Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

I don't know why backflips are still illegal. They aren't more dangerous than a quad Axel. And with the addition of choreographed elements like cartwheels and somersaults, the one-foot landing rule seems to make no sense either. Call it a leap, not a jump, and let those who want to do it add it to the program.

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I don't know why backflips are still illegal. They aren't more dangerous than a quad Axel. And with the addition of choreographed elements like cartwheels and somersaults, the one-foot landing rule seems to make no sense either. Call it a leap, not a jump, and let those who want to do it add it to the program.

I didn't think that backflips were illegal because of any potential danger factor. I thought the decision to keep them out of competition early on was to keep the sport from becoming gymnastics on ice. I'm curious now to know though what the "official" reason is.

That being said, I mostly agree with you. I think my primary concern is that I don't want a backflip to become yet another element that everyone feels they have to do in order to get more points. I worry that every program will include them even from skaters who don't do them well. 

Still, I don't think skaters should lose points with these tumbling style elements. I just don't want a backflip to turn into an unofficial requirement.

Theoretically though if people want to have the option of including a "leap" of some kind on the choreo sequence, I'm more than okay with that. It seems to excite the audience and viewers, and skating is in a place where it really needs a shot in the arm. If it takes backflips to get more people to watch, I say why not?

• Like 2

Remember when Yagudin's footwork got the crowd going (was that in 2009/10 season?) It went perfectly with his music. The next season, all the men seemed to be trying to do similar footwork. At least sensational, crowd-wowing footwork requires very good skating skills. 

Whatever happened to the leaps that were to be allowed in ice dance? I haven't seen anything memorable (a la Charlie White 😊).

• Like 6

Oh, I am so sad. Hawayak and Baker are withdrawing from competition for the rest of the season. Not too surprising, but I had hope for Nationals. According to their Instagram post, they're evaluating future options, but this feels possibly like goodbye. They've posted video of what would have been their free dance... so, so beautiful. If they compete next season (and I dearly hope they do), I hope they keep this dance.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2ILJCgR1AS/?igsh=YTQ1aGg1ZzF5aGtj

and here's the video on YouTube - for full screen, if you like:

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Kaitlyn has suffered multiple concussions. I know that's derailed them in past years. They've made no mention why they didn't compete this year. 

If this is it, I wish them well. I've been a fan for a long time, and they will be missed. 

• Useful 1
12 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Are H/B injured and that is why they are withdrawing from the season, or is it general fatigue, which is also a truly valid reason?

That dance looks beautiful.

I think I read somewhere that one of them possibly was dealing with a concussion? I think? 

I also wouldn’t be surprised if burnout is a factor in their decision too. I loved the video they shared. It would be wonderful to see them compete with the program in the future, but if this is all we get, it is more than enough. 🫶🏻

• Like 2

Baker has been recovering from a concussion.

I’m not surprised at this news, but I’m sorry to hear it. I’ve always felt they were underrated (and I loved this video).

• Sad 1

Gracie Gold is releasing a memoir entitled "Outofshapeworthlessloser: A Memoir of Figure Skating, F*cking Up, and Figuring It Out." The title alone makes it sound like it's worth reading. She is not competing, but will be in Columbus next week for Nationals, where she will be promoting the book and being one of the skaters in Boitano's Lounge, where for a measly $300 a night, you can meet and greet with Boitano and other former skaters.

• Useful 3

Poor Bradie! Perhaps it is time for her to go on to the next chapter in her life.

I guess Ava figures her best chance of making the Worlds team is to medal at 4CC.  I think the Worlds team is not going to be named until after 4CC. Nationals this year is a week later than usual so there is only a one-week interval between US Nationals and 4CC, which is in Shanghai. The US 4CC team has already been named, with lots of alternates. I wonder why the USFSA scheduled Nationals so late?

• Like 2
7 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I haven't seen this FD since that event. Maybe it's my imagination, but has ice dance mellowed a bit since the Davis &  White era? 

IDK about it mellowing so much as the dramatic aesthetic of the current era being less driven by these more character-y pieces that were so abundant 10-15 years ago.

• Useful 1
On 1/18/2024 at 12:02 PM, Good Queen Jane said:

She is not competing

Oh thank God.

I have great respect for Gracie's courage and honesty but I am so tired of cringing my way through her therapy sessions on ice.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 1/18/2024 at 2:06 PM, honeywest said:

Too bad. I was so looking forward to seeing her compete here. Hopefully she has an amazing skate at 4CC and is chosen for the world team. 

I too am curious why nationals is so late this year. 

I always look forward to nationals, but I feel like this year isn't going to be especially exciting. I don't think there are going to be any surprises as far as the winners go. 

I loved Davis and White's Phantom. I go back and forth between this and Bollywood as my favorites of their's. I think Phantom is a showcase for Charlie, while Bollywood is Meryl.  

