Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I'm torn now. "Stella!!" has always cracked me up since Seinfeld and though Pranjal didn't do a great job with it, I liked that he showed some humor. The new champ does the uptalk thing that I hate, so I hope she's not around forever. I knew about Carter and Tut, but didn't associate a royal with the endeavor, so I failed FJ. Got Beene and Katzenjammer. I was just telling someone that a woman in my building is a spitting image of their mother in the strip. I did well on GWTW in school, but apparently was not tested on the sisters' names.

• Love 5

Barbara, I love you!  *doing happy dance on Pranjal's grave*  

I agree, Zlatan was an ass.  Did I tell Barbara I love her?

WTF was with all the photos?  Mickey Mantle (not Mattle, you creepy eyed freak), Garry Shandling and a scorpion.  Lazy writers.

I got Beene and GWTW (I was screaming at Barbara on that one).

I was a drooling moron for FJ.  But I knew it wasn't a king.

*happy dance, happy dance, happy dance*

• Love 5

I am SO happy to be back. Something tells me the new champ will be a one and done but I am happy to see her today!

Pranjal should have been dragged off the stage for mistaking Joe D for Babe Ruth.

For TS I got Geoffrey Beene and the dime.

Wonder why they cut off Zlatan's contestant story? That was an awkward edit.

• Love 8

Thought question: who would win a matchup between Pranjal and Buzzy Cohen?  In regular play Buzzy won more games (9 to 6) and more money ($165K to $139K). Buzzy is more conservative and self-disciplined and I guess his rate of ringing in with the wrong answer is much lower.  But Pranjal seems to have the higher ceiling.  He's more volatile and if he gets a lot of clues in his wheelhouse he's probably more likely to go on a roll.

I am guessing that in a 10-game series, Pranjal wins over Buzzy 6 or 7 times.

57 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Wonder why they cut off Zlatan's contestant story? That was an awkward edit.

He's obviously a communist.

59 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Pranjal should have been dragged off the stage for mistaking Joe D for Babe Ruth.

IKR?  Even as a child I could pick Babe Ruth out of a lineup.  Pranjal should spend more time studying famous faces instead of glaring at his co-contestants when they have the audacity to buzz in on a question. 

• Love 9

For once, my cat wasn't on my lap. She was sitting by the glass doors, looking out.  When Creepy Eyes yelled out, "Stella!" she turned & looked at the TV. Who on TV would be calling her name?  She was kind of freaked, so I had to call her over to my lap for some calming lovin'.

I couldn't believe they missed a PHOTO of Joe DiMaggio.  Sheesh.  I'm not even a baseball fan and I knew that.

(I also knew Lord Carnarvon.)

VERY happy Creepy Eyes is gone!  Thank you, M. Darcy for saying out loud you like him! Your jinx still works!!

• Love 9

GONE WITH THE WIND! GONE WITH THE WIND! Oh, sorry, it's hours later and I'm still shouting. Maybe they should have added a picture of MM to the Joe D clue to make it a little easier. Sheesh! And what did they think a scorpion was? A caterpillar? I did clap when Barbara won. It's not that I didn't like Pranjal. It's just that I didn't like Pranjal.

• Love 8
39 minutes ago, Mystery Author said:

Maybe they should have added a picture of MM to the Joe D clue to make it a little easier. Sheesh!

Pranjal would have said "Who is Blake Shelton?"

• Love 3

I did it!  I did it!  Heh, the first thing I did when we found out he lost was jump around yelling I DID IT!!! 

I guess none of the three of them were Downton Abbey Fans...or King Tut fans.  If you don't know the Carnarvon family own the estate where Downton Abbey was filmed..and in fact some of the King Tut loot is there.  I'm not sure if you can see it on the tour though.

And I also had a hand in the first four books of the Sweet Valley High series.

I'm of a certain age that that is so awesomely cool! 

• Love 7

Interesting how Pranjal recognized Mickey Mantle, but thought Joe DiMaggio was Babe Ruth. Very strange. 

I can't stand champs who give the annoyed glance over the left shoulder and stinkeye to anyone who has the nerve to beat them to the buzzer, so 'bye Pranjal. You won't be missed.

Zlatan reminded me of a champ a few years ago who kept his arms folded across his chest. He was dubbed 'coffin guy' by the TWoP minions. He just had the folded arms, though, not the totally bored expression.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

small voice :   What does BMS mean? 

