Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

It *was* Monroe's last movie. I don't remember the phrasing of the clue but it pinpointed Gable and I was shouting, "Gable, Clark Gable, you f*ckwits!" I, too, ran the Shakespeare category except for Mab. And I, too, knew possum and Frankie & Johnny. As for the short duration of the Pony Express, I researched it for a novel I wrote (my heroine rides for the PE disguised as a boy).

I forgot about Mab, but immediately knew "Frankie & Johnny", and I missed the Pony Express because I was hung up on the date being close to the Civil War, and the enterprise having a short duration, and was convinced it had something to do with the Confederacy.

(There was a character in the short-lived TV series "The Young Riders" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096732/ who did just that)

As for Lake Itasca, I knew what they wanted but wasn't quite sure how to spell or pronounce it.  I kept thinking, "Lake Iticaca....no, that's not it!"  Apparently conflating it with Lake Titicaca.

IIRC Alex mispronounced it slightly, whereas we'd always pronounced it like "itemize" with the emphasis on the long "I" at the beginning. Strangely, Ithaca was one of the colleges I checked out when the time came, as I wanted to leave Minnesota.

• Love 1

And Space Mountain?  Really?  UNICEF = children = It's A Small World. Instaget for me.

I know!  How did two of them think Space Mountain was the answer - though at least Zach changed it. But still.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

It's been a while since I've been to Disneyland, but it had Space Mountain when I was last there. Nevertheless, that was a dumb guess. My sister and I said "It's a Small World" simultaneously.

Oops, I was not clear, I meant the first Space Mountain opened in Disneyworld 10 years after the date in the clue :) There are more now, I think every park has one.

I was watching Double Dare from the '70's on BUZZR, hosted by Alex Trebek, and one of the clues there for The Pony Express was that it only lasted 19 months. That's how I got it :)

• Love 4

I was watching Double Dare from the '70's on BUZZR, hosted by Alex Trebek, and one of the clues there for The Pony Express was that it only lasted 19 months

Funny, we were watching the Buzzr channel too, this weekend, and marvelled at Alex's youth and massive hair :) 

However, one can see how that particular show did not become a classic. 

• Love 5

They didn't finish the baseball category.  *grumble*

Jeopardy! contestants should know Bartleby.

I like TJ, but did not like his habit of looking askance at Liz when she would ring in first.

I did not get FJ until way too late.

• Love 4

A Bachelors in anthropology and I have never heard Maori pronounced that way. Alex was saying it like the last name of Tia and Tamera Mowry, while every prof I've ever had has said may-YOH-ree.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

A Bachelors in anthropology and I have never heard Maori pronounced that way. Alex was saying it like the last name of Tia and Tamera Mowry, while every prof I've ever had has said may-YOH-ree.

I had always heard may-YOH-ree too, but apparently not:

• Love 2
Just now, secnarf said:

I had always heard may-YOH-ree too, but apparently not:

Yeah I just googled it too! Apparently my professors were all wrong. I just found it interesting...never thought Alex's pronunciations would teach me anything ;)

• Love 4

The new champ is okay.  I liked Liz but she lost me when she said Cromwell instead of William the Conqueror even with being spotted 1066 in the clue.

It was a pretty good game overall with not too many ts's.  I got Jade and Rhine.

I've always heard Maori pronounced as AT said it.  But I also googled it:)

Abraham Lincoln?

Julie's guess of Andrew Jackson was even worse.

Instaget FJ, although I did wonder a bit if it was Joseph Smith, but not enough to change my mind.

• Love 5

Pretty good game.  TJ seems okay.  Cromwell in 1066?  I don't think so, Liz.

I don't think they should have accepted jeans for that pants clue.  I've heard stretch pants a lot.  Stretch jeans?  Not so much.

I got The Rhine and United Flight 93.

I got FJ, but just in time.  My initial guess of the Easter Bunny wasn't any worse than Lincoln or Jackson.

