Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

​RULE 3, SECTION 2, ARTICLE 7 (2)

PLAYER POSSESSION

Item 4. Ball Touches Ground. If the ball touches the ground after the player secures control of it, it is a catch, provided that the player continues to maintain control.

And while that call didn't determine the final outcome. The seven points the Broncos got off the subsequent sack/fumble was pivotal in the first half. Both in the score and the loss of a timeout for the Panthers on their drive headed into the half.

• Love 1

I don't mean to be a bag, but I'm watching the game on my own. What's everyone's first Superbowl? Mine was the Raiders over the Redskins, when Marcus Allen ran all over the place.

As Washington’s hopes faded into the dying daylight

On came Marcus Allen

Running with the night

— John Facenda, narrator for NFL Films, describing Allen’s 74-yard touchdown run

That run, and that game, was a thing of beauty, though not my first Super Bowl.

The tip did hit the ground.

Congrats to Miller. Great MVP choice. Classy of Norman and Newton to congratulate Manning. The Panthers will win the SB in the next few years- Cam needed one under his belt so the next one he won't look like he's going to throw up.

That's the thing. What sucks about Carolina losing is that they might never make it back.  I often think of Dan Marino and Miami when assuming that the Panthers can afford to take the loss since they're good enough to return.  A more brutal comparison is Jim Kelly and Buffalo.  IMO, the Panthers are very good and they'll get people back that were gone for the year (like the top WR).  The thing is Atlanta is probably going to be much better and stay that way throughout.  Tampa is coming along; maybe give them a year or two.  Arizona probably will take care of unfinished business, and then Seattle could also avenge this past year.  Then there's Green Bay; the NFC is pretty deep, has been for a long time.  You see so many different teams over the years, while in the AFC it's Manning or Brady all the time.

I have no problems with Cam's behavior post-game.  I think he should have been a better sport, but I'm giving him a pass based on the fact that the Media hates him anyway, so there's no need to be a better individual, especially after a rather painful loss

• Love 2

And a truly unexplainable replay non call that led to a touchdown. I wonder if the NFL and it's associated networks will throw that in the memory hole.

Don't even talk to me about that so-called "non catch" that was called by the Refs. Ron Rivera issued a challenge that SHOULD have rightly been overturned, and NO, these assholes didn't bother. Terrible officiating for the Panthers, since they missed a pass interference call later on....

SMH.

I have no problems with Cam's behavior post-game.  I think he should have been a better sport, but I'm giving him a pass based on the fact that the Media hates him anyway, so there's no need to be a better individual, especially after a rather painful loss

Neither do I. Dude's a very passionate guy. This has got to hurt....

• Love 3

What did Deion say about Cam? I was driving home and didn't see most of the post-game commentary.

Deion and Michael were basically saying Cam has to be a better professional. Deion specifically said as MVP and one of the faces of the league, Cam simply cant do what he did (walk off). He said Manning, Brees and even Brady would not have done that.

Marshall basically gave him a pass saying its Cam's first major professional loss, and once he sees how badly he reacted and recovers from the hurt he'll learn. He also had a good soundbite... Something to the effect "dont say something wrong, trying to do something right". He thinks if Cam wasnt mature enough to handle the onslaught of questions he probably was better off getting up and leaving rather than saying something crazy. Which I agree with I suppose. Its the lesser of two evils.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 3

I thought it was a catch too. But how many times did Cam get sacked? Congrats to the Broncos. Miller and Ware were on fire.

Bruno was my fave of the singers. I did feel sorry for Coldplay as it seemed the sound was all screwed up during most of their act. I had to turn my volume way up and still could hardly hear them.

The worst batch of SB commercials ever.

A couple good ones, but seriously? When Dame Helen Mirren bores you (even with a valid & good reason), and Christopher Walken comes across as a douche car salesman, then they're really bad.

Good analysis. Really they were total shit, and those two shockingly bad considering the talent involved.

And even the well produced commercials, like the Turkish Airlines ones, were fucking head scratchers. I'm still trying to puzzle out why those exist and were worth the gazillions of dollars that were clearly spent on them. I am so damn confused what was being accomplished there.

I thought it was a catch too. But how many times did Cam get sacked? Congrats to the Broncos. Miller and Ware were on fire.

Bruno was my fave of the singers. I did feel sorry for Coldplay as it seemed the sound was all screwed up during most of their act. I had to turn my volume way up and still could hardly hear them.

