 YPG, 9 TD - 1 Int,  and had two 4th quarter comeback game winning drives.  You need to add that kind of thing to the longevity stats, which is what separates Manning from Rivers.

Another fun Eli stat: only Drew Brees has more regular season 4th quarter passing touchdowns that tied or put his team in the lead than Eli Manning 46-44. Next on the list is Peyton at 37.  If you add in playoff games, Eli has 4 and Brees has 2, so both of them are at 48.  

• Love 7

I think Eli gets in because his Super Bowl wins are iconic though his career stats are pedestrian. Beating everyone's favorite villain matters. If his Super Bowl wins were against, say, an 11-5 Chargers team and an 11-5 Texans team in forgettable games he may not get in.

• Love 6

My theory is that Broadway Joe got into the Hall less for his on-field play and more because his sex appeal to woman brought them into the fold and basically put the NFL on the cultural map.  I was a kid when he played and didn't know what football was, but I knew who HE was.  And once you have a personality to hook the mass public with, your popularity will only increase across all levels.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

Worked for Joe Namath.

I know namath in the hall is controversial and his stats are not even pedestrian, in many ways just bad.  But having read his autobiography, he was the top qb in the league at his early career peak and his decision to go with the jets rather than an NFL team was instrumental in creating the nfl-afl merge.  And yes his commercial appeal as well also upped the league general popularity.  Without the SB III I still don't think he makes it but his story in the league was critical in transforming the two leagues into one and making both the superbowl and the nfl itself into the mass appeal sports market it is today. 

He didn't do it by himself but he was a key figure. 

Plus his career stats suffered due to injury but that you could say About many players, especially QBs. 

Also fun fact :. The jets, mets and nets names were all chosen partly because they rhymed.  They even considered a pro tennis team called the Lets. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Thanks for the Namath rationalizations.  I never understood his appeal or why everyone was so impressed about his 'guarantee'.  I can guarantee a coin will come up heads and have a 50% chance of being right.  Even his insurance commercials annoy me.

41 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Also fun fact :. The jets, mets and nets names were all chosen partly because they rhymed.  They even considered a pro tennis team called the Lets. 

The Islanders just had to be different!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, Johann said:

Thanks for the Namath rationalizations.  I never understood his appeal or why everyone was so impressed about his 'guarantee'.  I can guarantee a coin will come up heads and have a 50% chance of being right.  Even his insurance commercials annoy me.

On the note of the guarrantee, namath says he wasn't just making some bold prediction out of his butt for headlines when he said that, though I think with his reputation that's what everyone tends to believe.  He truly meant it and had a good reason. He saw film of the colts and thought they looked old, slow and unable to match the jets speed and youth.  

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

And I cannot even with whatever the hell LA is wearing.

Why are their numbers shiny? They like like they are outlined in puff paint.

And oof, Joe Burrow tore his ACL, MCL, and has other structural issues in his knee. Recovery is estimated at 9 to 12 months.

Edited by emma675d

Well, it's 2020.  Though it's gone for good 5 weeks from Friday.  That being said, it's a different sport, but the same result: Los Angeles defeats Tampa Bay thanks to the latter doing something stupid to best say "No thank you" toward victory!

Here’s something new. Tom Brady threw and completed two forward passes on the same play. Since it didn’t get a first down, the Rams declined the penalty and the play stood. 

Gisele was wrong! He can throw AND catch the football! 

• LOL 6

2 hours ago, emma675 said:

And oof, Joe Burrow tore his ACL, MCL, and has other structural issues in his knee. Recovery is estimated at 9 to 12 months.

While I still believe Burrow will do whatever it takes to return, I'm no longer as optimistic.  At least for 2021.  He could, but I'm not sure it'll be right away.  When I made my comments, that was based on just an ACL injury, and not the total destruction of his left knee.  AP did return real fast, but I don't think Adrian's was this bad.  In fact, this may be worse than Carson Palmer's 2005-2006 injury

This game shall go down in history for 2 reasons:

1.   The first all African-American officiating crew.     (bout damn time)

2.   Both teams' uniforms were ugly as sin.   

Brady is NOT used to struggling to get into the playoffs.    His behavior the next few weeks will be very telling.

The Burrow news just makes you cry.   Such a good kid.   So good for the sport.    Now his knee is destroyed.   One commentator said since its a 9-12 month injury, forget coming back in 2021.   He's the franchise QB, why risk a repaired knee just for him to come back late in the season.   Let him rehab all 2021 and come back stronger in 2022.   I like this.   The team can spend 2021 GETTING A DAMN O'LINE TO PROTECT THEIR FRANCHISE QB.  

• Love 9
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

In sad news, the Cowboys strength and conditioning coach passed suddenly today:

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/football/markus-paul-passes-away

I did laugh at the end of the article.    He worked with teams that won 5 Super Bowls -- 3 by the Pats and 2 with

the Giants.

Yep the two times the Giants beat his former team, he was the S & C coach.   

Dallas media is reporting that he has not passed away, he's in the ICU after a massive cardiac event. It doesn't look good, but he hasn't died just yet. 

The amount of people who get paid a lot of money to talk about football blaming everyone in Tampa including the guy who runs the pirate ship rather than Brady for BRADY’S interceptions would be funny, if it weren’t so annoying.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4