Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

As I understood it, she was the flame, he, the wind.

That makes more sense costume-wise.  So was she supposed to look like she was trying not to be blown out?  It was odd.

Jason is so good that I enjoyed a song I don’t like by a singer whose style usually drives me nuts (even though he seems to be a perfectly nice person and he seems to enjoy sending up his own style).

I was so happy for Torgaschev (i wonder if he’s first Florida born skater to medal). Jimmy Ma was such fun and I’ve glad he put it together. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Three skaters at Nationals whose parents were Russian champions—Ilia Malinin (Tatiana Malinin and Roman Skorniakov), Anthony Ponomarenko (Marina Klimova and Sergei Ponomarenko), and Maxim Naumov (Evgenia Shishkova and Vadim Naumov)—and they all medaled. (Maxim got pewter in the medals ceremony.)

Nice to see Rudy Galindo presenting the championship trophy to Ilia.

• Like 7
On 1/28/2023 at 5:24 PM, meep.meep said:

It's definitely a thing.  But I find myself telling Johnnie to stfu even more.

I notice that Johnny isn't over annunciating Russian names, which can still happen during the U.S. Championships due to the influx of Russian coaches immigrating, and now their CHILDREN who were born after they moved here, are old enough to compete for the U.S. I heard him say a couple of coaching names yesterday, but that's it. The whole doping thing during the Olympics seems to have tempered his orgasmic rapture for all things Russian. At least a little bit. Or the network told him to cool it after the scandal.

Glad they stuck Ben Agosto in the booth with Johnny and Terry for Ice Dance. Wasn't he in there for Pairs, too? Can't remember. 

Speaking of, STILL no Olympic team medals? It's been a freaking year and Russian is still stonewalling. Give the skaters their medals. You can always change the color later, if need be.

Jason Brown made me cry. Period, end of sentence. Bradie made me cry in her short program, and my god that DRESS was sublime.

Chock and Bates were magical. Even the small things, like her hand position, where her fingers actually look like flames. This program is MILES above I.AM's attempt to turn them into the next P/C with bodice ripping romance novels on ice. The unusual themes like the current "He's the wind and she's the fire," the space alien and the Snake, are their wheelhouse. And did anyone notice the stuffed snake that someone threw onto the ice and Madi picked it up and was thrilled. That routine will always be their trademark, but it's too bad that it was their free dance for 2020, and could not be performed at World's that year.

I missed Jean Luc Baker. 

Alexa and Brandon were miles above the rest, but they need to tighten it up before having to skate against the Japanese again. It was weird seeing Timothy LeDuc with a new partner, and one so tiny (compared to Ashley, who is taller).

My apathy for all four of the teams in the NFL conference championships made watching figure skating a no brainer. Between Peacock, NBC, E! and USA, I was happy. Figure skating always seems to be at a disadvantage, ratings wise. The U.S. Championships always compete with the NFL playoffs, and World's is always at the same time as March Madness. No win situations. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Jason has to be *the* smoothest, most elegant skater who ever existed. I just wish he'd chosen interesting music (something unusual, like Sinnerman). 

Even when he falls he manages to look elegant.  I think what I love most about Jason is the utter look of joy on his face when he is skating.  He just looks like he loves what he does - I haven’t seen that since Michelle Kwan.  

• Like 8
  • Love 3

OK, I know I'm alone in this, but I am apparently the only skating fan in the world who isn't enamored of Jason Brown. I'm just so tired of him. I much prefer watching a young up-and-coming skater like Samuel Mindra than the same-old, same-old from Jason Brown. He always skates to some emo drama ballad, God forbid he do something uplifting and fun. I mean, if you really want to watch a Jason Brown program you can go watch one of the countess ones he's done over the past decade. It's not like he's doing anything new.

I'm more than ready for him to retire and give his spot to someone who actually has a snowball's chance in hell of winning a World or Olympic championship. 

There, I've had my say. 

