Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

I have complained about when I go into this topic, it takes me to the first post, not the first unread post.  Well, I found a workaround.

Bookmark the topic, then edit the bookmark so the URL says:

https://forums. primetimer.com/ topic/2875-figure-skating /?do=getNewComment

I've added spaces after "forums." , "primetimer.com/", and "figure-skating", so take those spaces out.

Then if I see on the "Followed Topics" page that there's been a new post, I use my bookmark to go to the new post.

It's cumbersome but it seems to work for me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 8/1/2023 at 6:11 PM, MaryMitch said:

Then if I see on the "Followed Topics" page that there's been a new post, I use my bookmark to go to the new post.

It's cumbersome but it seems to work for me.

Thank you so much for this. There's something under the Bug Fixes topic about using Streams that seemed complicated - but never a real fix for this after months of requests. This is far easier.

I have a selection of bookmarks on my homepage, and I've added this workaround for a couple of topics I follow. I can go directly to them now to check, bypassing having to go through multiple steps even to get to Topics to look for unread content. (I use protopage.com for my homepage; it's totally customizable.) Great workaround! Thank you again!

• Like 1

Yuzuru Hanyu Announces Marriage

I’m sure many of his more passionate supporters are struggling with this news. He didn’t name his spouse which is odd. But then in the context of who Hanyu is and how many obsession over him I can see why he’d want to keep his spouse out of the media as much as possible. 

Congratulations to him! 

Edited by Enero
  • Like 4
34 minutes ago, Enero said:

Yuzuru Hanyu Announces Marriage

I’m sure many of his more passionate supporters are struggling with this news. He didn’t name his spouse which is odd. But then in the context of who Hanyu is and how many obsession over him I can see why he’d want to keep his spouse out of the media as much as possible. 

Congratulations to him! 

The Fanyus must be hysterical. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
On 8/1/2023 at 6:48 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Uncle Dick's 94th birthday was July 18th!! Who knew? Obviously not me. I still miss his educational (& oftentimes hilarious) commentary. Also learned there's a Dick Button trophy room at the Skate Club of Boston. 

Ashley Wagner and Adam Rippon have a fun skating podcast, and their intro music is a bunch of Dick Button quotes.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
On 8/4/2023 at 5:16 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

The Fanyus must be hysterical. 

Yeah, I immediately worried about him and the spouse once they announced the news. Good on him for keeping the identity of the spouse quiet for now. I hope they're happy together and are able to celebrate this special time.

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, Avaleigh said:

Yeah, I immediately worried about him and the spouse once they announced the news. Good on him for keeping the identity of the spouse quiet for now. I hope they're happy together and are able to celebrate this special time.

What a price to pay for excelling in a sport. I hope his spouse will be safe. His fans are OTT obsessed.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, SeanC said:

How horrible. I remember watching them compete. Tragedies like this always remind me of that book, written by Rabbi Harold Kushner, whose young son died. The title was, "When Bad Things Happen To Good People".

46 minutes ago, justmehere said:

Deniss Vasiljev FS preview - placeholder jumps only, but if he can land everything and keep this expression... wow:

Wow!  What a beautiful place to train. Chalets and mountains outside the big windows. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, justmehere said:

Deniss Vasiljev FS preview - placeholder jumps only, but if he can land everything and keep this expression... wow:

What a gorgeous program! I adore his loose, throwaway energy--and what a terrific application of a blues piece to the ice!

And yes, that background--chalet, mountains--is spectacular1

I wonder if any folks are advising Jason that his winning strengths are with programs like Sinnerman. While rewatching it the other day, I thought, he's doing a modern dance out there on the ice. Last night I was reading some more about him and read a small article in which someone mentioned that he was doing a "Horton dance", some type of historic type of Black dance. No one else has ever done skating like this (that I can think of).

• Like 2
16 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I wonder if any folks are advising Jason that his winning strengths are with programs like Sinnerman. While rewatching it the other day, I thought, he's doing a modern dance out there on the ice. Last night I was reading some more about him and read a small article in which someone mentioned that he was doing a "Horton dance", some type of historic type of Black dance. No one else has ever done skating like this (that I can think of).

