Type keyword(s) to search

The Harry Potter Movies

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ursula said:

Ted Tonks is a wizard. There are no examples of happy, or just passably non-toxic Muggle/Wizard relationships. On the one hand, the books claim Muggle prejudice being wrong, on the other hand, they also seem to show that miscegenation is necessary.

Ah, OK, I had forgotten that Ted was a muggleborn wizard and not a muggle.

On 5/4/2021 at 3:57 PM, GreekGeek said:

Seamus's dad may have been unpleasantly shocked (wouldn't you?) but I don't see any evidence that it wrecked the marriage. Of course, we learn very little about their relationship.

I thought Ted Tonks and Andromeda (nee Black), Nymphadora's parents, were a pretty happy couple. 

I always took it as that he was shocked, however they did stay together. I like to think that they worked it out and are happy. 

Not a mix couple, but family, I got the impression that Dean had a happy home life. Sure he is a halfblood (but doesn't know it) and grew up with his mother and step dad in a happy Muggle home. 

• Love 3
(edited)
14 hours ago, blueray said:

Not a mix couple, but family, I got the impression that Dean had a happy home life. Sure he is a halfblood (but doesn't know it) and grew up with his mother and step dad in a happy Muggle home. 

Dean’s Wizard dad walked out on his Muggle mother. His happy home life was with 2 Muggle parents. And this is backstory that never made it into the books! Lol. How the story presents Muggle/Wizard relationships is too consistent to not be by design. There’s nothing to make one believe Seamus’s family were an exception.

Edited by ursula
(edited)
On 5/6/2021 at 8:55 AM, ursula said:

Dean’s Wizard dad walked out on his Muggle mother. His happy home life was with 2 Muggle parents. And this is backstory that never made it into the books! Lol. How the story presents Muggle/Wizard relationships is too consistent to not be by design. There’s nothing to make one believe Seamus’s family were an exception.

Did Dean's biological father walk out, or was he killed in the First Wizarding War‽ His mom was a Muggle; she wouldn't have known what was going on or that he was in danger. I agree that the books don't really present Muggle/Wizard romances going well. 

The books initially describe McGonagall as having black hair but then JKR said she was 70 in a chat or something. She's still much younger than Dumbledore, but wizards have longer life spans. Most of the adult characters were aged up from the books. If the Marauders are 30-35 years older than the kids, then characters who were their teachers (like McGonagall) have to be a generation older than the Marauders.

Edited by Dejana

I think Jacob from the FB movies proved that there are cool Muggles in the Potterverse that can openminded about magic and more than happy to have relationships with wizarding folk.  Would have liked to see more examples of that in the books, of course, but oh well.

• Love 2

Just saw an article (behind a paywall so really just the headline) that HP is now exclusively on Peacock but I thought HP was distributed by Warner Bros. so how did HBO lose it?

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Just saw an article (behind a paywall so really just the headline) that HP is now exclusively on Peacock but I thought HP was distributed by Warner Bros. so how did HBO lose it?

Warner Bros and HBO agreed to let them go for money until 2025. 

https://www.techjunkie.com/best-place-watch-harry-potter/

https://deadline.com/2016/08/comcast-nbcuniversal-deal-warner-bros-jk-rowling-wizarding-world-1201800057/

• Useful 3
(edited)

I also find it interesting that Warner Brothers/Universal reached a licensing deal for the Wizarding World stuff to be in Universal parks when Warner Brothers was already in bed with Six Flags.  The only real explanation I could find after a quick google search was that the deal between Warner's and Universal was "mutually beneficial."  I guess it always boils down to money talks.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Useful 1

The rights to HP belong to Rowling, not Warner Bros.  She had originally talked with Disney about putting the Wizarding World there, but what they were planning was really underwhelming, so she walked away and went to Universal.  They were willing to invest a lot of money into it, and it clearly paid off for them.

