Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

• Start Topic

No one stood out to me. No one made me feel for them. Right now I feel no connection to this show.

I found Cal to be compelling. In a few minutes of screentime in the diner I found him interesting. I couldn't decide if he was going to be ultimately bad or good or enigmatic,which was a good thing to me. Too bad he didn't make it out of the pilot. I would have been far more interested in how a drug dealer would survive the ZA than this angsty Walking Depp and his annoying family. Although I love Kim Dickens, I don't like her so far in this. She has the chops to do much more than alternate between worried and annoyed stressed out Mom.

• Love 6

Michonne? Carol? How are these horribly written characters that make you wish they would die?  I don't see this pattern of horrid writing for females that you see.

Lori....Andrea...and Carol back in the day....

• Love 4

Slow and kind of boring at times, but I was kind of expecting that to be honest.  I think I'll really get a better sense of this show once shit hits the fan, and we see these characters reacting to all the craziness.  I'm not saying it needs to have Walkers all the time (even the mothership got away with walker-lite episodes), but it just lacked any urgency or compelling drama.  It basically felt like a typical, cliched family drama show, with anvils about something to come (kids are getting the flu!  Sirens!  Why is boyfriend not answering back?!), but it kind of just plodded along until Walker Calvin showed up (which sucks, since he was one of my favorite characters.)  Also, while I didn't dislike any of the characters too badly, no one really stood out.  I still remember how much I was fascinated with Morgan and his plight in The Walking Dead pilot.  Here, only one that somewhat grabbed me was Nick.

I do love both Kim Dickens and Cliff Curtis, so I hope they are given better material.  Madison though, could be very frustrating, especially when she kept ignoring or arguing with Travis' reasonable points.  Travis is a bit "too good to be true", but I guess it's nice to have one decent guy amongst all this.  The actor playing Nick was great; didn't know he was Stephen Dillane's son.  Alycia Debnam-Carey was awesome as Lexa on The 100, so I hope the Alicia character moves past the typical "unruly teen who hates everyone, the world, etc.) soon.  I do think she is someone who could go places once the shit hits the fan, so I'm hopeful.  Maybe it will end with her slapping on some eye-liner and getting Lexa on some walkers!

Still, it's only six episodes, right?  I'll watch it all, and go from there.  The previews do make it look like they are picking up the pace very soon.

I'm sorry if this seems like an obnoxious question, but will there be a dual-forum like GoT "book talk/no book talk" for "Discussion WITH TWD Refs" and "Discussion WITHOUT TWD Refs" - because I haven't seen TWD yet, but plan to binge one of these days. I know I'm way late to the game, but I'm still spectacularly unspoiled for the majority of its run and I hoped to stay that way, at least a little while longer.

• Love 4
I think a lot of people are interested in exactly how the world fell apart.  We have the general idea, thanks to years of speculating on message boards, but Kirkman very specifically skipped over that part of the story along with the cause because it never seemed to interest him.  The little nuggets we got from the mother show, like the napalming of downtown Atlanta, have been tantalizing for viewers like me who only marginally care about the zombies and gore and are much more interested in the dystopia of the world ending and what comes after.

It's interesting people care. I'm not into TWD for the zombies, I like to see what happens to society, how individuals/groups react to it and how society changes as a result. But TWD already answers those questions way beyond where FTWD is in the ZA timeline. I can't see what FTWD will give us beyond new characters, who will ultimately end up reacting the same ways as various characters we have already met and dealt with on TWD. You would have to be invested in these new characters, I think, to care. But I don't need more characters. I need more plot development. That's why I'm not watching FTWD (though I am enjoying reading these comments).

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 2

I went into it with very low expectations.  I love TWD and have missed Zombie Sundays, so I was happy to have that routine back.  Thus, I actually quite enjoyed it.  I didn't mind it being slow.  IMO, this is a set-up job of normal life that will shortly be going to pot due to the ZA, so I'm willing to go another episode without much action.  Plus, there is something infinitely tragic looking at these people dealing with varying levels of life in the "real world" knowing very well that it is all about to be over, that the majority of the people they know are going to die.  It isn't something the story in TWD provided, so I'm liking it here.

I'm willing to let the characters grow on me.  I didn't much like anyone but Glenn, Morgan and maybe Rick the first few episodes, but outside of Andrea, Lori and Gabriel, I grew to like them all (MMV on some of them, but I like them).  The main couple didn't stand out to me, but Curtis Cliff always brings good work, so I'll let that unfold.  For me, Nick was a revelation.  The clothes were tragic, which worked for me b/c he's a junkie, so fashion isn't high on the list.  The look of pure terror on his face as he ran in his girl's ivory shrug was kind of awesome.  I also liked his interactions with everyone; it felt like an elevated scene when he was working with someone.  Color me impressed by the actor.  I liked learning in this thread that the actor is Stannis' kid.  I respect that actor as well.