• Like 4

You're not the only one who feels that way about Jason Brown.  He surrounded himself with people who didn't challenge him to get better for years.  He could have had a quad jump but chose not to work on one for years and so, is not competitive at world level.

At least he finally cut his hair.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

Even when he falls he manages to look elegant.  I think what I love most about Jason is the utter look of joy on his face when he is skating.  He just looks like he loves what he does - I haven’t seen that since Michelle Kwan.  

Honestly, so many competitors look miserable to be there. They put so much pressure on themselves to do well. Jason Brown is a breath of fresh air in comparison. Men's figure skating has no shortage of talent right now, so I don't mind Jason Brown putting on a show in between the skaters who'll be going to Milan in a few years. I did think the raptourous applause after each of his elements was a bit much though.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I'm more than ready for him to retire and give his spot to someone who actually has a snowball's chance in hell of winning a World or Olympic championship. 

I’m still pretty salty that he got Ilia’s spot at the last Olympics.  Ilia needed that experience and earned the spot.

I enjoy watching Jason, but definitely think I would rather enjoy him at the exhibition than see someone else get screwed.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

You're not the only one who feels that way about Jason Brown.  He surrounded himself with people who didn't challenge him to get better for years.  He could have had a quad jump but chose not to work on one for years and so, is not competitive at world level.

At least he finally cut his hair.

The bolded part made me laugh out loud.  I'm pretty much a "once every four years" casual observer of figure skating.  Saw Jason Brown's name being bandied about and came here to see commentary.  I can't believe this guy is still around, I feel like he's been around forever.  I remember seeing him at the last Olympics and being shocked he hadn't retired because I could have sworn he was in the Olympics 12 or 8 years earlier but not at the one just previous.

I looked up the results for the European Championships.  I know Russians were banned, but it seems like a lot of skaters have Russian names.  Are they actually from these countries pre-Russian issues, or did they move there or were granted quick citizenship?  I know it's nothing new, but seems kind of suspect if country sport associations are sponsoring citizenships so easily.

Edited by blackwing
  • Like 1

Well, I did see that Team Noodlehead Cheaty McDrugPushers were coaching Daniel Grassl from Italy. So, they are finding ways around the ban. I was secretly happy to see his countryman Matteo Rizzo finish above him for that reason, only. 

Speaking of Italy and the Russian ban, the Italians seemed to be benefitting most from the Russians not being around at Euros. And I'm not sad about it. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Like 7
14 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I looked up the results for the European Championships.  I know Russians were banned, but it seems like a lot of skaters have Russian names.  Are they actually from these countries pre-Russian issues, or did they move there or were granted quick citizenship?  I know it's nothing new, but seems kind of suspect if country sport associations are sponsoring citizenships so easily.

Even pre-ban, most of the skaters representing Georgia have been from Moscow. Hopefully someone knows the rules better, but I believe there's a probationary period for representing a different country, so anyone who defects, won't qualify for another few seasons. Diana Davis, is allegedly doing this so she can represent the US, but didn't compete in either the Russian Nationals or US Nationals this season. 

• Like 1

If there are going to be Russians at World's, Isabeau better haul out a quad she's been practicing, but not performing. That really bugs me, Russian skaters moving to other former Soviet bloc countries. Something tells me these countries don't dare refuse to let the Russian skaters represent them. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Honestly, so many competitors look miserable to be there. They put so much pressure on themselves to do well. Jason Brown is a breath of fresh air in comparison. Men's figure skating has no shortage of talent right now, so I don't mind Jason Brown putting on a show in between the skaters who'll be going to Milan in a few years. I did think the raptourous applause after each of his elements was a bit much though.

Who the heck were the squealing screamers? Anytime a skater did something exciting or challenging (or even just wiggled his body--thanks Yaroslav 🤩) they'd scream.  Actually, this type of raucous shrieking, squealing noise seems to accompany just about every applause today.

