Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Everything slid.   

Although I notice the Steelers still play Sunday.    What the hell did the Rooneys do to Goodell?   

So right now its Steelers - Ravens on Tuesday December 1

Steelers v No Name Football Team at 1 p.m on Sunday  December 6

Ravens - Cowboys at 5 pm. on Monday December 7.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I was going by ESPN's report. Sorry.

It still affects the Ravens game on Thursday. They can't play with such a short turnaround time.

eta: ESPN just put it on the crawl and says Tuesday at 8.

Yeah. Sorry for the lack of clarification. I was talking about the Thursday night Cowboy/Ravens game.  You said it'd be affected and indeed it was.

So the Ravens have an outbreak and the league reschedules to give them five off days before their next game. The Steelers don't have an outbreak and they get four off days?

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, xaxat said:

So the Ravens have an outbreak and the league reschedules to give them five off days before their next game. The Steelers don't have an outbreak and they get four off days?

Didn't think about that. Move the Steelers game to Monday as well! It's the least the league could do.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Anyone know why it's taking them so long to pick a damn name?  What are they waiting for?  They could have had a contest or something and gotten people interested.  It's just a name. 

It's actually MUCH more complicated than I thought it would be. It takes months and months of work to get all of the things done. Some of it is legal stuff (like imagine if they come up with a name and logo that accidentally looks like something that somebody else owns.) A lot of it is marketing.  According to the team earlier this year, they were hoping to have it all done before next season, although they weren't 100% sure they wouldn't have to play another year without a new name.

As for the Steelers getting the short end of the stick, it's just bad luck that they ended up being seriously affected by outbreaks on other teams. It could have been any team, and the league's action would have been the same. The fact is, the league making the decisions to postpone games strictly based on medical reasons and not at all on what's fair.

In this case, because the Ravens outbreak isn't yet contained, they had to move the game back until Tuesday. All of the rest of the shuffling then falls as it fell. Assuming the Ravens stop turning up a whole bunch of new positives for the next couple days, they'll play this game on Tuesday. And the league couldn't care less if the Ravens have to do so with 10-12 regular players sitting out. They gave the teams an expanded practice squad and new return from IR rules.

In my opinion, it's been quite the accomplishment for the league to get this far into the season with as little interruption as they've had. If we go back to what people were saying here in the summer, there was a whole lot of doubt they'd get in a season.

4 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:
4 hours ago, xaxat said:

Didn't think about that. Move the Steelers game to Monday as well! It's the least the league could do.

Given who Pittsburgh's Week 14 opponent is, along with the time and venue, they are better off playing Washington on Sunday, December 6.  You'd have people complaining about having back-to-back short weeks

7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Adam Schefter reported Matt Patricia and Bob Quinn have been relieved by the Lions.

Have they called Eric Bienemy yet?

The fans are the ones who are relieved. 

Another failed BB disciple.  Add him to the list.  

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Adam Schefter reported Matt Patricia and Bob Quinn have been relieved by the Lions.

Have they called Eric Bienemy yet?

Not before calling Bill O'Brien.  Or Adam Gase.

Speaking of which, I wonder how their pursuit of a GM will go.  Detroit hasn't been all that great when it comes to their GM decisions, let alone their HC's.  I don't know if Bienemy will go to Detroit; people might say "Don't go there!"  I think Eric will wait until a better spot opens up.  OTOH it might be moot if Harbaugh ends up being the next Lions HC/GM

The Broncos have no plans to forfeit and fuck’s sake they shouldn’t have to.  Didn’t the NFL already talk about giving up the Super Bowl bye week in case something happened?  Tomorrow really needs to be a week off, even if it’s not fair to four other teams.

Also rumor is all three Broncos QB’s on the COVID protocol list were allegedly not wearing masks when they should have been, and I cannot.

34 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

49ers won't be allowed to play two home games at home under new county ban on contact sports. I believe this also affects Stanford.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30408401/contact-sports-ban-leaves-san-francisco-49ers-other-bay-area-teams-limbo

Oh wow.  We had sports shutdowns in our area as well but professional sports were given an exemption (probably because of all the testing).  Does this mean they play in LA as well?

2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Didn’t the NFL already talk about giving up the Super Bowl bye week in case something happened?

I heard an exec talking and he said that they can push the Super Bowl back up to four weeks. 