• Love 5

My all time favorite work by Herman Melville is Bartleby the Scrivner.  I work "I prefer not" into all sorts of conversations and smile inside.  I was heartbroken that it was a TS.  That being said, I wouldn't have come up with Brigham Young in a month of Sundays.  

• Love 8

I finally remembered to DVR the game tonight!  I nearly always have another thing on Tuesdays so rarely get to watch live, and usually forget to record.

That said, I got scarlet fever (the response, not the disease!), Rhine, Flight 93 and of course Bartleby.  Bartleby the Scrivener is one of my favorite stories, and I also will regularly say, "I prefer not to." when asked to do something unpleasant.  For the stretch, etc. clue, I said mark, so I was glad Alex said they would have accepted that as well.  Whale Rider was on the tip of my tongue, but I just couldn't spit it out.

I completely blanked on FJ.

• Love 5

I don't think they should have accepted jeans for that pants clue.  I've heard stretch pants a lot.  Stretch jeans?  Not so much.

You must not be fat girl. Plus size jeans almost ALWAYS have spandex in them.  I'd never heard of Ditto Pants, so I was going all the way with "marks."

• Love 10

I'd been watching "Hell On Wheels" on AMC and was used to Young as a character, and he still didn't occur to me for FJ. Darn the Supremes for making marriage NOT about procreation! Flight 93 was easy, as was the Rhine, since it's almost always THE German river. The new champ didn't win by enough for me to attach myself.

• Love 4

Even though I'd never heard of "ditto jeans" I guessed jeans for that clue. No way they should have accepted jeans for pants.

Not a great game for me. I had no clue on FJ, but I did get the Captain & Tennille TS LOL

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

You must not be fat girl. Plus size jeans almost ALWAYS have spandex in them.  I'd never heard of Ditto Pants, so I was going all the way with "marks."

Oh, honey, I live in stretchy jeans.  I just never think of them as a thing like "stretch pants" which brings to mind visions of lime green polyester.  ;-)

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Even though I'd never heard of "ditto jeans" I guessed jeans for that clue. No way they should have accepted jeans for pants.

Not a great game for me. I had no clue on FJ, but I did get the Captain & Tennille TS LOL

I guessed Brittney Spears for that!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I'm a PhD candidate in anthropology and only remember hearing it the way Alex pronounced it. Perhaps it's a word with an evolving pronunciation? Whale Rider is a good movie, and I was sad it was a TS. 

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, Pallida said:

I'm a PhD candidate in anthropology and only remember hearing it the way Alex pronounced it. Perhaps it's a word with an evolving pronunciation? Whale Rider is a good movie, and I was sad it was a TS. 

I got my pronunciation from a New Zealand TV show "The Almighty Johnsons" - which had Maori actors for an arc. They pronounced the word the way Alex did. NZ pronunciations in general are pretty fun - though I needed closed captioning sometimes.

I was very pleased with myself when I reasoned out FJ.

4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I was thinking "something Whale, Whale, what is that called? Man she's annoying on Game of Thrones, nope, I can't remember the name of that movie."

Indeed she is - but she was fun in the aforementioned "The Almighty Johnsons."

• Love 5

Sorry to see Liz go. It was funny when TJ said 'applesauce.'

I said jeans instead of pants. I'm old enough to remember Dittos, but I'm remembering them as jeans. I think the only TS I got was Whale Rider. Seems like there might have been another, but I can't recall now.

1 hour ago, Grundoon59 said:

My all time favorite work by Herman Melville is Bartleby the Scrivner.  I work "I prefer not" into all sorts of conversations and smile inside.  I was heartbroken that it was a TS.   

I couldn't quite remember this. I was saying, "Barneby... something?" Argh!

8 minutes ago, clanstarling said:

I was very pleased with myself when I reasoned out FJ.

I didn't get FJ, but when the answer was revealed, I was thinking I should have figured it out. The Mormon church is known for their geneology files or whatever.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I was thinking "something Whale, Whale, what is that called? Man she's annoying on Game of Thrones, nope, I can't remember the name of that movie."

I am terrible at keeping up with actors and their roles.  I knew she looked familiar.  Thanks!

