Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Off The Radar

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Fallout from a risky stunt finds Kate determined to make Rocky atone for her mistake. Meanwhile, Connie receives awful news, jeopardizing her future on the boat, and Kate and Leon clash over the final dinner for their charter guests.

Rocky is just too animated and immature for my liking. She's too immature to be respectful of authority. She's a spoiled brat that needs to grow up. Rocky is very cute and has great hair and eyes but her giggly, silly demeanor is just a turnoff. I still like Kate. I think she knows how to manage people pretty well. Don is a knucklehead, I can't stand him or his type. Too much testosterone and he has a chip on his shoulder.

• Love 13

Rocky is just too animated and immature for my liking. She's too immature to be respectful of authority. She's a spoiled brat that needs to grow up. Rocky is very cute and has great hair and eyes but her giggly, silly demeanor is just a turnoff. I still like Kate. I think she knows how to manage people pretty well. Don is a knucklehead, I can't stand him or his type. Too much testosterone and he has a chip on his shoulder.

Rocky reminds me of someone who could be considered manic, or she is just acting that way.  Either way, she is extremely annoying, mostly because she knows exactly how to play to the camera, knows that she looks great on film, and is using that to her advantage.

She's like a grown up, amped up over-acting Shirley Temple.

I am really thinking that either she or meathead Don (who I think is mixing steroids into that raw egg cocktail) will be getting the one way plane ticket.

i like kate, she's better than the one on season one .  can't remember her name but she was a real b

Are you thinking of Adrienne?  She was a bitch and then came back last season as a "guest of a guest" and really acted like one.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 6

Unpopular opinion but I don't hate Rocky. At least not yet. I missed last weeks episode.

Kate definitely had fillers around the mouth area. Which help because her face doesn't appear as gaunt. I also like her hair with the long layers. Softens her face. I like Kate for the most part but she thinks too highly of herself. She can be a bitch.

So far, I'm bored. But I bet ten bucks that the chef will be ousted and Ben will swoop in and save the day.

Edited by turbogirlnyc
  • Love 3

It's possible there's friction we're not seeing from them sharing quarters.

I was howling when they showed that inset of Captain Lee telling Emile to figure out a way not to go panting after Rocky. He was like Jiminy Cricket on Emile's shoulder! At least the kid did actually take the advice to heart; there's hope for him yet.

I'm pretty sure Don will be the first one to get the heave-ho. Rocky and Emile may have taken a stupid risk, but Don was talking back to Captain Lee in the process making a mistake that could have cost big bucks and maybe damaged the captain's reputation at that port. Between that and his general all-to-obvious problem with authority, I don't see him sticking around. (What do you want to bet it completely went over his head that he and Emile were being shown up on the job by someone who was dealing with the news of her father's death and still managing to maintain a good work attitude and ethic?)

• Love 6

Kinda meh episode.  It was a little slow.

Rocky is just all sorts of annoying. 

I'm beginning to like Connie.  It probably was a lot more emotionally hard for her than she let us see.  The rest of the newbees, I'm just not feeling them.  Don, you want to be recognized as the second engineer.  Well, you should know docking skills. 

I know many don't like Kate but I enjoy her and accept her for the way she is.  Love most of her TH's.  And what can I say, Eddie is the best.

Oh God, that guy from the first two seasons is back next week.

• Love 7

I was howling when they showed that inset of Captain Lee telling Emile to figure out a way not to go panting after Rocky. He was like Jiminy Cricket on Emile's shoulder! At least the kid did actually take the advice to heart; there's hope for him yet.

I laughed at that as well! I was glad that he took Captain Lee's advice. I like Emile when he is being a deckhand and not flirting with the various women on the ship. At least he seems respectful to Eddie unlike Don.

I have enjoyed the two episodes and this season thus far. So far I do not mind Connie, and Leon seems to be putting out great food without timing issues, but he does not have much personality. I liked Kate, Eddie, and Amy last season and continue to do so. I do not miss Kat at all and am actually fine without Ben.

Rocky and Don are my only problems. They both do not seem to like authority and both do not seem to like the jobs they were hired to do. I do feel like Kate is trying to help Rocky learn her job, but Rocky seems irritated at it all. I think that if Kate gave Rocky a list she would have to be extremely detailed, because I think Rocky would forget some of the little details that Kate and Amy seem to excel at.

• Love 4

Are you thinking of Adrienne? She was a bitch and then came back last season as a "guest of a guest" and really acted like one.

Dang, I thought for a second it was Sam, the rocket solver. But you're right.

And ditto on the floating Captain Lee head. Loved that! They should add it to some of the housewives shows.

I don't mind Connie.

And I thought Eros-Smith, as a pun, was kinda clever. Not floating head Captain Lee-level funny, but still.