This inspired me to Google “Horton”+”dance” and watch a couple of videos of dancers and choreographers practicing the same kinds of sweeping and angular movements from Jason’s Sinnerman program. So cool to see where skaters and skating choreographers draw inspiration from! And proof that, once again, it is possible to meld art and athleticism AND create a program that satisfies all of the requirements of the current scoring system. It also shows, in my estimation, the value of encouraging skaters to keep competing later into adulthood if they still have the desire and ability and proper resources. You can’t get that level of sophistication from most 16-18 year-old skaters—you just can’t. It takes years to develop a distinctive skating style and to get truly comfortable with who you are as a skater. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

There are very few excellent choreographers in skating, IMO. Two of them are Lori Nichols & Pasquale Camerlengo. Rohene is very good. I remember when Michelle left Nichols as I could see the difference (arms flailing up and down, no more stellar interpretations of her music). It may be just me but ever since vocals were allowed, it feels like too many skaters let the singer do all the work as the skater just moves from one element to another. But, I'm ready for the new season & hope to see some really great choreography (along with great skating!)

• Applause 2
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I can't read the entire schedule. Am I to assume that Peacock isn't covering the live Grand Prix events this year? WTF? 

There's a second table for "remainder of coverage" at the bottom of the page, and it looks like Peacock is covering everything, although it's just a blanket statement per event without events/times.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, absnow54 said:

There's a second table for "remainder of coverage" at the bottom of the page, and it looks like Peacock is covering everything, although it's just a blanket statement per event without events/times.

Totally missed that! It does look like they're covering the Grand Prix on Peacock with the highlight show on NBC (usually on Sunday). 

1 hour ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Debi Thomas came in second in the World Figures and Fancy Skating competition in Lake Placid. I hope she has come back to a good place in her life. I always enjoyed her skating.

It seems like it was only a few years ago that she was living in a decrepit, bedbug infested, old trailer with a drug addict, somewhere in Appalachia. Did someone get involved and rescue her? 

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

It seems like it was only a few years ago that she was living in a decrepit, bedbug infested, old trailer with a drug addict, somewhere in Appalachia. Did someone get involved and rescue her? 

I've watched her Insta, saw her on Skating Lesson and read various news reports, etc and there is no mention of what she's doing now, outside of skating. Per the NY Post, as of 2018, she was still with the guy and selling gold bars in what sounds like a MLM thing. But who knows?

• Sad 1
55 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I just read an article at NBC Sports.com that said while Knierem & Frasier are not competing in the Grand Prix, they have not announced their retirement. What can this mean, if anything? 

I guess it's possible that they go the Jason Brown route and come back for Nats and Worlds. But I don't think they're even in the same state most of the time, so don't get your hopes up. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
Typo that was also a word
  • Sad 1
16 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Who's ready for Skate America? Can't wait for the Saturday binge of all four disciplines. ⛸️

I'm very ready but doubt I'll get to see much since I don't have Peacock. If NBC is the broadcaster of Olympic type sports, IMO they shouldn't be parsing out bits and pieces of figure skating competition coverage while also charging for us to see certain disciplines' SP's &/or LP's.  Something's just not right about this.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
35 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Who's ready for Skate America? Can't wait for the Saturday binge of all four disciplines. ⛸️

Uh,  if you get CABLE,  E!  is showing three hours on Friday night and 3 hours on Sunday afternoon.  

• Useful 1
10 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Uh,  if you get CABLE,  E!  is showing three hours on Friday night and 3 hours on Sunday afternoon.  

So who's showing ice dance's rhythm dance?  I've got E! But when I checked the schedule provided by another poster, it didn't show the RD.

1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:

Also, the coverage on E!, USA, etc generally only shows the final two flights of any given discipline, so too bad for anyone who would like to watch the lesser-ranked skaters.

There are only two fights per discipline in the Grand Prix. 

And yes, I have reminders set for all the E! coverage. 😄

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

Yup, from next week on the only Grand Prix coverage is the highlights reel on Sundays. Thanks, NBC. 🙄 At least we should get better coverage of the final in December.

I believe Peacock will have the ISU feed of the rest of the Grand Prix live. That's how it's been done in past years.