• Love 1
(edited)

Add me in with those a bit sad Whale Rider was a TS.  I also got jade in that category, but I don't care so much about that one, heh.

The Captain & Tennille TS surprised me.  Bartleby, too; none of the three goes around saying "I would prefer not to" like several of us here?  Also scarlet fever, with red in the clue. 

I knew change-up, but that one didn't surprise me (same with ground game); balk did, however.  And the Rhine?  Not a single one of them guessed the German river pretty much everyone knows and is the answer probably 75% of the time J! asks about a German river?

The Flight 93 Memorial was a stunning TS, so I can only assume they weren't sure what its proper name was and didn't want to guess wrong.

Define LOL, really?  What year is this?

For FJ, I knew it had to be a Mormon, which in my vast repository of religious figures meant Joseph Smith or Brigham Young.  I guessed correctly.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

I knew change-up, but that one didn't surprise me (same with ground game); balk did, however. 

I was thinking balk, but I didn't think the clue's description of it fit. I always think of a balk as a kind of fake-out from the pitcher. 

• Love 3

The Flight 93 Memorial was a stunning TS, so I can only assume they weren't sure what its proper name was and didn't want to guess wrong.

Yeah, I was a bit confused since I think of it as a 9/11 Memorial which couldn't be the answer since 9/11 was in the clue.

Abraham Lincoln??? How many kids did they think Robert Lincoln had since he was the only child to live past adulthood.  I think I would have gotten the FJ anyway but honestly, they all probably need to see The Book of Mormon ASAP.

• Love 3

Too bad you didn't post just one more, peeayebee.  Then we could've said you'd hit for the cycle!

In a classic case of overthinking things, I had to choose among scarlet fever, rubella, and roseola, because . . . word roots.  I dithered so long I would've timed out.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I was saying out loud, "Flight 90... two? three?" I just couldn't come up with it, and I'm guessing that's what the contestants were thinking as well.

The $1000 potpourri question was very weird. "High-water, stretch & ditto are kinds of this" -- I am 99% sure the INTENDED answer was "marks," and I'll bet there was a pause while the judges considered the "jeans" response. It was a poorly written question. Maybe the writer had never heard of Dittos.

• Love 4

Interesting. Apparently you're the first here to say the answer was supposed to be 'marks,' which certainly makes more sense than pants/jeans. I thought Ditto (as in jeans) was pretty obscure. P.S.... They're still around?

4 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Too bad you didn't post just one more, peeayebee.  Then we could've said you'd hit for the cycle!

Has anyone ever heard that phrase before? 

• Love 4

I have!

It's a common term in baseball.  But a very uncommon occurrence.  It was the first question in last night's baseball category.  It's when one player hits a single, a double, a triple, and a home run in one game.  I promise I wasn't saying anything negative--just the opposite!

• Love 5
(edited)

Come on Christie, sure Nimitz was a famous admiral, but Rickover was the father of the nuclear sub program.

I said Nimitz because he was the only American 20th Century admiral whose name I could remember.  Rickover sounded familiar when the answer was revealed, but I would never have gotten it.

I missed Monday's game because I forgot it was Monday.  Damn you, holiday weekend!  (Okay, not really, I love holiday weekends.)  Upon checking, I discovered that I would've gotten FJ, and now have that horrible song stuck in my head.

I got a lot of the TSs from last night but could not come up with the FJ.  I forget who I said, but even given my math stupidity, I knew it couldn't be Lincoln (who died in 1865) or Jackson (who died much earlier).

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

I missed Monday's game because I forgot it was Monday.  Damn you, holiday weekend!  (Okay, not really, I love holiday weekends.)

I did the same thing, so I just read the clues on the archive.  The Potemkin TS surprised me, with fake villages in the clue.  The Clark Gable TS surprised me, too.  I happened to know The Misfits was his final film, but with Gone With the Wind in the clue, I figured someone could figure it out!

I did good with the TS; I also knew Frankie & Johnny, opossum, liquor picker, partisan artisan, and Lake Itasca.