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 5

Absolutely incredible that Emile tucked it back in his pants and went to bed.  A Below Deck first.

I'm still anti-Kate.  Complaining about her $1100 tip, unwilling to maintain her half of the teeny-tiny shared bathroom, throwing unsupported shade on Leon to the captain.  And I think she couldn't be more pleased that ditzy Rocky Raquel has given her an excuse for "punishment."

Kate's just a sour person.

Eddie and Don sharing a cabin must have been difficult, if the friction on the show is authentic.  Well, now Don can kvetch about how he should be in the Engine Room and Kate can respond that she should really be in the Master.

I like Connie well enough and her father situation is sad.  I keep remembering, however, that killing alligators is one of her favorite activities.

• Love 8

Rocky and Don need to go.  It isn't fun to watch them rage against the machine.  

The fact that guests seemed to have a great time, rolled with the punches, and just enjoyed the hell out of their vacation made them fun for me to watch.  They didn't seem overly demanding and besides the foam party didn't have a lot of requests that created extra work.

Edited by yourmomiseasy
  • Love 5

I like Kate for the most part but she thinks too highly of herself.

Very true. It's clear she's a good stew, but her self-regard and aspirations are skewed - she's essentially a glorified waitress and a maid.

Amy handles the obnoxious guests so well. She is always gracious and never loses her cool, even when a drunken idiot is breathing toxic fumes in her face and trying to paw at her.

What's with Rocky constantly looking up during her interviews? It's as if she's watching a bird flying around in circles.

It's very bizarre. She rarely looks the camera in the lens, or at the interviewer. It's like she's looking for flying insects, or something. Plus she's jumpy as hell. Hmmm.....

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 7

Rocky's odd head shot angles where we get to look up her nostrils while she talks, mugs and looks wide eyed into the camera reminds me of Toni Collette's mannerisms in Muriel's Wedding.

Faux happiness and exuberance to cover up massive insecurities from failed dreams.

The editors of the show are torn-a little Rocky goes a long way and she is too "on" all the time has already turned the viewers against her.

That and the fact she moans incessantly about doing maid work.

Rocky was under the false impression she was there for her personality not her cleaning skills.

Don, reinacting the egg drinking scene from Rocky I, is another ego gone wild.

He punched his plane ticket by not obeying orders to give slack the Captain ordered in the docking fiasco.

Another hire that can't stop bitchin' about doing the job  he was hired for.

His contempt for Eddie will not be tolerated by BelowDeck fans.

Buh-bye, Don.

• Love 2
Complaining about her $1100 tip,

I thought she actually had some merit to complain.  The crew did a good job with a complete drunkard on board.  That sounds, based on last season, like that was on the low side of what they could have expected.  

As the Captain said, it wasn't the crew's best outing, but they are all learning to work together in this first one and there are kinks to be worked out, but there were no apparent break-downs in front of the guests and that is prime.

• Love 4

I kind of like Rocky. She is a bit over-the-top, but I don't get malicious from her. Just immaturity. What part of the boat is the 'radar'? I tuned in late and only caught when she was reprimanded by the captain.

I want to like Kate because she seems very serious about her work, but I don't get why she has an issue with the cook. I can only assume that she hates that they share close quarters. I think she mentioned earlier that it wasn't a normal arrangement. An $1100 tip sounds pretty low for the amount of work Kate put into those guests. Drunk, obnoxious guest who insists on an impromptu foam party? Yeah, I think she was owed more.

I don't know how Amy does it. She is very professional when she has to discourage drunk male guests from pawing at her. Last season, I remember a crew remember having an issue with a guest who kept saying she had great breasts. So rude.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 3

It's funny to contrast Amy keeping her cool and smiling when guests crossed boundaries to Leon looking like he wanted to punch the guest who was hugging him on the beach. (Luckily, everyone was too liquored up to notice little things like expressions of disgust...)

I do have to say that the charter guests were very upbeat and appreciative of everything, they rolled with surprises like weather problems, Mexican spaghetti, and the Aerosmith bait-and-switch without ever complaining. Amy in her moustache and sombrero being urged to kiss the guest was the only time I thought they got out of line. With that much booze flowing another group could have quickly turned into hostile assholes.

• Love 8

What's with Rocky constantly looking up during her interviews? It's as if she's watching a bird flying around in circles.

It's very bizarre. She rarely looks the camera in the lens, or at the interviewer. It's like she's looking for flying insects, or something.

Is she trying to impersonate Stevie Wonder?

-I'll show myself out now-

• Love 1

I think that is a well-practiced look that she has perfected in the mirror or in her "totes adorbs" selfies!!  

