Type keyword(s) to search

The Harry Potter Movies

• Start Topic

Kloves LOVED Hermione and proceeded to turn her into SUPER HERMIONE.  So that included giving Hermione some of Harry and Ron's finest moments.  Probably the most notorious was Hermione getting Ron's "If you want Harry, you'll have to get through me" line.  Not to mention Movie Hermione is not given any flaws or mistakes.  In the POA, using the Time Turner to travel back in time to take additional classes really takes a toll on her and she decides at the end of the book to stop doing it.  It was Hermione acknowledging to herself that she couldn't do anything and it showed growth in her character.  In the movie, Hermione is going back and time without batting an eyelash.  It was another terrible decision with Kloves but he had a love affair with the character.  One of the strengths of Rowling's characters is that they have their great qualities but they have their bad qualities too.  Harry and Ron could be raging assholes.  Hermione could be an annoying pain in the ass.  There's no need to run away from flaws.

Though if there was one thing of Hermione's that I was glad Kloves got rid of, it was in the last book where Hermione bursts into tears every other page.  I thought Hermione had some kind of mental issue as she was crying nonstop over every little thing.  It really got annoying and repetitive very quickly.

• Love 10

The one Super Hermione scene which irritates me most, is her offer to accompany Harry into the Forbidden Forest near the end of Deathly Hallows.

Ron is absolutely bereft at losing one of his beloved siblings, only for Hermione to immediately fling herself into Harry's arms, the moment he arrives.

Then, to make matters worse, after Harry tells them about his decision to face Voldemort, Ron isn't even given a proper 'goodbye' scene with Harry.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 2

I thought that look they exchanged WAS their "goodbye". I mean guys sometimes don't need words or actions, and I interpreted as neither one of them wanted to get too mushy because Ron could tell Harry was struggling with the enormity of giving up his own life and he didn't want to make it harder for him than it already was.

• Love 2

I understand why they put it in, but I dislike that scene in general because there’s no way either Hermione or Ron would have let Harry trudge off to his death alone in the books. And Harry himself knows he’s not strong enough to go if he talks to them. It’s a nice scene but it doesn’t do justice to how much Hermione and Ron love Harry, and how much he loves them, imo.

• Love 7

I dislike that scene in general because there’s no way either Hermione or Ron would have let Harry trudge off to his death alone in the books.

Agreed, plus I hate that they took out the interchange between him and Neville where he tells him to kill the snake on his way to the forest, effectively replacing himself in the trio with Neville - who was the alternate candidate for being the chosen one according to the prophecy anyway!

• Love 9

I mostly wish they'd been able to show some of the other students who became important later.  Maybe instead of showing Susan Bones being sorted, we could have seen Cho, or Luna, or even Lavender.  Or, even if we didn't see them being sorted, at least have them in the background somewhere.  I suppose they might have been, and I just can't pick them out of the crowd, but I don't think those were.  We never hear about Susan Bones again.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I mostly wish they'd been able to show some of the other students who became important later.  Maybe instead of showing Susan Bones being sorted, we could have seen Cho, or Luna, or even Lavender.  Or, even if we didn't see them being sorted, at least have them in the background somewhere.  I suppose they might have been, and I just can't pick them out of the crowd, but I don't think those were.  We never hear about Susan Bones again.

If they were ever to make a Harry Potter show, I would love to see Neville’s and Ginny’s stand at Hogwarts when everything else was going on outside of the school during that school year. They had to be secretly interacting with the other houses to have such a student uprising. Plus, then we could actually see the houses interact. How spectacular would it be to see the houses working together? I even think there would have definitely been some Slytherin causing a ruckus too..something I wish Rowing would had happened in earlier books with the DA. Not all Slytherins were DeathEaters too.

Come-on, then we could see too how easily Neville could have been the choosen one. I would love a show based on that school year.

• Love 7

I always crack up when they show Dumbledore's tomb. It's incongruously modern when the rest of the magical Harry Potter world is styled about 100 years behind the non-magical world. Furthermore, every other tomb or grave that we see look like a regular tomb or grave. Only Albus Dumbledore has this massive white minimalist modern tomb. It makes me wonder if I. M. Pei is secretly a wizard and a friend of Dumbledore's.