As for Warners Bros, they don't own Six Flags, and Universal has much deeper pockets for licensing fees.  Six Flags are perfectly fine amusement parks (well, some of them are, anyway), but doing something like Wizarding World is way over their heads.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 5/15/2021 at 5:09 PM, HunterHunted said:

I know this is an older posts but it’s more complicated than that. NBC got the cable and digital rights and HBO got the streaming rights. Now that has overlapped resulting in the movies bouncing back and forth between Peacock and HBO Max. At the moment they are on both services. 

On 11/16/2021 at 11:54 AM, BetterButter said:

I hope this is more a documentary style making of special and less like the Friends reunion. Given the air date I’m probably going to be disappointed.  

‘Harry Potter’ Reunion Special Debuts First Look Featuring Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint
By Kate Aurthur     December 8, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/harry-potter-reunion-photo-return-to-hogwarts-daniel-radcliffe-emma-watson-1235129492/ 

HBO Max has released the first image from its upcoming special “Harry Potter 20th Anniversary: Return to Hogwarts,” which is premiering on Jan. 1 — and it shows stars Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson in conversation in the Gryffindor common room. The program was taped at Warner Bros. Studio Tour London.

HarryPotter.reunion.jpg

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

I watched the 20th-anniversary special. It's enjoyable. They all seem like really nice people. 

If I took one thing away from it, it's that Helena Bonham Carter is even cooler than I imagined, and I already imagined that that was pretty cool. She's delightful in her segments with Radcliffe and Felton. It's not surprising to hear that she was so supportive of the younger actors on the set, because she started her own movie career so young. She was herself a teenager (if an older one than they were at the time) acting opposite veterans in her Room with a View/Lady Jane period in the '80s. 

Tom Felton came off especially well too. And I liked that they were able to get all four of the directors to talk about what they tried to bring to the installments they oversaw.

I'll admit that as the last ten minutes went on with gratitude, wonder, testimonials to how much the franchise has meant in the lives of all the actors and how much they care about each other, tears, tears, and more tears, I was thinking, "This could have been tightened up a little." It's like a really comprehensive DVD/Blu-ray extra. But it's sincere and well meant. 

The "In Loving Memory" segment (re: Harris, Rickman, McCrory, et al.) is nicely done. The actors who are still with us but didn't participate for whatever reason -- Emma Thompson, Robert Pattinson, Timothy Spall -- don't get a lot of attention (Pattinson doesn't even get a name-drop when his character is discussed), but I guess most of the people who watch this will be big fans of the series, so they'll be able to fill in their own blanks. 

Tangential: I just saw Tragedy of Macbeth on NYE, so Bruno Delbonnel's cinematography was fresh in mind. The clips of Half-Blood Prince reminded me again of how stunning he made the later scenes of that one look.

Edited by Simon Boccanegra
  • Love 6

With the way they talked about Julie Walters made me think she was no longer with us, but I checked and she is.  I wonder why she didn’t participate? 

Overall I enjoyed it but like above, the ending could have been shorter.

Bonnie and Evanna look exactly the same…but adult.  If that makes sense.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, mojoween said:

With the way they talked about Julie Walters made me think she was no longer with us, but I checked and she is.  I wonder why she didn’t participate? 

Oh good I'm not only one. I was like wait did she die? I'm glad that's not the case. I think it's more of a grammar (?) thing as they are talking about events that happened in the past, so past tense but since she wasn't being interviewed it came off as awkward. I do wish they had her, Maggie Smith and some of the other adults in it. But my guess is due to Covid it was hard to get them to be able to participate. 

I enjoyed this reunion a lot and I cried for most of it ;). Definitely worth the watch. 

• Love 3

I thought that the special was pretty well done. The ending was perfect. I won’t spoil it because it was just perfect. It made sense when it happened but I had not thought about ending it that way. 

I was kind hoping for more interaction between all the participants, like a big party that they were all there at and just random shots. There seems to have been something but it was kind of fast through. 

