Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

15 hours ago, Souris said:

Ugh, Eteri.

I don't know if it was my screen but her face is so orange. She needs to chill on the bronzer or whatever that is. 

Also, ugh, Eteri. 

15 hours ago, Souris said:

I enjoyed Malinin's Raspberry Twist. It was unexpected!

I loved that! When I saw that the music choice was Malagueña I wasn't sure if it would be a good fit for him, but I was pleasantly surprised. I find his skating exciting and I definitely think he's improved in terms of artistry. Looking forward to see what music he'll be using for the long. 

Kevin is looking good! Fingers crossed he has a clean long.

Disappointing skate for Deniss. His energy level seemed down.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Libby96 said:

So was the Skate America Pairs Free Skate not shown anywhere?   Not even on Peacock?

There were people in another skating forum watching on Peacock, but I couldn't find it listed anywhere. I saw all of yesterday's replays, today's Rhythm Dance replay, and all the upcoming events, but no Pairs Free Skate for some reason. Maybe I needed to search instead of just going to the listing of figure skating events (maybe it didn't get tagged correctly or something).

Edited by redpencil

VPN is your friend for skating access. It's legal. It's pretty easy to set up, and some have TV options as well (I use an app on my Firestick). There are lots out there. Some are free and some are paid but can be reasonable. I use Windscribe, but here's a thread with other suggestions:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FigureSkating/comments/17cdoag/dumb_question_what_vpns_are_yall_going_to_watch/

Whichever you choose, set the VPN for a non-blocked country, pull up the ISU channel on YouTube, and all the programs are available. (If you don't see all the programs, then try a different VPN location.) Also, you can turn off the VPN if needed, whether on a computer or TV - and I assume phone - if it causes any access problems for non-skating needs, or to save bandwidth.

• Useful 2

Love both of Kevin’s programs for this season—he’s probably one of the few who could get away with a warhorse like Bolero, IMO. And so pleased he held it together for both the short and the long. I can’t remember the last time he was that solid so early in a season.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Quite a bit of criticism over at Golden Skate forum re: C/B: too slow, Madison barely skating, lots of posing, etc. I thought they were outstanding. What I can't stand are the dreary musical numbers with the skaters acting out all sorts of emotions (a tribute to their father?)  Another thought: why do these athletes skating with each other have to "connect"? Ben said Lopareva/Brissaud need to do better connecting with each other. Unless they're in a relationship, it's all acting anyway. C/B's final lift was a wonderful testament to their strength with Evan only holding her calf and foot while balanced on thin blades. 

• Like 5
22 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Quite a bit of criticism over at Golden Skate forum re: C/B: too slow, Madison barely skating, lots of posing, etc. I thought they were outstanding. What I can't stand are the dreary musical numbers with the skaters acting out all sorts of emotions (a tribute to their father?)  Another thought: why do these athletes skating with each other have to "connect"? Ben said Lopareva/Brissaud need to do better connecting with each other. Unless they're in a relationship, it's all acting anyway. C/B's final lift was a wonderful testament to their strength with Evan only holding her calf and foot while balanced on thin blades. 

I agree; I thought their program was absolutely stunning. And what do I know, but it seemed quite difficult to me. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Jillibean said:

I agree; I thought their program was absolutely stunning. And what do I know, but it seemed quite difficult to me. 

I don't think a lot of the audience appreciated how difficult it is to do these amazing lifts, twizzles, etc., while out there on ice.  Maybe it was bad audio on my end but I wasn't hearing a lot of applause for these skaters (like the hoots & hollers & screams that a number of the single skaters receive).  

3 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Gorgeous 3A from Amber! But now she's unraveling.

It was so good, such a shame she couldn't deliver with the rest of the program. 

I just saw NBCsports running an article saying that Amber was the 6th US woman to land the triple axel, but I'm pretty sure she's the fifth. Tonya, Kimmie, Mirai and Alysa are the others. 

I'm obsessed with Loena's long program. Loved it. She looked like she was having a blast. She really is the full package. 

• Like 1

Those medals are hideously tacky.

Really sad for Amber, I really wanted that for her, given this is her home turf. The first half was so good.

Conversely, great to see Loena turn the corner on the previous season, which she's said was very tough on her mentally. And Niina wins Estonia's first-ever Grand Prix medal a few years after almost dying of aplastic anemia.