On 12/29/2017 at 4:28 PM, Browncoat said:

To be fair the movies didn't know she wouldn't be a main character, as only the first four books were out. They were just showing other students of their year get sorted. The biggest think for me is they didn't go alphabetically like the books.  And to be nitpicking but Cho is a year older I think and Luna is a year younger, so neither can be sorted the same time as Harry.

• Love 4

I know there was no way to fit everything from the books into the movies but I've always been disappointed that the Percy Weasley story line was completely dropped.  There's a brief scene of Percy holding on to Harry after Umbridge has raided the DA meeting, but if he wasn't even mentioned by name so I'm sure a lot of movie goers didn't even have a clue it was Ron's brother siding with the Ministry.  I think there's a glimpse of him at Fred's side after his death but that's it.   Actually if there is ever a series about secondary or tertiary characters I'd be interested to follow Percy's journey into collaboration through to redemption.  Even the books kind of gave it short shrift.

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, blueray said:

And to be nitpicking but Cho is a year older I think and Luna is a year younger, so neither can be sorted the same time as Harry.

The ages of the secondary characters, with very few exceptions (like Ginny), were never clear to me.  Was Lavender younger, too?  The Patil sisters, who were in different houses in the books, were the same age as Harry -- where were they earlier?  And where did they disappear to after Ron and Harry ruined the Yule Ball for them?  I mostly blame Ron for that.  I think if not for loyalty to Ron, Harry might have been out there on the dance floor, having fun.

Agreed about Percy, though.

Another fun question:  What makes a witch or wizard "pure-blood"?  Both of Harry's parents were magical, is he pure-blood?  How many generations does it have to go back?

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Another fun question:  What makes a witch or wizard "pure-blood"?  Both of Harry's parents were magical, is he pure-blood?  How many generations does it have to go back?

A pure-blood has no known muggle ancestors. There are only a handful of families and they are prettying interbred.  A half-blood has traceable ancestor that was a muggle-born (Harry's case his mother). Then a muggle born is born to two non-magical parents (Hermione).

Edited by blueray
  • Love 2

Oh, and I think I lied about the Patil sisters -- they might have been in Dumbledore's Army.  Watching now, and it's a little hard to tell.  But Lavender's definitely not there.  She disappears until we see her killed by the werewolf.

So half-blood even means quarter-blood or 1/8 blood?

• Love 1
On 12/31/2017 at 10:00 AM, Frost said:

I know there was no way to fit everything from the books into the movies but I've always been disappointed that the Percy Weasley story line was completely dropped.  There's a brief scene of Percy holding on to Harry after Umbridge has raided the DA meeting, but if he wasn't even mentioned by name so I'm sure a lot of movie goers didn't even have a clue it was Ron's brother siding with the Ministry.  I think there's a glimpse of him at Fred's side after his death but that's it.   Actually if there is ever a series about secondary or tertiary characters I'd be interested to follow Percy's journey into collaboration through to redemption.  Even the books kind of gave it short shrift.

They gave Percy's story short shrift in the movies, but he was explicitly named as a Weasley sibling in the first 2 and maybe 3 films. Additionally, Percy's estrangement is in the films. During Order of the Phoenix, we never see Percy with the Weasley family. When we do see him, he's always with Ministry officials. He's at Harry's inquest for use of the Patronus charm. He's holding Harry when Umbridge raids the DA meeting. He's standing behind Fudge when they floo into the Ministry and see Voldemort alive. I can't remember if he's in Deathly Hallows 1, but he is in 2 finally by the Weasleys' side. It's obvious if you're a book reader. It might even be apparent if you're a really obsessive film-only fan. It's subtle, but it's there.

Dean Thomas is the character who is given really short shrift in the films and books. Stuff happens with him, but it's all off camera or off page. Like him dating Ginny comes out of nowhere and how they have this contentious relationship because of what exactly. Every scene with Seamus also has Dean, but Dean rarely has lines. He's in 7 of the 8 films and he probably only has a dozen lines across all of them. He's the most famous extra in the movies.

On 12/30/2017 at 0:52 PM, SnoGirl said:

Come-on, then we could see too how easily Neville could have been the choosen one.

I don't know how you would explore that because a single event is the sole reason the Harry is the chosen one not Neville. The prophecy was about a boy born in the end of July who would marked by the Dark Lord.* Voldemort decided it was Harry not Neville. Voldemort tried to kill Harry and failed. That's the reason Harry is the chosen one. Had Voldemort tried to kill Neville, Neville might be the chosen one, but I don't know how you explore that beyond a brief rumination. It was already over after that.