19 minutes ago, Trey said:

BMS means Be More Specific.

This could have easily become a hilariously drawn-out exchange a la Reverend Jim in Taxi.

MoreCoffeePlease: What does BMS mean?

Trey: Be more specific.

MoreCoffeePlease: I just want to know what the abbreviation BMS means!

MoreCoffeePlease: I don't know how I can possibly be any more specific...

LOL, sorry, gang. Please return to your regularly scheduled Jeopardy discussion. Hooray for the new champ!

• Love 21
(edited)

As promised, I didn't watch last night, but I did briefly flip over sometime during Double Jeopardy and saw that the Evil One has a lot more money than the other contestants and thought "oh, dear god, no".  So imagine my surprise and delight when I came here to see that he is gone.

Oh, and I would've gotten GWTW (my mother's favorite book and movie) and Lord Carnarvon.

Edited by proserpina65
Because I can't spell "Carnarvon" although, unlike Pranjal, I can pronounce it
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, rubaco said:

This could have easily become a hilariously drawn-out exchange a la Reverend Jim in Taxi.

MoreCoffeePlease: What does BMS mean?

MoreCoffeePlease: I just want to know what the abbreviation BMS means!

MoreCoffeePlease: I don't know how I can possibly be any more specific...

LOL, sorry, gang. Please return to your regularly scheduled Jeopardy discussion. Hooray for the new champ!

I could see that happening! Hilarious!

• Love 2

My FJ response would have been "Who is, uh, Lord Car...um, something?", but I don't care, because our long national nightmare is over.  I think the Harry Potter hand-waving may have been the most spoiled brattish thing I've seen in 30 years of watching this. You've played enough of these games, you know there's a break coming next--resolve it then. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I'm of a certain age that that is so awesomely cool! 

I'll be signing autographs at the gas station near the high school.  No charge for yours.  A grateful nation salutes you.  ;o)

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

And how he couldn't wait till the damn commercial break to start waving his hand in the air to protest the "incorrect" ruling on the Harry Potter clue.  This guy gives nerds a bad name.  And weirdos, too.

I volunteer at an elementary school library and the next time a student asks me what the last Harry Potter book is, I am going answer "Duh! It's book 7!" 

• Love 4

I can't stand champs who give the annoyed glance over the left shoulder and stinkeye to anyone who has the nerve to beat them to the buzzer, so 'bye Pranjal. You won't be missed.

Oh, it never failed. Someone else buzzed in, he would turn his head way the hell around to peer at them. Every single time. 'Cause he thought he was playing alone, I guess. The game is Jeopardy, not "Ask Pranjal."

So happy to see this guy lose.

• Love 5

I FF to the end, saw Barbra won, and watched Double.  Future contestants:  Please study/read/watch Gone With the Wind.  Know it backwards and forwards.  I had no clue as to FJ.  I said "the Prince of Wales."  Who wouls have known Lord Carnavan???????

• Love 1
(edited)

Me. I knew it was Lord Carnarvon because I am brilliant and was once fascinated by the idea of the mummy's curse. But mostly because I'm brilliant. 

I can't sit through the movie (it astonishes me that Clark Gable was considered a sex symbol. No. Just...no.) and even I know that if it's a literature category on Jeopardy and the name O'Hara appears, the answer is GWTW.

Edited by ABay
This post approved by the Dept of Redundancy Dept approval process.
  • Love 6

Missl, I like both of those folks, so that make you merely all foam and no beer but me someone who must have fallen out of a tree and hit every branch on the way down!! ;) (I love the net!)

I didn't like any of the contestants tonight.  Starting in the middles, choosing slowly so that the boards weren't cleared, etc. -- there wasn't much to like.  And of course Alex had to remind us that we'd see Pranjal again in the TOC.  Boo hiss.

I got the TS of ahem, sizzle, baccalaureate and recession.  For FJ, I could not for the life of me come up with the guy's name.  I'm pretty sure "That astronaut guy who spent a year in space!" would not have been accepted.

• Love 4

That Star Wars character category was confusing. Sometimes Alex wanted the character name, sometimes he didn't...I didn't like it. Pissed that we saw almost no Classical Century clues. The dude should have bet $0 in FJ and they'd have been co-champs. Dumbass.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, ClareWalks said:

That Star Wars character category was confusing. Sometimes Alex wanted the character name, sometimes he didn't...I didn't like it. Pissed that we saw almost no Classical Century clues. The dude should have bet $0 in FJ and they'd have been co-champs. Dumbass.