I too thought hot Cal was wasted.  I loved finding out he was Nick's drug dealer, especially since we met him sweetly vacuuming his parent's van.  I liked him being the first walker these guys meet.   While I agree the reactions were understated, I almost appreciate it.  Like, my brain would be in overdrive if I saw something like that and I don't know that I'd be screaming.   I think I'd be in a state of shock, wondering if I'm crazy.  I almost wanted Nick to ask, "so, that's happening right?  Like, not a drug induced thing or a crazy person thing that only I am seeing?!". 

I just love that we know way more than these people at this point.  TWD had us being schooled on the rules of this world as Rick learned them, whereas in this series we're the "experts".  I'm loving screaming at my TV.  "GET IN THE FREAKING TRUCK!!!"  "WHY are y'all wandering through that church?!"  "Don't take chubby's knife away!  He's going to need it!"

I'm in.  Nothing else on a Sunday night, and excited to have zombies prior to October.  

• Love 11

I am enjoying the different venue; the seedier sides of L.A. should make for some interesting locales.  I'm willing to get to know the characters, just as I have with other new shows.  It's just so nice to have something else to look forward to on Sunday nights.  :-)

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 5

Not nitpicky when they are driving around with a cracked windshield that wouldn't pass inspection. Said windshield is completely replaced during the shots of them driving down the viaduct.

To be nitpicky, CA only requires a smog inspection, not a safety inspection.  A cracked windshield can get you a ticket, but that's about it.  

• Love 2

I am enjoying the different venue; the seeder sides of L.A. should make for some interesting locales.  I'm willing to get to know the characters, just as I have with other new shows.  It's just so nice to have something else to look forward to on Sunday nights.  :-)

The scenes in Skid Row probably intrigued me most upon learning about this show, as those areas aren't often depicted in movies and TV.  I like the idea of exploring how a junkie would survive this - their whole world is basically 100% shit all the time anyway, so what happens when the rest of society falls as well?  I'm also curious to see if there are any big differences to how people have survived the ZA in other parts of the country.  I wonder how long it will be until everyone figures out that nothing stops walkers short of brain penetration?

I really hope that we don't learn much more about the virus itself.  What we learned from the CDC episode of TWD was helpful, and it was plenty.  I don't want this to turn into The Last Ship and a race for the cure.  I watch these shows to see people struggling to survive in a broken down world.  I don't want to see that world saved.

• Love 4

I think the Baby Gap cardigan belonged to the zombie girlfriend who looked like Miley Cyrus. Not sure why you would wake up from a drug induced haze, realize your girlfriend is missing and then grab for her sweater but I also can't digest beef so what do I know

The mothers car was just as old as the pick up truck. I thought it was pretty realistic considering they were both educators in one of the most expensive states in the country. 

I also get the slow reaction to freak out. With the world as it is today it is easy to fake videos, make up news etc. So it made sense to me that the daughter would think what she was seeing was fake.  In the pilot there was no breaking news alert warning people something strange was happening. As far as THE BEST LOOKING WALKER EVER (Cal) I would be in stunned disbelief as well. Nick take them back to the scene, Cal is gone. They see him walking toward them but nothing in them would say "he must be a zombie" because they have no idea people are reanimating. Nick is the only one so far who has seen it up close and personal and he even thinks it was just bad drugs. I think once the world starts warning people the sheer panic will start to look more realistic.

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet or not but I wonder who stabbed LOOKS LIKE MILEY CYRUS ZOMBIE

• Love 4

I like the truck. I get the truck. The first scene we have with Travis and Maddie shows Travis trying to fix the kitchen plumbing to save them $300. A school teacher and a guidance counselor would not be swimming in cash, especially if one of them is also paying child support, which I'm pretty sure would be the deal with Travis and his ex-wife. Both my father and my brother owned a pick-up truck, and they each owned their own home in a settled housing development, not out in the country. The truck always came in handy for helping with hauling loads of home/lawn repair stuff. To be honest, I didn't notice the cracked windshield, but the sight of a beat-up, well-used pick-up would not make me gasp.

I didn't noticed the cracked windshield either, but I have to add that I was overly excited to note that the truck had the right vintage of California license plate on it.  

• Love 3

This is really bugging me: Nick left Dead Cal next to his car at edge of the L.A. River.  Later, the teachers and Nick drive the truck all the way through the tunnel to where the car is, they find the car but not Cal's body, and then they start backing the truck down the tunnel  -- when suddenly Walker Cal shows up in the tunnel behind them!  Where was the hell was he when they went through minutes before?