In the dance event, Marjorie and Zach barely had an off-season because he had a shoulder injury, and they did not looked prepared at Nepela a few weeks ago, so I didn't have much in the way of expectations for them here, and they definitely impressed me with how much work they'd done in a short amount of time. The Michael Jackson RD feels a lot more filled out (though some of the levels still need work).

Also happy to see Lia and Trennt get their first podium. It's remarkable to me how much stronger this partnership is than his preview one; I haven't been this excited for a Canadian pair team in a long time.

1 hour ago, Avaleigh said:

I just saw NBCsports running an article saying that Amber was the 6th US woman to land the triple axel, but I'm pretty sure she's the fifth. Tonya, Kimmie, Mirai and Alysa are the others. 

They had a list up on the broadcast at one point, and they were counting Phoebe Stubblefield from last year. So that makes Amber the 6th. But I believe Tara said she'd be the 4th to do so in an international competition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, sheshark said:

Chock and Bates did not get full credit for any of their elements.  Is that typical in ice dancing? I saw many men and women single skaters getting much larger numbers.

On the ice dancing, instead of showing the base value they were showing the "max value". I have no idea why they do that.

I really dislike the "show the base and final value" they are doing for the other disciplines on this event; I like the "show the base and grade of execution" much better. Why are they making us do math?

• Like 2
On 10/10/2023 at 2:33 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I wish another network would cover skating. But, as you say, better than nothing.

Do they offer on-demand replays?  I keep missing the live broadcasts. 

34 minutes ago, jrzy said:

Do they offer on-demand replays?  I keep missing the live broadcasts. 

I have Peacock and I was able to watch most of the events on demand. Some I also dvr'd to hear the commentary. 

I think they leave pretty quickly though. Maybe within the week? Also, when you watch on Peacock there is no commentary. Sometimes I love this and other times I wouldn't mind hearing what the trio think about a performance, particularly when the performance is amazing. Also like to hear their thoughts on up and coming skaters.

• Like 2

People over at Golden Skate forum were discussing VPN as a way to bypass Peacock and get total coverage. They said to use Sweden or Norway to connect. This all means nada to me! I'm no tech genius. Several years ago I used to watch broadcast from Eastern Europe. Never forgot hearing them pronounce Alyssa Czisny's name as chizzznee.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Is it just my tv or is the commentary very low in the sound mix?  I had to strain to hear anything they said.  I don't need to hear them chatter per say, but for ice skating, I wanted to know what they said about levels- and they have a new commentator for dance.

Over the weekend I was thinking how often I've complained about Tara & Johnny babbling on & on. But the audio was bad. The music screeched on & on while we could barely hear what the commentators were saying on Friday night. They must've made some adjustments as it got a *little* better by Saturday night. The commentator for dance was Ben Agosto, a multi-national US champ with Tanith Belbin (& they were World's silver medalists). He's pretty good.

• Like 3

Speaking of warhorses, I heard Hallelujah at least twice on Saturday. Ugh. 

You can't go wrong with Queen. Also a good number to get the audience involved. C/B were just fine with me, but what do I know. Golden Skate forums are clearly the "experts." (insert eyeroll here)

Saw a lot of commentary on Insta regarding Leona's dress (or lack there of). She looked beautiful, but I had to admit that the showgirl chic was a little heavy handed. I was holding my breath hoping there was no Papadakis malfunction about to happen.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

C/B were just fine with me, but what do I know. Golden Skate forums are clearly the "experts." (insert eyeroll here)

Saw a lot of commentary on Insta regarding Leona's dress (or lack there of). She looked beautiful, but I had to admit that the showgirl chic was a little heavy handed. I was holding my breath hoping there was no Papadakis malfunction about to happen.

They're quite testy over there (Golden Skate) at times. I only post when I'm totally sure of myself 😁

Wow! Glad I never thought about a possible costume malfunction while she was skating. But that costume was a potential for such a thing 👀.  Skating competitions sure have changed, recently and I attribute a lot of this to the addition of vocals. Vocals do not sound good in an arena (thanks to the awful  accoustics). Or, could this be the new type of vocals being used? Whatever it is, I'm hitting the mute button during most of the single skaters' programs. And those that I mute are all vocals. I wonder what Uncle Dick is thinking these days while watching these competitions.

• Like 3

I think the section of Chock and Bates' Queen routine that got my interest was the very beginning, when the opening bass line of Another One Bites the Dust was playing (Bless you, John Deacon). Madison was doing some cute footwork and you were drawn in. And yes, it was the section that was instrumental. No vocals. Sorry, Freddy. You're still the greatest!!