There is no ambiguity about the chosen one because Voldemort and his followers spend all of their time trying to kill and specifically manipulate Harry. If the attacks had more ambiguity about whom they were directed towards, it might lead you to wonder who is the chosen one. But by Order of the Phoenix, we know that Harry and Voldemort can see into the other's mind. Any speculation is over. 

Neville as the chosen one is an Elseworlds. He wasn't marked so he isn't the chosen one, but an Elseworlds explores a universe where it did happen.

* The exact prophecy

"The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies... and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not... and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives... the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies...."

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

The ages of the secondary characters, with very few exceptions (like Ginny), were never clear to me.  Was Lavender younger, too?  The Patil sisters, who were in different houses in the books, were the same age as Harry -- where were they earlier?  And where did they disappear to after Ron and Harry ruined the Yule Ball for them?  I mostly blame Ron for that.  I think if not for loyalty to Ron, Harry might have been out there on the dance floor, having fun.

Agreed about Percy, though.

Lavender and the Patils were in Harry's year.  During their Sorting, we see their names get called and a few lines over the first few books let us know that Lavender and Parvati become BFF and that Padma was sorted into Ravenclaw (proving that siblings aren't automatically in the same house).  The twins disappear with the Beauxbatons boys when Ron and Harry prove to be bad dates.

This is one of the many reasons I long for a miniseries reboot of the Potter verse.  With the exception of a couple chapters, everything is in Harry's point of view so we have to pay attention to the side characters he doesn't spend much time with.  We still learn things about them, like how Lavender and Parvati and Seamus and Dean are each BFF, but it's because they're in the same classes and dorm.  Harry never interacts with the two nameless female students who also room with Hermione (their class in Gryffindory was 5 boys and 5 girls) so we never learn their names.  We also never learn details about many other students because he doesn't interact with them.  Thanks to Pottermore, we know that Draco marries Astoria Greengrass, the younger sister of Daphne from his class of Slytherins, but Harry only interacts with Draco and his minions so we don't learn anything about either sister.  Was Daphne a member of the Inquisitorial Squad under Umbridge?  Was she a magic supremacist like Draco and his minions?  Did she have any family who were Death Eaters or supporters?  Was she close to her sister?  What were her likes and dislikes?  A miniseries could have fun with little character moments like these since they'd go in knowing that certain characters who seem like mere background have more importance that we (Harry) doesn't realize. 

Rowling broke down the pure-blood thing like this: if you can count back four generations before you and all of those direct ancestors are magic, then you are pure-blood.  If you have a parent, grandparent, or other ancestor within those four generations who is a muggle, then you're half blood.  If you can't find a single magical person within those generations, then you're muggleborn.  She also described magic as being a gene that can suddenly be dormant (making Squibs a thing) and suddenly show up (muggleborns) which made me wonder if that Granger wizard that Slughorn references in book 6 really is an ancestor of Hermione's and the magic gene had gone dormant in their family until she was born.  Hermione was never hung up on ancestry so I doubt she'd have considered going into genealogy to see if there's a magical ancestor on her family tree. 

Oh, and Hermione's attitude about being called 'mudblood' is also on my list of changes should they ever do a miniseries.  She didn't know what Draco was talking about in book 2 and, when Ron and Hagrid explained, she didn't care.  It was never a thing that bothered her because the people who were vocalizing their bigotry were people she didn't like or care about.  If Ron, Harry, a teacher, or a fellow Gryffindor had called her that, it would have devastated her because she cared about them and what they thought.  Notice how upset she was in book 1 when she overheard Ron calling her a nightmare.  She liked him and Harry and so his words hurt her.  She cared way more about the actions of Draco and other bigots because people could be hurt or killed.  That's a consistent trait that is thrown out in the movies.  Movie Hermione is devastated when Draco calls her a 'mudblood' and her "mudblood and proud of it!" line seems like she finally came to terms with it whereas in the book she says it to get Ron (who was always super offended when it was spoken) to gain some perspective.

It won't happen while the Fantastic Beasts movies is a thing but GIVE ME MY MINISERIES!!!

