Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Jason is personable enough but I don't like that he starts in the middle or at the end of the clues.  So many people do it now, I guess we just have to get used to it.

I liked both women.  I don't know if they were just slow buzzing in or didn't know a lot of the stuff.  That was quite a lead Jason had.

My ts's were half a loaf, Jack London and elver.  FJ was an instaguess but I had nothing else so I stuck with it. I was about 85% sure it was right.

• Love 5

I really wanted either of the women to beat Jason, but alas, it was not to be.  Maybe tomorrow.

TS I got were Jack London, half a loaf, barracuda and elver (thank you crossword puzzles!).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, catrice2 said:

What was dine and dash also not an acceptable response?  I have heard people say both. 

I think dine and dash is when you skip out on the bill at a restaurant, not just leaving fast.

• Love 12

I just moved and don't have TV set up, so no Jeopardy for the rest of the week - but I've always used and heard the term "dine and dash" to mean leaving without paying the bill.

• Love 8

I can't stand Jason's DD hunting either and I celebrated every time one of the ladies beat him on the buzzer and answered correctly.

Other than that he's OK I guess. Not his fault but I find runaways boring to watch.

• Love 6

Jason looks like someone's dream of a handsome Bollywood actor.  Almost as if he'd been computer-generated.  There's something oddly bland about it, but his features are frighteningly perfect.  I wish he would go off and be a star (have no idea if this is his aspiration--it's my aspiration for him) so that we can go back to games where every effin' category isn't started at the bottom and ended at the top.  I think it makes me almost physically dizzy.  (Okay, I'm dramatizing.) 

Elver fishing has become an important source of revenue here in Maine over the last few years.  Big demand for them in Asia and in an increasing number of US restaurants, and Maine has the only significant elver fishery in the country.  I think they go for something close to $2K a pound.  So we're always hearing reports about the elver catch on the news. 

• Love 9

I think we all can finally remember his name is Jason, not Justin, after that Jason (on the Argo) question. When the clue was read, I said Jason, then Alex said, "Jason?" and Jason said, "Who is Jason?" Cracked me up.

I wish he didn't board-jump, but I like him just fine.

• Love 6

They shouldn't have accepted general instead of government for GAO. The name is the Government Accountability Office.

Oooh.  I was wondering about that.  When Alex said "We'll accept that," I thought it was strange since I thought it was 'general' myself.  What category was that under?  I thought it was something to do with the military.

• Love 1

Someone on jboard pointed out that the Government Accountability Office was formerly known as the General Accounting Office. According to Wikipedia (because I'm lazy in the morning) the name changed in 2004. 

I like learning stuff. 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Jason looks like someone's dream of a handsome Bollywood actor. 

It's funny, because Jason really drove home for me just how much I hate starting in the middle.  When he was first introduced on Monday, I'll admit my shallow brain was thinking "Dang, he's rather good-looking".  He got the first question right, jumped to an $800 clue, and like a light switch, that thought was instantly and completely replaced with "Oh, he's one of those...".  

• Love 8

Someone on jboard pointed out that the Government Accountability Office was formerly known as the General Accounting Office. According to Wikipedia (because I'm lazy in the morning) the name changed in 2004. 

Did the clue say former name or current name though?  Hmm. 

Its a little weird that with two A Ham shoutouts yesterday, the show didn't mention it was the anniversary of his death.

• Love 1

I proudly stand alone, on this board anyway, and hereby state, after months of silence, that I luuurrrvvv, daily double seekers, who go for the win! (After selecting the first choice and learning what the category is about, that is.) However, I must also be very fond of that seeker or--game over!!!

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, just prin said:

I proudly stand alone, on this board anyway, and hereby state, after months of silence, that I luuurrrvvv, daily double seekers, who go for the win! (After selecting the first choice and learning what the category is about, that is.) However, I must also be very fond of that seeker or--game over!!!

I don't mind daily double seekers or those who choose the order of questions based on their current total (eg with a minute to go, if a contestant is way ahead, he or she picks low value clues). I don't like the support for delaying the game by intentionally dragging out answers or next clues. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, just prin said:

Oh, you're far from alone. I think those of us who hate it just complain louder, but there are several boardies who've mentioned that they like aggressive play and like when players try to find the DDs. I love big bets (and I cannot lie) so if someone is hunting and hits a DD, they'd better wager big, or they're dead to me. I know some try to hit a DD just to keep their opponents from getting it; I don't really like that, although it's a valid strategy.

