Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I missed most of this match due to a thunderstorm interrupting my satellite reception, but upon checking the archive, it looks like I might've done pretty well.  I had no clue on FJ, though.  All I could come up with was Robert Fulton, and I knew that wasn't correct.

(edited)
7 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I looked up Eastman--he blew his brains out.

Shot himself in the heart, according to Wikipedia.

Did anyone else cringe at the "Bye Rachel, Couple" category? Awkward.

I thought that was rather amusing, didn't really see anything wrong with it. 

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

I only half paid attention to this game, since I am packing up my apartment, but for FJ I had immediately said Washington, and then I wavered between California and Arizona (thinking of the Grand Canyon). Oh well.

From what I saw, I liked the new champ.

• Love 2

Christie needs to stop it with the swaying, buzzer flailing and not starting at the tops of categories.  I am sad to see Harris go (although he did his fair share of not starting at the top). 

I got Alfred Molina, spruce, Ron Kovic, Person of Interest, and dwarf planet (Pluto, you'll always be a planet to me!).

FJ wasn't quite an instaget, but it was close.

• Love 6

I'm sorry to see Harris go but the new champ seems nice enough and is pretty sharp.

I got California right away but then chose Oregon instead of Washington.

My ts's were spruce, Person of Interest, and elephant.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Christie needs to stop it with the swaying, buzzer flailing and not starting at the tops of categories.  I am sad to see Harris go (although he did his fair share of not starting at the top). 

I got Alfred Molina, spruce, Ron Kovic, Person of Interest, and dwarf planet (Pluto, you'll always be a planet to me!).

FJ wasn't quite an instaget, but it was close.

This, exactly.  Same TS and everything.  I was terrified Christie would win.  I got nauseated watching her sway.  I hope she's a one and done.

That Tin Pan Alley DD was waaay too easy.  Best GG (Goofy Guess) in a long time - planet-like rock.

• Love 5

I was overthinking FJ, too. At first I thought they meant the two states were contiguous to each other so I first said Washington and Oregon. But as I thought about it I realized one must be California and the other had to be Washington. But I still wasn't sure of it due to my erroneous assumption.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I'm not fond of the new champ at all.  She makes me seasick to watch her.

Harris reminded me of the clean version of Billy Bob Thornton.

I got a lot of the TS's mentioned above, but not FJ. I agree the wording of the clue was confusing.

I hope Christie calms down a bit and stops swaying. I don't dislike her, though.

Harris reminded me of the character actor David Wayne: 

dw-inl3.gif

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ABay said:

I ran the Lost & Found category. Ben 4 Evah! 

I was fan of Ben, and also a Desmond fan -- that was a creative category, because I had no idea what it would be until the first clue. Kudos to the writers -- for once.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Trey said:

I don't know why the above quote thing showed up in this post too but I can't get rid of it.

Press ctrl, then right click inside the quote. You'll get a list of options, one of which is to remove the quote. Sometimes it helps, being fumble-fingered on the keyboard!

1 hour ago, Albino said:

Dear Christie,

In the immortal words of Elaine Benes, as said to her physical therapist Wendy:  "You might wanna do something about that hair."

It is pretty clearly a wig - so I gave her a pass due to some of the reasons she might need one.

My brain was not functioning today, and I had a lot of "tip of the tongue" moments.

• Love 4

I always have a lot of "tip of the tongue" moments. Alfred Molina (one of my fav actors), Ceylon, Ron Kovic... some others. I did get Person of Interest (though I've never watched), The 100 (don't watch), dwarf planet... Seems like there were a couple more.

I didn't really get FJ. I immediately said California, then my BIL said Oregon, and my sister said Washington, so I didn't say anything. I honestly can't say what I would have guessed. (When I watch with them, I don't take note of what I get right.)

I don't mind the new champ, but then I wasn't paying complete attention. I always have tomorrow to get annoyed!

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, clanstarling said:

It is pretty clearly a wig - so I gave her a pass due to some of the reasons she might need one.