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Frost said:

YES, I loved the scene in Deathly Hallows when Percy comes back to Hogwarts to fight with his family. I sooo wanted it to be in the book movie.

4 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

They gave Percy's story short shrift in the movies, but he was explicitly named as a Weasley sibling in the first 2 and maybe 3 films. Additionally, Percy's estrangement is in the films. During Order of the Phoenix, we never see Percy with the Weasley family. When we do see him, he's always with Ministry officials. He's at Harry's inquest for use of the Patronus charm. He's holding Harry when Umbridge raids the DA meeting. He's standing behind Fudge when they floo into the Ministry and see Voldemort alive. I can't remember if he's in Deathly Hallows 1, but he is in 2 finally by the Weasleys' side. It's obvious if you're a book reader. It might even be apparent if you're a really obsessive film-only fan. It's subtle, but it's there.

I honestly don't remember them mentioning his as a sibling in any of the movies, & in fact, I remember wondering why nobody said anything about him being Ron's brother when they first went to Hogwarts in the first movie. 

Edited by GaT
because I said book when I meant movie
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

The twins disappear with the Beauxbatons boys when Ron and Harry prove to be bad dates.

Durmstrang, but then are never seen again.  Lavender's never again seen, even in the common room.  My point is, there were enough crowd scenes in the movies that these people could have at least been in the background somewhere.

I've always just assumed that Hermione and Lily were sports -- random mutations -- in their families, not necessarily a result of dormant genes.  I'd like to have a bit of a prequel about pre-Hogwarts Hermione and her parents.  She seemed so blase about magic and all, while Harry was enchanted and awestruck.  Maybe that's on Pottermore, but I never really got into that except to be sorted and acquire my wand and Patronus.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GaT said:

YES, I loved the scene in Deathly Hallows when Percy comes back to Hogwarts to fight with his family. I sooo wanted it to be in the movie.

I honestly don't remember them mentioning his as a sibling in any of the movies, & in fact, I remember wondering why nobody said anything about him being Ron's brother when they first went to Hogwarts in the first movie. 

Percy is there with the entire Weasley family when Harry runs into platform 9 3/4.

Percy isn't explicitly named as Ron's brother, but neither are Fred and George. Though they call Mrs. Weasley mum. Percy is in all of the Weasley family photos in the movies. He's at the breakfast table in the Weasley house when Harry visits in Chamber of Secrets.

Percy and Malfoy get into it when Harry and Ron drink polyjuice potion to impersonate Crabbe and Goyle. Draco calls Percy "Weasley." It's in the films that Percy is a Weasley sibling.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 3
On 12/30/2017 at 1:52 PM, SnoGirl said:

If they were ever to make a Harry Potter show, I would love to see Neville’s and Ginny’s stand at Hogwarts when everything else was going on outside of the school during that school year.

If more films or tv shows are made in this world, the absolute top of my list would be something about the four founders of Hogwarts. I would LOVE to see the historical context in which the school was founded, why and how they included so many quirky features in the school, and the whole tumultuous relationship between them. How are earth were Godric and Salazar even friends, and how did their relationship deteriorate? And for some reason, I’ve always suspected that Godric and Rowena had a secret affair. I’m not sure why this got into my head, but it would be fun to see.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, doram said:

I thought the whole point of making Book 7 into movies was this reason! I really have no idea how they managed to make what was arguably the book about the most boring Trio adventure into 2 boring Trio adventure movies!

Not according to Rowling. In the book, all the Slytherins stand against Harry. Every single one. 

It's been a while since I read the books but, I thought Slughorn came back with some of his Slytherin (former?) students and, fought against Voldemort?

My impression from the book was that Harry's contemporaries went to Voldemort but, older Slytherin chose to help Hogwarts.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

It's been a while since I read the books but, I thought Slughorn came back with some of his Slytherin (former?) students and, fought against Voldemort?

My impression from the book was that Harry's contemporaries went to Voldemort but, older Slytherin chose to help Hogwarts.

That's my recollection too.

I always had problems with this area "there's not a wizard went bad who wasn't from Slytherin"... Except the most famous one (Sirius) of course.

Plenty of Slytherin's didn't go bad, and defended the school. The number of wizards who went bad must have been a tiny number compared to those who fought.

