Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I fell asleep during the Jeopardy round, missed most of it and all of DJ, but I woke up in time to answer "Vladivostok" for FJ.  I knew it was correct, but I probably would've said it anyway because I just really like saying "Vladivostok" for some reason.  Kind of like how I love saying "umlaut" and "Bundesliga"; yeah, I'm weird.

• Love 4
On 2016-07-08 at 11:42 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

AT and Bonnie pronounced toque as 'toke', rhyming with coke -- who calls it a toke ?

I thought the exact same thing!! I've never ever heard it pronounced like that before, so I looked it up and apparently it is a valid pronunciation. "Tuque" is also a valid spelling for the other pronunciation, which is apparently more of a Canadian pronunciation than an American one.

• Love 1
(edited)

Tuque, rhymes with kook. I've never heard toque pronounced to rhyme with coke.  One toque over the line.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

It would be interesting to know the regional breakdown of those who pronounce toque (toke) and toque (rhymes with kook). One of the things I love about Jeopardy (and this forum) is that I learn something new every day.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I fell asleep during the Jeopardy round, missed most of it and all of DJ, but I woke up in time to answer "Vladivostok" for FJ.  I knew it was correct, but I probably would've said it anyway because I just really like saying "Vladivostok" for some reason.  Kind of like how I love saying "umlaut" and "Bundesliga"; yeah, I'm weird.

Vladivostok is fun to say! I have words I love to say too. Alas, they are not on the tip of my tongue at the moment- but I'm right there with you in weirdness.

• Love 2

Goodbye to Pam.  She was really up and down but at least she made it not a runaway..Too bad she didn't bet it all on FJ although it might not have made a difference - I didn't do the math.  Congratulations to Justin on a good win.  It was an interesting game. I liked the lady on the end too.

My only ts was Burma Road; I also got the missed DD of the Aeneid.

I got FJ with probably enough time to write it down. It certainly wasn't an instaget.

• Love 2

Of the three, I liked Katie best.  Justin drove me nuts with picking higher value clues first, and Pam was about the same as she was Friday. 

The only TS I remember getting was Kafka. 

And I got a phone call just as the FJ clue was revealed -- I like to think I would have gotten it, though!

• Love 4

What was the clue that Pam started to answer "Guy F...." As in Guy Fawkes, but she stopped herself when she knew it was wrong. I thought she was going to say Guy Fieri. The answer was Benedict Arnold. Just for making me think Guy Fieri, I was glad she lost.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I've only ever heard it pronounced "toke".

As did/does my ex-husband (a chef), my FIL (a chef born, raised and trained in Paris) and my niece and nephew (both chefs).

The only one I liked was Katie.  She started at the top, didn't jump around hunting for DD's and didn't make weird noises/comments after incorrect answers (I'm looking at you, Pam).  She seemed smart, too, but slow on the buzzer.  Jason's okay but I dislike his DD-hunting, starting at the bottom playing strategy.

I wonder if they would have accepted Carson's Chinese Theater?  According to my Google search, it's known as Grauman's (my answer) Chinese Theater, TCL Chinese Theater or just Chinese Theater.  Apparently, Mann's wasn't popular.

I got John Wayne, The Aeneid, California and Interstate 80.

Clueless on FJ.  I blame an early glass of wine and the fact I'm no Shakespeare scholar.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

As did/does my ex-husband (a chef), my FIL (a chef born, raised and trained in Paris) and my niece and nephew (both chefs).

The only one I liked was Katie.  She started at the top, didn't jump around hunting for DD's and didn't make weird noises/comments after incorrect answers (I'm looking at you, Pam).  She seemed smart, too, but slow on the buzzer.  Jason's okay but I dislike his DD-hunting, starting at the bottom playing strategy.

Cosign all of the above re the contestants.  And I want to be at your house for Thanksgiving, please?  Assuming that the exes are still welcome, obviously.

I figured that just knowing titles of popular Shakespeare plays, even without actually knowing the plays themselves, the answer would come instantly from the clue.  But maybe not.

19 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

What was the clue that Pam started to answer "Guy F...." As in Guy Fawkes, but she stopped herself when she knew it was wrong. I thought she was going to say Guy Fieri. The answer was Benedict Arnold. Just for making me think Guy Fieri, I was glad she lost.

I thought she was going to say Guy Fawkes, but now I can't remember what the clue was.  Something about burning something down and a conspiracy.  I didn't know the right answer.

Guy Fieri would've been awesome, though.

• Love 1

@Mondrianyone - Ex FIL passed away, haven't seen the ex for 35 years (I was obviously a child bride - hahaha) and niece and nephew live out of state.  But I'm an awesome cook, if I do say so myself, so come on over!