I was surprised at the amount of Emma and Rupert without Daniel. We didn’t really see as much with Daniel with Rupert or even Emma. The three of them together was great, they do seem to have a real bond. But Rupert and Emma seemed to be the closest. 

The Wesley family reunion was great. The Malfoy one was a bit less exciting. 

What is most fascinating is how you could see the relationships seem to play out based on the characters. Tom was amazing but the Malfoy affect seems to have been in play and he didn’t seem to have the same closeness as the Weasley’s or the The Golden Trio. 

Helen was amazing. Oh my god, was she great. She is the person who Tom seemed most comfortable with in the few joint moments we had with him. 

I would have loved a Gryffindor reunion. You had most of the Boys in Harry’s Dorm, Shemus (sp) was the only one missing, and four of the Weasley’s, Percy was not included. 

Love Luna. Love her. 

And I was glad to see that JKR was included, even only as interviews. Whatever has happened in the last few years, she is the author of this world and created all of this. I understand the concerns of many of the participants but it would have been weird to discuss all of this without her participation. 

Overall it was a neat perspective. You got more of a feel for the actors and their growth, how this influenced them so deeply. I never thought of how hard the movies must have been to make for them. It started out as working fun and then the weight of what they were doing settled in. That was a lot to ask of the kids, in particular. It was interesting hearing Emma and Rupert both say that they seriously thought of leaving. And Daniel’s response to that was so honest. Emma was on her own as the only female child lead and Daniel was right, what 14 year old boy is going to think to check in on how a friend is doing with the pressure. No one seemed upset with the other for missing what appears obvious now because they all knew why they had not checked in on the others. 

The joy that they all had in seeing each other grow as people and actors was real. It really is a unique bond. 

• Love 7

I just finished watching the Return to Hogwarts special and it was even better than I expected. No lie, I had to pause it at one point, as I had to grab a new box of tissues, having used up my open box!

My only negative comment was that I found the opening with the Hogwarts letters going to Emma Watson, Robbie Coltrane and Matt Lewis, somewhat cloying but then the special clicked into gear and didn't let up.

I loved Jason Isaacs and Tom Felton describing their on-set interactions. Dan Radcliffe's reunions with Gary Oldman and with Helena Bonham Carter were great as was Emma Watson's with Robbie Coltrane.

It was certainly interesting that every single one of the very few talking heads' clips of J.K. Rowling was marked "Recorded in 2019." HBO obviously wanted to make it very clear that she had not been interviewed specifically for this reunion.

And that ending was absolutely perfect.  I'm surprised I didn't see it coming because in retrospect, how could it have ended any other way?

• Love 3

I really enjoyed the reunion.  Although I don't consider myself an extreme Potterhead (and I'm a fair bit older than the intended demographic of the books/movies), I already knew a lot of the behind the scenes stories the actors and directors told.  The only surprises were that Richard Harris thought the animatronic Fawkes was a real bird and that Mike Newell broke a couple ribs showing the Weasley twins how he wanted them to fight.  😮

I was kind hoping for more interaction between all the participants, like a big party that they were all there at and just random shots. There seems to have been something but it was kind of fast through. 

I agree that I wish there was more interaction.  They were all together in the Great Hall, so it would have been nice to see them all sit down and reminisce together.  Hopefully there's more footage and we'll get to see that sometime in the future.

• Love 1

Such a great reunion, definitely one of the best I've seen, with how they got to reminisce on the sets that meant the most to whoever was on them. 

I am aware that they couldn't include every single actor involved, especially the ones most important to the series (Julie Walters, Maggie Smith, Michael Gambon, David Thewlis, Robert Pattinson and Emma Thompson to an extent, amongst others), so it was still a shame but understandable. They still had plenty of other content and wonderful moments to fill in those missing people. 

It was so nice to see all the actors getting to be in the same room again. I presume, after the series ended, they all went to do their own thing and it sounds like many haven't even been together since. Especially the actors who were quite young during filming, I bet it was a real treat to be able to come back and talk about it. 