Edited by apollonia666
  • Love 2
I'm sorry if this seems like an obnoxious question, but will there be a dual-forum like GoT "book talk/no book talk" for "Discussion WITH TWD Refs" and "Discussion WITHOUT TWD Refs" - because I haven't seen TWD yet, but plan to binge one of these days. I know I'm way late to the game, but I'm still spectacularly unspoiled for the majority of its run and I hoped to stay that way, at least a little while longer.

Good question. From what I understand, this series is standalone and is not based on any of TWD comics or characters. It's also set when - in WD timelines, Rick was technically comatose in the hospital. So there should be no overlaps at all. The only thing I can see is ONE thread comparing the behaviours and reactions and survival abilities and behaviors between FTWD and TWD. Other than that, no Walking Dead references (aka spoilers) should be here in any of the episode threads.

• Love 2

Actually, The Walking Dead has shown dead bodies in cars stranded on the road as they moved along that didn't turn when they died.  So not everyone must have been infected in the beginning if people evacuating the cities died in their cars and didn't turn.

And this is vaguely related to the moment when I decided to respect Travis and think there might be hope for him, despite the way he blundered into the church.  There was that traffic pile-up, and he ducked the truck out of it and didn't wait.  That's going to be a major survival-instinct sort of move in the future.  (Me?  I'd STILL be in that traffic jam a week later when a horde comes through.)  

• Love 1

Good question. From what I understand, this series is standalone and is not based on any of TWD comics or characters. It's also set when - in WD timelines, Rick was technically comatose in the hospital. So there should be no overlaps at all. The only thing I can see is ONE thread comparing the behaviours and reactions and survival abilities and behaviors between FTWD and TWD. Other than that, no Walking Dead references (aka spoilers) should be here in any of the episode threads.

Ooops... I think I just violated that... but maybe not?  If so, I apologize.  But it does make me wonder if we really ought to have a TWD-informed thread and an unsullied thread for the episodes.  This could get really messy.  Character deaths from TWD are easy to avoid talking about, but the larger themes and stuff about the world in general seem like they're really easy to bring up as an unintentional "of course", without even realizing that it's happening.  

Just spitballin' here.  :-)

• Love 5

Nick's shirt took me out of the opening scene completely. I kept wondering how high he had to have been to put on something like that. Also, are junkies shooting up in abandoned buildings usually so well groomed and fit? Where was the gaunt, caved in chest and scabs that normal heroin users develop?

You've hit the nail on the head right there. I firmly believe, with no evidence, that the scene was originally meant to have a fully clothed Nick running for his life. But then some clever crew member realized that Frank Dillane is pretty fit and decided that the scene made more sense with him wearing a girl's shrug and no shirt. Maybe they made him try on a bunch of different sweaters. "No. That's too baggy. I need more. More skin! Someone go to Gap kids!" I'm not mad. While apparently everyone else was getting distracted by an unfortunate sweater, I was able to focus on what really mattered in the scene. His glorious shirtless-ness.

Maybe they were trying to make a statement. Like, Nick doesn't conform to any sweater gender normative bs. If he wants to wear a cropped sweater and baggy jeans he will do it! He might wear a skort in the next episode with an Ed Hardy shirt in the next episode. 

Let's face it, if the worst thing a junkie did was wear a questionable sweater, the world would be an awesome place.

• Love 9

Actually, The Walking Dead has shown dead bodies in cars stranded on the road as they moved along that didn't turn when they died.  So not everyone must have been infected in the beginning if people evacuating the cities died in their cars and didn't turn.

This does not negate the fact that people who had been attacked and were ill with the "flu" would flock to the hospitals, especially parents with all those ill children who were not in school. The "flu" according to Tobias was already spreading across the country and it is was on the Internet. He had that knife to protect himself and understood that society as they knew it was basically over which suggests that people were reanimating and going on killing sprees wherever the "flu" was so there should already been people reanimating in hospital when Nick was there. There also should have been government action warnings by now.

As for that particular scene of dead bodies on the highway, based on what was implied at on Talking Dead, it was a mistake by the producers early on. I cannot remember which producer, but it was suggested that there were head injuries that we could not see which was of course, is ridiculous.

Edited by SimoneS

I'm not sure what I liked least- the mind-numbingly slow pace of the story, or the numerous times they tried to "tease" a dramatic moment with amped up music and quick cuts, only to go right back to the endless doldrums immediately thereafter.

Well, I'll give it another chance since this was all very slow set up, but I did have to laugh at how the director kept teasing us by making us think zombies were going to pop out at any time but never did.  The old man in the other hospital bed, the principal when he was hunched over the PA system, both trips (how dumb was that?) the parents made to the drug church... weren't you all waiting for zombies?  