27 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Unpopular opinion: I HATE SHAKESPEARE AND ALL HIS DAMN CATEGORIES.

+1,000!

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Unpopular opinion: I HATE SHAKESPEARE AND ALL HIS DAMN CATEGORIES.

I think that's going to prove to be a popular opinion.  As soon as I saw the FJ category, I knew I was done.

• Love 4

Shakespeare's unpopularity may be more popular than I thought! I'm just SICK of seeing a damn Shakespeare category, like, 2-3 times a week. I'd rather see more pop culture categories, or linguistics, or history, or anything but Shakespeare!

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

@Mondrianyone - Ex FIL passed away, haven't seen the ex for 35 years (I was obviously a child bride - hahaha) and niece and nephew live out of state.  But I'm an awesome cook, if I do say so myself, so come on over!

I'm sorry about your FIL.  But if you're an awesome cook, that's good enough for me.  I'm an awesome baker, so I'll bring dessert!  (And I remember the name of your street from when you bought your new house--don't be surprised if I actually do show up.  Never mention a personal factoid on the J! board.  We're the type of people who remember these things forever.)

Now I'll go sit off in a corner with my hated friend Bill Shakespeare.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I wonder if they would have accepted Carson's Chinese Theater?  According to my Google search, it's known as Grauman's (my answer) Chinese Theater, TCL Chinese Theater or just Chinese Theater.  Apparently, Mann's wasn't popular.

I got John Wayne, The Aeneid, California and Interstate 80.

Clueless on FJ.  I blame an early glass of wine and the fact I'm no Shakespeare scholar.

I never heard of Manns Chinese theatre but I only knew the answer ofGraumans Chinese because Lucy and Ethel go on and on about it on I Love Lucy, I have never been to Hollywood!!

I couldn't stand Pam with her "yay me" arms after every right answer. Also I was appalled he said The Odyssey, everyone knows the Aeneid is the Roman one!  I also hated him starting at the second to last.

Edited by operalover
  • Love 2

I remember when the Grauman's was changed to Mann's. I hated that. I don't know if it's changed yet again, but I said Mann's Chinese Theatre.

A TS I got was John Wayne. I don't know if there were any others. I think not.

I thought FJ was very easy. However the clue was phrased, it led to 'as you like it', so you didn't need to know the line of dialogue.

I'm not good with wagering, but I didn't understand Pam's final wager. $200?

• Love 3
(edited)

I got interstate 80 (and was surprised none of them did) and FJ.  Not crazy about Justin at all.  Hope he's gone tomorrow.  What was up with Pam's ridiculous wager?  That put her in third place, for cripe's sake.  I think even wagering everything she had wouldn't have won, but geez, that was a stupid wager.  At least go for 2nd.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 1

I was curious about the name of the theater, having heard both Mann's and Grauman's, and according to Wikipedia, the official name of it today is the TCL Chinese Theater. 

TCL Chinese Theatre is a cinema palace on the historic Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6925 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California, United States. Originally known (and still commonly referred to) as Grauman's Chinese Theatre, it was renamed Mann's Chinese Theatre in 1973; the name lasted until 2001, after which it reverted to its original name. On January 11, 2013, Chinese electronics manufacturer TCL Corporation purchased the naming rights to the facility, making its official name TCL Chinese Theatre.[2] This resulted in the first affiliation of the Chinese Theatre with an actual Chinese corporation... The Chinese Theatre was declared a historic and cultural landmark in 1968, and has undergone various restoration projects in the years since then. Ted Mann, owner of the Mann Theatres chain and husband of actress Rhonda Fleming, purchased it in 1973. From then until 2001 it was known as Mann's Chinese Theatre. In the wake of Mann's 2000 bankruptcy, a partnership of Warner Bros. and Paramount Pictures acquired the theatre, along with the other Mann properties and the Mann brandname.

So initially it was named after Sid Grauman, then Ted Mann, and now the TCL Corporation. Once again proving that "Jeopardy!" is educational!

• Love 3

I guess maybe if you were a Los Angeleno born after it was changed from Grauman's to Mann's, you'd think of it that way, but even then you were likely hearing it referred to as Grauman's by people who were around before the change.  It's always been Grauman's to me, and while I knew it had been changed to Mann's for a time, I rarely if ever heard anyone who lives here refer to it that way; that would be something a tourist would read out of their book.  And TCL?  Forget it.

• Love 1

I like Justin a lot and it doesn't even bother me that he starts in mid-category.  I liked his last name story.  That's a Scandinavian tradition also.  My great grandfather's name was John Carlson and his son changed his last name to Johnson, although my grandma stayed Carlson.

i pronounce toque"toke."