At least 7 times from what I read - Cam getting sacked. Best defense in the league totally proved it. Congrats Wade Phillips, ignored for a year, and boom, FU league, I'll just lead my team to a SB!!

As Mr HD is a Cowboys fan, I kept yelling at the TV, "Why didn't the Coyboys KEEP him!!" (this refers to both Wade Phillips AND DeMarcus Ware)

Coldplay were the only act that I liked - because they played live. I hate lipsyncing and I hate manufactured acts, so Beyonce and Bruno, you fail big time. Overall it was pretty boring (especially for a milestone show). But at least Coldplay could play live and play well.

• Love 1

I'm just not seeing the officiating as having an effect on the game, so talking about one catch is short sighted. If anything, it's just another argument to remove the constant looking over the shoulder of the refs. Get rid of replays and challenges, except for goal line. It is beyond impossible to expect that every call is going to be correct, and the replays don't correct that. Let the refs call the game. Play will be quicker.

• Love 1

Since Seattle is my team, just so long as it wasn't New England, I'm okay with it.  

Regarding the fact that they didn't overturn the incomplete call on the field, that was a catch.  The ball never hit the ground, not even the tip of it.  That was a critical call at the time.  (I'm having flashbacks to the Steelers/Seahawks in SB XL.  This one call doesn't compare to that fiasco, though.)  

I liked the Jeep commercial and the Mini Cooper Defy Labels clip.  I loved seeing the trailer for the new Damon/Bourne movie and the new ID4 movie, two of my favorites.  And I'm going to try and find some of that Death Wish coffee.  

Edited by 33kaitykaity
  • Love 2

The catch or not-catch had literally no bearing on the outcome of this game.

People will complain regardless. There have been worse missed calls that changed outcomes of the game, but the difference now than before is that people have social media and what not to complain about. Back in the old days, there were calls and people would argue about it while watching and then move on. Now? Not so much. People want to blame the refs for pretty much everything- it's easy sitting at home and having replay to make a call when out there everything happens so quickly. They can't replay every single thing out there- for every PI missed there is an offensive hold that is missed.

That said since I'm the only one on here that didn't think it was a catch, I will sit at my table of one. I don't blame Cam for his attitude- it's got to hurt because he's never felt like this. He won at Auburn, he had a great year...it's got to be hard. Hopefully he will wake up tomorrow and realize it was just a game and come back stronger.

• Love 2
It is beyond impossible to expect that every call is going to be correct, and the replays don't correct that.

But when analyzed correctly, replays do. I really don't understand the objection to trying to make the officiating as good as possible. No, not every call is gonna be right (or called), but when you have a chance to fix a bad call, why not do it?

If I cared about overly long games I wouldn't watch football in the first place.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 2

I give Cam a pass. Of course the media won't. They live for this stuff. HA!

Anyway, he's very young. This is his first super bowl and a tough loss. He'll live. We all will. And he'll learn from this experience and handle it better next time, if there is a next time.

I agree. He is still young and I hope he will learn and grow from this experience. I hope he and the Panthers will bounce back. They really were outstanding overall this year, but the Broncos defense was also outstanding and played better than they did tonight. It's tough to experience that type of loss, and when everything else was going right for him.  But sometimes that happens, and people just have to learn from it and move on.

I'm happy for Peyton; he's been a great competitor, and in my life the only pair of rivals I have ever seen define a league's narrative the way Brady and Manning have was Bird and Magic. I hope he has enough sense to go out this way... these chances don't come very often.  Ted Williams hit a home run in his final at-bat, but The Rest of the Story is that he skipped the following 3-game road trip to New York.

I think the first Super Bowl I remember watching was probably X, the second Bradshaw Steelers win.  I don't think I ever saw one played at Tulane.

Also, I'm expecting everyone here who hates my Patriots to root for them at least half-heartedly next year, just for all the fun you can have with "Super Bowl LI" .

• Love 1

There is no way they are going to get rid of replays nor should they. Not in the era of 60 inch tvs and camera angles every which way. They could get away with not getting the calls right in years past because the audience themselves weren't sure what they say. Thats not the case now. Everyone at home can rewind, slo-mo, zoom in, and do whatever else to look at the play....how the hell cant the NFL? Whats the point of even having refs on the field if they're not going to try to get all the calls right. Are they going to ever get *all* the calls right? Probably not. But they should at the very least try.

