Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Great game by Jimmy G. He had a great game in a surprisingly competitive Niners/Cardinals game. Jimmy was very sharp tonight and he kept the offense rolling to get the 49ers their eight win in a row.

Kyler Murray performance also wasn't bad. Especially for a rookie on a struggling team. He hung in there and helped the Cardinals keep the game close. He made a nice throw towards the end of the game to make it close. He certainly performed/fared better against the 49ers defense than other QB's on better teams have this year. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 3

Gardner Minshew had a really rough game today. Definitely his worst game of the season. He was jittery and looked like a rookie today. The Jags have a bye week coming up and Nick Foles is expected to be active on Week 11. I could see today's game making it easier for the coaches to insert Nick back as the starting QB. I definitely think that could happen.

But in spite of today's rough game, I really have enjoyed watching Gardner overall. Overall he has done a nice job (4-4) as a starter, after Nick went down. of helping the Jags stay in the mix. Especially for 6th round rookie. I do think though that Gardner has shown overall that he can play in the league. I would like him to get the opportunity to start a full season one day.

The Jags are 4-5 as a team, there is still some room there for them to try and make a playoff push as a WC. Maybe they can do that and that might happen should Nick be inserted back into the lineup. 

Also, DeShaun Watson was once again impressive today.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Oof. Is the Minshew magic over, or does it just not travel well?

Hopefully, it was just a rough game for him by a  rookie. He really was very jittery today and making some throws he usually doesn't make. I hope he grows from this experience and can eventually have a bounce back game. But I think that might not be anytime soon, because I think they will start Nick Foles in week 11 after their bye.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

I agree, he did not seem quite himself. I wonder if the time change thing just threw him off. How far ahead of the game do teams arrive in London? 

I have enjoyed Minshew ..and his dad. But I did want to see what Foles would bring and I still do. I hope it's not too late. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

I agree, he did not seem quite himself. I wonder if the time change thing just threw him off. How far ahead of the game do teams arrive in London? 

I have enjoyed Minshew ..and his dad. But I did want to see what Foles would bring and I still do. I hope it's not too late. 

I'm not sure how far ahead teams usually arrive in London for the games. But this week the Jags arrived there on Friday. Gardner did say that it felt like the days were kind of blurring together since he arrived there. Maybe that did throw him off some. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Holy fuckballs the Jets just got screwed.  That is NOT what replay is for.

After today's performance falling flat on their face on the winless Dolphins, I personally don't give a damn about the Jets getting screwed over. The Dolphins showed more heart today than the Jets did today. Those jerks just screwed me over giving those Dolphins their first win of the season. Adam Gase & Sam Darnold should be ashamed of themselves today. Adam Gase have better get fired tomorrow for their crappy performance. I rarely get angry over watching NFL games, but I am downright infuriated right now about those Same Old Jets letting the Dolphins off the hook. 

Edited by Magog

Also, The Tank Bowl between Miami and Cincinnati is now off the table.  

East Coast bias alert - football in LA just looks awful. (weather-wise)

Good god Tony Romo says three words and I already want to hit the teevee.  He clearly needs a throat lozenge and also he’s just...him.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

I know we have Bears and Lions and Vikings fans lurking about who loathe the very fiber the Packers walk on, but for me it is very imperative that Aaron Rodgers start to do Aaron Rodgers things.  Posthaste.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Well, with the Ravens up 17 with under 3 minutes to go, it's pretty safe to say that the Pats will fall from the unbeaten ranks. 

Let's see what the Niners can do with that almost last place schedule.

They were saying today that the Raiders don't have anybody left on their schedule except for Kansas City that has a winning record.

• Love 1

The Dolphins fired Adam Gase.   For some reason know only to the powers of the universe, the Jets hired him.   This is the result.

My Dallas loving heart rejoiced in the Packers getting steamrolled.   Speaking of my Dallas loving heart, my hubby now refers to the Skins as the Redsux.   I have trained him well.   

I would not put it past Belichek to lose on purpose.   Now the press can stop talking about an unbeaten season and what happened the LAST time the Pats went 16-0.   Because, of course, they are winning their division and going to the playoffs.   Once there, anything can happen.   

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

Bad day for the NFC North.  I took a nap in the second quarter of the Packers-Chargers came, woke up halfway through the fourth, and did quite the double take upon reading the score.

