Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

14 hours ago, Roaster said:

What a game!  Ken was a very good player - but Ellen - with a really impressive comeback in Double Jeopardy.

For FJ  my first instinct was Kentucky then I second-guessed with Missouri.  Wasn't really sure, though.

My first thought was Missouri, but then I wasn't sure whether or not it had seceded, so I went with Kentucky instead.  Oh well, at least I knew it wasn't Maryland.  (We stayed with the Union pretty much from the beginning, and we aren't that big a state.)

• Love 2

I could have sworn I posted yesterday.

3 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Could they have gotten a grainier photo for that shot of the cornice ?

Maybe that's their way of making the questions tougher.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Why did Sue wager anything at all ?  She knew the other two were going to have to wager big ?

I know next to nothing about wagering strategy, but even I was sure that Sue would bet $0 for the chance to steal. I thought Ken bet way too much also.  Leaving Kelly to take the game with only $3k! She came back really strong in Double Jeopardy, so she certainly deserved the win.

I got FJ because of the Missouri Compromise and knowing that MO didn't secede, altough there were a ton of Confederate sympathizers/traitors.

• Love 2

I know nothing about the Civil War, have no interest in it, and am georgraphically ignorant yet got FJ simply because I know Missouri is a large in area state.  As in, it was a wild guess.

• Love 2

OMG a KAISERSLAUTERN clue!

Proud alum of Kaiserslautern American High School here...IIRC Kaiserslautern's other claim to fame when we lived in the area was that it was the center of the largest concentration of Americans outside the US. Not sure if that's still true, although there are still a lot of Americans. 

Guess Missouri for FJ, was not disappointed. 

• Love 3

Siobhan was a noisemaker so for that alone I could not root for her.

Buffalo seemed rather obvious no?  I also got stockade and was sad that Knute Rockne was a TS.

FJ took a sec but then was an instaget.

• Love 4

I need to pay more attention to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame -- I had no idea ABBA had been inducted.  So (obviously), I missed FJ.  I said Aerosmith and ZZ Top.  Is Aerosmith even in the HOF?

However, I did get stockade, Lesotho and Purdue. 

• Love 4

Congrats to Ellen on her second win.

I found it to be a rather lackluster game, even though the scores were pretty good. I think it was just me; I wasn't all that sharp tonight.

My only ts was Knute Rockne.

FJ was an instaget so that redeemed the game for me:).

• Love 3

Congrats to Ellen.  

Egypt on a map?  Come on writers.  Sheesh!

I got solitary confinement (missed DD), Jack Reacher and Knute Rockne.

I got Abba but couldn't pull ZZ Top out of my peabrain.  At least I didn't say Zeppelin.

• Love 6

In the interview when Ellen was telling the story of being panicked when she was separated from her group at the Louvre and doesn't know any French, I thought  "sacre bleu! Alex is going to tell her in French how to communicate with the guard at the Louvre." You know he was itching to. Seriously, every single show has at least one word he can say with a French accent...can't remember what today's was, but it was there. 

• Love 4

I got solitary confinement (was surprised Siobhan missed it) and Jack Reacher.  Had no clue about FJ.  I'm glad Ellen won.  I didn't see her yesterday because our local station ran a Pat Summit special instead of Jeopardy.  

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

In the interview when Ellen was telling the story of being panicked when she was separated from her group at the Louvre and doesn't know any French, I thought  "sacre bleu! Alex is going to tell her in French how to communicate with the guard at the Louvre." You know he was itching to. Seriously, every single show has at least one word he can say with a French accent...can't remember what today's was, but it was there. 

For the clue about The Little Prince, I could swear he pronounced 'six' the English way, and 'douze' the French way. Did I imagine that?

• Love 2

Three of the most boring contestants ever.  So many wrong answers, so much dead silence at dozens of clues, not even a jiggler or swayer or a buzzer attacker.  The show seemed like it was an hour long.

• Love 4

I was rooting hard agin' S as she had the worst case of rbf I've ever seen (& I have a bad case myself)! Or is it supposed to be RBF? For those as out of it as I was, that's "resting bitch face." Gotta love it! Thank god she smiled occasionally!

• Love 3

I got FJ right away, but I also was unsure about ABBA having been inducted. I can't stand them but know they're pretty popular.

I'm out of town on business, and I arrived at my hotel with 5 minutes to spare in order to watch the show. Unfortunately, the person in front of me at the check-in desk took 15 freaking minutes to get checked in because she was insisting she'd booked a smoking room despite the front desk clerk showing her that she had not. She was berating the clerk, who already told her she would change it, and being an asshole to her. I had an Ally McBeal moment in which I visualized myself slapping her repeatedly and yelling, "You're making me miss Jeopardy, you jackass!" Alas, I don't think she'd have cared. She didn't strike me as one of us.

Anyway, I tuned in just in time for DJ to start, but it didn't seem like I missed too much excitement. I'm glad the returning champ won more money today. I like her.

