Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

It’s not surprising; She was absolutely tunnel vision-ed take-no-prisoners determined to get a Gold Olympic Medal.  The way Bruno was so tense after the short where he made ann error.  The tension on his face while watching the others compete after their long program. And then he wept- it looked out of relief, not joy.

I loved their skating and they were a talented pair, but I always got the feeling that she wasn’t a very nice person at all.  Now we have some confirmation of that.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

Has Robin Szolkowy said anything? May be why he walked away from the partnership, being happy with the world titles and two Olympic Bronze medals. He couldn't put up with four more years of abuse. 

Also may be why Knerim/Knerim walked away from Savchenko's coaching after five months. We now know that Chris Knerim had mental health issues in regards to his skating. Her coaching style may have not been the best thing for him. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

In KH's Instagram post, she said hat she not only skated with post concussion symptoms, but a torn ACL? WHAAAAT? Wow. 

I hope this isn't the end for them, or at least Kaitlyn. :(

And good luck to Christina and Anthony! I hope they can capitalize on the opportunity and get a good placement. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

In KH's Instagram post, she said hat she not only skated with post concussion symptoms, but a torn ACL? WHAAAAT? Wow. 

I hope this isn't the end for them, or at least Kaitlyn. :(

And good luck to Christina and Anthony! I hope they can capitalize on the opportunity and get a good placement. 

Where's her post? I found Jean Luc's. I'm so sorry for them - I hope they come back too!

• Like 3

Here’s Kaitlyn’s IG (her post about it is just below her pinned posts).

I had no idea she’d been dealing with the ACL injury for so long. Wishing her and Jean-Luc the best. Selfishly, I hope they decide to keep competing. But I’d understand if one or both of them decided another 1 or 3 years of that kind of intense training and competing isn’t what they want to do anymore.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, specialj67 said:

Here’s Kaitlyn’s IG (her post about it is just below her pinned posts).

I had no idea she’d been dealing with the ACL injury for so long. Wishing her and Jean-Luc the best. Selfishly, I hope they decide to keep competing. But I’d understand if one or both of them decided another 1 or 3 years of that kind of intense training and competing isn’t what they want to do anymore.

Thanks! I am so sorry they've been dealing with this. I'm in the same boat as you re: continuing but I hope they do what's best for them.

• Like 1

Is anyone else having a problem with this thread that when you click on it, you are taken to the first post and not the "first unread" ? 

Then I have to go to the last page and look for the "unread replies" line. I don't have this problem with any other topics I follow.

This has been happening since the forum upgrade a couple months ago. I reported it but I haven't seen any change.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

Is anyone else having a problem with this thread that when you click on it, you are taken to the first post and not the "first unread" ? 

Then I have to go to the last page and look for the "unread replies" line. I don't have this problem with any other topics I follow.

This has been happening since the forum upgrade a couple months ago. I reported it but I haven't seen any change.

Yes, same thing. It's been reported in the Bugs thread for the updates. The problem seems to be accessing through Manage Followed Content. That's my experience, at least, with topics that can only be opened from the Manage page, like this one. A few topics I follow also appear on my Home page, and if I access from Home, they open correctly. But if I open the same topic from Manage Followed Content, it goes to the top of the first page of the thread. Hoping they'll fix it soon.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Looks like Gilles and Poirier are listed in the World's entries. This will be their first competition since the GPF, correct?

God, please have my mute button at the ready when Evita starts. Their original dance I like. Evita, not so much. It's the song. And the schmaltz that the song breeds.

Interesting article about the current World Junior Pairs champions being caught in the middle of the ISU new age limits. She'll be too young to compete as a senior, and he will be too old to compete as a junior. Looks like several teams may face this problem when one partner is older (even slightly) than the other.

The U.S. championships are not an ISU event. Therefore, can they compete at Nationals as seniors, but not go to World's or Four Continents if they place high enough at Nats? Perhaps they'll come up with a solution for already established pairs, because this rule will effect Baram and Tioumentsev (current World Junior Champs) for THREE seasons. They're 14 and 21 years old. I didn't realize she was that young. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Useful 1
35 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Interesting article about the current World Junior Pairs champions being caught in the middle of the ISU new age limits. She'll be too young to compete as a senior, and he will be too old to compete as a junior. Looks like several teams may face this problem when one partner is older (even slightly) than the other.

If they're going to raise the age requirement for seniors, I think it makes sense to raise the age limit for juniors too, because they'd be shifting an existing transition window.

What they're really going to have to evaluate is changing the limitation on skills that can be performed at the junior level, because as the article points out, female skaters mature earlier, and will be impacted most by the rule change. They're basically shaving two years off female skater's senior career, which I think is a good thing for protecting athletes, like the Sambo-70 girls, but a detriment to advancing the women's side of the sport the way the quad revolution has for the men's. Maybe we'll really see the women's side lean into artistry, since they'll have the extra seasons having to perfect they're component scores, since they'll hit the ceiling on technical content pretty quickly. 

13 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I can't find a TV schedule that shows who's broadcasting: NBC, USA, E, etc. 

USA is airing live coverage:

Woman's Short March 22 @ 6AM

Men's Short March 23 @ 6AM 

Pairs Free Skate March 23 @ 8AM

Women's Free Skate March 24 @ 6:30AM

Men's Free March 25 @ 6:30AM

NBC coverage:

No description, but it'll be pre-recorded coverage March 25 @ 8PM

World Champion Recap April 9 @ 3PM

I'm not seeing anything regarding Ice Dancing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, absnow54 said:

USA is airing live coverage:

Woman's Short March 22 @ 6AM

Men's Short March 23 @ 6AM 

Pairs Free Skate March 23 @ 8AM

Women's Free Skate March 24 @ 6:30AM

Men's Free March 25 @ 6:30AM

NBC coverage:

No description, but it'll be pre-recorded coverage March 25 @ 8PM

World Champion Recap April 9 @ 3PM

I'm not seeing anything regarding Ice Dancing.