I dont know if they need to add more refs on the field, or do like the NBA and have a "Replay Center" somewhere. But they need to do something.

• Love 1

I'm just not seeing the officiating as having an effect on the game, so talking about one catch is short sighted. If anything, it's just another argument to remove the constant looking over the shoulder of the refs. Get rid of replays and challenges, except for goal line. It is beyond impossible to expect that every call is going to be correct, and the replays don't correct that. Let the refs call the game. Play will be quicker.

Disagree, dude. That catch (god I forget the person who made it!!), that Ron Rivera challenged, was totally a CATCH! That was a terrible call. That could have led to a touchdown, and some energy for the team. Later on ( in the third Qrt) there was a blatant pass interference call that should have been made against the Broncos, yet funnily enough, no call.

Officiating was terrible for most parts, and obviously favoured the Broncos. Just saying...

• Love 5

I'm happy for Peyton; he's been a great competitor,

Also, I'm expecting everyone here who hates my Patriots to root for them at least half-heartedly next year, just for all the fun you can have with "Super Bowl LI" .

Haha, didn't think of that. That being said, I would never root for the Patriots to go to the Super Bowl- my Bills loving heart wouldn't allow it.

My first SB was the second Bills loss- I always rooted for the underdog and they lost that, then the next two. And that is how I got my bad taste in football teams (same with the Broncos who always lost, but luckily won a few after I rooted for them). Maybe it's time to complete the trifecta and become an LA Rams fan now that they are back in town. Can't be any worse than the Bills.

Edited by twoods

The catch or not-catch had literally no bearing on the outcome of this game. 

It being ruled a non-catch led almost immediately to the Broncos defense scoring a TD.  It had an outcome on the game though with the way the Broncos D played, I still think they need to win.

Bad job by Cam at the postgame press conference.  If you're going to talk the talk, you need to stand up there and talk after you lose a game.  He's the first one in front of a camera when he scores a TD or when things are going good.  I like Cam and I think a lot of the criticism he's gotten this year has been silly.  He's going to be back at the Super Bowl probably sooner rather than later.  But he's a 26 year-old father now...the "he's young" excuse just doesn't cut it anymore.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 5
But when analyzed correctly, replays do. I really don't understand the objection to trying to make the officiating as good as possible. No, not every call is gonna be right (or called), but when you have a chance to fix a bad call, why not do it?

No, they don't. Replay doesn't correct calls all the time. Officials call the game differently because they know there is replay. It takes way way too much time. Football isn't about football anymore and it hasn't been for a while. If it was there would be no replay or challenges. Give the officials the resources they need to succeed to call the game on the field. There will be blown calls. It will even out. Officiating crews should be assessed and penalized if they blew calls. The best crews will officiate the most important games. 

The actual product on the field is continually degrading. If the league doesn't know this, then they're just stupid. 

Bill Romanowski needs to hush. It's one thing not to care for the way Cam handled himself during the press conference is another thing to say he will never last in the NFL and call him a "boy".  Bill is one to be lecturing people considering he spit in a players face, among many other misdeeds that he was fined for. 

Rob Lowe's comment are eye roll worthy too, another one of those "you need to be a role model for children" junk. Both Bill and Rob are getting it on Twitter right now.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

This was an odd game for me to watch, as I was basically rooting for both teams but not caring who won.

But that was outstanding defense by Denver, so my hat's off to them.  I feel bad for Carolina; what a disappointing loss after such an exciting season. 

As for the much disputed catch, when I saw it in real time I thought it hit the ground between the first and second times he had it in his hands, so I wasn't surprised by the incomplete pass ruling.  Then when we got a look at it during the challenge, I obviously saw that it hadn't, and it was going to come down to whether he possessed it properly once he got his hands on it the second time.  My feeling was, "It's a catch, but under the stupid catch rules, it will be ruled incomplete."  Bingo.

I went on to other things as soon as the game was over, so I don't know what Cam did.  I'm not sure I want to.  And I'm not sure it matters; he'd get shit no matter what he did.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
It had an outcome on the game though with the way the Broncos D played, I still think they need to win.

You can't convert on 3rd down for most of the game, whether or not you made a 20 yard catch in the 1st quarter isn't really relevant. You were within a TD up till 4 minutes to go. THAT ONE CATCH wasn't the endgame there.

