Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)
On ‎07‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 11:08 PM, Clanstarling said:

Did anyone else see S mouth "dammit" after missing the Jack Reacher answer? The husband caught it, and we replayed it a couple of times. It kind of made me like her just a little bit.

I got Abba and ZZ Top, though if A/C D/C had entered my brain I would have gone with them instead, because Abba is pretty much just Rock adjacent. Though to be fair, so are many of the acts being inducted these days. (just saying, mileage varies)

I got Jack Reacher primarily because I really hated the idea of Cruise playing Reacher - who in the book is about a foot taller than Cruise, and his size is kind of an important part of his story (and abilities).

I love ABBA, but they have no place in the ROCK AND ROLL hall of fame.  Like quite a few others who are also in there.

On ‎07‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 10:04 AM, peeayebee said:

Oh, I also got A Place In The Sun, a beautiful movie with beautiful people. I saw it before I read the book.

I said Suddenly Last Summer.  Oy.

I liked Carolyn's vegan cat story.

All I could think during her story was "I hope you're feeding it regular cat food, because cats need certain nutrients from meat products that they can't get from vegetables".

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3

There were so many ts last night - that were really easy questions.  Sigh.  And, FJ - the writers aren't even trying. 

I was wondering if someone would say Western Wall - that's what I always call it.  Both are right answers. 

• Love 1

I'm obviously going to have an unpopular opinion on this one but here goes: I like Pranjal and think he's kind of attractive.  (Ducks the tomatoes.)  I fully understand why he rubs so many of you the wrong way, and normally all those things would bug me too, so I can't explain it.  I do tend to zone out on the interviews and skip them entirely if I've taped the show - which I did Wednesday and last night - so maybe that's part of it?

I missed FJ - totally didn't get the significance of the date.  And I'm old enough to remember cb radios (had a copy of the single of Convoy, ffs) and the 70s.

• Love 2
On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 6:17 PM, peeayebee said:

What was FJ?

"Before he headed up the Supreme Court, he argued only 1 case before it--a 1796 case he ironically argued on states’ rights grounds."

I know technically there's only one Justice Marshall who fits both the time period and the Chief clues, but I still think it deserved a BMS.

5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm obviously going to have an unpopular opinion on this one but here goes: I like Pranjal and think he's kind of attractive.  (Ducks the tomatoes.) 

Nah, I think he's attractive too, but it doesn't outweigh how much I dislike him. (And this is me blowing a retroactive raspberry at the guy who said I didn't like Chu because he wasn't conventionally attractive.)

Dan really let me down; I liked him a lot and he such a great first round. I agree though, he seemed to go into some kind of shock after he missed those two Broadway clues.

I got the CB radio FJ from Wednesday and of course yesterday's ridiculously easy answer.  When you have Alex openly exclaiming at how easy the final clue is, that's a hint and a half that you're doing it wrong, writers.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

All I could think during her story was "I hope you're feeding it regular cat food, because cats need certain nutrients from meat products that they can't get from vegetables".

So, I missed the story, but I had a friend in university who was vegan, and I found a stray cat that she adopted and wanted him to be vegan too. We looked into it and learned that cats are "obligate carnivores", so she fed him regular cat food. However, I have looked at it since and apparently there are companies that make vegan cat food with synthetic taurine, rather than using animal-sourced taurine. I'm not sure if there are other key ingredients that they do this with as well, but the bottom line is that there is now vegan food for cats that has the nutrients they need - though it's probably expensive and seems to be a bit of a fine line in terms of ensuring their diet is adequate.

• Love 1

Did Alex really say to Ross that his profession must not pay much or he wouldn't be on Jeopardy!?  Did he actually mean to imply that you shouldn't be on J! unless you need money?  That's an odd thing to say even for Alex.

I got arraignment, Basque and bed, and FJ was an instaget for me.  Seemed like the non-Pranjal contestants didn't really understand the clue.

• Love 10

It was a nice even game for the J! round and then Pranjal took right over.  He certainly has a good and wide depth of knowledge.

I did not get FJ.  I am betting it was an instaget for @M. Darcy!

• Love 1

The lesser of three evils won.  I couldn't stand any of them.  Stop starting in the middle of categories!  Mr. Creepy Eyes gives the other contestants who are answering the creepy evil stinkeye.

I have a feeling that Pranjal really studied hard for Jeopardy by reading a lot and has never heard the words.   Hence his hideous mispronounciations, like today's Huge-anots.  If he'd gotten Basques he probably would have said bas-ques.  I'm glad they took "wintering" away from Samantha the Groaner.

I got arrangement, The Fish, the Basques and bed.

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 6

I got FJ immediately, but then realized that I didn't know the name of the "girl". Luckily that didn't matter. (And we don't really know Mona Lisa's either, I suppose.) I cannot think of a single TS that I got. Sad.

I have a feeling that Pranjal really studied hard for Jeopardy by reading a lot and has never heard the words.   Hence his hideous mispronounciations, like today's Huge-anots.  If he'd gotten Basques he probably would have said bas-ques.

