Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

What do the Russians mean when they say they won’t reveal the results of the investigation?  Are they not going to say whether or not she doped?  It would seem, if that is the case, that the whole thing is pointless.  Or is the Olympic medal case a separate thing?  I am so confused.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

What do the Russians mean when they say they won’t reveal the results of the investigation?  Are they not going to say whether or not she doped?  It would seem, if that is the case, that the whole thing is pointless.  Or is the Olympic medal case a separate thing?  I am so confused.

My assumption (so take it with not even a grain of salt) is that this is Russia's attempt to keep the gold: by not releasing a report, RUSADA can say anything it wants since it's hiding behind the "she was only 15!" excuse and basically try to manipulate WADA into letting the Russians keep that ill-gotten gold.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

My assumption (so take it with not even a grain of salt) is that this is Russia's attempt to keep the gold: by not releasing a report, RUSADA can say anything it wants since it's hiding behind the "she was only 15!" excuse and basically try to manipulate WADA into letting the Russians keep that ill-gotten gold.

Yes, this has been my take as well. Hopefully, WADA sres through this subterfuge and gets to the truth. 

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

by not releasing a report, RUSADA can say anything it wants since

That is what I couldn’t figure out - why have a hearing if you are not going to release a report?  If figure skating’s international body can “go rogue” and ignore RUSADA’s findings, what has been the point of the hearing?  It looks to me like the international governing body just lacks the intestinal fortitude to make a decision.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 11/8/2022 at 7:41 PM, Mittengirl said:

That is what I couldn’t figure out - why have a hearing if you are not going to release a report?  If figure skating’s international body can “go rogue” and ignore RUSADA’s findings, what has been the point of the hearing?  It looks to me like the international governing body just lacks the intestinal fortitude to make a decision.

Not really a lack of will, it's just that there are rules and procedures to follow. Any time a federation just decides to ignore the rules they can gum up the works for a bit.

• Like 1

Selected quotes from the Article- - I bolded the particularly interest comments, 

More than eight months after the Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva became one of the biggest stories of the Beijing Games for all the wrong reasons, the mystery behind her failed doping test that shrouded the Olympics remains unresolved.

How, and why, did Valieva, then 15, test positive for a banned heart drug just weeks before the Olympics?  Much of the attention has focused on Valieva’s hard-charging coach, Eteri Tutberidze, who rebuked Valieva on live television after the teenager’s faltering performance in the individual event in Beijing and has denied any role in doping. But less well known and sure to be a focus of investigators is the team’s doctor, Filipp Shvetsky, who has a history with performance-enhancing drugs."

"When asked if he had given Valieva or other Russian skaters substances to enhance their performance, Dr. Shvetsky wrote in an email to The New York Times this week that he “hasn’t seen evidence of the use of anything." “For an athlete to be well-prepared, he must be loved, and that’s it,” he wrote. This summer, Dr. Shvetsky told the Russian weekly newspaperLiteraturnaya Gazeta that any doctor, coach or athlete who uses banned drugs when a drug test is a certainty is “mentally deranged.”

Whether Dr. Shvetsky or anyone else will be implicated in Valieva’s positive test is yet to be determined. Russia’s antidoping agency, known as Rusada, said in a statement last month that it would not reveal the outcome of the Valieva case, drawing immediate protests from world antidoping authorities, who have now sent the case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport for a final ruling.

Dr. Shvetsky wrote that the Russian skaters don’t need to “look for a ‘miracle’” to be successful because their culture, training and nutrition give the most talented athletes the blueprint to be the best.

Valieva’s initial explanation for her failed test, according to an International Olympic Committee official, was that it might have resulted from contamination, possibly from the heart medication her grandfather was taking. Since then, Dr. Shvetsky has submitted to hours of interviews with Russian drug authorities, he said in his interview with Literaturnaya Gazeta. He said he had provided “a set of circumstantial facts that may determine the motive and possible malicious intent.”

Motive in the case is the most important thing, he said in an email this week, and he doesn’t believe that Valieva had a motive to use the heart drug.

Edited by KittenPokerCheater
  • Mind Blown 1

The thing that makes no sense to me is that it’s perfectly within anti-doping rules for Russia to say ‘results from competition where anti-doping sample was positive were voided; athlete was given a warning and no further sanction because of her age’. It would make pretty much everyone outside of Russia very very angry over that but there’s probably a 75-80% chance that CAS would uphold that ruling by RUSADA. 

Which would actually let Russia and Kamala get their OGMs but it’s like they figure they’d rather see her as a martyr than in possession of Olympic gold. 

I'd like to see Deniss be a surprise win. Unlikely, I know, but that would be my preference. As long as he medals, I'll be happy. 

Alexa and Brandon in first again after the short. They must feel amazing this season. 

• Love 3

The British crowd is certainly enthusiastic. They’re cheering everything including falls.  

Alexa and Brandon are certainly showing last year’s World Championship wasn’t a fluke. (I know, no Russians or Chinese, but when has the US done this well in Pairs?)

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

I'm excited that Marjorie & Zach seem to have definitively entered the 80+ RD club, since they've done it twice this season, though for whatever reason the camerawork for their performance today way mostly shot from bad angles (maybe the front-facing camera was malfunctioning?).

Camera work for figure skating has definitely gotten worse over the years. I used to blame NBC, but someone once said that when it's overseas, locals do the camera work. And yet, prior to NBC, I never noticed a difference & it was always good no matter where an event was held. All I know is, I never used to yell at the camera folks in the old days ('80's & '90's 🤨).