7 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

There are decent people from Slytherin house in the books but, because 99% of it is from Harry's point of view, we have to dig deeper.  Slughorn returns to the battle with reinforcements and we can assume there are Slytherin alums in that group.  Tonks' mom Andromeda was a Slytherin alum and she's a good person.  Sirius pointed out a few family members to Harry who were removed from the family tree for not living up to the Black standard of assholery and all of them were in Slytherin.  Salazar himself was well liked by his fellow founders until his magic supremacy revealed itself, resulting in the falling out, and his removal from Hogwarts. 

Harry is told by Hagrid in the books (Ron in the movie) that all the bad witches and wizards were in Slytherin.  He has no reason not to believe this, especially once he's told that Voldemort was a Slytherin himself.  He's new to the Wizarding World, is being shown kindness for the first time in his life, so he accepts what he's told.  Draco being a rude brat in their first encounter, and Snape not hiding his hatred, only reinforces this.  What happens over the course of the series is that Harry is both told and shown examples of this not being true.  Pettigrew, a Gryffindor alum, turns out to be a traitor and Voldemort lackey.  Quirrell wasn't a Slytherin and he turns out to be a Voldemort supporter.  The Sorting Hat, during one of it's songs, reveals the different traits that each founder looked for to fill their respective houses and "being an asshole", "magical supremacist", and "dark magic practitioner/supporter" aren't among the preferred for Slytherin.  Harry's a kid who has to grow up very fast due to the looming threat of Voldemort and the destiny that awaits them both but he's still a kid in many other ways.  And lots of kids don't pick up on these kinds of things that are right in front of them.  If Harry had sat down and thought about it, he would have realized that the bad Slytherins he knew of certainly aren't the norm or majority.  Harry wasn't big on that kind of reflection.  When he did do it he was good at it but it wasn't something he made a habit of.  Rowling did that kind of thing for audience benefit, to let us know that this was one of those times when Harry wasn't seeing the big picture and was letting his own prejudices and rush to judgment cloud his point of view. 

Going back to digging deeper.  Hagrid tells Harry that all the bad witches and wizards were in Slytherin?  Well, it makes sense for Hagrid to believe that because he was in school with Tom Riddle and some of the early Death Eaters, all of whom were in Slytherin.  And, since the Death Eaters are a relatively new terrorist organization, and got their start at Hogwarts, it makes sense that many of them would be Slytherins.  Then they passed that mindset down to their children and the cycle continues.  Slytherin house has been corrupted by Death Eater children and sympathizers but I never thought we were supposed to see them all as evil.  It's just not possible.  Even before Tom Riddle, there was have been plenty of anti-muggle and anti-muggleborn prejudice in the Wizarding World, so it's not like he created it.  He exploited it for his own purposes and turned it into an organization but it predates him.  We've seen it show up in Fantastic Beasts, with the MACUSA having laws preventing magic and non-magic marriage, automatic and context-free memory wipe of any no-maj who witnesses magic.  Newt comments on it being harsher than what they have in Britain but we also know that the causal bigotry was prevalent there too.  The portrait of Phineas Nigellus calls Hermione a 'mudblood' and, since we know the portraits are echos of the real person, we can take this as evidence that he used it when he was alive.  The term is also used casually by Ministry employees in book 7, and there's no reason to think it was required.  They just have a government that allows them to say what they're really thinking (and says it themselves) so they use the term and participate in oppression.  And, unlike Thicknesse, they didn't have the excuse of being under an Imperius Curse.