I am like that with a LOT of words, having seen them forever in reading, yet never having heard them spoken aloud!

• Love 5

What was FJ?

"Before he headed up the Supreme Court, he argued only 1 case before it--a 1796 case he ironically argued on states’ rights grounds."

Sorry, but I was wondering what FJ was that had to do with Quakers.

This was my first time seeing Panjal. I didn't like his unblinking stare at the opening, but I didn't see anything creepy after that. But this old refrain: I don't like everybody starting in the middle of categories and jumping to other categories. Harumpf.

I got The Fish and bed. Seems there weren't many TSs. FJ was super easy to me, so I was surprised there were two incorrect answers. 

• Love 2

FJ was a total instaget for me.  I was really surprised that the others didn't get it.

I couldn't care less about the starting in the middle of the category but the jumping around especially on every clue like it was this week makes it hard for me to stay focused on what category we are in.  I missed at least one furniture clue because I forgot the furniture category.   I don't think this would be such an issue on the actual show, though.   

Got The Fish and Arraignment, MomBrandy rang in before me on bed so I don't know if I would have come up with that, which was her complaint on my instaget on The Girl With The Pear Earring.   

It is all payback for CB Radio where I totally got the 10-4 reference but couldn't remember what CB radios were called.  I was all "radios" no that isn't specific enough, then "hamm radios" Which are very close but not CB radios.  Sigh.

• Love 1

I liked Samantha, and I've started to like Pranjal (though since the convention messed up more than half of our recordings, I haven't seen him as much and maybe he'd bug by now if I had). But when the guy in the middle started taking a tone when he realized he'd lost, it ticked me off. This is one of the few competitions on American TV where I expect good sportsmanship.

@bybrandy, I'd never related my losing track of the category with jumping around, but I think you just clarified it for me. I'll have to pay attention to the type of play when I lose track (as I did several times in this game).

• Love 3

I was actually rooting for Pranjal last night because I thought Samantha spent way too much time deciding which clue to pick. At least Pranjal chooses 'em quickly. Not getting through the entire board is my #1 Jeopardy pet peeve so I like a contestant who prioritizes speed. Having said that, I sincerely hope we don't get any more runaways for a while, because they're boring.

Considering how effective board-hopping seems to be as a strategy, I guess I'm surprised more people don't do it!

• Love 1

On the repeat that aired today which was from 2014, they had a DD about Cleopatra's Needle and they accepted "The Obelisk" as an answer which I thought was interesting given that a few weeks ago they didn't accept it.

• Love 8
On ‎07‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 5:37 PM, secnarf said:

So, I missed the story, but I had a friend in university who was vegan, and I found a stray cat that she adopted and wanted him to be vegan too. We looked into it and learned that cats are "obligate carnivores", so she fed him regular cat food. However, I have looked at it since and apparently there are companies that make vegan cat food with synthetic taurine, rather than using animal-sourced taurine. I'm not sure if there are other key ingredients that they do this with as well, but the bottom line is that there is now vegan food for cats that has the nutrients they need - though it's probably expensive and seems to be a bit of a fine line in terms of ensuring their diet is adequate.

Her story was about a cat she had who really liked vegetables and would choose them over something like tuna or chicken.  She didn't say the cat didn't eat meat at all, but I sat there thinking about something the tv vet on a local news show said when a caller asked about trying to make her cat a vegetarian: "Don't".  Taurine is the main thing, but there may be other nutrients as well.  I guess I just don't see the point of trying to force an animal who is designed by nature to be a carnivore into not being one.

• Love 3

I got arraignment, Basque and bed, and FJ was an instaget for me.  Seemed like the non-Pranjal contestants didn't really understand the clue.

I got all those except FJ.  I was thrown off by the reference to the Dutch royal collection, thought that the clue wanted someone royal, and discounted Girl With A Pearl Earring as a result.

• Love 2

I guess at least Pranjal didn't tease us with the faint possibility that he might not win. 

I don't remember a lot of TS, but I did get black-eyed Susans.  FJ was fairly easy for me, too.

• Love 4

I can't believe that Pranjal missed that 'Let my people go" DD -- because that was pretty easy.   A heck of a lot simpler than Mt. Pisgah.

It looked like Anthony and Kathy might actually give Pranjal a run for his money, but they petered out pretty early.

What was up with Kathy's voice ?

Pranjal -- please stop the swaying.

I thought those Laika Animation models looked like miniature terminators -- dundun dun dundun.

• Love 6

That was just sad. It wasn't even Pranjal's fault that it was a runaway. Did Pranjal always sway like that?

So many ts's! Although, I must say, I didn't do any better than they did on them.  All I got were Andrew Johnson and Let My People Go, which I think were both missed dd's.

If Kathy had just not guessed - badly - on so many questions she would have been around for FJ. She should have just kept quiet.

Instaget FJ but it was really a guess.

• Love 5

I need someone to beat Pranjal. Stat. I really don't like it when he stares down the other contestants as they give answers. It's creepy.