Just checked out her pic on the Jeopardy website and you're right!  Never thought of that...which is weird since my own hair is just now growing back from chemo.  

Even so...it was just so Lee Meriwether in Barnaby Jones, but different strokes I guess.  Overall I like her...she's smart!

• Love 6

I'm gonna miss Harris. I agree he had a great smile

For FJ I immediately got WA, was leaning toward Maine but luckily chose CA instead.

Count me among the Person of Interest fans. I got that TS, Ron Kovic and another one I can't recall.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Albino said:

Just checked out her pic on the Jeopardy website and you're right!  Never thought of that...which is weird since my own hair is just now growing back from chemo.  

Don't sweat it, Albino. Somehow I don't think either you or I would have selected that particular style as our chemo "hair" of choice!

• Love 5
(edited)
9 hours ago, Albino said:

Even so...it was just so Lee Meriwether in Barnaby Jones, but different strokes I guess.  Overall I like her...she's smart!

I agree, it was indeed very Lee Meriwether. I wouldn't choose it either. Maybe it was a gift? I like her too.

"48 contiguous states" is something I learned as a kid, and for some reason is rock solid in my mind (despite my brain not working), so I ruled out Alaska. I waffled between CA and WA, or CA and OR, but chose the right combo. My husband had the same confusion others mentioned, so maybe it was better I didn't carefully read the clue.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, clanstarling said:

"48 contiguous states" is something I learned as a kid, and for some reason is rock solid in my mind (despite my brain not working), so I ruled out Alaska. I waffled between CA and WA, or CA and OR, but chose the right combo. My husband had the same confusion others mentioned, so maybe it was better I didn't carefully read the clue.

I didn't read the clue carefully either because I immediately knew that ruled out Alaska and Hawaii. Maybe in the phrase "Of the contiguous states," 48 goes without saying. If it was "Of contiguous states," then it would mean any bordering states.

• Love 4

I think it's really only confusing if you're not very familiar with "the contiguous states" as a phrase. For me, hearing that phrase automatically means the 48 excluding Alaska and Hawaii, so I didn't think too much (at all) about that part of the clue, but if I wasn't as familiar with the phrase, I probably would have been lost. I agree though, it wouldn't have been hard at all to add in "48" and would have made the wording much clearer.

• Love 3

I know that contiguous means Hawaii and Alaska are out, but the way they worded the clue I was puzzled if the states they wanted were next to each other.  By the time I figured it out, time was up, but I did blurt out the answers before Alex did.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Albino said:

That's who she reminded me of.

I answered "that Ron guy", and what do you think the chances are that they'd have accepted "dwarf planetoid"?

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

and what do you think the chances are that they'd have accepted "dwarf planetoid"?

The chances are about as good as if they would have accepted my answer of "Junior planet".  I knew junior wasn't right but dwarf just wouldn't come to me.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

I grew up in California, now live in Oregon, and went to Mt. Rainier a couple years ago so FJ was easy for me. If the clue didn't include "coastal," I probably wouldn't have done well though  

I loved Harris's interview story. He took a relatively mundane thing and made it interesting. I don't always look closely at the contestants, so I didn't notice the new champ's movements. I appreciated her breadth of knowledge though. 

• Love 1
(edited)

IF THE DAILY DOUBLE IS GONE WHY CAN'T THEY START AT THE TOP OF THE CATEGORY?

Sorry, I don't mean to shout but it's their fault.

I'm so mad they didn't finish the Red Auerbach category.  I blame Christie with her constant hemming and hawing and her odd editorializing about Kristie MacNicol.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 8

Hooray for Shyanlee!  I'm sure I butchered the spelling of her name, but I couldn't really watch because of the swaying and the not starting at the tops of categories.  I mostly listened, so didn't really see her name. 

I got Schuylkill (and can't spell that, either -- no idea if that's right), Cleopatra's needle and Belvedere Castle.

• Love 4

I blame Christie with her constant hemming and hawing and her odd editorializing about Kristie MacNicol.

