Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

58 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

@annzeepark914 that is a great video.

TSL has moved beyond a paywall for their coverage of competitions now.  They may be controversial, but I learned a lot- especially from Jonathan.  I will miss them, and hope they will change their minds.

I know Dave is controversial, and I understand some of the criticism, but I applaud the deep dive he's done into Russia and various skating topics over the years. I don't always agree with him, but I absolutely love that he loves skating and does his best to get others excited about it. I love Jonathan and will miss him too. I  can't justify spending money for his commentary on OnlyFans Patreon, but I absolutely wish him the best and hope he and Jonathan are successful with it.

• Like 2
On 3/27/2024 at 6:52 PM, KittenPokerCheater said:

TSL has moved beyond a paywall for their coverage of competitions now.  They may be controversial, but I learned a lot- especially from Jonathan.  I will miss them, and hope they will change their minds.

I will recommend a couple of podcasts/skating channels for you:

The Cutting Edge: A Figure Skating Podcast (good for competition recaps)

Listen on Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-cutting-edge-a-figure-skating-podcast/id1545036058

This Week in Skating Podcast (good for news and interviews)

Listen on Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/this-week-in-skating-podcast/id1621874792

They are also on Spotify and The Cutting Edge recently started putting hers up on YouTube.

A lot of people like Ashley Wagner and Adam Rippon's podcast, The Runthrough. It's not my personal favorite but it's popular.

I watch Anything GOEs sometimes, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 1

In adjacent to skating news, for US folks, the men's basketball final four is this weekend and Terry Gannon is attending to cheer on NC State. He's done several interviews this week for publications and he was on ACC radio and PGA radio on Sirius (you can find them if you're a subscriber and so inclined!). The game is Saturday starting at 6 PM Eastern, on TBS/TNT/TruTV.

I laughed when I was watching the women's long on my own tape delay and  stumbled over their Go Pack banter when they were waiting for Nina Pinzarone to get on the ice.

Also, the NBC wrap up show is on next Sunday, April 14 at 3 Eastern. Not sure what they'll show.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)

I just read that Johnny and Tara, along with Terry, will be hosting the closing ceremonies at the Olympics in August, with Mike Tirico and Jimmy Fallon.  The article also mentioned that there will be other hosts.  This was at Google News, from a Delaware news source.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I just read that Johnny and Tara, along with Terry, will be hosting the closing ceremonies at the Olympics in August, with Mike Tirico and Jimmy Fallon.  The article also mentioned that there will be other hosts.  This was at Google News, from a Delaware news source.

What has made me laugh so hard about this announcement - besides the outrage about Fallon - is outrage from supposed Olympics fans, about winter athletes hosting the summer closing ceremonies.

Y'know, because they were so invested in the last summer closing ceremonies...hosted by Terry, Tara and Johnny.

I felt sorry for Terry - every article had pictures and bio of everyone else, but tossed Terry off as "NBC Sports host" and often with no photo.

• Like 2

Terry is such a nice guy. Figure skating is so lucky to have him. During the NCAA's maybe 1.5 weeks ago, there was some delay or cancellation because I came across a documentary re: Jim Valvano. Terry was shown talking about being a player on that 1983 championship team. I lived in Raleigh back then and fondly remember Terry on TV, as a spokesman for the local animal shelter. I don't know how he can stand being around Tara & Johnny. And now he'll have to contend with Fallon? Sheesh 🙄.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

During the NCAA's maybe 1.5 weeks ago, there was some delay or cancellation because I came across a documentary re: Jim Valvano. Terry was shown talking about being a player on that 1983 championship team.

Survive and Advance? I recommend that to everyone I can, even non Terry/non basketball fans - it's funny and sad and uplifting all at once. Great documentary!

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I missed the first 45 minutes today.  In pairs, I really like the German team. For me, the best program in this wrap was G/P's Wuthering Heights FD. Those screeching violins brought back scary memories of the original Psycho. That music and the dramatic presentation + their lifts kept me glued to their every move. I hit the mute for Jason's LP.  Ilia's championship performance was again so much fun to watch. It's also great to see his coach/dad's excited reaction to that LP.

• Like 3

I haven't watched all of today's airing but it's listed in my DVR as the Gala, and in the first hour I saw no signs of the Gala. Way to go, NBC. (Any signs of Adam's LP? Yes, I am stupidly optimistic)

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I hit the mute for Jason's LP

I love Jason Brown more than any other skater I've ever watched, but I too have had to mute his LP music all season. Groban's a big no for me, and I just can't hear Impossible Dream without thinking of the movie American Dreamz.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

I haven't watched all of today's airing but it's listed in my DVR as the Gala, and in the first hour I saw no signs of the Gala. Way to go, NBC. (Any signs of Adam's LP? Yes, I am stupidly optimistic)

I love Jason Brown more than any other skater I've ever watched, but I too have had to mute his LP music all season. Groban's a big no for me, and I just can't hear Impossible Dream without thinking of the movie American Dreamz.

This was known as the Wrap (of Worlds). It had nothing to do with the gala. I put it on my calendar so I wouldn't miss it. And yes, at the start of showing the top skaters in the men's LP, they showed Adam's astounding leap from 19th in the SP standings, to 1st place in the LP...until Kagayama and then Ilia skated.  Adam is competition for Ilia as he has the artistry on top of his 4 quads (he's probably right now working on adding two more quads!) I disliked Impossible Dream when it first came out, found it boring. Jason needs to have two interesting programs next season if he plans to continue competing (some of us are spoiled after Sinnerman & the Irish step dancing number 😁).

• Like 4
On 4/12/2024 at 1:53 PM, ML89 said:

Survive and Advance? I recommend that to everyone I can, even non Terry/non basketball fans - it's funny and sad and uplifting all at once. Great documentary!

Thanks for recommending this - I watched it on Disney+. It's a great story (and Terry looked so young)!

• Love 1