I came up with FJ (and now have that damn song stuck in my head), and am trying to figure out what in the clue pointed two of the contestants to Space Mountain.  My thought process went UNICEF = kids, popular kids' ride = It's a Small World.

• Love 2

Just from the intro I can't stand Matt.  Slicked back hair, hyphenated last name, and he's already rocking side to side.  I hope he epically fails.

• Love 9

Watching today's show, all I could think about was how much the previously.tv crowd was going to hate  Matt with his swaying and blatant DD hunting.  The man is fast on the buzzer and has broad knowledge - gotta give him that.

FJ was quite easy if you saw the movie Amadeus.

• Love 13
(edited)

Emily is my spirit animal because I also have made a pilgrimage to Bangor to see Stephen King's house and saw other places related to him.  Also, I have a Stephen King tattoo.  I am not a stalker!

I'm halfway through the Jeopardy! round and I am beyond over Matt.

I knew 1984 meant "Amadeus" but I've never seen it so FJ was a big question mark.  I do love that song though.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5

Of COURSE Matt won, dammit.  If he were my investment banker, I'd have to fire him.  Unfortunately, I suspect he'll be around for a while.

TS I was surprised by, but that I got include thighs and legs, burpee (I have hated those for decades!), eel, LTD, samovar, and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (I still want my time back from seeing that one).

FJ was an instaget for me, just from the category and first bit of the clue about a movie in 1984.

• Love 2

The swaying was awful and distracting to watch - I guess it didn't distract Matt himself though. I thought he looks like Matt Damon. He has a very nice smile.

In the Botany category I said carnation instead of pink.  Would I be ruled correct or is a carnation just a member of the pink family.

Of course I ran the Canadian Prime Ministers - I would have been most embarrassed if I had not:)  Nearly ran the three letter words category but missed eel.

My only ts's were LTD and Samovar.

It took a couple of seconds to get FJ but it popped up pretty quickly.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Interesting. Apparently you're the first here to say the answer was supposed to be 'marks,' which certainly makes more sense than pants/jeans. I thought Ditto (as in jeans) was pretty obscure. P.S.... They're still around?

Has anyone ever heard that phrase before? 

I said jeans (I remember Dittos as jeans, but nothing else). But 'marks' does fit the question better.

Only when my husband said it for the answer.  He's a baseball guy. The one game I went to as an adult, I crossed my fingers for every batter to strike out so the game would be over.

• Love 2

Not only did Matt's swaying irk me but he relied on the conversational crabgrass of "you know" in his interview....five in just that short little talk. And I could have given his generic interview that American companies are looking to invest in, you know, Latin America because, you know, of the goods and services, you know. 

• Love 12

I cannot even with Matt the Gordon Gekko throwback. I hope he was somehow able to see a tape of this before the next game so he could see and stop the swaying. He was so annoying I can't remember the TS I got other than LTD and eel...

Drew a total blank on FJ which is sad because I loved the film Amadeus.

• Love 9

Why do these asshats insist on swaying?  AARRGGHH!  I hated Matt instantly.  Hideous Gordon Gekko/Wolf of Wall Street hair, hunting for DD's, starting his interview with, "Right, so, um" and that damned swaying.  I was hoping TJ and Emily would beat him to death with their buzzers during a break.  

I got legs and thighs, ltd and Landcruiser.

Took me a second but I came up with FJ.

• Love 6

Matt looks like the villain in  a 80s teen movie.  I was only half watching during the the interview portion is he really a investment banker? Did he become one try to dress like every cliche of investment banker? 

• Love 13
33 minutes ago, Trey said:

The swaying was awful and distracting to watch - I guess it didn't distract Matt himself though. I thought he looks like Matt Damon. He has a very nice smile.

It took me a while but I finally figured out that he looks like Matt Damon, Heath Ledger, and Chris Hemsworth had a baby :)

• Love 4

Didn't the clue have "LTD" in it?  And they couldn't come up with Limited?

When Alex said the "three letter words with two vowels" category, he said "only" two vowels.  How many words do you know that are three letters and all vowels?  That amused me.

• Love 12