5 hours ago, xaxat said:

About that Tuesday game. . . 

That game is a mess now because of both teams.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Oh wow.  We had sports shutdowns in our area as well but professional sports were given an exemption (probably because of all the testing).  Does this mean they play in LA as well?

They can actually play in SF or Oakland. As far as I know, their counties don't have these measures in place.

• Useful 3

Listen.......

The nfl if the 1000 pound gorilla in sports.  They could play the superbowl at 3 am on April fool's day if they wanted and everyone would jump around to make it happen. 

It's not a matter of IF things can be delayed.   It's a matter of how damn stubborn goodell and the league are going to be about it all.  

And as always I'm sure they will make last minute stupid decisions that help really no teams 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

I don't know if I said this here, I've been saying it a few place.    they need to shut down the season.   Resume AFTER the vaccine is available (if you think the NFL can't wangle a way to the front of the line, well see above about the 1000 pound gorilla).   then pick up with the playoffs like the NBA did   With the exceptions of the NFC East, it's pretty clear who the top teams are in each division.   Call it a season and move on.   Continuing at this point is madness.

The 49ers are looking at Arizona which has fewer state wide restrictions and no home game conflicts with the Cardinals.   They can't just move to any stadium because of replay.   It has to be hooked into New York.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

I don’t blame the Broncos in this instance. They’re in a literal no win situation. 

The Broncos should shoulder the blame, they chose to ignore a league memo and they are suffering the consequences.

• Love 5

The Fox pregame show just stated one of Denver's QBs originally tested positive for Covid and the team was not forthcoming to the NFL about it. Then the NFL got a pic of all 4 Broncos QBs sitting together maskless in a meeting and pulled all 4 of them. Now they are stuck with a practice squad wide receiver at QB. Good grief. 

• Useful 4

I'm sorry, but I'm blaming the Broncos as well.  Whether someone wants to say that, "No one knows whether they caught the virus for such close contact without a mask or not," they were in such close contact without a mask, period.  Rules are rules.  As mentioned, I wasn't picking them to beat the Saints anyway.  I do kind of wish they would have allowed former players on their coaching staff to participate given the times we are in.  However, rules are rules.  And they league did expand the practice squad and other stuff.

I like Miami, Arizona, Carolina, Cleveland, Tennessee, New York, Buffalo, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Kansas City, Green Bay, and Seattle to win today.  I don't know what to expect with that AFC South battle.  That could go either way.  And Tampa could somehow beat the daylights out of Kansas City.  I can't say Mahomes will go throughout his career with some success in every game he plays.  Chances are that there will be a game or two where someone dominates him for 60 minutes.  I'd be surprised if Tampa Bay did that today, but at the same time, I don't think Kansas City will get to Brady and company as much as the Rams did

• Love 4

It's stuff like this that sours me on the NFL. I know it's not the entire league, but they're acting like they're above public health. I know being a private entity means they can't be ordered to shut down, but I'd have a great laugh if the City of Denver sued the NFL or something like that. 

And after all the drama over the non-QB QB starting today in Denver, he's on the sideline draped in the coat.  When the announcers are talking about him and then they're, wait, who's in the huddle, you know you're in trouble.

But then they say that the defense won't know what's coming at them.  Golly, I do.  Run left, run right, run up the middle.

Your New York Football Giants are tied for first place in the NFC East, and they hold the tiebreaker with the Football Team. 

• LOL 1
2 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I watch Red Zone. It's football with ADHD. 

I watch the DirecTV Red Zone Channel when I don't want to pay attention and I don't want to deal with commercial breaks.  I have no idea how Andrew Siciliano bounces from game to game like that and makes it look relatively seamless.  I have to assume it's the same on the NFL Red Zone offering.

• Love 1

Yes, the announcer, whose name I have forgotten (Scott Hanson?), does a great job as they bounce back and forth between games. Of course, they have the octobox capability to show 8 games simultaneously. 😁

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Yes, the announcer, whose name I have forgotten, does a great job as they bounce back and forth between games. Of course, they have the octobox capability to show 8 games simultaneously. 😁

Scott Hanson

22 minutes ago, Carey said:

Scott Hanson

Thanks. I remembered after the fact and edited my post. 😊

25 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Note to Buccaneers: Maybe try covering Tyreek Hill, see how that works out for you.

203 yards and 2 TDs in the first quarter!