Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

The 49ers announced that a player has tested positive, though no name.  I wonder what this means for the Packers game tomorrow.

I think it won't be known until tomorrow based on the contact tracing they do and whether or not they get a second positive.  I know the Packers are essentially without their running backs since Aaron Jones is hurt, one RB tested positive and the other is considered a "close contact." 

GB is already on their way to San Fran so if the game is cancelled or postponed, it'll suck for them.  I wonder if they'd stay if the game gets postponed until Sunday.

Now that we've been living with it for a while, here's my 20/20 hindsight plan for playing a football season in a pandemic to accommodate the inevitable disruptions. Writing it out as it's better than obsessing about the election.

• Shorten preseason by 2 weeks. Start the season 2 weeks earlier than usual.
  • Add two more bye weeks.
  • No Thursday games to add flexibilty. I suppose you can keep Thanksgiving.
  • Group every team's schedule by opponent type throughout the season to keep infections within a limited set of teams. A team plays their own division x6, against intraconference division x4 (ie, AFC East vs. AFC West), against the opposite conference division x4 (AFC East vs. NFC West), and then the two games matching up against strength of schedule finishers (NE vs. Bal, KC).
  • So a team's schedule would look something like this:
    • Weeks 1-4 Intraconference Division (ie, AFC East vs. AFC West)
    • Weeks 5&6 Half the league gets a bye each week, the other half plays a strength of schedule opponent. These weeks are also weeks to place games delayed by Covid from Weeks 1-4, so the bye groupings should reflect the teams which were scheduled from weeks 1-4 in case you have to move games there.
    • Weeks 7-9 Division Games
    • Weeks 10&11 Same as Weeks 5&6
    • Weeks 12-15 Interconference games (AFC vs. NFC)
    • Weeks 16-19 Remaining division games, with the third Bye Week incorporated on weeks 16 & 17 with half the league scheduled off on those days. Alternately, we could have no bye and wrap up the season on Week 18 with a scheduled week off for all teams on Week 19 to place emergency rescheduled games. Playoffs would begin on Week 20.

Games threatened by Covid tests will be delayed for a day until Tuesday at latest, or then moved to a mutual bye week. Hopefully the built in mutual bye weeks can accommodate reschedules, but in the event that some teams are so compromised that they are not able to complete a 16 game schedule, some decision has to be made on how the absent games would count. Forfeit, or each team is awarded a tie, or each team just had fewer games on their schedule and we decide by a) Winning percentage or b) # of games won. Just gotta choose one and announce it ahead of time, because no matter how much you try you're not going to avoid infections without a bubble, as we've seen.

Anyway, that's my plan if, God forbid we're still dealing with this next year.

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

The NFL decreed new mask mandates today...aaaand the players on the sidelines, if they are wearing one, have it covering their chin.

Unless I missed a new memo today, the one I saw a day or so ago said that they strongly recommend masks on the sidelines for players who aren't actively playing but the requirements for masks only pertain to the post-game interaction and locker room. 

• Useful 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/amp/nfl_nflpa_mandate_players_wear_masks_on_game_day/s1_13132_33238601 

I misread what I had seen summarized yesterday.  This says they have to wear masks during pregame, postgame and halftime, but they are *encouraged* to wear them on the sidelines.  I thought the mandate was all game.

They can certainly do a better job of encouraging them to wear them right, if they are going to wear them.  Just ask the Raiders.

• Love 2

Niners/Pack is what I imagine would happen when people say “x” college team would beat “y” pro team.  No they wouldn’t.

I’m not saying Sam Darnold is Aaron Rodgers, but if the Jets played Alabama, it would look like last night.

• LOL 3

The ratings aren't down this year.   The NBA ratings were bad because of the start, stop to the season and having the championship in October up against football and the World Series.   There are only so many eyeballs to go around.    The people who SAY they are boycotting and actually DO are few and far between.    Quality of play on the field affects viewership more.   Jerry Jones is just a racist who doesn't want HIS players protesting against policies he supports.