Like Amy, I had to give props to that charter guest for trying to get Eddie into a threeway. I'd have made the offer in that situation too on the off chance he might be interested.

Was that the lead passenger's girlfriend?  I don't know - they seemed kind of kinky - wasn't she the one that the lead passenger was saying "Pee, pee, pee - ahhhh" to, behind closed doors, in the last episode (when Rocky/Raquel was listening outside the door)?  

Forget a threeway - I'd want him all to myself!    ;-)

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 2

I think that is a well-practiced look that she has perfected in the mirror or in her "totes adorbs" selfies!!  

No kidding.  Rocky is not as cute as she thinks she is.  If she's irritating for us to watch, imagine what living with that in reeeeaaaalllly close quarters would be like.  Just no.

• Love 6

I understand for the purpose of the show/drama why they'd keep serving alcohol to the guests, but you'd think there would be some kind of limit with that. They just kept serving them nothing but alcohol all day, every day. What if one of them got so drunk they fell overboard or something?

• Love 2

Each season, Bravo picks stews and deck hands that don't like authority. Sam and C.J. anyone? I think cast members like Rocky are intentionally thrown in there. It's all part of the Below Deck formula.

I'd take Rocky over Sam any day of the week. She's not smug, just hyper.

• Love 5

I don't get why Kate doesn't like Leon. Maybe because he's not kissing her ass. I don't remember if the douchebag chef from last season kissed her ass though. I can't remember his name but I think he was British.

Ben.

Ben didn't kiss her ass. He's just super cool.

Edited by turbogirlnyc
  • Love 2

Does anyone know what the real compensation plan for a private yacht crew is?  Kate or Eddie, cannot possibly be rewarded at the same level as Emile or Rocky.  For Connie to put $1100 in her pocket for 4 or 5 days seems a bit generous, so I wonder how authentic that is.  Also were the engineer and others not on camera, cut out of the tip?

Kate's forehead is frozen in time.

I'm sure the salaries are different to reflect their responsibilities and status, but it seems like splitting the tips evenly among the crew would be the way to go to avoid accusations of favoritism and such. They divided the tips 12 ways, and there are 9 cast members plus Captain Lee and the first mate and engineer who aren't featured. (I wonder if there's a third non-cast member of the crew, as it seems odd for the captain to take a tip share.)

I don't know that Kate or Leon are either necessarily to blame for not getting along. They both seem to be pretty blunt, businesslike people who take pride in their work and don't engage in a lot of social niceties outside those required by their jobs, and those jobs apparently cause conflicts with expectations and allocations of time/resources. In that situation someone like Amy, Connie, or Eddie would make jokes, goof around, and dispel the tension, whereas with neither of them being a peacemaker they just continue grating on each other's nerves.

Captain Lee explained in the first episode that they all share the tip. I'm sure individual salaries are different.

I keep thinking Kate doesn't like Leon because of his attitude when they first met. No hello, how are you, nice to meet you, he just started asking if she's a slob that leaves junk everywhere and all other sorts of questions. He was incredibly high maintenance and invasive for just meeting someone for the first time.

• Love 4

Captain Lee explained in the first episode that they all share the tip. I'm sure individual salaries are different.

I keep thinking Kate doesn't like Leon because of his attitude when they first met. No hello, how are you, nice to meet you, he just started asking if she's a slob that leaves junk everywhere and all other sorts of questions. He was incredibly high maintenance and invasive for just meeting someone for the first time.

Yep, Captain also gets a tip share. They would normally have various wages but I doubt they get that for the show. I would bet they all get some appearance fee in addition to the tips instead of the standard yacht crew wages while filming the show.

I also agree that Kate was probably turned off to him based on how Leon first "introduced" himself to her. I don't think he minds not sharing a room with her at all though. Leon is ok but I want Ben back.

I can't decide who is more annoying between Don and Rocky, they both are just such archetypes of the kind of person I avoid. Don pretending to hump Eddie was just...is he 12? What an idiot. Every time Don was on my screen I wanted him off. Rocky is "too much" in the worst way possible. Loved Eddie's subtle wtf face when Rocky put her head on his shoulder...wtf indeed. I really hope one or both Rocky and Don are going next week.

Edited by Rebecca

This season doesn't look quite as crazy as I thought! Don and the Chef are dicks, Rocky is what I refer to as a "Cute Trap" She is adorable but look out! Her bio on the bravo website is really interesting. I really enjoy this show, Bravo has been cranking out a bunch of duds so thank gawd for Below Deck!

Edited by freeradical

I came here to ask the same exact thing!  It's odd and somewhat disturbing.  Has anyone given her a drug test?  It's like she's tweaking on something half the time. What an annoying Spazzy McWeirdo.