• Love 6

I got Episodes, Calder, solitary confinement, Niger & Nigeria, and Knute Rockne. There may have been others. I said Reacher instead of Jack Reacher, so unless Alex said BMS, I got that wrong. I had just heard an interview with Lee Child, so that helped me.

For FJ I immediately said ZZ Top, and my sister said ABBA, so I can't say for certain that I would have gotten ABBA.

I liked the male contestant when he told his story. He had a good sense of humor. I liked the middle woman, too. But I'm glad the champ won again.

• Love 3
(edited)

Did anyone else see S mouth "dammit" after missing the Jack Reacher answer? The husband caught it, and we replayed it a couple of times. It kind of made me like her just a little bit.

I got Abba and ZZ Top, though if A/C D/C had entered my brain I would have gone with them instead, because Abba is pretty much just Rock adjacent. Though to be fair, so are many of the acts being inducted these days. (just saying, mileage varies)

I got Jack Reacher primarily because I really hated the idea of Cruise playing Reacher - who in the book is about a foot taller than Cruise, and his size is kind of an important part of his story (and abilities).

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2

I got Jack Reacher primarily because I really hated the idea of Cruise playing Reacher - who in the book is about a foot taller than Cruise, and his size is kind of an important part of his story (and abilities).

So. Much. Word. Although Lee Child had no problem with the casting of Cruise (Lee is a good friend). I got Abba for FJ but ZZ Top was a face

slap.

• Love 2

I'm so obsessed with Lee Child/Jack Reacher, I was also yelling at the TV on that one.  Also got Abba and couldn't come up with ZZ Top (and probably would have written "Zepplin, Led" just for something on the page). So basically if I just align myself with @Mystery Author, does that mean I also get to be friends with Lee Child???

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

So. Much. Word. Although Lee Child had no problem with the casting of Cruise (Lee is a good friend). I got Abba for FJ but ZZ Top was a face slap.

Love the Reacher books (pass it on). As an author, Child's certainly had a better idea of his own vision. But mine was more a younger Liam Neeson than an older Frodo. (snark aside, I don't hate Cruise as an actor, and he's done surprisingly great work in some things - just wanted to see the hulking hunk I was visualizing)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
(edited)

I guessed Aerosmith and ZZTop for FJ. Abba and AC/DC didn't even occur to me, ugh.

For TS I got solitary and Purdue.

I cracked up at FJ because Siobahn looked over at Ellen like she really had a change of winning! Girl, you were pretty much a mess throughout the entire game, and Ellen isn't going to blow her wager here, so bye.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
forgot Siobahn's name
  • Love 2

I said Reacher instead of Jack Reacher, so unless Alex said BMS, I got that wrong.

Well, the title of the movie is "Jack Reacher," not "Reacher."  So, yeah.  During filming (near my house!) the title was still "One Shot" as in the novel.  I don't remember exactly why they changed it (sensitivity about one mass shooting or another?  Aurora??  -- sadly, there have been too many to keep them all straight), but I do remember they postponed the premiere because the Sandy Hook shooting happened the day before :-(

• Love 2
23 hours ago, opus said:

I was trying to figure out who Ellen reminds me of. I came up with Vanessa Bayer (SNL).

Ellen reminds me a lot of Lacey Chabert when she was younger -- they have very similar smiles.

From a fashion point of view, I liked Ellen's black bolero-style jacket with her dress.

22 hours ago, Trey said:

Congrats to Ellen on her second win.

I found it to be a rather lackluster game, even though the scores were pretty good. I think it was just me; I wasn't all that sharp tonight.

My only ts was Knute Rockne.

FJ was an instaget so that redeemed the game for me:).

Got FJ half  right -- guessed ABBA correctly, but guessed Velvet Underground for the 2nd part.

Again with the easy DD clues - Sisyphus, while showing a video of man pushing a rock

And we're back with the name this highlighted country clues -- but why was LIBYA spelled out beside Egypt in such extremely large letters ?
Then Namibia and Mozambique as the DD (both clues with South Africa in GIANT LETTERS).  Arggh !!!!  We already know the category is about Africa, aren't these clues supposed to be MORE difficult in the DJ round ?  These are high school geography clues.

• Love 4

Emily, you have a mic -- no need to shout. 

Glad Ellen won again, though Hans would have been okay.  I didn't realize how tall he was until they all were standing around at the end.

I got inertia, Polk, Hard Times and Aberdeen.  FJ took me a second, but I think I would have been able to write it down in time.

• Love 5

Compared to Ellen's mumbling, I thought Emily's speaking voice was great - I could hear her very well.

Emily and Hans seemed to make a lot of bad guesses.  It didn't hurt Hans but really did in Emily.

My two ts's were inertia and Aberdeen.

Instaget FJ. It helped that it's been in the news lately.

• Love 3

I could have sat here until next year's Tour and not come up with that.  I could not parse the clue to save my life.