I don't see how anyone doesn't know that this show has zombies in it, but since it's supposed to stand alone, this kind of shitty fake-out is lazy writing. Once zombies have been firmly established as possibly popping up, say, in the local high school administrators's secret surveillance office (what?), this shouldn't be here. Clever writing references other material covertly, underneath the surface. Not by shining a damn spotlight on it!

I tend to disagree.

I find it difficult enough to keep track of a bunch of new characters in a pilot as it is. If they started with a larger cast it would inevitably lead to confusion as to who was who. Even when sorted out, a number of them would just be known by labels and not names.

As it is, if they hadn't said Calvin's name about a million times, he'd be Drug Dealer Walker. The only other character whose name I remember is Nick, and his name was mentioned about two million times. For the rest, I have Mom, Dad, daughter, daughter's boyfriend, Dad's ex-wife, Dad's son by first marriage, school principal (I think), kid who brought knife to school, zombie chick in opening scene, etc.

Half of the characters with memorable names are now dead. Not a great start.

I thought it was pretty good, not great. Then again, I was busy doing stuff and wasn't just sitting there and watching, so I didn't mind the slowish pace. I still don't get how the zombies make civilization fall in TWD, I hope this show clears it up. In the real world the authorities actually would be able to contain something like this, I mean for the most part the zombies can't get you if you just stay inside and lock the door... here, the hospital already knows the dead are rising, hence the "get this guy downstairs right now." I'm not sure what's going on downstairs, but it probably involves something like an icepick lobotomy. That's why the hospital isn't overrun, for all of you who are wondering. They know, it's being covered up. Which . . . why?

Was it me? Or did these people seem weirdly calm after running a man over twice and having that man still get up?

They seemed really calm about their kid who just shot and killed his friend Calvin, if you ask me. They're like, "okay, let's go take a look." That's probably not how I'd respond to my kid telling me he'd just shot his drug dealer. I'd be thinking, is he going to shoot someone else? Is he going to get shot himself? Is he going to shoot me? They're just like, "shit happens, it's LA." Rough school indeed.

This was a little slow for me, and I just kept thinking..."Caprica," the prequel series to Battlestar Galactica.  I have a lot of built-in anticipation as a viewer, it's tough to be patient when you know this big thing is going to happen, especially when I'm not instantly feeling any of the characters offered up thus far.

This reminded me so much of Caprica I watched a couple episodes immediately after the show! Not a good sign. Even after last night, there are a couple episodes of Caprica sitting unwatched on my 4 year old TiVo. I think about it and watch one every six months or so, but after a fantastic start Caprica just failed to hold my interest, and when they burned the rest of the episodes off in one day I never got around to finishing the marathon. Let's hope Fear doesn't end up the same way. I'm glad it's a short season - I felt like Caprica could have been great with an 8 episode order covering the same material.

The dramatic premise told through family drama reminds me of Humans. Not coincidentally, it was in this time slot on this channel last week. I really liked that show. The teenage daughter is almost the exactly the same character on both shows, though, and looks the same too. I worry that AMC is getting formulaic. Robots and zombies, what's next? An alien invasion/occupation told from the point of view of a middle class family with Lifetime issues and a third identical brunette 17 year old daughter?

Actually, I would watch that show, so why not?

• Love 1
The scenes in Skid Row probably intrigued me most upon learning about this show, as those areas aren't often depicted in movies and TV.

That threw me off because the church is on the same street as my boyfriend's house in Silverlake.  They did a great job with the exterior, which we walked by a few times (it wasn't marked as being for this show, though), but it was still a bit odd that they tried to take it to a Skid Row place.  And I wasn't sure about the interior, because it seemed at one point like it was supposed to be a church, then I thought they had rooms with a stairwell more like an abandoned apartment building.  I dunno, little things that were distracting.    

Ooops... I think I just violated that... but maybe not?  If so, I apologize.  But it does make me wonder if we really ought to have a TWD-informed thread and an unsullied thread for the episodes.  This could get really messy.  Character deaths from TWD are easy to avoid talking about, but the larger themes and stuff about the world in general seem like they're really easy to bring up as an unintentional "of course", without even realizing that it's happening.  

Just spitballin' here.  :-)

No worries. Because this spinoff is new, we're all just figuring out the inevitable posting rules for FTWD and to protect others from being spoiled. We could have a separate episode thread for each episode, but I just don't see that much traffic right now. I think a thread that compares/discusses the two worlds though is needed - spoilers and all. I think for the episode threads, I guess it has to be no mention of TWD at all - aka "The Clarks did ABC but CDB did XYZ".

(Still blown away one of you has never watched TWD at all but plans to...that's like 5-6 SEASONS to watch. That's a lot!!)