That is my only consolation for the Vikings losing - Packers and Chicago lost, too. And Patriots, which doesn't affect the NFC north,  but makes me feel better.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Yesssss! I rewound the footage of Tom Brady shouting "FUCK!" and throwing his ipad to the ground at least 10 times. I picked the Ravens to win and all my Steelers-loving friends are mad at me now.

Not sure what to make of the that Packer's dismantling. Are the Chargers really that different from the other teams they have been beating. 

Edited by TVbitch
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I didn't have a hat in the ring for the Packers/Chargers, but I did enjoy playing "Where's Waldo?" trying to spot the odd Chargers fan in the stands. 

Regarding Pats/Ravens, Brady showed his age last night. He's never been an agile guy, but he looked borderline senior citizen trying to dodge the Ravens defense. It's going to be an interesting second half of their season.

Edited by BitterApple
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

The Ravens just flat out beat the Patriots. In every phase of the game. It took two bad turnovers, gifting great field position, for the Patriots to even get on the scoreboard in the first half.

People were talking about how Bill Belichick would "show everyone how to stop Lamar Jackson", yet he had no answer for it. His much vaunted defense played an offense that they just couldn't handle, and it was their limitations that were exposed.

I think it's clear that Brady doesn't have a lot of targets that he likes, this year. The Patriots were so active acquiring receivers - Thomas, Brown, Gordon - but none of them have stuck, and they were reduced to giving up a second round pick for perennial 'third guy' Sanu.

Anyway, it's also clear that the Ravens are getting stronger as the season goes on, which is going to be crucial, because they have a tough run of games coming up. Harbaugh, Martindale and De Costa deserve a lot of credit for looking at the underperforming defense and making key changes - signing Bynes and Fort as two unheralded ILBs and trading for Marcus Peters. They've made the world of difference, as has giving Chuck Clark the mic on defense.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

It doesn't matter how much talent they have if they aren't mature enough to handle adversity.

The Browns are talented, they are also incredibly immature.  Every time players open their mouths or spout off on social media, they just make matters worse.

Baker Mayfield may have gotten the head coach he wanted, but the Browns didn't hire the coach the team needed. 

Amen, amen and amen. If Baker doesn't change his attitude, we could be looking at another Johnny Manziel...and nobody wants that. 😳😳😳😳😳

• Love 2
On 11/3/2019 at 6:43 PM, Bastet said:

Bad day for the NFC North.  I took a nap in the second quarter of the Packers-Chargers came, woke up halfway through the fourth, and did quite the double take upon reading the score.

I blame the time change.  If it adversely affects 3 year olds, how can we be surprised that it affects professional athletes?  But seriously, the Packers looked like the whole team drank a bottle of Nyquil before the game began.  And the Dolphins won and the Patriots lost.  What a strange, bizarre day.  Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies!  Rivers and seas boiling!  Forty years of darkness!  Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!  Or just another day in the NFL.  

Jerome Whitehead - WTF?  How can someone so lose control?  This certainly tops how he got himself kicked out of Green Bay.  Is he he under criminal investigation for sending threats?  

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Browns fire Jermaine Whitehead for tweeting death threats while still in uniform after the game.

https://sports.yahoo.com/browns-cut-jermaine-whitehead-after-racist-twitter-rant-that-included-death-threats-140237110.html

This is when I'm going to miss Deadspin. Because this story was made for their no euphemism coverage of sports.

I laughed when the security guard was like "This way to the exit please." with the cat.

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
20 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I laughed when the security guard was like "This way to the exit please." with the cat.

I hope they find and arrest whoever dumped the cat at the Giants/Cowboy game. No way the cat wandered out there on its own. That's animal abuse.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I hope they find and arrest whoever dumped the cat at the Giants/Cowboy game. No way the cat wandered out there on its own. That's animal abuse.

I hope they caught the cat and didn't just shoo it out into the parking lot. Its notoriety would probably ensure it went to a good home.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

It's possible it could be a stray. People leave loads of food on the ground after games and concerts which can attract all kinds of vermin and the cats help keep their population down.

• Love 1

Everyone who thought it was funny a cat was running scared around a huge, noisy stadium can line up for my cat to take a claws-out swat at their faces. 

I had been enjoying the hell out of the drive, then that upset me, then the Giants had to settle for a FG, and then the Cowboys scored the go-ahead TD, leaving me cranky at halftime.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Fuck these officials sideways for their inconsistent definition of pass interference.

Seriousfuckingly.  So the clear DPI was actually not DPI against Dallas, but the questionable DPI was actually DPI against the Giants.  Fuck right off with that bullshit, NFL.