• Love 12

Speaking of which, I'll be interested to see how the ratings play out tonight with the Cowboys & Steelers!  IIRC, the ratings started to go in a positive direction, as in upward four years ago.  I don't expect it to be a record-breaker, but maybe within the top 5-10.  Same with NFC Brady vs NFC Brees Part II.

Maybe it was intentional all around, and maybe it was not, but this period somewhat emulates the first weekend after the election 4 years ago.  After Election Day in 2016, a 2010s ACC powerhouse fell to an average ACC team at home, PITT pulled the upset against Clemson, Dave Chappelle hosted SNL, a classic NFL matchup featuring the Pittsburgh Steelers and Dallas Cowboys took place, and that was followed by Sunday Night Football featuring a Team (New England) led by Tom Brady hosting a former 2010s Superbowl Championship team (Seattle) led by a future Hall of Famer (Russell).  Clemson is still an ACC powerhouse despite losing to Pittsburgh at home.

This year, a 2010s ACC powerhouse fell to an average ACC team at home, Notre Dame pulled the upset against Clemson, Dave Chappelle hosted SNL, a classic NFL matchup featuring the Pittsburgh Steelers and Dallas Cowboys took place, and that was followed by Sunday Night Football featuring a Team (Tampa) led by Tom Brady hosting a former 2010s Superbowl Championship team (New Orleans) led by a future Hall of Famer (Drew).  Florida State isn't an ACC powerhouse right now (though they're close in hoops), but they still lost at home to Pittsburgh.

Just a coincidence for the above.  Not to bring politics in the conversation, but I think while the rating have been good, they should improve again this cycle.  A lot of people were stressed over the period, especially this year.  A lot of ease, IMO now that we're in this spot on the calendar.  I noticed that in 2016.  Maybe it just played out that way, but the weekend of November 12-13 in '16 was rather full of relief.  At least for me; ditto this weekend.

Great games today; I guess I'll pick Washington, Tennessee, Minnesota, Kansas City, Houston, Indianapolis, Buffalo, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Arizona, Tampa Bay, & New England for the win.  That means their opponents will win, sorry about that!

Edited by Carey
Edited for picks
  • Love 1

I am only watching the Seattle game because I have to listen to the Giants streaming on WFAN (thanks, Buffalo, you jerks) so perhaps I missed something, but has the Seahawks defense been this terrible all season?

Just now, mojoween said:

I am only watching the Seattle game because I have to listen to the Giants streaming on WFAN (thanks, Buffalo, you jerks) so perhaps I missed something, but has the Seahawks defense been this terrible all season?

Not this bad, but not good.

Once again total BS call on an catch/ not catch made a huge difference in a critical game. 

Overturned a call what should have remained incomplete pass becomes an int for baltimore and swings the game momentum.  Sort of close but this was OVERTURNED and reversed. Supposed to be obvious and clear to do so, not 'yeah we sort of think so'.  And I guess backpedaling while struggling to hold onto a ball is a 'football move' now

F*** the nfl and it's refs.  

It would figure if Notre Dame and the Cowboys once again win on this special weekend.  The thing is if it means Pittsburgh having to travel to Kansas City as a 2 seed for a possible AFC Title game at Arrowhead, and they get whopped, so be it.  Until the Steelers beat the Chiefs, I'd never pick them to beat Kansas City.  Even if the game was played at Heinz Field with fans, I still don't see the Steelers beating the Chiefs with Pittsburgh as Number 1 and Kansas City at Number 2.

Still a step in the right direction for Pittsburgh.  As mentioned, they're not going 16-0, though I don't know if you'd want to take an L against this team.  Unless they plan on beating Baltimore again or Buffalo at New Era in Orchard

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Pittsburgh.  I do not like you.  I ALREADY feel gross rooting for you so to have you put in this effort?  Get your shit together!

If it makes you feel any better, I do appreciate the support. Also, fuuuuccckkkk Dallas.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

If I needed any more proof that this year is totally off balance... I'm sad that Dallas lost.  Oy vey.

It’s like I just don’t even know you anymore!