• Love 3

I pronounce tuque to rhyme with kook because that's how Bob and Doug McKenzie pronounced it.

I was so rooting for Katie. Hope Mr. Board Jumper is one-and-done.

• Love 5

Central New York here and I say "toke" too because that's how the spelling of toque would lead me to say it.

Crazy Canadians say "aboot" for about too so I can't always trust them anyways, heh.

• Love 3

We used to have tour groups come in to the mall where I worked and I heard that more often than not.  I meant no offense!  (probably shouldn't have said crazy, but I myself tend towards insane)

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

I guess maybe if you were a Los Angeleno born after it was changed from Grauman's to Mann's, you'd think of it that way, but even then you were likely hearing it referred to as Grauman's by people who were around before the change.  It's always been Grauman's to me, and while I knew it had been changed to Mann's for a time, I rarely if ever heard anyone who lives here refer to it that way; that would be something a tourist would read out of their book.  And TCL?  Forget it.

I said Mann's because I knew it had been changed from Grauman's and I wasn't sure if it had been changed back.  I wouldn't have wanted to get it wrong.  Should've gone with Carson's, though.

My mother would've killed me if I'd missed John Wayne.

• Love 4

Justin alluded to the fact that he is SE Indian (or whatever the PC term is) when he said his father changed his last name to George in honor of George VI because George VI was whatever of India (emperor?  viceroy?  What a good J! question)

• Love 2

Am I the only one who has absolutely no idea what "toque" is? I've never heard or seen that word in my entire life. The debate about its pronunciation is furthering my confusion because apparently this toque thing is popular and I have no clue. 

• Love 3

I was kind of surprised by the John Wayne TS.  The only one of his films I have ever watched all the way through is Rooster Cogburn (and that's because of Katharine Hepburn), but it's kind of hard to escape hearing about his films enough that Cahill and Hondo in the clue did it for me. 

I also knew Kafka, California, Madonna, and Snark -- I LOVED the periodic spelling category.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Am I the only one who has absolutely no idea what "toque" is? I've never heard or seen that word in my entire life. The debate about its pronunciation is furthering my confusion because apparently this toque thing is popular and I have no clue. 

It's a brimless hat like the kind chefs wear.

• Love 3
(edited)
7 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

It's a brimless hat like the kind chefs wear.

In Canada (at least, where I live), it refers to a knit winter hat, which I don't even know what else you'd call if you don't have the word "toque"! 

And I pronounce it to rhyme with "Luke"

Edited by Fex
  • Love 6
24 minutes ago, Fex said:

In Canada (at least, where I live), it refers to a knit winter hat, which I don't even know what else you'd call if you don't have the word "toque"! 

And I pronounce it to rhyme with "Luke"

Around here, we call those "ski hats",  90% of which never get near a ski run.

• Love 7
(edited)
26 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

According to google it is pronounced toke like Coke. But who knows? I'd never even heard of it! ;)

I think if one is talking about the chef's hat meaning, that's how I'd expect to hear it. I missed that episode, how did they pronounce it on the show?

Around here, we call those "ski hats",  90% of which never get near a ski run.

Interesting! Thanks!

Edited by Fex
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, Trey said:

Does your pronunciation of Luke rhyme with kook? 

Yes, maybe slightly more 'u' ish, but now I'm thinking too hard about it, and can't be sure. Also like duke. How would you pronounce it?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I knew (sort of) what it was, but don't know that I've ever spoken the word aloud, nor recall having heard it spoken aloud, so I had no idea of how it is supposed to be pronounced.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Fex said:

Yes, maybe slightly more 'u' ish, but now I'm thinking too hard about it, and can't be sure. Also like duke. How would you pronounce it?

I pronounce it to rhyme with Luke or Duke.  For my post upthread, where I say it rhymes with kook, that was the only word I could think of.  Luke is really better:)

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

My youthful brain always assumed Mann's was just a nickname for Grauman's. TIL. 

• Love 3

Jessica was cute.  I'd love to have her serve me some German food. </shallow>

Boring game - runaway.  Boring champ.  Boring FJ.  That Alexander Hamilton gets a hit show on Broadway and he's everywhere now.  Even got the Treasury Dept to change their mind about taking him off the $10 bill.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I'm sorry about your FIL.  But if you're an awesome cook, that's good enough for me.  I'm an awesome baker, so I'll bring dessert!  (And I remember the name of your street from when you bought your new house--don't be surprised if I actually do show up.  Never mention a personal factoid on the J! board.  We're the type of people who remember these things forever.)

Now I'll go sit off in a corner with my hated friend Bill Shakespeare.

I'm an awesome drinker, I'll bring the wine!

• Love 4