Well. she won't be doing it again, not on Jeopardy!, anyhow. I hadn't really taken to Christie so I am fine with having a new champion.

I got the ts's of polar bear and Cleopatra's Needle.  I can't believe Christie said Cleopatra's obelisk instead of needle.

Did not get FJ. Movies and their awards are not a strong category for me.

• Love 2
(edited)

I know other champs have been hated more (not by me though).  I couldn't stand Christie.  I cheered when she got the first answer of the game wrong (the DD).  That's what you get for not starting at the top!  Thank you Shyamlee for pulling out the win!  I loved the purple hair, too.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 11

Yesterday I posted that I thought Christie was smart.  Today...not so much.  Forget about all the wrong answers...what the hell was that wager at FJ?  What was her thinking?  It only works if Shyamlee is wrong.  If Christie had made a bigger bet she would have won because Shyamlee's wager was also a WTF for me.

I enjoyed Shyamlee's story about her Jeopardy pre-interview!

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, SierraMist said:

I know other champs have been hated more (not by me though).  I couldn't stand Christie.  I cheered when she got the first answer of the game wrong (the DD).  That's what you get for not starting at the top!  Thank you Shyamlee for pulling out the win!  I loved the purple hair, too.

Yes!  I was actively rooting against her and cheered every time she got an answer wrong.  Not only was she swaying and flailing but today she had the extra added attraction of giggling and editorializing after answers.

The new champ's hair looked pink to me.  Must be my TV.

I got Schuylkill River and polar bear.

I had to look up the FJ movie.  Never heard of it.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I blame Christie with her constant hemming and hawing and her odd editorializing about Kristie MacNicol.

Actually, she didn't.... she was responding to Alex's remark.

Her wig actually reminded me more of Kitty Carlisle (whom I just loved!)  When I was a little kid watching To Tell the Truth I thought Kitty was just the most glamorous lady I'd ever seen :-)

• Love 3

I got FJ. I wasn't sure of the year, but I knew The Artist got Best Picture Oscar and figured it would have gotten the French equivalent.

I also got Cleopatra's Needle. I first heard of it several years ago on some British comedy show, either The Benny Hill Show or maybe the original Whose Line. The comedian called it Cleopatras's Noodle. I didn't get the joke because I'd never heard of Cleopatra's Needle. 

• Love 2

Luckily I remembered the Artist as a cute French silent film that won the Oscar. I watched because it won the Oscar. Well, now I just remember the dog.  

I'm glad Christie is gone. I was getting sick just watching her rocking back and forth.

• Love 3

The Cleopatra's Needle I've seen is in London.  I didn't realize there was one in Central Park.   I looked it up and there's apparently one in Paris, too.  Learn something new everyday because of Jeopardy!  And now I remember hearing about that FJ movie because of the cute dog.

• Love 5
(edited)

They really needed a BMS on that Springfield clue -- there are many, many Springfields in the U.S., but AT tosses in Illinois for good measure.

National Labour Statistics Bureau does not equal the BLS.  That was WAAAAAY too generous.

Christie is pretty bad at this -- slow to choose, rocking back and forth, and flailing around.  Her rocking is especially annoying.

AT tells Christie about her Galapogos story that sharks are dangerous, but rays are nothing to worry about -- tell that to Steve Irwin.

Come on Christie, sure Nimitz was a famous admiral, but Rickover was the father of the nuclear sub program.  Christie was making some really bad guesses in the Jeopardy round. Maybe if Christie would hurry the heck up they would have got to those last 5 clues in the Jeopardy round.  But no, she has to go out of her way to tell AT that McNichol is spelled differently than both 'nickel' and 'tickle' -- does Christie not know how rhyming works ?

Finally, a BMS on 'the obelisk' by Christie -- swing and a miss Christie.  But how did she even get a BMS -- obelisk wasn't even one of the words in Cleopatra's Needle ?  That's like getting a clue along the lines of "This is the state capital of Nevada ?" and someone initially answers "What is the Town ?", and after AT asks for a BMS they answer "What is Carson Town ?".

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 9