(but for real is it because you can’t root for Pittsburgh?)

• LOL 5
14 minutes ago, mojoween said:

It’s like I just don’t even know you anymore!

(but for real is it because you can’t root for Pittsburgh?)

For real it's because I can't root for Pittsburgh because Ravens.  And their sleazy QB. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

Yes. They are bad at pass defense and Jamal Adams helps them not at all in that regard. They have given up the fifth most points in the league. The Patriots looked awesome against them and horrible the rest of the year. The fewest points they’ve given up in a game so far is 23. 

Tom is finding out what its like to play real opponents on a regular basis.   Without an O-Line designed to protect him.   

that was just UGLY.

On a brighter note, the Cowboys actually held their own against the Steelers.   Yeah they lost and there are no moral victories in football, but they didn't completly suck this week.

• Love 2

Things aren't going so well for Brady either.   First time he has ever been swept by a divisional opponent in his career.  Antonio Brown isn't helping things.   He literally stopped on one route which led to one of Brady's THREE interceptions.   

It wasn't Brady, it wasn't Belichek that made the Pats so good all those years.   It was Brady AND Belichek together.   

• Love 5

The amount of pundits making excuses for Tampa is why I hate Brady (also he is smug and arrogant but I digress).

They are basically putting it all on the defense and I’m sorry what?  Tampa did not have a first down in the first quarter.  How the fuck is that the defenses fault?  New Orleans scored 31 points in the first half and seven in the second.  Sounds like the defense made some adjustments to me!  But the sorry offense didn’t in any measurable fashion keep up.

Shut it, pundits.

• Love 8
20 hours ago, Carey said:

Great games today; I guess I'll pick Washington, Tennessee, Minnesota, Kansas City, Houston, Indianapolis, Buffalo, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Arizona, Tampa Bay, & New England for the win.  That means their opponents will win, sorry about that!

No need for apologies, you picked the right teams!

Vikings played a good game yesterday. The offensive line has finally showed up the past two games!! Stafford can throw the ball and get it to the receivers but they are not good at actually catching the ball and hanging onto it. Many times throughout the game I'd see the receiver get the ball and think "oh crap" and then they'd drop it.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

If it wasn't a factor for lower NBA ratings then why was this ever brought up?  Why the change?

Reading that article, it sounds like they did some unusual and extraordinary things this season in relation to the murder of George Floyd.  And they expect some of those unusual changes to not be in place next season. He never blamed ratings.

And again, basically all sports are down whether known for social justice or not.  I also don't think you can discount how displaced many of these sports were. 

So when I see ratings being blamed on social justice messaging by owners or the media, I am skeptical.  But it's not the first time people use a narrow amount of data as "proof" of an argument that weakens when more data is pulled in.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Things aren't going so well for Brady either.   First time he has ever been swept by a divisional opponent in his career.  Antonio Brown isn't helping things.   He literally stopped on one route which led to one of Brady's THREE interceptions.   

It wasn't Brady, it wasn't Belichek that made the Pats so good all those years.   It was Brady AND Belichek together.   

Yeah, I heard today someone said Brady had never lost twice to one team in the regular season.  Was that supposed to be shocking?  The only teams you see twice in the regular season are divisional rivals, like you said, and the Patriots dominated that division.  Not surprising at all.  But then, they are always trying to make something out of nothing.  Can't wait to hear the hype about how exciting tonight's game is going to be.

Okay, so watching Colin now and the graphic says, "Should we be weary of ...Steelers despite 8-0 record?". Yeah, as a Ravens fan, I've been weary of the Steelers for years now.  Perhaps they mean wary?

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, basiltherat said:

Perhaps the reason for Tommy The Egomaniac's drubbing by NO is that Karma slapped him for hiring an (alleged) rapist.  Although, strangely, that didn't work for Rotlesberger today.

I don't believe in Karma.  Too many people still get rewarded when they shouldn't.  Yeah, I don't know what they might be going through in their private lives, but winning huge things, like the Superbowl, when Karma is supposed to be knocking them back...  Yeah.  Karma doesn't exist.