It was real great to see the various actors interacting (Daniel with Gary and Helena, Emma with Robbie, Tom and Jason) and I loved the chapters that they had for each segment.

The segments with Daniel, Emma and Rupert were also very sweet. I would have loved to see Rupert interact more with other actors, but I understand why he was really just with Emma and Daniel. 

There were some behind the scenes stuff I knew already and some I had no clue about. I didn't know, or maybe I forgot, about Emma thinking about not doing the series halfway through. It definitely wasn't known WHY she thought about leaving and the different pressure she felt compared to Daniel, Rupert, and even Tom. 

It was interesting to see Daniel's interactions with both Gary and Helena. They had SUCH different vibes and really showcased two different sides to Daniel himself. With him and Gary, you can feel the understanding both had and the maturity both possessed with this reunion. Their mutual respect for one another and Daniel's complete awe of Gary, and Gary's admiration for Daniel. 

And then there's Helena, giggling with Daniel like they're the best of friends and her ability to really connect with him on another level. It also shows with Tom's part with Helena how she is in real life. Because I was also so young when Harry Potter happened (I'm just three years younger than Emma herself) that I had no idea of the actors' real personalities behind the scenes, so this is probably one of the first things I'm seeing of Helena and not of her playing a character. 

I always love hearing the actors talk about Alan Rickman being in the know on the series' biggest twists before they were written.

Seriously, what a lovely reunion. I think you really feel the bond between everyone, even after all of these years, something that can sometimes be hard to find in a reunion. And I came out of the reunion, feeling like this was not just enlightening to the fans, who got to relive the Harry Potter experience, but also for all of the actors. 

And yes, add me to the list of people who was touched by the ending. Very sweet way to end the reunion. 

• Love 3

Confession: I’ve never read the books or seen any of the movies but know everything about it. I’m 57 and I know adults read the books but it just wasn’t my jam. That said, the special was well done & the “kids” seemed to turned out well. I thought there’d be more of Daniel & Emma one on one but they paired him more with the established adult stars which was nice, too. I think the Daniel, Emma & Rupert thought it was closing a chapter on their youth & know what these movies did for them & the fans. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 2

LOL that Daniel admitted he was a dick to Rupert and Emma when they had to shoot the long-awaited kiss. I totally get that it would be weird for them since their real relationship was like a sibling one. 

The shippers are going nuts over the Tom and Emma stuff. It’s cute, but no no no I would never in a million years want Malfoy and Hermione to hook up.

Dan tearing up at the end got me. As did the tributes to the departed, especially Alan Rickman.

This was great. I love Harry Potter, warts and all, after all this time. Always.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

LOL that Daniel admitted he was a dick to Rupert and Emma when they had to shoot the long-awaited kiss. I totally get that it would be weird for them since their real relationship was like a sibling one. 

Agreed. 

What somewhat surprised me when they were discussing the Ron/Hermione kiss was that they never mentioned filming the even more intense--and seemingly less-clothed!--Harry/Hermione love scene that was Ron's vision when he destroyed the locket with the sword. That had to have been weird for Dan and Emma, but never seems to get any mention.

• Love 2

It was interesting to see the behind the scenes footage of the kids in the first two movies when they were kids and the attention span was short and the director had to direct and baby sit. After that, they matured and developed into great actors. Also, the screen test of the three was fascinating to watch where Emma was dead on a second after the director gave his final direction. They nailed it and the rest was history. 

• Love 3

Return To Hogwarts producers responded to that Emma Watson/Emma Roberts mishap in the HBO Max special. "Well spotted Harry Potter fans! You brought an editing mistake of a mislabelled photograph to our attention. New version up shortly."

'Harry Potter' Stars James & Oliver Phelps Spot Another Mistake in Reunion Special

https://www.justjared.com/2022/01/03/harry-potter-stars-james-oliver-phelps-spot-another-mistake-in-reunion-special/

It looks like the Emma Watson – Emma Roberts photo mix-up wasn’t the only mistake in the Harry Potter 20th Anniversary: Return to Hogwarts reunion special.