Anyway, so how about for now, while were are sorting out things, lets say there should be no reference to The Walking Dead in the episode threads.. Morgankobi or whoever wants to, if you want, create a standalone thread to compare both shows. If not, I'll do it tomorrow. If we find that too much overlap is occuring (I don't think it will), then we will have two episode threads (plus the Live chat). Thanks guys.

And this is vaguely related to the moment when I decided to respect Travis and think there might be hope for him, despite the way he blundered into the church.  There was that traffic pile-up, and he ducked the truck out of it and didn't wait.  That's going to be a major survival-instinct sort of move in the future.  (Me?  I'd STILL be in that traffic jam a week later when a horde comes through.)  

I thought he decided to leave the scene when he heard the gunshots.  I was happy to see someone get away from danger rather then deciding to get out and film it with their phone.  Like, ooh, gunshots, let me get really close.  

I’m going to fanwank that Nick has a fetish for wearing other people’s clothing.  In the first scene, he is wearing a woman’s bolero top.  Later he steals the dead guy’s clothing.  Maybe in each episode we’ll get to play a game of guess who’s clothing Nick is going to wear.

• Love 5
I’m going to fanwank that Nick has a fetish for wearing other people’s clothing.  In the first scene, he is wearing a woman’s bolero top.  Later he steals the dead guy’s clothing.  Maybe in each episode we’ll get to play a game of guess who’s clothing Nick is going to wear.

I'm hoping he steals a different horrendously ugly outfit every episode. Next week - green plaid golf pants!

• Love 11

I'm another one who thought I saw young Johnny Depp.

I've always had a thing for Cliff Curtis so it's nice to see him playing Travis.  I would like a little more backstory on why he left his wife, who, on the surface, I find more attractive than Kim Dickens  (who is also attractive but there's something about the way she sets her mouth that bugs me).  Also, I can't understand why he's so hooked on his step family and not more concerned about his own son.  No wonder the kid didn't want to see him. 

Alicia bugged at first because I thought she was just going to be another whiny teenage bitch, but she kind of grew on me later on.

I'm sorry that fine young Calvin had to go.  Writers, please don't kill Tobias.

I'm in, especially since it's only six weeks.

Well, I guess the consensus is that this was at best an uneven ep and at worst, a boring one.

I don't know why this show and others lately are going the dysfunctional family route.  We have the about to be stepdad that the kids don't like.  The dad's kid doesn't like him.  The kids barely listen to their mom.  The son is a drug addict and the daughter is the self-involved teen who doesn't care about her brother. 

Why couldn't we just have a functional family?  I think that would be more interesting and more rootable. 

We know that probably we will get the cliché scenes of stepdad being accepted by his stepkids because of his brave defense of them against walkers.  The Mom will garner the same from her kids defending them.  The stepson and daughter will grow out of their self-involved fog as they face apocalyptic challenges.  The son will want to be with his father.  The sister will compliment her brother. 

None of this is new and I hope this show can avoid some of this.

Also, I realize the characters can't know what's going on, but since we do, they could have at least made them smart.  They seemed to make the wrong decision every time or acted clueless.

Lastly, none of the main four characters look they are ready to survive the ZA.  Rick and Shane were cops and Darrell could use a bow.  These four look like early roadkill.

Edited by Jordan27
  • Love 4

I'm hoping he steals a different horrendously ugly outfit every episode. Next week - green plaid golf pants!

I LIKE THIS.  Let's hope we see a flowery old-lady muumuu, a sparkly gold lame jacket (with matching shoes), and crocheted '70s jump suit at some point.

• Love 4

Lastly, none of the main four characters look they are ready to survive the ZA.  Rick and Shane were cops and Darrell could use a bow.  These four look like early roadkill.

I think we'll see how much luck plays into this.  Seeing Walker Cal is probably the best thing that could have happened to them.  That's an early warning to take this seriously, and to see just how hard Walkers are to kill.  Video is one thing, experience is another.  Any bit of knowledge is going to give you a leg up, especially in these early days.

("Walker Cal" now has me thinking "Cal Walkington and his dog Spot!"  That's for you old-time California natives, just to get into the spirit of the show's location.)

• Love 6

I was interested but can't say I was riveted. Right now I just see this as something to tide me over until TWD premieres in October. So this is like weak methadone until Walter White's blue sky meth arrives back on the streets. So I just waiting to relapse here.

Frankly, I find this a rather ambitious show. I think it is incredibly hard (and likely expensive) to portray civilization in the throes of an apocalypse. If you think about it all TWD has to show is empty streets, abandoned cars and homes with some evidence of neglect, decay and ruin and they avoid a lot of that because they film the majority of the time in the sticks with a few forays into cities like Atlanta. With this show, they need to show mass panic and rioting, the exodus, government response and subsequent collapse, end of tv/cellphone (all communication), etc. Basically they have to show the world fail. Good luck. 