I understand the feeling that a skater has hung on for too long.  I have felt that way about a number of skaters myself.  The thing (for me) about Jason is that he still has great skating skills and the best expressiveness going.  He is a true performer.  USFSA has to look to future talent, but they also have to send a team to Worlds that can try to get 3 spots for future competitions.  Jason wasn't expecting to be gifted anything here, he was skating for the joy of skating and performing in front of a crowd.  He has been a reliable top ten, often top six finisher.  You get an Ilia on the podium, then Jason's sixth or seventh place finish gets the 3 spots for next year.  I have always liked Torgashev's skating, but he has been erratic over the years,  Same for Camden,  Naumov and Paniot show promise, but I'd be really surprised if they could have placed higher than Jason at this Worlds. 

Ilia is an exciting jumper, and has a great exuberance for skating, but he needs much better music and choreography, especially in the long program.  How often does he put a clean short & long together?  He could win Worlds this time, or finish outside the top 10.  

I have to say that the Pairs competition was scary.  I was really anxious that one of the women was about to be injured during a lift.  I'm starting to wonder if maybe Pairs should be eliminated.  Has it gotten too risky for the women?  I enjoy watching a good routine, but when only one or two teams look solid I am concerned.

• Like 7
  • Applause 3

Pairs was definitely a splat-fest.

I admire Yaroslav Paniot for doing something to entertain the audience. I agree with a comment upthread that ever since they allowed vocals everyone is skating to slow, weepy ballads. That said, I noticed Yaroslav skates pretty slow and really telegraphs his jumps. 

It cracks me up every time Andrea Joyce sticks a microphone in front of Ilia. He's just such a kid! Typical, (somewhat) inarticulate high school kid. Not really a pro at doing these kinds of interviews. 

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Tippi said:

I understand the feeling that a skater has hung on for too long.  I have felt that way about a number of skaters myself.  The thing (for me) about Jason is that he still has great skating skills and the best expressiveness going.  He is a true performer.  USFSA has to look to future talent, but they also have to send a team to Worlds that can try to get 3 spots for future competitions.  Jason wasn't expecting to be gifted anything here, he was skating for the joy of skating and performing in front of a crowd.  He has been a reliable top ten, often top six finisher.  You get an Ilia on the podium, then Jason's sixth or seventh place finish gets the 3 spots for next year.  I have always liked Torgashev's skating, but he has been erratic over the years,  Same for Camden,  Naumov and Paniot show promise, but I'd be really surprised if they could have placed higher than Jason at this Worlds. 

Ilia is an exciting jumper, and has a great exuberance for skating, but he needs much better music and choreography, especially in the long program.  How often does he put a clean short & long together?  He could win Worlds this time, or finish outside the top 10.  

I have to say that the Pairs competition was scary.  I was really anxious that one of the women was about to be injured during a lift.  I'm starting to wonder if maybe Pairs should be eliminated.  Has it gotten too risky for the women?  I enjoy watching a good routine, but when only one or two teams look solid I am concerned.

Amen to the inclusion of Jason at Worlds (even though I don't feel the same about H/B being allowed to go despite being too ill with physical & mental issues to compete at Nationals). Re: pairs? I was really nervous watching several teams. I used to love watching pairs, but not so much these days.

• Like 1
On 1/29/2023 at 5:45 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Back at Skate America, Madison went on & on about how the FD was all about their love for each other, how that love has grown. Yesterday's FD didn't look like a love story to me. Whenever Terry tells us what the program/characters are about, I know it won't be a thriller. 

I definitely remember earlier in the season they had one of these more Hubbell/Donahue like flowy programs and then they realized that wasn't them and switched to this wind/flame one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I skipped Paniot but I remember it from last time -why  does every Elvis program have to have “Can’t Help Falling in Love”? “Now or Never” is right there, if you have to skate Kitsch Elvis. Why no one skates to the Sun Sessions Elvis (and I’m not even an Elvis fan!) But I do love his Saturday Night Fever program - he has obviously been made to watch the movie. 