Bill Romanowski needs to hush. It's one thing not to care for the way Cam handled himself during the press conference is another thing to say he will never last in the NFL and call him a "boy".

Bill Romanowski is a bully and needs a taste of his own medicine.

• Love 1

No, they don't. Replay doesn't correct calls all the time. Officials call the game differently because they know there is replay. It takes way way too much time. Football isn't about football anymore and it hasn't been for a while. If it was there would be no replay or challenges. Give the officials the resources they need to succeed to call the game on the field. There will be blown calls. It will even out. Officiating crews should be assessed and penalized if they blew calls. The best crews will officiate the most important games. 

The idea that blown calls somehow even out karmically and magically, so therefore we should do nothing to try to fix blown calls, is just not realistic imo. If your team loses the Super Bowl on a blown call, what the hell is going to make up for that? I don't think a blown call that goes your team's way in the third game of the season balances that out by any stretch of the imagination.

And who cares about how much time it takes? Football games are a 3-hour investment at minimum. I'll happily take an extra 5 minutes--which will be all of a 2.8% increase in game time--if it means a bad call gets fixed.

The notion that "well, you win some, you lose some, it all balances out!" is far more damaging to officiating than anything else, imo.

You can't convert on 3rd down for most of the game, whether or not you made a 20 yard catch in the 1st quarter isn't really relevant. You were within a TD up till 4 minutes to go. THAT ONE CATCH wasn't the endgame there.

Except, as many others have pointed out, that call certainly led to a 7-point swing in the game (potentially a 14). Do you really think that 7-point swing had no effect on the game?

No one is saying it was endgame. What people ARE saying is that it affected the game. I don't see how a touchdown does not affect a game.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 1

It wasn't the end game.  But the referees making the wrong decision on that catch led directly to the Broncos scoring a TD immediately afterwards.

Bill Romanowski is an ass.  I'll never forget how he broke Kerry Collins jaw when he speared him with his helmet.  He was a guy who should have been thrown out of the league years ago.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 4

This was an odd game for me to watch, as I was basically rooting for both teams but not caring who won.

But that was outstanding defense by Denver, so my hat's off to them.  I feel bad for Carolina; what a disappointing loss after such an exciting season. 

I went on to other things as soon as the game was over, so I don't know what Cam did.  I'm not sure I want to.  And I'm not sure it matters; he'd get shit no matter what he did.

The press conference wasn't the best look for him. Nonetheless there are people who are over the top with their reactions to it. As usual when it comes to Cam. Makes me wish all the more the Panthers would have won, to make some of these people be quiet. However, I do think he will look back on tonight's press conference, realize that wasn't the best way to act and learn from it. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 4

This was a very dissatisfying game. It was painful watching the mistakes the Panthers made and at the same time some of the rulings against them seemed very unfair.  And also Manning did not deserve the win IMO, he was mediocre today and mediocre the entire season. The whole game left  a bad taste in my mouth.

• Love 5

--I thought I saw a CBS graphic in the final moments of the game showing that Peyton was a 2-time Super Bowl MVP. That's why I had assumed he won.

--I walked by the recently opened Beast Mode store today. He just opened it a few days ago. Marshawn reportedly hasn't spent a dime of his playing salary.

--Random halftime rant: I love some Coldplay songs. I'm not in love with them, but if you're going to name a headliner, stick with them and let them headline!!! I think that once you perform at the Super Bowl halftime, you should be done forever, or at least 10 years. Beyonce is great, but she was just here 3 years ago, and she's singing a just-released-yesterday song. I think Coldplay's set was hurt by 1) Being in daylight. which makes it less interesting and 2) being the third wheel, which limited the options to put together a complete 12 1/2 minute show. The trend in recent years is to have a special guest for the headliner (Red Hot Chilli Peppers (forced?) on Bruno Mars two years ago. Katy Perry with Missy Elliott and Lenny Kravitz last year. But the special guests shouldn't overshadow the performance.. I wonder if we'll ever get a Lady Gaga or Taylor Swift halftime show. Maybe when they're in their 50s, like Madonna.

--I was really sad when Peyton lost six years ago and two years ago. Now I'm really just sick of him. I kind of hitched myself to the Panthers bandwagon early in the seasoin, watched nearly all their games, and am somewhat disappointed. Congrats Peyton and Papa John!