I can spend weeks talking about the many things that the books did that I want to see in a mini-series but I'm going to keep it in theme and point out the prejudice and oppression of non- and part-humans.  House elves get it the worst, to the point that most of them genuinely believe their lives are great and would be ruined if they were set free.  But we've seen prejudice directed towards goblins, giants, werewolves, and centaurs.  Goblins seem to have done the best, in light of the rebellions that Harry and Ron didn't pay attention to in History of Magic, as they have carved out their place in the Wizarding World via Gringotts/finance/metalworking and the existence of the Goblin Liaison Office in the Ministry shows that there's at least someone giving them a place to be heard.  But we still see examples of them getting dicked around, like when Ludo owed them all the money and managed to avoid having to pay it.  The goblins he dealt with were pissed and a coverup was assumed.  Giants were treated so badly that most left Britain for the continent.  Hagrid hid his giant heritage because he knew hatred would rain down on him and he was right.  Rita Skeeter's article, the letters sent to Dumbledore by "concerned parents", and Umbridge's later tactics all show how quickly various Hogwarts alums (many of whom would have been at school with Hagrid and knew he himself was harmless) turned on him when the truth came out.  We all saw how Lupin was treated for being a werewolf, how he was so beaten down that he seriously thought abandoning Teddy was better than being in his life.  We saw Umbridge's treatment of the centaurs, we saw their anger when Hermione used her (Umbridge's) fear to their advantage, and were told early on that the relations between them and humans were strained at best.  The consequence of these poor relations plays out when Voldemort returns.  Voldemort uses the poor relations with the giants to get them to work for him.  He uses werewolves and the goblins stay mostly neutral thanks to these poor relations.  The only centaurs we see are in the Forbidden Forest but they're neutral while the Death Eaters run Hogwarts.  None of this is surprising after the set up of how these creatures are treated in the earlier books and it also demonstrates how anti-muggleborn and anti-muggle sentiment can even exist.  Once the Wizarding World finished establishing prejudice and oppression against the non-humans, it was only a matter of time before they turned on each other.  That predates even Hogwarts, so I'm not talking about anything new, but that's the kind of thread that can run well through a series.  It did with the books and it does in my fantasy mini-seies.  Plus, that consistent thread then makes acts rebellion like Griphook's (and his later inevitable and understandable betrayal at Gringotts), and the centaurs and house elves choosing sides in the Battle of Hogwarts all the more resonant. 

Heh, I always end up rambling when I get into Potter so:

TL;DR is that there are examples in the books that not all Slytherins are bad, the Wizarding World is full of prejudice that has nothing to do with Slytherin house, and I still desperately want a mini-series.

• Love 10
28 minutes ago, morakot said:

The books are very Gryffindor-focused. I keep thinking I want to see a book told from the Slytherin point of view -- about those dreadful jocks in Gryffindor.

Shhh! Don't give the writers of Once Upon A Time any ideas!

• Love 2

I'd love something else in the HP universe, (other the Fantastic Beasts/Cursed Child).   What I would love to see/have questions about:

a: Whenever the trio got in trouble, which they did a lot, what were the reactions of the parents.  Did Hogwarts send an owl to Petunia?

B.  How did Hermione's parents get to Australia if they think there names are different? Did she magically change their passports and identification?

C.  Did Ron and Hermione have two weddings, one for her parents friends in the muggle world and one in the wizarding world?

D.  When Harry married Ginny did he invite Petunia?

• Love 2

Has HBO always cut little snippets here and there?  I thought they showed movies uncut/unedited, but I noticed a few tiny scenes missing from Chamber of Secrets just now.  Probably not noticeable if you haven't seen the movies 49 billion times, though.  The one I noticed was when Harry and Ron, still partly under the influence of Polyjuice Potion run out of the Slytherin Common Room -- they did not encounter the real Crabbe and Goyle as they do in the real uncut version.

4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I still have a hard time reconciling the Neville we meet in the first movie with Matthew Lewis today.  They can't possibly be the same person, can they?  LOL

I thought they removed the character of Neville from Prisoner of Azkaban because I didn't recognize Matthew Lewis and was really salty about it until the DVD came out.

On 1/14/2018 at 9:44 PM, jennifer6973 said:

I'd love something else in the HP universe, (other the Fantastic Beasts/Cursed Child).   What I would love to see/have questions about:

a: Whenever the trio got in trouble, which they did a lot, what were the reactions of the parents.  Did Hogwarts send an owl to Petunia?

B.  How did Hermione's parents get to Australia if they think there names are different? Did she magically change their passports and identification?

C.  Did Ron and Hermione have two weddings, one for her parents friends in the muggle world and one in the wizarding world?

D.  When Harry married Ginny did he invite Petunia?

a. they did when Ron and Harry flew the car to school. This was the only time I recall. Harry knew he's aunt/uncle would be disappointed it didn't kill him, and Ron got a howler.

B. I wonder this too. Plus wouldn't there friends or other family notice them missing.

c.  I'd imagine just the one. Since her parents know about the wizarding world.

d. probably not lol. Seriously, I believe JK Rowling said that he invited Dudley.