Jason doesn't bother me for a few reasons: 1.) He's from Philly, and I always, always root for players from my hometown. 2.) I don't mind his clue selection because he gets many of them right. He has stayed in categories for more than just one clue, too. I hate, hate, hate when contestants go for the high-valued clues and then stare at the board, mouths agape. 3.) I like his attitude. He doesn't seem full of himself, selects quickly, and seems like a genuinely nice guy.

Jason is also easy on the eyes. He is one of the prettiest Jeopardy champs I've seen, male or female. I may lose my lesbian card for saying so, but I think he's hot. While I don't require that in a contestant by any means, it is nice once in a while to see someone who is good-looking and also intelligent.

If Athur Chu's only sin had been the board hopping, I could have learned to tolerate him. However, I didn't like his attitude. That's a much more unforgivable offense for me. Alex may be a tool, but he's our tool. And you don't step on the host when they're trying to say something. We had another contestant recently who did that, and I despised him.

• Love 7
19 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Jason looks like someone's dream of a handsome Bollywood actor.  Almost as if he'd been computer-generated. 

This. I couldn't come up with the words to describe him. Very symmetrical.

6 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

They shouldn't have accepted general instead of government for GAO. The name is the Government Accountability Office.

Doesn't Alex usually say what the expected answer was? I said government and then was left hanging about whether or not I was right.

4 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I put my fingers in front of my face during the eels category.  I hate those monsters.

They made me think of Ursula's minions in the Little Mermaid (though I wouldn't want to encounter one in real life, I prefer my eels animated, thank you very much).

• Love 3

Mondrianyone, your description of Jason NAILED IT.
I'm surprised he missed Galapagos Islands, but happy Boy Boring is out of the picture. Loved Sue's reaction to winning.

For ts I got Alcott, Toni Morrisson, Sonic Highways and Everlong. I guess none of them like the Foos? I personally am obsessed with Dave Grohl.

• Love 5

Hooray for Sue!  But it wouldn't have hurt my feelings if Benn had won.  I also adored Sue's reaction when she found out she'd won.

FJ was an instaget for me.  I was shocked that Jason missed it.

• Love 6

I didn't listen to any of the stories.  The Olympics were held in Vancouver in 2010 and Benn is from Vancouver - maybe he was just making up a story or maybe they really did want him to carry the torch.  He seemed a bit of a clown so I suspect he made up a story - I could well be wrong.

I thought it was a pretty good, even game.  I am glad Sue won.  I liked Jason well enough and Benn too but I liked her demeanor.

I did not get FJ.  I misread and was trying to think of what important visitor showed up there in 1835.  It also didn't help that I was on the wrong ocean:)

• Love 5

I missed yesterday's episode.  It wasn't on until 11:35 pm because of baseball.  I stayed up late then forgot to watch.  Boo hiss!

Yay Sue!  I liked her shy ways.  Benn was a class clown and Jason, just no.

I got Jose Cuervo, Charlemagne and Louisa May Alcott.

FJ was relatively easy but not an instaget.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, teebax said:

I love big bets (and I cannot lie)

I kinda disagree with almost everything you said, but I'm so happy to see you back, Teebax.  Plus, you really made me laugh.  Hope all's good with you.

I was also wondering about Benn and what made him such a prized commodity to run with the torch (which seemed as if it could've ended badly). I liked him until he started talking. 

I was very happy with the outcome.

• Love 3

I don't know much about the Foo Fighters, so I was pretty lost there.

I got Toni Morrison and one or two other TSs which of course I can't remember now.

I love the new champ's penmanship.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, forumfish said:

After listening to Benn's (with 2, count 'em, 2 "n"s!) interview, I said I'd have to come read what y'all said about him. Braggarts don't sit well with me, so I was glad he didn't win.

This is probably why the Olympics wanted him so badly.  Canada's only 'Two N Benn'.

• Love 4

I liked Benn I thought he was funny and smart. If he had not screwed up a few answers he would have won. I am sure he is mad at himself for missing some of those easy ones. I am happy to get rid of bland "start at the second to the bottom clue" champ. No personality. Anyway I was proud of myself for knowing FJ I said to my son- the famous visitor was Charles Darwin and the island group is the Galapagos. Just wait I am right.

