Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I love Blazing Saddles, so I got the homage in having a category called the French Mistake. But I think after that game, Alex's accent should be called the French Mistake from now on.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 3

I thought Vietnam was the easiest FJ ever but I guess not.

All I could think of was China, but that seemed too easy with the Dynasty thing and all.  In retrospect, the 'Ho' should've made it obvious (as in Ho Chi Minh) but in the moment it just wasn't there for me.  I did run the poetry category and got all the Mel Brooks questions, so I'm not feeling too bad.

I did not get Emma Lazarus; those poem titles didn't sound like Emily Dickinson, who is the usual go-to American female poet.

The reference to "the Mother of Exiles" just screamed Statue of Liberty to me, and I knew that Emma Lazarus wrote the poem on the Statue, but if that didn't strike a chord, the poem titles meant nothing.

• Love 3

I said screech owl but Alex called it an eastern screech owl so I don't know if it'd be a BMS or not.

Only if it was a Carson screech owl.

I knew it because of a Hardy Boys book - The Clue of the Screeching Owl - where I learned that barn owls screech and screech owls hoot.  The audio clue was definitely a hooting owl, so screech owl was my answer.

• Love 4

I don't know. I still think the champ should have bet nothing. In guess I'm just using 20-20 hindsight. Maybe he felt confident in the category.

My first thought for FJ was China, then I thought Vietnam because of Ho Chi Mien. But then I wondered if the date -- 2011 -- was significant, so I started thinking about the Taliban destroying ancient landmarks and such, so I wondered if it was Afghanistan or somewhere in the middle east. 

I was thinking screech owl, but I expected the sound to be screechier, so I wasn't sure. If only I had had proserpina65's knowledge. :)

I was disappointed I didn't get any right in the Days of the Week/Word category. My mind wouldn't settle on paying attention to the actual clue or going thru the days of the week to see what clicked.  Still, I thought it was a good category.

• Love 4

The bas-relief thing made me laugh so hard, I wound it back 5 times just to hear Alex say yes- BAH RELEEE!!! I live for Alex showing off his French! Someone needs to compile a clip including all of AT's French. 

As for the go-to American Female poet, If it is not Emily Dickinson, it is Emma Lazurus and if not those 2 the answer is Silvia Plath. 

OMG- I found it on Youtube! He needs to ad Baaa releeee to it though!

Edited by operalover
  • Love 2

The bas-relief thing made me laugh so hard, I wound it back 5 times just to hear Alex say yes- BAH RELEEE!!! I live for Alex showing off his French! Someone needs to compile a clip including all of AT's French. 

As for the go-to American Female poet, If it is not Emily Dickinson, it is Emma Lazurus and if not those 2 the answer is Silvia Plath. 

OMG- I found it on Youtube! He needs to ad Baaa releeee to it though!

Lol, you just updated your post.  I was just coming to share.   Watch for one of our favorite quirkers at 0:37.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwHbUBYCJ7o

• Love 1

James Thurber was a TS---sigh.

None of them must have watched Keith Olbermann's old show on MSNBC - he used to read Thurber on the show once a week. 

I was a bit sad that when the contestant answered Young Frankenstein, he didn't say Young Fronkensteen. 

• Love 8

I knew casein, but wasn't surprised no one else did.  Laughlin kind of surprised me as a TS, but then I looked up where each of the contestants are from and was no longer surprised; I've got much more cause to know it in southern CA than they would in points East.

I can't decide if none of them knowing the National Labor Relations Act surprises me; I think I overestimate how much of the New Deal is common knowledge.

Richard Byrd as a TS truly surprised me, though.  I also would have thought someone would get sundries and Thurber.

FJ was an instaget for me, but for no good reason -- I didn't actually know the information in the clue, Vietnam just popped into my mind when I read it (probably because Ho Dynasty translated to  Ho Chi Minh in my brain).

I thought it was silly to have the Eiffel Tower clue as a DD and am irrationally pleased it wound up only being worth $1000.