--During all his years playing for my Cal Bears, C.J. Anderson was a backup. I don't think he ever started. And the guy who he backed up wasn't all that great. So it's been odd seeing him be so successful in the NFL. Anderson becomes the third Cal RB in a row to win a Super Bowl (after Marshawn Lynch and the Patriots (now Giants') Shane Vereen, who was also mostly a backup at Cal though he started his final season).

--Did you know Reese Witherspoon is 2 days older than Peyton?

This was a very dissatisfying game. It was painful watching the mistakes the Panthers made and at the same time some of the rulings against them seemed very unfair.  And also Manning did not deserve the win IMO, he was mediocre today and mediocre the entire season. The whole game left  a bad taste in my mouth.

My feelings exactly!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Edited to add: I guess Cam-hating season has returned....I'll drink a Budweiser and watch.

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 1

It was painful watching the mistakes the Panthers made and at the same time some of the rulings against them seemed very unfair.  

Especially that one where it looked like a catch all the way (despite the bobble), yet the ref still said "incomplete." I thought that it was tailor-made for Denver with that bad call. 

• Love 3
twoods, move over at the table because I never thought it was a catch, even after replay. And the best explanation I saw was there just wasn't enough irrefutable evidence to overturn. Also, Mike Carey said it was a catch so the officials had to confirm the incomplete call, heh. The universe demanded it.
  • Love 3

DId it seem that Peyton barely recognized his children? It was as if Jim Nantz had to tell him who those two small people were.

When the presentation started you could see him holding both of his kids. I think Nantz had his orders, and the NFL loves pics of Peyton with his children, especially his son. Jim was told to ask about retirement and get the camera to pan out for the kids' pics. Now when Marshall plays football they've got the color video they can show.

I don't care how upset he was, Cam was a jerk at the press conference. Being young and passionate is no excuse for being a bad sport.

• Love 5

I don't care how upset he was, Cam was a jerk at the press conference. Being young and passionate is no excuse for being a bad sport.

I agree. He didn't have to be happy (obviously), but to show up with a hoodie pulled over his head, only answer in short phrases, and then leave after three minutes was not a good look. Cam's not used to failure, and it showed. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and do your job.

• Love 6

Bad job by Cam at the postgame press conference. If you're going to talk the talk, you need to stand up there and talk after you lose a game. He's the first one in front of a camera when he scores a TD or when things are going good. I like Cam and I think a lot of the criticism he's gotten this year has been silly. He's going to be back at the Super Bowl probably sooner rather than later. But he's a 26 year-old father now...the "he's young" excuse just doesn't cut it anymore.

I 100% agree. You can't go looking for attention and showboating when everything is going you're way and then want to go slink away when it doesnt. Man the eff up and answer the questions which up to that point from what I was able to hear werent even tough (trying to rile up a player type) questions.

And I do like Cam. I've been sticking up for him all season. But now he's given his haters (whether they're racist or not) a legit reason to complain.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 6

Bill Romanowski needs to hush. It's one thing not to care for the way Cam handled himself during the press conference is another thing to say he will never last in the NFL and call him a "boy". Bill is one to be lecturing people considering he spit in a players face, among many other misdeeds that he was fined for.

Rob Lowe's comment are eye roll worthy too, another one of those "you need to be a role model for children" junk. Both Bill and Rob are getting it on Twitter right now.

Oh the haters are gonna be in full force this week and beyond. When a statutory rapist feels he's morally superior to you, its just the tip of the iceberg.

Bill's "boy" comment...well I guess that was a compromise for not using the word he really wanted to use.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 9

Yeah, a few of us had mentioned Eli's reaction. I originally thought maybe he was just nervous because the game was still going on and would show a happier attitude, once the game was over and the Broncos officially won it. I hope he was happy for his brother. I remember Peyton being supportive of him when he won his championships.

The video clip of Eli standing up at the end of game but still having a blank look on his face has gone viral. 

Again, I refer to the Manning home videos (I've watched these things a lot). Eli was always this way, as the videos show, and as his brothers point out. It's very hard to get strong emotions from Eli, either positive or negative. I'm sure he was happy for Peyton, but he just isn't very expressive. 

Watching Cam presser....not good. Not good at all. I mean I know its a tough tough loss and emotions are high but jeez, all the good will he MAY have built this year just flew out the window. His one word answers and then to just walk off. Not good. He wants to be a role model and all that. Well part of that is being gracious in defeat. Im glad Deon is letting him have it right now.