2 hours ago, Tippi said:

The thing (for me) about Jason is that he still has great skating skills and the best expressiveness going.  He is a true performer.  USFSA has to look to future talent, but they also have to send a team to Worlds that can try to get 3 spots for future competitions.  Jason wasn't expecting to be gifted anything here, he was skating for the joy of skating and performing in front of a crowd.  He has been a reliable top ten, often top six finisher.  You get an Ilia on the podium, then Jason's sixth or seventh place finish gets the 3 spots for next year.

Yes indeed. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Who the heck were the squealing screamers? Anytime a skater did something exciting or challenging (or even just wiggled his body--thanks Yaroslav 🤩) they'd scream.  Actually, this type of raucous shrieking, squealing noise seems to accompany just about every applause today.

I noticed the squealing as well but it actually made me smile a bit--every closeup of spectators from the first few rows showed nothing but older people! (And of course there's nothing wrong with that but I want one of my favorite sports to continue and the demographics were worrying me.) So when I heard the squeals (meaning, shrieky teens are also in the house), I relaxed.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

It cracks me up every time Andrea Joyce sticks a microphone in front of Ilia. He's just such a kid! Typical, (somewhat) inarticulate high school kid. Not really a pro at doing these kinds of interviews. 

He is such a kid, in every way. I hope he's able to shake off his understandable disappointment and not be too hard on himself. As exciting as his 4A is, the media needs to back off a bit--I could tell as soon as he went out on the ice, he looked nervous.

• Like 3

I'm mixed about Jason Brown. I admire his skating skills, his charming personality, many of his programs (like "Sinnerman"), and his awesome spins. However, he'll never be competitive in international competition, whereas traditionally US men are so deep that they are super-competitive internationally. He skated lights out at the Olympics and placed sixth. So I feel as if if there's a promising young male talent in the US, they should develop him more than Jason Brown.

• Like 1

I've been up and down on Jason Brown over the years for many of the same reasons others have mentioned. But this year, I agree with the sentiment that they need him to go to secure 3 spots for the future. Everyone else is too inconsistent right now, or too young, other than Ilia. Get the three spots, start sending some of these other guys to GP events next year, and ramp up to hopefully have a couple step up to take the other two spots in 2024.

To me this was one of the easiest Worlds teams USFSA has had to select across all 4 disciplines in years. Basically straight podium for all but dance.

• Like 9
11 hours ago, redpencil said:

I've been up and down on Jason Brown over the years for many of the same reasons others have mentioned. But this year, I agree with the sentiment that they need him to go to secure 3 spots for the future. Everyone else is too inconsistent right now, or too young, other than Ilia. Get the three spots, start sending some of these other guys to GP events next year, and ramp up to hopefully have a couple step up to take the other two spots in 2024.

This. Jason Brown is clutch for a Top 10 finish. Ilia is the only skater to do well in the Grand Prix this season, but he isn't a lock for the podium. He has his bag of tricks, but he's yet to skate two clean programs, and the skaters from Japan are tough competition.

Last season, the US had three skaters in the final (Nathan, Vincent, and Jason.) This year, they couldn't even get another skater in the Top 10. Third place at Nationals doesn't even have enough points to qualify for World's yet (just like Ilia last season.) 

I think it's smart to send someone like Jason to help secure next year's slots. Jason has already started choegraphing for other skaters. He has a good deal doing Ice Shows. I highly doubt he'll be hogging international slots in 2025 or 2026 when Olympic prep truly matters. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

I've been up and down on Jason Brown over the years for many of the same reasons others have mentioned. But this year, I agree with the sentiment that they need him to go to secure 3 spots for the future.

Isn't that a Catch-22 though? We have to secure three spots so we can . . . send Jason Brown again next year? Do we have to send Jason Brown every year until the Olympics? And then send him back to the Olympics so we have a better shot at another team bronze?