• Applause 1

Wow, Adam Siao Him Fa and Loena Hendrickx were both fantastic last weekend! I love that both have such a unique, distinctive style that totally fits their personalities. And I was really impressed by Rion Sumiyoshi - considering how deep the field is in Japan, she really stood out to me, and I will be keeping an eye out for her from here on. I loved her music too (even though Johnny had to go out of his way to pooh-pooh it, since because of course music that Johnny dislikes is music that's no good 🙄)

NBC's shitty coverage especially infuriates me because finally, finally, the ladies have a fair playing field with Eteri's cheaters out of the mix, and of course there's a whole new crop of up-and-coming skaters to watch. When you follow skating year after year (as opposed to every four years when the Olympics roll around) and watch as various skaters develop and grow, it's so rewarding when they finally get their moments and rise to the top. By not getting to see most of the skating except for a few select highlights, it really detracts from the appreciation for and enjoyment of this sport. So frustrating, and so unfair.

(And yes, I know VPNs and Youtube are probably the best bet at this point, but I prefer watching on my tv like the old-fashioned dinosaur that I am, so I can take my time and enjoy it.)

46 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Camera work for figure skating has definitely gotten worse over the years. I used to blame NBC, but someone once said that when it's overseas, locals do the camera work. And yet, prior to NBC, I never noticed a difference & it was always good no matter where an event was held. All I know is, I never used to yell at the camera folks in the old days ('80's & '90's 🤨).

The French camera work is especially bad, I noticed that last year too. Yes, please give me an artful fade-in to a close up of the skater's sequined belt rather than showing the amazing spin they're doing 😒 And several times at GPdF the camera shook as though someone knocked into it. Do better, France!

• Applause 2
  • Love 3

Anyone who skates to "Otonal" (Weir's LP in season 2004-05) should not be snarking about another skater's music choice. Autocorrect keeps trying to change the spelling of Otonal to optional (heck...I'm glad I looked up the spelling because I was calling it Atonal 🤓).

• LOL 3
55 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Anyone who skates to "Otonal" (Weir's LP in season 2004-05) should not be snarking about another skater's music choice. Autocorrect keeps trying to change the spelling of Otonal to optional (heck...I'm glad I looked up the spelling because I was calling it Atonal 🤓).

Yuzu used his Otonal program for what seemed like 10 years. 😉

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Just by looking at results--looks like Bradie had some really rough skates in the SP and LP. 

Isabeau got the silver, so that's two silvers for her on the GP.  Hopefully she'll make the GP Final.

Sad for Roman, such a beautiful skater.  Who is his coach?  Could Orser possibly take him into his group?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Tippi said:

Sad for Roman, such a beautiful skater.  Who is his coach?  Could Orser possibly take him into his group?

According to Wikipedia, Sadovsky worked with Brian Orser during the 2016-17 season. Apparently Jason Brown has been helping him with choreography this season. 

• Useful 2

The last three skaters were skating with the artistry from back in the day. It was nice to see. I was checking out Mai's spiral, but it wasn't really a true change edge (like you know who's). I didn't know Gabby was attending Harvard. That makes it tougher to train for these events.

• Like 2

What's grueling is, assuming the CAS rules in WADA's favor, it then has to bounce back to the IOC and/or ISU to determine how they're going to handle Russia's team medal, because even if they zeroed out Vallieva's scores, Russia would still win the bronze, unless they give all the ladies a point bump, in which case, Canada eeks out by a point, and Roman Sadovsky wins a bronze medal for that Olympics. 

I do not understand why U.S. Figure Skating allowed or encouraged Bradie to compete in the GP event this past weekend. Why not send her to a lower level international competition or have her earn her spot to nationals by competing domestically??

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, specialj67 said:

I do not understand why U.S. Figure Skating allowed or encouraged Bradie to compete in the GP event this past weekend. Why not send her to a lower level international competition or have her earn her spot to nationals by competing domestically??

Not only that, they gave her two slots!

• Fire 1

I think they want Bradie to skate because it will almost guarantee tv network will cover it.  She’s pretty much the only recognizable name for the general audience who only watches castually.

My mind if blown about Kamila- about time.  I feel sorry for her, but that is why the age should be raised to 18 so that skaters be held accountable.  I have no doubt she knew she was taking something fishy- it’s part of the culture at Eteris.  To win at all costs.

• Like 4
21 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

She went because it gives her a bye into Nationals. Better that than need real results in Sectionals in her condition. 

I too am baffled that she got 2 spots after a full year off the ice.

Because there are ISU rules in place that allow returning skaters to get GP events. I'd have to look up the specifics with regard to skaters returning from injury, as opposed to returning after taking time off, say like Virtue and Moir did.  

Edit: Rika got her GP spots this year because of the rule, too. 

Edited by ramurphy2005
  • Useful 2

So NHK Trophy this weekend is going to be a bloodbath in singles. Skaters competing include:

Men

Cha Jun-hwan (Skate America bronze)

Shoma Uno (Skate Canada gold)

Matteo Rizzo (Skate Canada bronze)

Adam Siao Him Fa (Grand Prix France gold)

Sota Yamamoto (Grand Prix France silver)

Kazuki Tomono (Grand Prix France bronze)

Women

Kaori Sakamoto (Skate America gold)

Amber Glenn (Skate America bronze)

Rinka Watanabe (Skate Canada gold)

Starr Andrews (Skate Canada silver)

Kim Ye-lim (Grand Prix France silver)

Rion Sumiyoshi (Grand Prix France bronze)

This weekend will definitely impact who ends up in the Grand Prix Final.

Edited by Domenicholas
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4