• Love 5

I've seen girls who make the same huge smiling / looking around face that Rocky does.  From what she said, her mom was a champion surfer and Rocky was a champion diver (?)  so I'm thinking  Rocky has been used to a LOT of attention all her life.  I'm sure she was a very cute and precocious young girl hanging out on the beaches of Hawaii.  Why wouldn't she be the cute star of this show?  (in her mind and experience)  I'm sure a little Rocky goes a loooong way in a tight space. 

So far I'm really liking this season!  There's no one I can't stand... yet.  I'm not thrilled about the old chef Ben coming back.  It was nice to see the new guy with his fabulous meals.  ( Although I'm very surprised the chef didn't just tell the crew he was making Fideo instead of calling it Mexican spaghetti.....  One of my favorite side dishes at true Mexican restaurants, yum!  He acted like he was inventing it right there or something.)  I don't remember Ben being that 'cool'.  He seemed kinda grouchy in my memory of him.  Whatever!  I just want to see the boat and live vicariously through those lucky, lucky guests :)

I don't get why Kate doesn't like Leon. Maybe because he's not kissing her ass. I don't remember if the douchebag chef from last season kissed her ass though. I can't remember his name but I think he was British.

Ben. And I think Kate has a crush on him so he got away with more/his flaws were more forgivable.

I think he was weird. He almost purposely was so damn late with everything and sometimes not honor guests requests out of disdain or would scoff at them like he's Rick Bayless. And he had a girlfriend but was sleeping with that girl-the one who was a blackout drunk w/ the Beavis underbite.

Edited by Petunia13
  • Love 2

There was a 3a.m. repeat showing so I watched the tip scene again.  Captain Lee calls $12k "a pretty good tip."   Kate sniffs disdainfully and Amy is cheerful and pleased, fanning herself with the bills.

I do remember a guest in the past left a twenty grand tip, but maybe the charter was longer.  Or better.

This first charter was really pretty crappy.  Jet skiing, fine.  The requested foam party was embarrassingly pathetic, with the guest standing against a plastic tarp while some dude six feet away with a bubble machine blew suds around his ankles.  A rainy/overcast picnic on the beach.  And the grand finale, "Mexican Night," starring paper mustaches and pasta.  Oh, and they got to see Don run by wearing a garbage bag wig and a mop guitar.

The guests seemed pretty amiable.  Maybe just keeping the cocktail glasses filled at all times warranted a five figure tip.

• Love 1

The requested foam party was embarrassingly pathetic, with the guest standing against a plastic tarp while some dude six feet away with a bubble machine blew suds around his ankles

Requesting a foam party is embarrassingly pathetic but it's not the crews fault that the winds were high and only the host decided to participate.

• Love 3
Captain Lee calls $12k "a pretty good tip."

I guess I'm a little confused about the dispensing of the tip then.  If I divide the 12,000 dollars by the 1,100 they each got, I'm coming to 10.9 portions.

Help me with the math......

Oh God, that guy from the first two seasons is back next week.

Why do they keep recycling guests? Is it that difficult to find people that want to be on this show? 

I would really like to know what happened to that nasty peice of work Kat. I wonder if she didn't want to come back or if she wasn't invited back. 

Repeat guests are invited by the producers thinking that the tried and true chemistry between the staff and guests will be camera gold.

Most people don't want cameras in their face when on vacation or too shy about showing hedonistic behaviors.

The first guest loved the camera and let his freak flag fly, but the rest of his party, not so much.

Thinking the other guy who resembled the primary host was his son and he barely cracked a smile or said a word on camera.

• Love 2

Requesting a foam party is embarrassingly pathetic but it's not the crews fault that the winds were high and only the host decided to participate.

Yeah, I have no problem faulting the crew.  High winds, pfft.  Soap bubbles aren't ever going to pile up and stay put on a flat open deck in the middle of the ocean.  Ocean breeze:  a thing.

Apparently there's no place on that whole huge ship that's a little more enclosed and regularly sluiced out with hoses.  The jet ski bay?  The giant hot tub Rocky was paddling around in?

It's the paying guest's prerogative to make a request, even a lame one, but "Foam party" didn't receive much more effort than "Eros-smith."

• Love 1

Getting enclosed spaces on a boat wet and sticky generally isn't a good idea. That party would have been lame even if he was covered head to toe in foam because he was the only one interested in it.

Also demanding that a crew find you areosmith is just as lame and impractical as demanding a foam party.

• Love 2

i like kate, she's better than the one on season one .  can't remember her name but she was a real b

That was Adrienne Gang and I'm with you. That girl was very difficult and demanding but not in a good way. I didn't like Adrienne a bit and for me Kate was a giant step up in this show. She manages well and does it without being confrontational.

• Love 3