There are no more co-champs - they would have had final question. I guess he figured the one dollar would beat her if they were both right and she bet it all - I think that was a good bet but it just didn't work out.

I like Barbra well enough; the woman on the other end was pretty pokey about choosing a question.

My only ts's were (fifth) fleet and (printer's) devil.

I had no idea on FJ.

• Love 2
Just now, Trey said:

There are no more co-champs - they would have had final question. I guess he figured the one dollar would beat her if they were both right and she bet it all - I think that was a good bet but it just didn't work out.

Whaa? When did that change?

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Yeah, it was weird -- the Palantine clue in that category was the only one that met the category title, because it did 'sound' like a Star Wars character but definitely wasn't.  Luke, Han, and Chewie actually were Star Wars character's names, and for some reason they needed the full name of Obi-wan Kenobi.  

That whole category was just poorly written.  Did they let one of the interns write this category ?

• Love 7

I was not a fan of Katrina AT ALL.  And what an odd story!

I liked that clever FJ clue.  I didn't know it, but I liked it.

I also liked the easy peasy sports category, obv.

• Love 3

The show is determined not to give me eye candy! I really was hoping for a Todd win, but neither he nor I got FJ. I didn't even consider an astronaut, but as soon as it was mentioned I remembered! I got TS's Ahem, Baccalaureate, & recession. I knew my comic book reading would pay off one day!

• Love 5

Congrats to Barbra on her win.  She can stay around awhile since she beat Pranjal.  I'm glad Gnome Lady didn't win.  I almost felt sorry for Todd, but the Statue of Liberty?  52 years old?  The 100th anniversary for the Statue in 1986, must have been before his time.  BTW, I got to go to that celebration and it was a highlight of my life.

I got hack, fleet and recession.

I, again, was sitting here slack jawed, drooling and mumbling gibberish for FJ.

• Love 9

That whole category was just poorly written.  Did they let one of the interns write this category ?

I wanna know why the writers of yesterday's show think the key lime is "giant" when it's about one-third the size of a regular, Persian lime. What're they smoking in that room?

• Love 6

Add me to the list of people who wildly guessed Obama for FJ!

For the Obie/Obi-Wan Kenobi clue, which were they even looking for? Katrina said Obie, and then AT asked for more, so then she added "Wan Kenobi", and then he said she gave too much information but they would give it to her anyways.

• Love 4

I assume they were looking for Obi-Wan since the off-Broadway awards are the Obie and pale people are wan.                                           Add me to the list of Obama answerers even though it made no sense.                                     I didn't mind the Gnome lady until she said McArthur instead of McCarthy and seemed so sure of it - couldn't root for her after that.

• Love 5

Well, that was a  . . . palate cleanser, I guess.

Didn't Katrina say "Palantine" instead of "Palatine"?  I think she did, and the judges just said fuck it.  Maybe that should be called the Pranjal Pass from now on.  Get the pronunciation vaguely in the ballpark and we'll give it to you.

In the publishing biz, a "quick turnover" book is normally called a "crash," which would be a good nickname for some cabdrivers I've known. "Cash Cab" was a fun show but a silly answer, too.

Tomorrow will be better.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Whaa? When did that change?

It was definitely before the 2014 Teen Tournament, because that's how its winner was determined.  Of course the kid I disliked won.

13 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Yeah, it was weird -- the Palantine clue in that category was the only one that met the category title, because it did 'sound' like a Star Wars character but definitely wasn't.  Luke, Han, and Chewie actually were Star Wars character's names, and for some reason they needed the full name of Obi-wan Kenobi.  

I think they just wanted "Obi-wan" for that one but gave the contestant credit even though she added the "Kenobi".

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Didn't Katrina say "Palantine" instead of "Palatine"?  I think she did, and the judges just said fuck it.  Maybe that should be called the Pranjal Pass from now on.  Get the pronunciation vaguely in the ballpark and we'll give it to you.

I heard this too. I even went back to check it. I guess now we're just going with "close enough."

• Love 1
3 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Happy last day of the season everyone! 

It is! My DVR decided to just not record anything for the past two days, so I'm late celebrating the good news that Pranjal is gone. He won't be waiting for us when next season starts, and apparently we have you to thank for that! My only regret is that I have boneitis didn't get to see his losing game. Ah, well.

• Love 2