He ran in such a girly way with his hair flowing behind him.

Every time when the promo aired it took me several seconds to realize that it wasn't A&E airing a topless girl in a rayon blouse flowing in the wind. Every Time! I will say that I thought he was the best thing on the show and I didn't expect to feel that way. If every there was a best freaked out and running for dear life award - he deserves the trophy! 

I know if I had just seen that, my reaction would have been more than "ugh. What the hell is going on?"

This bothered me to no end. You would think that the character just got back a dress from the dry cleaners with an imprint of an iron burned into it instead of seeing a corpse reanimate after seeing it be run over by 2 ton truck - twice! 

I will add to the chorus - Cal was fine! 

• Love 1

No worries. Because this spinoff is new, we're all just figuring out the inevitable posting rules for FTWD and to protect others from being spoiled. We could have a separate episode thread for each episode, but I just don't see that much traffic right now. I think a thread that compares/discusses the two worlds though is needed - spoilers and all. I think for the episode threads, I guess it has to be no mention of TWD at all - aka "The Clarks did ABC but CDB did XYZ".

(Still blown away one of you has never watched TWD at all but plans to...that's like 5-6 SEASONS to watch. That's a lot!!)

Anyway, so how about for now, while were are sorting out things, lets say there should be no reference to The Walking Dead in the episode threads.. Morgankobi or whoever wants to, if you want, create a standalone thread to compare both shows. If not, I'll do it tomorrow. If we find that too much overlap is occuring (I don't think it will), then we will have two episode threads (plus the Live chat). Thanks guys.

FWIW, if I'm the only one (and I very well may be) you certainly don't have to change the format. I can obv. avoid these discussions until after I've 'caught up'. I blew through 5 seasons of Breaking Bad over a couple of weeks so it shouldn't be too terrible. :) Appreciate the response, though. Thank you so much.

PS For a WD newbie? virgin?, I found this pilot rather boring - but I do look forward to seeing how it all began and spread. Early days of armageddon are always interesting.

Edited by marcee
  • Love 1

I must admit that I found the writing for the leads a bit clunky. They all acted like they were stupid or something. Each character completely ignored what the other told it to do. I sure hope the scripts improve. I love TWD and was looking for a show to help tide me over until it starts in October.

FWIW, if I'm the only one (and I very well may be) you certainly don't have to change the format. I can obv. avoid these discussions until after I've 'caught up'. I blew through 5 seasons of Breaking Bad over a couple of weeks so it shouldn't be too terrible. :) Appreciate the response, though. Thank you so much.

PS For an WD newbie, I found this pilot rather boring - but I do look forward to seeing how it all began and spread. Early days of armageddon are always interesting.

I think a separate thread for comparison is apt here, as opposed to say, Better Call Saul where Breaking Bad discussion runs rampant in every episode thread. There, many characters and situations tie to the first show directly. This exists in the same universe as the Mother Ship, but that's about it.

I can't seem to think of a thread name funny enough to be worthwhile...any ideas?

• Love 1

I like the truck. I get the truck. The first scene we have with Travis and Maddie shows Travis trying to fix the kitchen plumbing to save them $300. A school teacher and a guidance counselor would not be swimming in cash, especially if one of them is also paying child support, which I'm pretty sure would be the deal with Travis and his ex-wife. Both my father and my brother owned a pick-up truck, and they each owned their own home in a settled housing development, not out in the country. The truck always came in handy for helping with hauling loads of home/lawn repair stuff. To be honest, I didn't notice the cracked windshield, but the sight of a beat-up, well-used pick-up would not make me gasp.

I get the truck, too, I lived in LA for years, and not everyone drives fancy cars. The truck is practical. They appear to be living modestly. We have one like it for my husband's side business.

Not sold on this show yet, but it's only six eps, so I will watch them all. Agree with all who are sick of angsty teens. Nick, oh, Nick, he reminds me of the scarecrow with his jerky, weird movements, and straw hair. Please don't kill Randy from The WIre.

@MrsRafaelBarba: What happened to Tyler, he was one of the many reasons I stopped watching V?

Edited by BigBlueMastiff
  • Love 1

I'm another one who thought I saw young Johnny Depp.

I've always had a thing for Cliff Curtis so it's nice to see him playing Travis.  I would like a little more backstory on why he left his wife, who, on the surface, I find more attractive than Kim Dickens  (who is also attractive but there's something about the way she sets her mouth that bugs me).  Also, I can't understand why he's so hooked on his step family and not more concerned about his own son.  No wonder the kid didn't want to see him. 