There was also another one involving twins James and Oliver Phelps, who played Fred and George Weasley in the popular series, and Oliver pointed it out on Instagram over the weekend.

Turns out, after all these years, that not a lot of people can tell James and Oliver apart.

“I guess after all those pranks over the years somebody decided to get their revenge 🤨🤣🤷🤪

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYPiGJrqWS_/

• Love 1
On 1/2/2022 at 1:01 PM, ByaNose said:

It was interesting to see the behind the scenes footage of the kids in the first two movies when they were kids and the attention span was short and the director had to direct and baby sit. After that, they matured and developed into great actors. Also, the screen test of the three was fascinating to watch where Emma was dead on a second after the director gave his final direction. They nailed it and the rest was history. 

It's the reason Chris Columbus when he directed the Percy Jackson movies cast teenage actors instead of kids like the books. He did not want to go through that experience again!

Edited by Fool to cry
1 hour ago, Fool to cry said:

It's the reason Chris Columbus when he directed the Percy Jackson movies cast teenage actors instead of kids like the books. He did not want to go through that experience again!

He cast actors in their 20’s for Percy Jackson. The movie was awful for a variety of reason, one of which was that the kids were the wrong age by a lot. 

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

He cast actors in their 20’s for Percy Jackson. The movie was awful for a variety of reason, one of which was that the kids were the wrong age by a lot. 

My mistake. I meant they aged up the characters to teenagers.

One of the special things about the HP movies is watching the characters and actors that played them grow up as the went on. When the movie Boyhood came out which shown the lead grow from a child to a teenager in 12 years, it was like "Big deal, I've already seen it with Harry Potter!"

• Love 3

I enjoyed the special, although I kind of wish it had been more of a proper reunion.  I didn’t mind the retrospective  moments in the context of the conversations that were taking place, but I didn’t necessarily need this to be a “making of” on the films in general.  I just wanted to get these actors in a room (or a series of rooms) together, and let them talk.  And honestly, I could have done with less archival interviews- especially from the people who were actually there.

Still, the good parts were really good- it was especially great seeing the big three together again, as well as the parings of the kids with the older actors.  More than the effects, or the lore, or even the story, that’s what I enjoy about these films- the sense of family that exists between the characters, performers and the audience.

Otherwise, did anyone else watch the Tournament of Houses- either online, or as it ran live on TBS?  I thought it was surprisingly fun- yes, it was cheesy as hell- but I really enjoyed the sense of unabashed fandom that permeated the competition.  Plus,

Spoiler

it was super gratifying to see Hufflepuff take home the cup.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

Otherwise, did anyone else watch the Tournament of Houses- either online, or as it ran live on TBS?  I thought it was surprisingly fun- yes, it was cheesy as hell- but I really enjoyed the sense of unabashed fandom that permeated the competition.  Plus,

Reveal spoiler

it was super gratifying to see Hufflepuff take home the cup.

Just FYI, the Tournament of Houses has its own separate forum here, although sadly, it has very little traffic. Here's the link:  https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/125074-harry-potter-hogwarts-tournament-of-houses/?tab=comments#comment-7196979

There's one thing I wish would have been done differently during the reunion special: I wish Rupert Grint would have been included with the other Weasleys on the Burrow set. Obviously, I wanted him with Dan and Emma, but he still should have appeared with his on-screen family too. 

On 1/3/2022 at 7:55 PM, Fool to cry said:

When the movie Boyhood came out which shown the lead grow from a child to a teenager in 12 years, it was like "Big deal, I've already seen it with Harry Potter!"