• Love 1

That adjective category was one of the worst I've seen, and I've seen some bad ones...long, drawn out, overly dramatic, and a complete waste of game time!

FJ seemed so easy, I thought it was Kids Week, then the Air Force guy gets it wrong, and I think "that makes me embarrassed to have served in the same Air Force..." then the champ gets it wrong, and I think "maybe she's a professor at University of Phoenix..."

• Love 6

That was NOT a diving duck.  That was a dabbling duck.  Diving ducks actually dive -- like totally underwater.

I was shouting "Himalayas!" at the TV for the mountain range the geese migrate over.  Titicaca?  Really?

So many other GG, I lost track.

Hated the adjectives category.  Hated the new champ's neverending story.  FJ was easy.

• Love 6

I was confused about FJ because bambino translates better to "child", not newborn. I was searching for a word that could refer only to a newborn that was like a character name, and coming up empty.

I was screaming hemophilia at the TV during the DD, though.

That adjective category took up way too much time.

• Love 4

What a terrible game! An entire category left because of that hideous time wasting soap opera crap.

I don't like the new champ. She gets on my nerves for some reason.

I hate the "new normal" of starting in the middle of categories and jumping all over the board.

I was so aggravated, I didn't even write down the TSs I got.

For FJ, I used my Latin and couldn't come up with a character that incorporated the word infans.

• Love 4

I missed it tonight, too, because of a special one-hour World News Tonight. Sounds like it wasn't a great game! I looked at the mini-recap on thejeopardyfan.com. I saw that AT finally made an announcement about tie-breaker questions.

I'll be curious to see how I will react to Claudia tomorrow. What was her long story about?

• Love 2

You really needed your Italian tonight with the Italian for Cut is tagliare so Tagliatelle and then Bambino=Bambi and also Gnocchi = Italian for dumplings. Bambino does mean "baby" and can also mean child. To me the primary definition is baby though. Child is also fanciulla/fanciullo.

• Love 5

FJ seemed so easy, I thought it was Kids Week, then the Air Force guy gets it wrong, and I think "that makes me embarrassed to have served in the same Air Force..." then the champ gets it wrong, and I think "maybe she's a professor at University of Phoenix..."

I missed tonight's game, but this made me chuckle.

• Love 2

I missed it tonight, too, because of a special one-hour World News Tonight. Sounds like it wasn't a great game! I looked at the mini-recap on thejeopardyfan.com. I saw that AT finally made an announcement about tie-breaker questions.

Thanks for posting this, because I was out and missed it.

No show here tonight due to Brussels. They did run WHEEL at 7:30.

I suppose I am lucky that the local station that shows Jeopardy here (Toronto) won't pre-empt it for anything.

All of the news stations here didn't even know what to do with themselves - they had geared up for a lot of extra news coverage for the much-anticipated federal budget that was released this evening, but then the attacks in Brussels happened, and then Rob Ford died. I felt bad for the news agencies trying to juggle it all - as well as, obviously, the people affected by the latter two events.

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 2

I dozed off during chapter 2 of the new champ's epic College Bowl saga.  Woke up again during chapter 5, then back out for the endnotes.  Did she ever finish, or did someone yank her offstage with a giant hook?

I'm kidding.  I was unfortunately awake for the whole story.

I got Bambi, though.

Unless our station carried some abridged version of tonight's show, Alex didn't really explain the new rule about ties.  He said that the previous champ had exactly twice what's-her-name's total and therefore couldn't lose but felt uneasy about a tie and so bet the minimum.  Except then he didn't mention anything about why someone would feel uneasy about a tie, and not a word about the tie-breaker question.  I don't understand why this rule about play on a TV show, watched by TV watchers, is announced everywhere but on TV.  What's the big secret?

Edited for sleepiness.

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Love 9

Its a little weird that her story went on for so long.  When I did it, they had us practice saying our story so if it went on that long, I would think they probably wouldn't have had her say it or told her to cut some out.  Unless, Alex didn't ask her the top story, he can ask about any of them, we just practice the #1 on the list.