Alicia bugged at first because I thought she was just going to be another whiny teenage bitch, but she kind of grew on me later on.

I'm sorry that fine young Calvin had to go.  Writers, please don't kill Tobias.

I'm in, especially since it's only six weeks.

I think there is more to this family dynamic....It struck me as odd when he called the ex wife that she was all "did you find him?" like she was worried about Nick, like she cared about him.  Then Ray Romano told his kid something like "Nick would be there for you".  I think the families were tied together somehow before Ray starting boinking RBF.

• Love 2
I think the families were tied together somehow before Ray starting boinking RBF.

I think you might be right.  For some reason, the ex-wife didn't sound quite bitter enough about Ray Romano's new family.  The kid seemed more angry than her. 

• Love 1

I think a separate thread for comparison is apt here, as opposed to say, Better Call Saul where Breaking Bad discussion runs rampant in every episode thread. There, many characters and situations tie to the first show directly. This exists in the same universe as the Mother Ship, but that's about it.

I can't seem to think of a thread name funny enough to be worthwhile...any ideas?

How about "Fear, itself."

Edited by Saje
  • Love 1

Ratings are in:

Last night’s special 90-minute series premiere of “Fear the Walking Dead” made television history, delivering 10.1 million live/same day viewers and becoming the #1 series premiere in cable television history for total viewers and all key demos. The episode delivered 6.3 million adults 18-49. In that coveted demographic, AMC now is home to three of the top five cable series premieres of all time in live/same day viewing – “Fear the Walking Dead” at #1 (2015), “Better Call Saul” at #2 (2015) and “The Walking Dead” at #5 (2010) – a remarkable accomplishment so far into the post-DVR era. A “Talking Dead” Season 6 Preview Special that preceded the “Fear” premiere last night delivered 4.2 million viewers, and 2.5 million adults 18-49.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/08/24/fear-the-walking-dead-becomes-most-watched-series-premiere-in-cable-history-with-10-1-million-viewers/452459/

• Love 6

After some time to think some more about it... still don't really like the Pilot.  I'd give it 2 (out of 5) stars, at most, and 1.5 of those stars are due just to 'TWD' being in its name.

It irks me something fierce that not one of those 3 walkers - 'Gloria' and her two kills - were ever shown again, despite TWO trips back to the church.  I still say there's no way they could have left that place on their own; it was clearly shown to be boarded up, /w barred-windows and fenced in!  I'm not asking for much here, Show.  I'm not asking for realism as the show pertains to real life, but I do ask that for what you're trying to portray as 'real life' within the boundaries of a show, then I would like realism displayed to fit *that* reality.

It was brought up before - and I saw it while watching, but didn't want to be the 'odd man out' by saying anything - but I so totally thought that Alicia was gonna lean in and lock lips with Nick, after getting up on the bed and the hand-on-the-arm and not-platonic eye lock they had going on.  Immediate reaction was; "These two are supposed to be brother and sister, right??"  *runs off to check cast list and character summaries*.  That kind of stuff keeps up, show name should change to 'Fear the Walking Inbred'.

I've never seen a more lackadaisical or nonsensical set of responses to hysteria-level events in my life, as put on display by Madison in this episode.  

-  "No duh; who cares?" response to Travis' first visit to the church

-  "You killed Cal??  Wow.[/deadpan]  Show us the body, we wanna see!"

-  The nonchalant standing and staring while watching Nick turn 'Cal' into roadkill, and even more so when watching 'Cal' get back up again.  Her and Travis both come off there as 'geez, Cal sure is having a bad day!  poor guy.  he's just gotta shake it off and move on'.

-  And worst of all, when they're standing on the ramp, at the mouth of the tunnel, and their staring at 'Cal' as he turns his head - signifying he's still not *dead*  - they show a long shot of them standing there, and she's looking around like she's thinking 'wow, what a lovely day today!'.

- - EDITED for name correction & EDITED again, for name correction also  (that's how much I was into and involved in this, that I mixed up 2 of the principal casts' names and forgot another's) - -

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 12

Ratings are in:

Last night’s special 90-minute series premiere of “Fear the Walking Dead” made television history, delivering 10.1 million live/same day viewers and becoming the #1 series premiere in cable television history for total viewers and all key demos. The episode delivered 6.3 million adults 18-49. In that coveted demographic, AMC now is home to three of the top five cable series premieres of all time in live/same day viewing – “Fear the Walking Dead” at #1 (2015), “Better Call Saul” at #2 (2015) and “The Walking Dead” at #5 (2010) – a remarkable accomplishment so far into the post-DVR era. A “Talking Dead” Season 6 Preview Special that preceded the “Fear” premiere last night delivered 4.2 million viewers, and 2.5 million adults 18-49.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/08/24/fear-the-walking-dead-becomes-most-watched-series-premiere-in-cable-history-with-10-1-million-viewers/452459/

I'm irrationally annoyed that this beat all the other Walking Dead premieres. Oh never mind. I can't read. Just Series Premiere.  Carry on. I'll go find something else to feel irrationally annoyed about

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2

Been There, Done That: TWD & FearTWD

• Love 1

I was pretty bored during most of that. Nick (I call him River Kitsch) walks/runs like a marionette.