What did Deion say about Cam? I was driving home and didn't see most of the post-game commentary.

The guys on the NFL network had a great discussion about this. Everyone made good points.

Deion: Cam, I know you're hurting, but you've got to step up. You're the league MVP and the face of the Panthers' brand. You have to learn to lose with grace and maturity. Brady, Manning, and other great quarterbacks who've lost did not act this way in their press conferences.

Marshall, Marshall, Marshall: Yes, Cam was immature. But I know what it's like to be hurting that much after a SB loss. Hopefully Cam will learn from this and won't ever act this way in the future.

Michael Irvin: I've never lost a SB [humble brag, much?] but I remember being so mad after a regular season loss that I jumped in my car with my uniform still on and drove straight home. So I understand Cam's emotions. *

*ETA; FuriousStyles, I realize I basically just repeated your entire post. LOL. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 3

That Eli Manning face was hilarious but I have no doubt that he was happy for his brother.  Archie didn't have much of a reaction on his face either and no doubt he was happy for him too.  I've watched Eli's entire career and he's not an overly emotional guy.  He's been accused earlier in his career of not having much passion but he does.  He just have a much more laid back way of leadership and it's worked for him.

• Love 7

Cooper picked up one of the kids and held him, but his face was dead serious.   So Eli wasn't the only one not showing his emotions on his face.   The boys don't I guess.   But because Eli is the little brother who before last night had 2 rings to Peyton's 1, it had to be that he was unhappy.    Again, just like Tom Brady was the only called out for missing the spot when the MVPs were introduced even though others missed it too.

I was very disappointed in the commercials.   Just not a good crop.   Doritos needs to stop with the fan created commercials.   They get dumber every year.   

Not the greatest game, but it ended the way I wanted it to.  Now I hope Peyton listens to him body and retires.   But he knew was going to get asked that question A LOT so he had a prepared answered.   Which has everyone talking about his choice of beer and not THE question so much.   Smart move.   Bud allegedly did not pay Manning for it, but he does own 2 distributorships (would someone PLEASE talk to this man about investing in quality consumables, Bud and Papa John's, REALLLY?)

• Love 3

Also Gatorade got nice product placement when the cameras panned on Peyton drinking it inside the locker room when they were introducing the MVPs. Free marketing does wonders.

Poor Eli- guy gets reemed for a 3 second clip. I'm sure he was smiling a lot and happy for his brother when the camera wasn't on him. Same with Brady- can't stand the guy but I wouldn't want to stand and wave when you're the only guy getting booed. I thought it was classless of the fans, but since most of the fans looked like Broncos ones and they even booed their own team throughout the year, not surprised.

• Love 3
The video clip of Eli standing up at the end of game but still having a blank look on his face has gone viral.

Again, I refer to the Manning home videos (I've watched these things a lot). Eli was always this way, as the videos show, and as his brothers point out. It's very hard to get strong emotions from Eli, either positive or negative. I'm sure he was happy for Peyton, but he just isn't very expressive.

Peyton was asked about Eli no long being able to hold 2 SB rings over Peyton's head and immediately shot it down with "maybe that is how it is in other families, but that is not who we are."  He then talked about having a special moment with Eli in the locker room after the game.  The whole draft-trade fiasco still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but Eli isn't that petty to be mad that his brother's team won. 

• Love 2

Poor Eli- guy gets reemed for a 3 second clip. I'm sure he was smiling a lot and happy for his brother when the camera wasn't on him. Same with Brady- can't stand the guy but I wouldn't want to stand and wave when you're the only guy getting booed. I thought it was classless of the fans, but since most of the fans looked like Broncos ones and they even booed their own team throughout the year, not surprised.

Deion Branch also got booed. I don't think people have anything against him personally. It's the entire Patriots organization and the haze of cheating that hangs over the team. 

And that's what social media is these days: 3 second clips that get replayed forever.

• Love 2

Also Gatorade got nice product placement when the cameras panned on Peyton drinking it inside the locker room when they were introducing the MVPs. Free marketing does wonders.

I wondered about this. Surely that was intentional right? I mean the producers had to have told Manning that they would be recording him for the MVP introduction if for no other reason than to make sure he was available and not in the bathroom or some other inaccessible place and not to be doing anything silly like picking his nose. It just seems a little too convenient that at that exact moment Peyton was sitting in the corner by himself drinking gaterade.