• Like 2

Re: criticism of Chock/Bates slower skating for the FD: So, they should skate fast even if it doesn't fit the music? Too much out there where music and performance are out of sync. I loved their artistry and I loved the program. 

Overjoyed and heartbroken for Amber Glenn. That 3A was stunning. 

Saw on another board (Reddit) that Hawayek and Baker have withdrawn from Grand Prix France. Obviously health comes first (sounds like she's having long-term concussion issues), but this is also heartbreaking. Nothing yet about their second assignment at NHK. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, justmehere said:

Saw on another board (Reddit) that Hawayek and Baker have withdrawn from Grand Prix France. Obviously health comes first (sounds like she's having long-term concussion issues), but this is also heartbreaking. Nothing yet about their second assignment at NHK. 

Damn! I miss me some JLB!!! 

• Like 3
On 10/23/2023 at 8:45 PM, justmehere said:

They've now withdrawn from NHK, too. 

ETA: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cy1Ig4RObs8/

Jean-Luc is now recovering from a concussion. 

Edited by ramurphy2005
  • Sad 6

Hawayek and Baker seem to have had an unusual number of concussions. This is not meant as a criticism; some people are more prone to them. But dance seems like the discipline where concussions would be less likely since there are no jumps or throws. I worry about them.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Hawayek and Baker seem to have had an unusual number of concussions. This is not meant as a criticism; some people are more prone to them. But dance seems like the discipline where concussions would be less likely since there are no jumps or throws. I worry about them.

Pairs is where you see this type of injury. Wasn't there a male pairs skater who had some type of brain injury, tried to return to competition but no one wanted to skate with him (fearing he wasn't physically able to handle the lifts)? This was about 10-15 years ago. Re: H/B, my suspicion has been that they are too close in size. 

14 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Pairs is where you see this type of injury. Wasn't there a male pairs skater who had some type of brain injury, tried to return to competition but no one wanted to skate with him (fearing he wasn't physically able to handle the lifts)? This was about 10-15 years ago. Re: H/B, my suspicion has been that they are too close in size. 

There are several couples who are close in size who haven't had problems. Currently, Guignard/Fabbri come to mind. 

Oooh, Starr's dress for the short is fierce. Love the program, wish she had more difficulty though.

Rino Matsuike was great even though she was skating to Moulin Rouge. Her spins are gorgeous. She was easily the best in the first group.

Lindsay had some issues with underrotations, but I actually think her skating has improved. She looks less stiff and humorless than I rememberher being. I didn't love the program but I she’s definitely made some progress.

Too bad about Maddie. Yikes. I like the program though. Hopefully she's better at her next GP event. 

Kaori's really in a different league than the others. (I felt the same way with Loena at Skate America.) Her speed is awesome and the distance she gets with her jumps. She's really a gift to the sport right now. 

Sidenote: It's kind of annyoing that it's apparently a requirement for skaters to have a moment where they're sliding around on their knees even when it doesn't jive with the choreography. It makes the programs feel so forced and robotic. Kaori is one of the few in this group who makes it work.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

Sidenote: It's kind of annyoing that it's apparently a requirement for skaters to have a moment where they're sliding around on their knees even when it doesn't jive with the choreography. It makes the programs feel so forced and robotic. Kaori is one of the few in this group who makes it work.

It baffles me, considering I thought they banned knee things after Candeloro...I bet he's laughing now.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
2 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

It's a requirement now??  Really?

I figured it must be because literally everyone did it in the short program. It's such a break in the foortwork sequence unless the skater has top notch skating skills and even then it doesn't necessarily work with the music. 

Eta: The way that I feel about this is the way I feel about wolf turns in gymnastics. They're rarely done well so why do we have to see so many of them? 

Signed, someone who would rather see a gorgeous spiral sequence than people sliding around on their knees on the ice for no conceivable reason. 

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2

Just watched a video of Piper & Paul's FD. It's the best I've ever seen of their programs. But I think pretty soon a ruling will be made: stay away from the judges' panel. Didn't two or three singles skaters almost touch a judge during their programs at Skate America?

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Just watched a video of Piper & Paul's FD. It's the best I've ever seen of their programs. But I think pretty soon a ruling will be made: stay away from the judges' panel. Didn't two or three singles skaters almost touch a judge during their programs at Skate America?

Kevin Aymoz and Loena did and there was a third I’m blanking on? 

• Like 2