I hope things pick up next week. I love zombie stuff, but I really, really hate angsty family crap. That shit ruined Falling Skies for me way back in season 1.

• Love 3

Jericho cultivated a decent "teenager in the apocalypse" scenario without sucking the life out of the show-but, teens weren't a large chunk of the featured cast. Jericho managed to show a teen(Dale Turner) become corrupt by coming into a position of power post-apocalypse.

I'm still grieving the loss of Bonnie Richmond, and Jericho has been off the air since 2008.

While apparently everyone else was getting distracted by an unfortunate sweater, I was able to focus on what really mattered in the scene. His glorious shirtless-ness.

We all have our priorities, right?

• Love 3

I like the truck. I get the truck.

So did I!  I also noticed they lived in a place that looked kind of small and cramped - a stackable washer/dryer unit in the kitchen, for example.  I imagine Travis's divorce probably cost some $.  I liked the different demo, compared to Rick's nice, spacious house (the quick glance we saw of it) in GA - Herschel's big farm, etc.  I got more of a trapped, claustrophobic vibe.  Like these people don't have the resources to escape what's happening.

I had to laugh at most of you commenting about Nick's shirt in the opening scenes, which I hardly noticed.  I guess I'm not that observant.  I don't think he looks like Johnny Depp either.  I did think he did a good job.

I think the nonchalant reactions to Nick saying he shot Calvin is because they've been through a lot with Nick and are thinking he's crying wolf, or confused and deluded again.  The after-Calvin expressions, I guess (badly acted) shock? 

I didn't mind the teaser with the principal and I liked the background ambulance sounds, comments about the sick, etc.; we know what's happening but they don't.  I guess the Men in Black cleaned up the church?  Someone noted upthread that the hospital staff seemed prepared to hustle the old guy away ASAP.  So it would seem that in the early stages The Authorites are trying to keep a lid on the dead walking, with leaks happening (thank you Internet and Tobias). 

It wasn't perfect but I thought they built up a feeling of dread well enough.  Nice to have the ZA back on Sunday nights.

Edited by raven
  • Love 7

The ratings were huge, but I wouldn't surprised at a BIG drop off next week. Around teh internets, the people who wanted moar zombies were disappointed, the people who wanted character development were disappointed (mainly by the actual characters), the people who wanted Zombie Origin were disappointed.  In general, of course.  It appears to have let everyone down.

• Love 5

It was brought up before - and I saw it while watching, but didn't want to be the 'odd man out' by saying anything - but I so totally thought that Alicia was gonna lean in and lock lips with Nick, after getting up on the bed and the hand-on-the-arm and not-platonic eye lock they had going on.  Immediate reaction was; "These two are supposed to be brother and sister, right??"  *runs off to check cast list and character summaries*.  That kind of stuff keeps up, show name should change to 'Fear the Walking Inbred'.

-

Ditto!

• Love 5
They seemed really calm about their kid who just shot and killed his friend Calvin, if you ask me. They're like, "okay, let's go take a look." That's probably not how I'd respond to my kid telling me he'd just shot his drug dealer. I'd be thinking, is he going to shoot someone else? Is he going to get shot himself? Is he going to shoot me? They're just like, "shit happens, it's LA." Rough school indeed.

My guess is they initially didn't believe him, or thought he was on drugs and not describing the situation accurately. 

It was a slow episode, but I like the sense of creeping dread, where everything seems generally normal, but isn't. 

• Love 2

I don't know what would be worse: The Zombie Apocalypse or being back in High School.

All they need is to break out into song for "Zombie" the musical.

I hope Nick dies in the next episode or two,, he has already become this show's "Lori" for me. Would have preferred to see Cal's character evolve than the junkie.

Edited by Giselle

I didn't have huge hopes because TWD is my favorite show and nothing could compare. It was OK, but it almost seemed like this show should have been on first. It is hard to watch it knowing what we know and how things will go/end. I also think it was impossible to create the incredible sense of menace and dread that TWD had in it's first couple of episodes.

I like Kim Dickens but she seems kind of the same character she was in Gone Girl, sort of the know it all take charge type. I will continue to watch it but am not attached to any characters yet.