I got FJ as soon as Alex made the comment about Italian for baby.

• Love 3

I have a question: when Alex says "Less than a minute to go" does that count asking of the questions? Yesterday there was a Daily Double which took at least a minute. sometimes he will say that and they will have a long, long video clue. Usually at " a minute to go" you can get another 6-8 questions including long, long questions so I was thinking the minute was "answer time". Does anyone know? Those are some of the longest minutes on record.

• Love 1

Unless our station carried some abridged version of tonight's show, Alex didn't really explain the new rule about ties.  He said that the previous champ had exactly twice what's-her-name's total and therefore couldn't lose but felt uneasy about a tie and so bet the minimum.  Except then he didn't mention anything about why someone would feel uneasy about a tie, and not a word about the tie-breaker question.

No, he didn't really explain it or announce it - just mentioned it rather awkwardly.  I didn't really think the ending of the previous show needed any explanation so I was surprised that he even said all that.

I like the new champ well enough - I don't listen to the interviews but I could see that hers went on a long time.

I also like the adjective category, I thought it was fun, but it really did take up far too much time.

Instaget FJ.  I was amazed that only one of the contestants got it.

• Love 1

Oh, I just remembered a TS that I got -- tagliatelle!  I was shouting that at the TV, too, and rolling my eyes at their GGs.

I forgot that 'tag' had to be in the answer and said fettuccine.  Not sure I'd have remembered tagliatelle; even though I cook Italian a lot, it's not a pasta I've used.

I got most of the stumpers, but will confess to missing Earl Grey.  British prime ministers aren't my best subject, and all the tea part of the clue gave me was Twinings, which I didn't think was correct.

• Love 1

He said that the previous champ had exactly twice what's-her-name's total and therefore couldn't lose but felt uneasy about a tie and so bet the minimum.

I thought Alex said that the previous champ was uneasy about the tiebreaker.  Maybe I mis-heard, but I'm pretty sure that's what he said.

• Love 3

Although the show was preempted here for the special report, my DVR recorded Jeopardy later. I don't know what time that was.

I know Claudia's story was too long, but Alex was rude to point it out. He probably thought he was joking, but it's rude if it makes the other person feel bad.

What is GG? Godawful Guess?

I got hemophilia and was surprised Melissa didn't. I also got diving duck, but after reading Browncoat's post I wonder if they would have accepted dabbling duck.

I hated the Adjective/Young and the Restless category because the clues took way too long. I think I would have liked this category if Alex had simply read the clues, with some modification. 

For FJ my first thought was Winnie the Pooh because I was thinking that "pooh" might be a shortened version of baby in Italian. But then I paused to think of what that Italian word would actually be. That's when I got Bambi. 

• Love 1

But then I paused to think of what that Italian word would actually be. That's when I got Bambi.

That's how I got it, by ignoring the 'character who lives in the forest' part of the clue and focusing on 'baby in Italian'.

• Love 2

I thought Alex said that the previous champ was uneasy about the tiebreaker.  Maybe I mis-heard, but I'm pretty sure that's what he said.

I'm willing to believe that's what he said.  I didn't watch till almost midnight (I had to drive my friend and her dog, who got quilled by a porcupine--the dog, not the friend--to the emergency vet, fifty miles away, just before J! started), so I might have missed the "breaker" part.  But why didn't he take the extra minute to explain the new rule and what the tie-breaker was?  A buzzer question, a coin toss, arm wrestling? Perfect opportunity.  And they had time for the Neverending Story plus all the soap-opera adjectives.  Weird allocation of resources.  In my opinion, obviously.

• Love 4

I am terrible at "Who ruled what when?" type clues, so I was quite surprised to run the "Follow the Leader" category.  That must mean the clues where too easy for DJ.

I also ran the medical matters category, but I almost always do.  If I ever went on the show and got a DD about medical conditions, specialties, etc. I would bet huge.  The clues always seem so simple to me, so I must have some strange well of medical knowledge. 