I've had enough of Jason Brown. I don't care if we don't secure three spots at the next World Championships, playing it "safe" doesn't give someone new the experience they need. Maybe Ilia would have had a better Grand Prix season and a cleaner FS at Nationals if he'd been given his rightful spot at the Olympics.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Isn't that a Catch-22 though? We have to secure three spots so we can . . . send Jason Brown again next year? Do we have to send Jason Brown every year until the Olympics? And then send him back to the Olympics so we have a better shot at another team bronze?

I've had enough of Jason Brown. I don't care if we don't secure three spots at the next World Championships, playing it "safe" doesn't give someone new the experience they need. Maybe Ilia would have had a better Grand Prix season and a cleaner FS at Nationals if he'd been given his rightful spot at the Olympics.

I thought Ilia went to Worlds after the Olympics (that he wasn't selected to attend), & did not skate well. So, he may have also not performed well at the Olympics. Who knows?!?  Hopefully Jason will help us get 3 slots for next season. I doubt he's going to keep competing after this season. He'll be busy with shows & creating choreagraphies.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
On 1/29/2023 at 3:27 PM, Sarahsmile416 said:

As I understood it, she was the flame, he, the wind.

I'm glad the announcers explain these things!  No matter what ice skaters are trying to represent (rain, wind, snow, fire, etc), that never really resonates with me.  They can wave and flap their arms all they want to, but if I had to guess what they were representing, I'd never get it right!  I just enjoy watching beautiful skating.  

• Like 6
On 1/30/2023 at 3:58 PM, iMonrey said:

Andrea is a kind of crappy interviewer too and doesn't really give the people she's interviewing much to work with. Did she start interviewing skaters at every event like this when NBC took over airing the figure skating that airs on US TV? I don't think I remember her from the ABC days. 

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Andrea is a kind of crappy interviewer too and doesn't really give the people she's interviewing much to work with. Did she start interviewing skaters at every event like this when NBC took over airing the figure skating that airs on US TV? I don't think I remember her from the ABC days. 

I sure don't remember her from the ABC days. I was just telling someone the other day how great the coverage and camera work were when ABC covered figure skating. This past weekend, while watching Nationals, I wondered if Dick was also watching and what his thoughts were about figure skating today.

• Like 4

I wonder if Gilles/Poirier are going to be ready to compete at Worlds this year. They were on fire during the GP this season, and were a real threat for topping the podium at Worlds. I see they withdrew at the Canadian Nationals and now for 4Cs too.

On 1/30/2023 at 8:55 AM, ChicksDigScars said:

It was weird seeing Timothy LeDuc with a new partner, and one so tiny (compared to Ashley, who is taller).

You mean Danny?

4 hours ago, absnow54 said:

I wonder if Gilles/Poirier are going to be ready to compete at Worlds this year. They were on fire during the GP this season, and were a real threat for topping the podium at Worlds. I see they withdrew at the Canadian Nationals and now for 4Cs too.

Piper had an appendectomy before Canadians. I was surprised they were even on the entry list for 4CC so it makes sense they withdrew. 

On 1/30/2023 at 12:07 PM, absnow54 said:

Diana Davis, is allegedly doing this so she can represent the US, but didn't compete in either the Russian Nationals or US Nationals this season. 

I think the word is now they are going to represent Israel. 

• Useful 1
On 2/2/2023 at 12:47 AM, annzeepark914 said:

This past weekend, while watching Nationals, I wondered if Dick was also watching and what his thoughts were about figure skating today.

I LOVED Dick Button's commentary.  I still miss him.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, healthnut said:

You mean Danny?

Yeah. That guy. LOL. 

Notice that the Madisons have the appropriate facial expressions in the photo of them holding their empty medal cases (especially MH). Also an appropriate time for Donohue to put on his douche face. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Yeah. That guy. LOL. 