I love that Boyhood is so Harry Potter-heavy. The mother is reading one of the books to the kids near the beginning, and then in a later year the kids are at the store at midnight (with little Mason in his Harry Potter costume) to get their hands on the newest one. It's a movie where I think, "The period detail is so perfect," and then I have to remind myself that when they were shooting a little at a time every year, it wasn't period detail, it was just...detail! Heh.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Simon Boccanegra said:

I love that Boyhood is so Harry Potter-heavy. The mother is reading one of the books to the kids near the beginning, and then in a later year the kids are at the store at midnight (with little Mason in his Harry Potter costume) to get their hands on the newest one. It's a movie where I think, "The period detail is so perfect," and then I have to remind myself that when they were shooting a little at a time every year, it wasn't period detail, it was just...detail! Heh.

Sometime in the mid 2000s in the parking lot of a mall I saw a couple of kids running by two guys into a Borders bookstore and heard one of the guys joke to the other "The latest Harry Potter book must be out!"

• LOL 1

The reunion movie was fantastic.  Made me so nostalgic for back in the day when I took my kids to see the movies.  What lovely people and such wonderful memories they all had.  It was great to see all the actors and I am so grateful they shared their experiences.  All the children grew up to be so charming and accomplished.  Quite a feat.

I still haven't gotten over Alan Rickman's death.

• Love 2

The reunion was great.   I teared up at the reaction of each to getting their invitation.   

Rupert and Emma are still in touch because Rupert mentioned his daughter and Emma said "yes, I remember that."   I realized Rupert is the only one of the 3 with kids.   If the other two have kids, that is going to be a big deal as the kids grow up "The Harry Potter kids' kids go to school" etc.  

The ending.   I wept.  

• Love 5

Warner Bros. Discovery Boss Wants More ‘Harry Potter’ Movies If J.K. Rowling Will Agree
BY AARON COUCH    NOVEMBER 3, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/harry-potter-more-movies-j-k-rowling-1235255333/ 

“We’re going to focus on franchises,” Zaslav said during an investor’s call Thursday. “We haven’t had a Superman movie in 13 years. We haven’t done a Harry Potter in 15 years. The DC movies and the Harry Potter movies provided a lot of the profits for Warner Bros. … over the past 25 years.”

The executive went on to note the studio still has the theatrical rights to Lord of the Rings, and went back around to the idea of more Harry Potter, noting he’d like to see more: “If we can do something with J.K. on Harry Potter going forward.”

It’s noteworthy that Zaslav dangled the possibility of more Potter at an investor’s meeting, with the venue suggesting it was more than just wishful thinking.

Edited by tv echo
On 4/3/2023 at 7:21 PM, BetterButter said:

This is what I have wanted for years! I enjoy the movies, but in such limited time things get missed. My favorite book of the series is book 6, Half-Blood Prince because of the backstory you get on Voldemort and his family and seeing scenes of how life at Hogwarts has been affected by the war (kids being pulled taken out of school by their parents, you hear of two sisters whose little brother was killed in a werewolf attack after a parent refused to cooperate with death eaters) and those things were cut/winnowed down for time. A TV series would be able to go more in-depth into the world. Also; the last film came out 2011, so effects have gotten much better, so it would be nice to see what they could do with the stories today.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

This is what I have wanted for years! I enjoy the movies, but in such limited time things get missed. 

Yes! I was so dissapointed the centaurs were cut from Order of the Pheonix, so now they can be included/restored in season 5. (I think almost every fan has something that was cut for time that they wished had been included.)

Also, they ran out of time to do special effects for Sorcerer's Stone, so they had to rush to complete it in time for the release, which is why the troll hasn't held up well. This is a chance for them to do better.

However, I would also be equally happy with a series that is the Marauder's time at Hogwarts. This would be 7 or 8 seasons (1 season for each year of school, plus an 8th season to cover 77-81). However, 77-81 could also be covered as an HBOMax original movie. Maybe this could be their next project?

I have to ask, are the people in charge at Warner Discovery totally clueless how big a following the Maurders have? 

• Like 1

I want to know exactly what a Blast-Ended Skrewt looks like, I want a damn Sphinx in the maze, and I want some color! So much of the wizarding world is described as vividly colorful and the movies just got more and more visually drab as they went on.

• Like 4