Brady wasnt the only one who didnt stop and stand at the circle. It was particularly obvious with Joe Flacco as well. They both looked like they would have rather been getting a root canal than to be there.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 2

Brady wasnt the only one who didnt stop and stand at the circle. It was particularly obvious with Joe Flacco as weel. They both looked like they would have rather been getting a root canal than to be there.

I agree. It seems like the younger players (specifically, the active players) weren't overjoyed to be there. It must stink to have to make an appearance at a Super Bowl that you're not playing in--it doesn't matter if you've won before and were the MVP.

It was great seeing the older players--even the ones who were too sick to travel and had to be interviewed at home. 

It reminded me of Hall of Fame weekend of Canton. All NFL fans should try go at least once, if you can. There's something about being able to stand inches away from great players you've seen and admired on TV. And most of them are really, really nice. Gives me goosebumps.

• Love 3

The crowd also booed Ray Lewis, and I kind of feel once you boo a(n alleged) murderer, its kinda silly to boo a player you just don't like very much. The space between being a maybe cheater and a maybe murderer is pretty big and while I don't love Brady, it had to suck to get louder jeers than Ray Lewis. I wouldn't want to be out there either considering.

As for Eli, I'm sure the brothers do joke around about their careers, but it seems pretty clear that the Manning family isn't petty about that sort of thing. The fact the bros play each other and it all stays friendly is a pretty positive sign. Eli just isn't one to smile too often.

• Love 1

I wondered about this. Surely that was intentional right? I mean the producers had to have told Manning that they would be recording him for the MVP introduction if for no other reason than to make sure he was available and not in the bathroom or some other inaccessible place and not to be doing anything silly like picking his nose. It just seems a little too convenient that at that exact moment Peyton was sitting in the corner by himself drinking gaterade.

Brady wasnt the only one who didnt stop and stand at the circle. It was particularly obvious with Joe Flacco as weel. They both looked like they would have rather been getting a root canal than to be there.

I think most of the later Super Bowl MVPs walked past the circle.  I didn't think much of it.

ESPN has done whatever they can to rehabilitate Murderin' Ray's career so it's not surprising that time has dulled the vitriol against him.

Trust me, the booing from my couch was the loudest for Ray.

But Brady is currently playing so it makes sense that Denver fans are going to rain boos down on his carefully styled head.

• Love 2

The crowd also booed Ray Lewis, and I kind of feel once you boo a(n alleged) murderer, its kinda silly to boo a player you just don't like very much. The space between being a maybe cheater and a maybe murderer is pretty big and while I don't love Brady, it had to suck to get louder jeers than Ray Lewis. I wouldn't want to be out there either considering.

Not defending Ray Lewis, just clarifying: wasn't he charged with helping to cover up a murder that one of his friends committed? And not that he was the actual murderer? 

I give Cam a pass. Of course the media won't. They live for this stuff. HA!

Anyway, he's very young.

Cam Newton is 26 years old, almost 27.   That does not qualify as 'very young.'  Especially for a professional athlete.  One, he's presumably won and loss dozens of times since he started playing football.  He should know how to act by now.  Second, he doesn't have that many years left to play football.  Does he go straight from very young to over the hill?

• Love 1

Not defending Ray Lewis, just clarifying: wasn't he charged with helping to cover up a murder that one of his friends committed? And not that he was the actual murderer?

No--the Wikipedia article has a better concise summary, but essentially Lewis and two other guys were charged with murder and then Lewis plea bargained down to obstruction of justice in exchange for his testimony against the other guys. It's always been pretty clear imo that he paid off the other two guys to keep their mouths closed and take the fall for him. They were not found guilty, largely because the clothing they all wore that night magically disappeared somehow, but Lewis settled with the the families of the two murdered men in lieu of civil suits, so, you know.

I think most of the later Super Bowl MVPs walked past the circle. I didn't think much of it.

Its not really so much about stopping at the circle. Some of the older guys didnt stop at the circle but you could tell they were thoroughly enjoying the moment, waving to the crowd, smiling, pumping their fist, just taking everything in.

As soon as Brady and Flacco came out of the tunnel they practically ran to the bleachers. Brady just looked straight uncomfortable....no doubt because of the strong boos. I missed Ray coming out so I cant compare, but the boos for Brady were loud and clear. And considering that was supposed to be a neutral site, I cant imagine most of the booing was simply from Broncos fans ripping Brady because of the teams rivalry.