• Love 3

the kitty is fine.    An intrepid reporter actually talked to MetLife Stadium security.   There are a bunch of strays who live at the stadium.   After the game people feed them and stuff.   This one just woke up and went exploring a little early.   Then got very very scared by all the noise.   Poor thing.

Lots of folks on twitter offering to adopt it.   Also several twitter accounts created in its name.  

Definitely changed the luck for my Boys.   Or you know, they woke up and realized this game counted too and started playing.   Daniel Jones looked a lot like Eli Manning out there -- throwing really bad balls and being sacked.  

Edited by merylinkid
edited to correct the name of the Giants QB.
  • Love 7

The threat to move a team to London is a smokescreen.

The NFL failed BADLY in endorsing the Chargers sudden move to LA.   The owners just saw the relocation fees.   Plus they were already there.    Now they have to fix a really really really bad situation.    So they threaten to move the team to London in the hopes that another US city says "Oh no, don't go, come here, we will build a stadium for them."   Although I'm not hearing a lot of clamoring for the Chargers to move anywhere.   Which they are not a BAD team.   But 1) Cities have wised up to the stadium extortion thing and 2) no one wants to put up with Spanos.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

There was backlash when they moved out of San Diego.  I am no longer a fan.  They probably can't do any further damage than they already have since the move.

That's kinda my point. There was backlash in San Diego. In L.A., it'll be a shrug of the shoulders. They play in a 27,000 seat stadium, which is mostly filled by fans of the opposing team. Most of the San Diego fans have abandoned them, and L.A. doesn't care.

All that said, there's a bunch of logistical reasons why there won't be a permanent London team. Besides, the NFL is already making decent coin on these London games, even without a legit "home team".

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 11/2/2019 at 12:34 PM, icemiser69 said:

I think it was Jason Whitlock who called him "Jimmy G String".

"Jason Whitlock" and "g string", two phrases that should never be in the same sentence.

29 minutes ago, Kip Hackman said:

All that said, there's a bunch of logistical reasons why there won't be a permanent London team.

I'm skeptical as well, but I heard an interview with Jim Nantz where he hinted that the league had already done a lot of work on the hurdles that people have mentioned. For example, the team would still be based in the US (players, practice facilities etc.) Their season would be separated into quarters. Four straight games on the road in the US followed by four straight games living in London as the "home" team, repeat. This isn't a lark, the league has seriously worked on it.

2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

no one wants to put up with Spanos.

I still think it's hilarious that the desire to keep San Diego Comic-Con played a role in the Chargers' departure. 

Edited by xaxat
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

According to Adam Scheftner and other reporters on Twitter the Jaguars have decided to bench Gardner Minshew and Nick roles will start in week 11 for the Colts.

Also Cam has been placed on IR by the Panthers and Kyle Allen will start for the rest of the season.

I enjoyed watching Gardner play and I hope he gets the chance to start again. I do think he could be a starter in this league. I wonder how Nick will fare, the Jags technically are still in the mix and could get a WC spot.

I also wonder if Cam will end up moving on from the Panthers after this season. Especially if they get into the playoffs with Kyle Allen. I have enjoyed Cam as well and would like to see him get healthy and have a chance at playing again. (Though, that may end up being for another team).

Edited by Jx223
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm skeptical that the NFL would be sustainable for 4 weeks in London versus the Premiere League, unless all the London teams play away for an entire month. Even then, fans travel well. 

And what happens when the team owner decides that Wembley Stadium isn't good enough for them, and demands the Brits build him a new stadium?  They'd be out of there faster than you can say Brexit.

The networks would also have to have a more or less permanent crew over there, too, for an eight week schedule.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Sure, probably, but the NFL has had a boner for expanding into London for a long time. It'll probably be a disaster, but it's clearly what they're dying to do.

Myself I think they should contract the Jets as a failed franchise, then the Chargers can move into their spot in New Jersey. Then split the Patriots into two teams to get back to 30 franchises.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I think Denver would object to a franchise in Salt Lake. They're the team over most of the mountain west. I would speculate Seattle/Portland might be similar. 

The NFL isn't going to expand into a second tier market. That's why owners whined so much about taking teams to LA. I suppose they could go back to St. Louis. Most major markets are covered by the NFL. Is San Antonio too small a market, or too close to Dallas? You'd think the South could support another franchise. What's a good big city in the South?

Honestly, internationally, Mexico City seems logistically better than London. I can't imagine many players are going to want to stick with a London team with all that travel or being away from kids, family for that long a stretch.

• Useful 2