Peacock is covering pairs and dance. 10 pm ET start times Tu-Fr.

22 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I don't suppose it will be able to watch for 24 hours or something (since many of us have work)?

It's Peacock. Doubtful.

I'm on the west coast, so it's not an issue for me. I have to record the sessions that start at 3am my time. 😳

I have seen replays for at least 24 hours on Peacock. Hopefully they'll do so for Worlds. There is also the VPN route for ISU YouTube channel. Opera browser didn't work for me last time I tried (and so I've had Peacock for a few months, ~$5/month, easy to cancel after Worlds). I did see a recommendation for Windscribe VPN - available free - which has more flexibility in choosing locations than Opera and apparently a TV app, though I haven't tried that. Backup option, at least.

Edit: Came across this bit of good news - still time to start a  subscription:

qmjpc75t28pa1.jpg 

Edited by justmehere
Added info
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

I didn't get a chance to watch any of the skaters, but based on the scores, Isabeau is in a decent position for making the podium. 2nd through 4th place are separated by about half a point, and their seasons best for the Free Skate are all similar in value.

• Like 2

I just watched a heavily edited version of the Pairs LP (the three teams that are on the podium + an Australian team). It was from an Australian broadcaster that I found on Google.

Edited by annzeepark914

Never in my lifetime did I expect to see two American pairs finish in the Top Ten at Worlds, much less two in the Top Five! I know we are missing the Russians and the Chinese were unusually weak, but still. Congratulations to Knierim/Frazier and Chan/Howe.

• Like 9

Is the technical level lower with top Russian or Chinese pairs competing this year? Sure. But damn if I didn’t cry for each of those medal winning teams today! Conti and Macii and my fave “new to me” team this season. It’s been super fun to watch them improve and gain confidence with each competition. And I’m also impressed with Pereira and Michaud for being such a new team and doing as well as they did. Really looking forward to what they can do over the next few years, assuming they keep at it.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Never in my lifetime did I expect to see two American pairs finish in the Top Ten at Worlds, much less two in the Top Five! I know we are missing the Russians and the Chinese were unusually weak, but still. Congratulations to Knierim/Frazier and Chan/Howe.

Well, at least we know these skaters are here honestly. It had to be tough to compete against a certain country's team when you never knew who got to the competition thanks to drugs. I'll be happy never seeing Russian teams at any competitions again. They got away too often...until now.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
33 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well, at least we know these skaters are here honestly. It had to be tough to compete against a certain country's team when you never knew who got to the competition thanks to drugs. I'll be happy never seeing Russian teams at any competitions again. They got away too often...until now.

It was bad enough seeing Ramenhead with her two guys. Thankfully, they both sucked. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
23 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Never in my lifetime did I expect to see two American pairs finish in the Top Ten at Worlds, much less two in the Top Five!

Last season Cain and Leduc were close to getting two US teams on the podium, but then Cain had that awful concussion. 

In Ladies news, Isabeau just missed the podium, and both Bradie and Amber fell out of the Top 10, so I think the US will only get 2 slots next year, unless they earn a third spot through outside channels (I think Ashley Wagner did this in the past.)

• Sad 4
6 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

In Ladies news, Isabeau just missed the podium, and both Bradie and Amber fell out of the Top 10, so I think the US will only get 2 slots next year, unless they earn a third spot through outside channels (I think Ashley Wagner did this in the past.)

The US will only have 2 slots in next year's Worlds. The earning of a spot outside of placement at Worlds is only for the Olympics, which limits the number of skaters who participate.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

With the strength and depth in the Korean women’s field, it’s been a long time coming for one of them to get on the World podium again, and ten years after Yuna’s final gold they managed it.

Lee Hae-in was a standout as a junior who struggle a bit at the senior level, so I was very pleased at this for her.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Way to go Ilia! Even with his quad, it’ll be tough to top Shoma, but he’s in decent position for it. His short has really improved this season. 

I recognize that Shoma's skating quality is superior but the way he lands his jumps doesn't sit right with me. It's like he goes way down deep in the knee every time. And maybe that's good technique but it almost feels like he's compensating or cheating or something. I know that sounds weird but I find it sort of distracting and I don't think it looks as impressive to do it that way.

35 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I just read (somewhere on line) this morning that the IOC is going to allow Russian & Belarusian athletes to compete in Paris next year and in the 2026 winter Olympics. 

The same IOC still holding the team medals from 2022 hostage? I wonder how much that check from the Russian Fed was for, to stall/delay the medals and let their cheating go unpunished?

• Like 3
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 4
49 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I just read (somewhere on line) this morning that the IOC is going to allow Russian & Belarusian athletes to compete in Paris next year and in the 2026 winter Olympics. 

I hope they get booed. Or at the very least the audience sits stonily on their hands--y'know, like the Russian audiences did in Sochi.

• Like 3
  • Applause 5
24 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

The same IOC still holding the team medals from 2022 hostage? I wonder how much that check from the Russian Fed was for, to stall/delay the medals and let their cheating go unpunished?

Yeah, I wonder if "Whatever Team Russia Called themselves in 2022" will get disciplined for the doping and have to come up with a new "Not-Team Russia" name. Hopefully WADA will intervene and handle all drug testing for those athletes, instead of letting it filter through RUSADA again. 

• Like 5