I know the foo fighters song from the David Letterman show and started singing it but could not remember the name!! Everlong! Oy vey.

• Love 4

I, too, was waiting for Bennn to give an explanation as to why he was such a valuable torch-carrier. That story just came off as flat out bragging without it. Very off-putting.

Loved Sue's reaction to winning. She's definitely not a braggart.

It was interesting how when Jason would start at the bottom of a category and one of the others got the answer, they would then go back to the top of the category for the next pick! I found that amusing. 

• Love 7

I liked Benn.  I thought he was trying to be funny with his braggart story.  I'm glad the daily double hunter is gone (and he didn't know FJ?).  I think Sue will be a one and done.  She doesn't seem that strong and basically lucked out by having more money at the end.  FJ was an instaget for me.

• Love 3
(edited)
20 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Mondrianyone, your description of Jason NAILED IT.
I'm surprised he missed Galapagos Islands, but happy Boy Boring is out of the picture. Loved Sue's reaction to winning.

For ts I got Alcott, Toni Morrisson, Sonic Highways and Everlong. I guess none of them like the Foos? I personally am obsessed with Dave Grohl.

I got Alcott and Morrison but know very little about the Foo Fighters so I mostly tanked that category.  I was pretty astonished by the Jose Cuervo miss - that's probably the most commonly sold tequila around here.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

What a game!  Ken was a very good player - but Ellen - with a really impressive comeback in Double Jeopardy.

For FJ  my first instinct was Kentucky then I second-guessed with Missouri.  Wasn't really sure, though.

• Love 6

That was a really good game!  Not too many TS (I got Watergate and cornice), and everyone started at the tops of the categories!  It looked like Ken was squinting toward the board to read the categories, though, and I was concerned that he would hurt himself buzzing in.  I would have been happy with any of them winning.

I said Kentucky for FJ, too -- completely forgot about Missouri.  Boo hiss.

• Love 3

Okay, Ken, I'm so okay that you didn't win.  Okay.  I like Ellen and was impressed with her come from behind win.  I'll miss Sue.  She had the best story.

I got Attack of the Killer Tomatoes (awesome ridiculous movie) and Watergate.

I was a slack-jawed, drooling idiot on FJ.

• Love 5

As an Italian Major the Pirandello question was extremely easy because we talked about that play non-stop. I'm only piping in to say that Alex Frenchifies his Italian pronunciation: he uses a French R. I rewound it a few times to hear him say Sei Personaggi in Cerca d'autore. The worst was his R in Personaggi- he gives it a French R!

• Love 3

I'm so willfully ignorant of the Civil War I cannot believe I got FJ. I had an inkling it was Missouri (because of its relative size) and guessed right.

I was impressed by all 3 players. What a fantastic comeback by Ellen! Ken was very knowledgable. I guess Sue just ran out of steam. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And shouldn't "personaggi" have a soft G, like Giovanni?

I still don't have TV set up at my new place, so I didn't hear how Alex pronounced it, but YES. In Italian, "gi" and "ge" are always soft g sounds. To harden them, you have to stick an h in between (ghi and ghe). The letter c works the same way (like in bruschetta, which most people say incorrectly).

Alex has a long habit of butchering Italian pronunciations, though, so I'm not surprised.

Also - Watergate was a TS? What was the clue?

• Love 2

Could it have been more obvious that the Ghostbusters clue was a paid placement ?  We got a longish video clip plus we got AT adding in 'All women'.

Seriously, they need to make the DDs more challenging, not less challenging.  Abercrombie and Fitch, Corinthian -- come on.

Could they have gotten a grainier photo for that shot of the cornice ?

Great game going into FJ -- Ellen and Ken dueled back and forth for the lead, especially Ellen coming off of 3rd place in the Jeopardy round.

Why did Sue wager anything at all ?  She knew the other two were going to have to wager big ?  I went with Kentucky for FJ as well.  D'oh !!

Congrats to new champ Ellen.  Ken was really good as well.  Kind of figured that Sue would be a one and done.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Could it have been more obvious that the Ghostbusters clue was a paid placement ?  We got a longish video clip plus we got AT adding in 'All women'.

If I'm not mistaken, he even said "Opening this Friday" at the end of it.

• Love 3