Skipping Nationals for 4CC? Tell me that's not weird.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I loved Davis and White's Phantom. I go back and forth between this and Bollywood as my favorites of their's. I think Phantom is a showcase for Charlie, while Bollywood is Meryl.  

Skipping Nationals for 4CC? Tell me that's not weird.

Me too! Both of these programs are stunning and you're right: Phantom was Charlie's show & Bollywood was Meryl's. So much dancing & acting that people can forget about how it was all done at top speed, on thin blades upon a very slick & dangerous surface. I really miss D/W.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Interesting comments during the RD. It might have been Terry who reminded us that Flores was ghosted by Tsanevski a few years ago. I'd forgotten all about that. At first, when he just disappeared, everyone wondered if he'd "met with foul play" as they say. What a nebbish. He didn't have the guts to face Flores to terminate the skating partnership. Now he's competing with Wolfkostin. 

• Useful 1

I know it's futile, but I sure wish Johnny and Tara would take a breather now and again and let us hear the music!  They talk incessantly.   Watching figure skating is more than counting the points, it's seeing how the skater interprets the music.  And when you can't hear it, the performance loses a lot of emotional impact.  Luckily the judges don't have to hear it.  I just wish I didn't either!

• Like 3
  • Applause 5
On 1/21/2024 at 7:24 PM, honeywest said:

Lauriault and LeGac are replacing Lajoie and Lagha at 4CC.

I loved Lauriault/LeGac's  free skate to The Corpse Bride, very different and entertaining, they won a medal, silver I believe.   Had to watch all these skates on-line, CBC (here in Canada) always carried figure skating but nothing this year at all, so frustrating. 

The Bronze medal team was very good as well, (can't remember the names and too lazy to look it up) I believe their choriography was by Madison Hubbell, good job, both teams are coached by Dubriel/Lauzan.

5 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

I know, I’ve been wondering if Tara’s getting paid by the word or something, because she just. Never. Shuts. Up. It’s been infuriating to watch.

If you watch on Peacock you get Ashley Wagner and Adam Ripon who do occasionally stop talking.  But then you have to put up with Peacock weirdness like the blank screens while they're running the Zamboni.

I suspect Tara is just like that in real life.

10 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

If you watch on Peacock you get Ashley Wagner and Adam Ripon who do occasionally stop talking.  But then you have to put up with Peacock weirdness like the blank screens while they're running the Zamboni.

I suspect Tara is just like that in real life.

To watch Women's LP live, I have to suffer through Adam and Ashley. Consensus is that they're even worse than Johnny and Tara. 

Torgashev! Torgashev! Torgashev! Just having fun with the old Mandelbaum cheer from Seinfeld. When these young skaters *finally* have a great skate at Nationals, it warms my heart. Naumov too! I love seeing guys like Naumov & Mallinin sitting with their dad's in the Kiss & Cry.  I also loved seeing Nancy Kerrigan, just now, chatting with Terry, Tara & Johnny. I miss the "queens" of figure skating (Nancy, Kristi, Michelle, Alyssa, etc).

• Like 2

I am so annoyed by the technical score box. Tara and Johnny keep harping on how the GOE is so important, and we don't even see the GOE; we have to calculate it. Why are they making us do math?

And showing the "Max possible" for the ice dancing is ridiculous. Don't they have base values and GOEs? If not, what have we been looking at on every other competition?

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Frost said:

I know it's futile, but I sure wish Johnny and Tara would take a breather now and again and let us hear the music!  They talk incessantly.   Watching figure skating is more than counting the points, it's seeing how the skater interprets the music.  And when you can't hear it, the performance loses a lot of emotional impact.  Luckily the judges don't have to hear it.  I just wish I didn't either!

I think it’s even worse when skaters are using vocal music. It feels like the commentators are competing with whoever is singing.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I'm trying to watch women's senior LP but first...hey! it's moved to NBC (& not on USA).  Don't we love scrambling to watch our favorite sport. And now that I'm on NBC? It's just repeats from yesterday. Gee...does ESPN do this during football season? 

(edited)

Go Amber! I'm so happy she's finally a national champion. 

I gasped audibly when she doubled the lutz. Prior to that moment I honestly thought she was finally going to have that magical skate. Then when she popped I was so bummed. I thought Isabeau had it in the bag. 

I feel so bad for Isabeau. I was surprised by the first fall, but by the third I was absolutely stunned. I don't think I've been that surprised with the ladies long since Michelle tanked in '97.

I'm so happy for Amber and Josephine but feel terrible for Isabeau. The competition was more exciting than I thought it would be.

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Like 8

This certainly complicates Ava Ziegler’s strategy for Worlds. She needed Isabeau to win Nationals to leave that second Worlds slot in question, but now Amber Glenn has a pretty good claim on it. 

• Like 1