I got a laugh out of also running the potato category, as I hate potatoes and do not eat them in any form other than French fries cut so thin and cooked so crispy they no longer taste like potato (and then dipped in ranch dressing).  That seemed more like a first-round category.

Come to think of it, I also ran the flag category, tree songs category, potpourri, the one about athletes' final games, and got all but one in most others.  FJ was an instaget.  This was a good game for me!

Titicaca?

• Love 2

According to Jeopardy writers, those seem to be the only 3 who ever played the game or who ever will. It seems like they have a standard 3 for almost every category.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 4

Fifty miles away, Mon--where do you live, the middle of nowhere--poor puppydog. How's he doing? Anyway, I'm sure with you--take up 20 minutes with stupid soap opera people (no,Alex, we don't care about them!), and not one word about the new tiebreaker rule. Which I'd never even known about till someone just mentioned it here. Grrrrhhhh. 

• Love 1

That was one hell of a ballsy wager!  I was practically screaming 'Vancouver' at the tv.  Glad Philip got it at the last second.

When he made that crazy wager and stalled on the answer, I was waiting for him to pull a Cliffy along the lines of, "Who are three people who have never been in my kitchen?".

Fifty miles away, Mon--where do you live, the middle of nowhere--poor puppydog. How's he doing? Anyway, I'm sure with you--take up 20 minutes with stupid soap opera people (no,Alex, we don't care about them!), and not one word about the new tiebreaker rule. Which I'd never even known about till someone just mentioned it here. Grrrrhhhh. 

The middle of nowhere is pretty much it.  From NYC to the Maine woods.  Sweet old doggy is doing fine today, my friend says.  It's very kind of you to ask, Prin.  He's going to try out for the Jeopardy! Senior Dog Tournament once he's all better.

• Love 7

That adjective category was one of the worst I've seen, and I've seen some bad ones...long, drawn out, overly dramatic, and a complete waste of game time!

I didn't get FJ until Alex made his comment, right before the answer was revealed. And, although I went to grad school in AZ, it wasn't at U of P, but the football stadium is really nice.

I wouldn't call an FJ that two contestants missed a Kids' Week level FJ. All three contestants seemed pretty bright to me. All the clues are easy if you know the answers.

Edited by teebax
  • Love 2

Tonight's FJ was a challenge, but Mir was the only thing that came to mind.  I was sure I was way off, too (I'm bad with dates!), so I was pleasantly surprised. Chernobyl didn't even occur to me.

• Love 4

I don't understand why Chernobyl was an obvious answer Alex expected someone to write down in a category about the 21st century. But someone did, so joke's on me, I guess.

Me too then because I totally don't understand why we would anticipate something happening in 2001 that occurred 15 years previously.

You say 2001 and I automatically go to 9/11 so I thought maybe the answer was terrorism.

I liked Jen a lot. Olympics happen in even years, dammit!

I know there is someone here who was going to be very upset if they didn't get to the whole phonetics category.

And we could have gotten to the last clues, ALEX, if we didn't have to have a history lesson about the rings of Saturn.

• Love 4

I missed yesterday's contestant intros at the top of the show, so when Claudia started her interminable story about Agnes Scott vs Emory College Bowl, I thought she's probably another one from Decatur.  WHooo hooooo...Decatur's not that big, but I don't know *any* of the contestants that have come from here.  A woman I work with is a friend of someone who knows Philip Tiu, but that's as much of a Brush With J! Greatness as I get.

I thought Alex's comment to her today about Handel was an amusing tie-in to that epic story from yesterday.

• Love 4

I missed Claudia's long tale yesterday, but she must have taken comments about talking too much to heart--today she said practically nothing. "My husband and I are descendants of Ethelred the Unready. The End." I liked Jen's "ghost story." I was pulling for her, but I wasn't too bothered by Claudia. 

No idea on FJ; I was trying to make a connection with 9/11 but didn't know if Russia was at all involved with "Operation Iraqi Freedom."

I did know Port Arthur, though. The city must not be particularly famous because "Arthur" was in the clue!

• Love 2