Edited by blueray
On 1/14/2018 at 7:17 PM, morakot said:

The books are very Gryffindor-focused. I keep thinking I want to see a book told from the Slytherin point of view -- about those dreadful jocks in Gryffindor.

I came to previously.tv to see if there was a movie thread about Puffs Off Broadway (there wasn't) - good parody from the Hufflepuff point of view.  It was amazing, and if anyone reads this before Saturday when the last theatrical showing is- I highly recommend going. (Or go to the play if you are in NYC.)

On 4/23/2018 at 4:03 PM, Browncoat said:

I still have a hard time reconciling the Neville we meet in the first movie with Matthew Lewis today.  They can't possibly be the same person, can they?  LOL

A joke about this is even in that play.

• Love 1
On 4/23/2018 at 2:03 PM, Browncoat said:

It's amazing what veneers can do

b3e19d5090f21cfa788de035fb727fd3.jpg

• Love 4
1 hour ago, GaT said:

It's amazing what veneers can do

And yet it's not the veneers that make him nearly unrecognizable to me.  Cute, pudgy little kid to yowza! even with his mouth shut.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Skittl1321 said:

I came to previously.tv to see if there was a movie thread about Puffs Off Broadway (there wasn't) - good parody from the Hufflepuff point of view.  It was amazing, and if anyone reads this before Saturday when the last theatrical showing is- I highly recommend going. (Or go to the play if you are in NYC.)

A joke about this is even in that play.

I cosign the recommendation for Puffs.  I went to the Wednesday night showing and loved it, SO hilarious!  All the references and in-jokes were terrific, from the large-scale stuff (Harry's the specialest snowflake of all, Hogwarts is way too dangerous for children) to the little things (Order of the Phoenix being way too long, Voldemort's bizarre hug with Draco.)  Some of the character impressions, especially Snape and Moaning Myrtle, were awesome (or just awesomely funny - their Harry was ridiculous.)  And in general, I thought they struck a good balance between poking fun at the Hufflepuffs and still making them rootable - their group hugs were adorable.

On 5/11/2018 at 6:06 AM, angora said:

I cosign the recommendation for Puffs.  I went to the Wednesday night showing and loved it, SO hilarious!  All the references and in-jokes were terrific, from the large-scale stuff (Harry's the specialest snowflake of all, Hogwarts is way too dangerous for children) to the little things (Order of the Phoenix being way too long, Voldemort's bizarre hug with Draco.)  Some of the character impressions, especially Snape and Moaning Myrtle, were awesome (or just awesomely funny - their Harry was ridiculous.)  And in general, I thought they struck a good balance between poking fun at the Hufflepuffs and still making them rootable - their group hugs were adorable.

I thought some of the 90s jokes were as good as the Harry Potter jokes.  From the laughter in our audience, many of them were lost on the kids who grew up with the books (vs. being in high school or college when the books came out.)

I was catching up with the movies before they left HBO (today!), and was stunned at one of the deleted scenes in "Deathly Hallows, Part 1".  It is the scene at 4 Privet Lane, when Aunt Petunia and the other Dursleys are preparing to leave their home, on one day's notice.  It has always been one of my favourite scenes in the movies, and it was my last stop of favourite scenes in going through the films.   BUT, it is not in the HBO version; I guess I had always seen it in the Freeform presentations of the films (which I miss!).  But that moment when Harry and Petunia both connect over the loss of Lily is extremely powerful, even though Petunia cannot remove her resentment from reminding Harry that "you didn't just lose a mother; I lost a sister."  And you really do have to sympathize with her distress at standing in the empty living room and asking, "just like that", she was expected to leave her home of many years.  I never realized that long scene was not part of the theatrical release.  It is such an important scene to understanding Harry's family story.  

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:00 AM, jennifer6973 said:

I think they show the theatrical presentations, and Freeform added in the deleted scenes that were extras on the DVDs.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:22 AM, Browncoat said:

Has HBO always cut little snippets here and there?  I thought they showed movies uncut/unedited, but I noticed a few tiny scenes missing from Chamber of Secrets just now.  Probably not noticeable if you haven't seen the movies 49 billion times, though.  The one I noticed was when Harry and Ron, still partly under the influence of Polyjuice Potion run out of the Slytherin Common Room -- they did not encounter the real Crabbe and Goyle as they do in the real uncut version.