I thought Kathy sounded really, really nervous. Like about to barf nervous.

TS's I got today were Walter Mondale, David Mamet, Aaron, and Mortal Instruments, plus the missed DD of Let my people go.

• Love 7

Poor Kathy sounded like she was going to start crying.  I wish they'd start counting Pranjal's answers incorrect when he mispronounces them.  Today's prime example - Montay Video.  Asshat.

I got Andrew Johnson and "Let my people go" (I was screaming with glee when Creepy Eyes missed that DD).

Clueless on FJ.

• Love 9

Agree that Kathy's voice was breaking and terrified. Yikes. Cannot BELIEVE he missed "let my people go." He is of my generation, so he should know that one from that episode of "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" when they were in jail and that biker dude sang it operatically.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, helpmerhonda said:

I need someone to beat Pranjal. Stat. I really don't like it when he stares down the other contestants as they give answers. It's creepy.

I was going to mention this exact thing.  It's aggressive, and I really don't like it.

7 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I wish they'd start counting Pranjal's answers incorrect when he mispronounces them.  Today's prime example - Montay Video.  Asshat.

Let's start a petition.

Just before I turned off the TV at the end of today's show, I said, "Get lost, creepazoid," and my husband said "OK" and got up and left the room.  I'm pretty sure he knew I didn't mean him.

• Love 8

Why didn't Alex correct his pronunciation of Montevideo? I mean he corrected the lady's pronunciation of Duck A La Orange....which she said just fine - she actually put a little french accent on the "Orange" but he had to correct it and make it more French...but he lets Monty - Vid- eee-oh go?

I cannot with this guy!! I guess he will be in the TOC which is coming up soon. Boo!

• Love 5

No guess the champ is in the toc--that's a fer sure! But it's not soon--we'll have to wait till next season. And put up with rr of this one, instead of watching Alex as a young'un, which would be so fun! Bye bye boards time almost.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, helpmerhonda said:

It's like "How dare you!"

The swaying was new today, and it's downright scary when he stares into the camera with those cold, dead eyes.  

He is smart though, I'll give him that.  But - Monte Video.  LOL

• Love 4

My now ex was having cell phone issues, and her phone was set to Montevideo. She called me to ask why her phone said "Monty Video," and I couldn't stop laughing for so long that she finally got mad and hung up on me. I don't miss her, and I won't miss this asshat when he's gone.

He is definitely knowledgeable, but his antics are driving me crazy. Stop staring down the other contestants!

• Love 5

The number of ts's was just embarrassing.  I was so hoping that when he bet all his money on that second daily double he was going to miss the question (just because there was no reason to bet that much).

• Love 5

My PBS station is running the series "Jazz" at a time that overlaps Jeopardy.  Aww.  Not.

Since Jeopardy will air reruns for a while, why not choose older episodes instead of the most recent season?  I would enjoy older ones more, since I would not remember the contestants and clues as well.

• Love 3

OK, everybody, you know what I'm excited about?  Laika studios and their new animated feature "Kubo and the Two Strings" which opens in theaters next month (when J! is in reruns.)  The characters were voiced by some of your favorite Hollywood stars!  Apparently there was originally going to be a character with a French accent and the director begged Alex Trebek to do it; they had to rewrite the part when AT declined.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, PaulaO said:

I am boycotting until the runaway is over cuz I can't stand the champ.   But is J! going into reruns?

This is the last week of new episodes 'til the end of summer break, according to my DVR.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I guess at least Pranjal didn't tease us with the faint possibility that he might not win. 

I don't remember a lot of TS, but I did get black-eyed Susans.  FJ was fairly easy for me, too.

18 hours ago, helpmerhonda said:

I thought Kathy sounded really, really nervous. Like about to barf nervous.

TS's I got today were Walter Mondale, David Mamet, Aaron, and Mortal Instruments, plus the missed DD of Let my people go.

I got all of these, plus Andrew Johnson.  (I actually got several of the Vice Presidents correct, missing only Coolidge - and I suck at political categories.)

• Love 2
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

So not only is he still annoying but the games are runaways?  Guess the boycott continues then, drat.

The runaways don't bother me.  Everything else about him does, however.

• Love 5

I missed last week, and only read the archive for last night's game, so I haven't seen this latest contestant to get everyone aggravated.  But y'all are cracking me up with the description of his mispronunciation of Montevideo.

From last night's game, I'm surprised it took three times to get to French's.  I don't even eat mustard, and I knew that one.

I knew David Mamet, but that one didn't particularly surprise me as a TS.  Same with Mondale and black-eyed Susan.  I was just as stumped as the contestants on the book series about teenage demon hunters, Moses' brother, and the mountain he climbed (but I did know "let my people go").  So none of the TS surprised me, which is the first time in a while that's happened.

I almost never watch animated films or shows, and had never heard of Laika, so that was a bad category for me; I think I only got two (but I was just reading rather than watching the Clue Crew video, so I don't know whether that would have helped). 

I'm very annoyed only two sports nicknames clues were revealed.

• Love 2