I like Ellen, but doesn't she seem like she's going to fall asleep at the podium?  She's cute at the end though.

• Love 6

I'm so glad Ellen won.  Hans was dead to me when he started a new category in the middle.  Yes, I'm petty like that.  Emily's lisp drove me nuts, although I am impressed how well she's done with a double lung transplant.

I got Aberdeen and a couple other TS I didn't write down.  I was eating dinner.

FJ was an instaget.  I don't know if I'd wagered much on that category, though.

• Love 3
(edited)

I was very distracted trying to figure out who Hans reminded me of.  I think I figured it out:  Matthew Lillard from The Bridge and Bosch.  (Also Scooby-Doo, I know from looking him up on IMDb, but not from actually seeing any of those.)  Just me?

I do remember getting torque.

ETA:  Maybe Emily shouts because she got used to having to project on limited lung power, and she doesn't realize she can back off a little now that she has good lungs?

Edited by Mondrianyone
forgetting to remember
  • Love 5
30 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I was very distracted trying to figure out who Hans reminded me of.  I think I figured it out:  Matthew Lillard from The Bridge and Bosch.  (Also Scooby-Doo, I know from looking him up on IMDb, but not from actually seeing any of those.)  Just me?

I do remember getting torque.

ETA:  Maybe Emily shouts because she got used to having to project on limited lung power, and she doesn't realize she can back off a little now that she has good lungs?

I thought that, too, about Emily. She was loud, but her story was inspirational. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

I like Ellen, but doesn't she seem like she's going to fall asleep at the podium?  

I don't know if she was, but I was falling asleep on my couch. The past 2 or 3 shows have been so boring.  Ellen is very smart but completely lacking in personality or charm.  We need at least one asshole on the panel.

Happy for Emily's good health, but man...she annoyed the shit out of me.  Her pinched smile, nana hairdo, saliva-drenched pronunciation of shertain words, and the endless string of wrong answers...ugh.  I'm sure she's a nice person, but there was just something about her...

• Love 4
8 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Would Kit Liszt have sufficed in that Managrams category ?

I thought the full name was necessary because otherwise the anagram wouldn't work. I was amused at the thought of composer Hans Liszt and President William Van Buren.

I got both torque and inertia, and made a wild guess on FJ. I vaguely remembered the Tour de France winners got yellow jackets, and figured the mention of yellow in the clue was significant.

Agree on Ellen being really low-key, but she must have something interesting about her or she wouldn't have survived the interview at tryouts. I felt bad rooting against Emily after that lung transplant story, but I rooted for soft-spoken Ellen over shouty Emily.

• Love 3
(edited)

Oh my god the Daily Double was gone why was Pranjal picking $600 clues across the board argh?!?!??11?!?

Also he creeped me out that he was staring at the camera instead of looking at Alex when telling his odd little Seinfeld story.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 11
(edited)

I am incensed!  First off, the answer was Quakers, and I do not even understand how the clue was confusing?  And second, Marshall should not have been accepted! Because which one? John, or Thurgood?

If I were Ellen I would protest.  That's some crappy bullshit right there.

I'm so angry I am not even going to watch tomorrow.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 11

Congratulations to Pranjal on his win. Ellen was okay but I didn't really have strong feelings about her, one way or the other.

I agree, the answer was Quakers and should have been only Quakers. At least they didn't give him credit for the wrong pronunciation of beelzebub.  I thought they might reverse that one, since it is spelled the way he pronounced it.

A whole category on Solomon Burke! How cool was that!

My ts's were Beelzebub (correct pronunciation), Garp,  Ben. E. King and Juan Carlos, also the missed DD of emissary.

I had no clue whatsoever on FJ.

• Love 7

Pranjal's a creep and hope he flames out tomorrow.  Giving him Catholics when the answer was Quakers was total bullshit.  Ellen should protest.  She beat that DD hunting creep far and square.  I liked Carolyn's vegan cat story.

I got Garp, Ben E. King (sad that was a TS) and Juan Carlos.

I was clueless on FJ.

• Love 11
(edited)

Ugh, a new obnoxious, DD hunting champ. I hope he gets crushed tomorrow.

I agree the catholics reversal was some b.s. and he should have gotten a BMS for "Marley". Ziggy Marley has recoded several albums and is a star in his own right.

And second, Marshall should not have been accepted! Because which one? John, or Thurgood?

Yep, I think that should have been a BMS too.

I got the emissary DD and for TS: alderman, Ben E. King and Juan Carlos.

Oh and yesterday's FJ was an instaget. Even though I had never heard that fact, yellow + sports = Tour de France for me.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 10

I don't disagree with those who posted so far, but how would they handle a BMS situation in FJ? Just rule it incorrect? I'm sure it's happened before, but I can't remember.

I'm sorry to see Ellen get defeated, especially since it seemed unfair. She didn't have much personality, but I'm fine with that in a J contestant. Also, we have that Philly connection. Oh, well.

• Love 7