Notice that the Madisons have the appropriate facial expressions in the photo of them holding their empty medal cases (especially MH). Also an appropriate time for Donohue to put on his douche face. 

At least we don't have to see H/D pouting/glaring any more at competitions.  But look at the size of Madison Hubbell compared with Madison Chock. Donohue must be exceptionally strong to have done all those twisty turning lifts with a partner who wasn't tiny.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Frost said:

and I'm wondering why the Russians are allowed to skate,

There were no Russians at Europeans

3 hours ago, alexa said:

Who is the commentator that keeps yapping during the women’s European event on NBC?

Adam Rippon

• Like 1

I was surprised by how much Adam Rippon dragged Daniel Grassl for leaving his previous coach to join Sambo-70. He pointed out that she’s never coached a successful male skater, and her female skaters can barely maintain a career out of their teen years. I mean it was all true, I’m just surprised he was so candid about it. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 4

I must have misunderstood.  There was a graphic showing the top female skaters and the top three were Russian, but were greyed out.  Maybe it had to do with top scores of the season, regardless of where they were from, such as the Russian Nationals?  Since Russian skaters are banned from ISU events, they can't be considered the top skaters in the world?

7 minutes ago, Frost said:

I must have misunderstood.  There was a graphic showing the top female skaters and the top three were Russian, but were greyed out.  Maybe it had to do with top scores of the season, regardless of where they were from, such as the Russian Nationals?  Since Russian skaters are banned from ISU events, they can't be considered the top skaters in the world?

They darn well better not be. So, are there going to be Russians at World's now, skating for other countries? 

1 hour ago, Frost said:

I must have misunderstood.  There was a graphic showing the top female skaters and the top three were Russian, but were greyed out.  Maybe it had to do with top scores of the season, regardless of where they were from, such as the Russian Nationals?

I missed that part of the broadcast, but it potentially had to do with the 2022 European podium, when the Russian ladies swept it, in order to compare it to this year's field. 

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

They darn well better not be. So, are there going to be Russians at World's now, skating for other countries? 

There will be Russians at World's, skating for other countries, but that was the case even before the ban. Every skater from Georgia and Azerbaijan from last year's Word's teams was originally from Russia.

Edited by absnow54
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 2/5/2023 at 7:27 PM, perkie1968 said:

There were no Russians at Europeans

Adam Rippon

Thanks, I wondered if it was him.  He was just kind of odd in some of his commenting, and went on and on a bit.  Maybe he will chill out over time.

11 hours ago, alexa said:

He was just kind of odd in some of his commenting, and went on and on a bit. 

I think NBC tells it's commentaters to do a lot of talking, to explain everything to the audience listening, even though most people watching know what they're looking at, that's why they're watching!!

18 hours ago, absnow54 said:

There will be Russians at World's, skating for other countries, but that was the case even before the ban

Didn't the rule used to be that you had to have a parent from that second country in order to be allowed to skate for that country?  Has that changed?  Can anyone skate for any country now?  

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

I think NBC tells it's commentaters to do a lot of talking, to explain everything to the audience listening, even though most people watching know what they're looking at, that's why they're watching!!

Didn't the rule used to be that you had to have a parent from that second country in order to be allowed to skate for that country?  Has that changed?  Can anyone skate for any country now?  

I believe that Russian skaters can skate for any of the countries that derived from the former Soviet Union.  A lot of female skaters switched because Eteri and her group had such a stranglehold on the Russian women's team. Several formerly Russian skaters now skate for Georgia.

If skating pairs or dance; the couple can skate for either one of their home countries which lead to the phenomenon known as Rent-a-Russian.  There are so many more women looking for partners than men, and Russia has always been able to produce men who skate pairs or dance.  So, since the breakup of the Soviet Union, Russian male skaters have been in demand to move to other countries and partner with a woman there to skate pairs or dance.  He doesn't have to be a citizen to compete except for the Olympics.

Edited by Notabug
  • Useful 2