Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

On 4/21/2023 at 6:42 PM, carrier76 said:

I’m seeing on Twitter that next season’s rhythm dance theme is 80s music? It sounds like a mess but in the very best possible way. I can’t wait to see what Fear and Gibson’s program is.

I wish Papadakis and Cizeron were competing and could use their Fame program again.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 4/25/2023 at 9:26 AM, peachmangosteen said:

That relationship still gives me the willies.

Is it the age difference or more than that? I volunteered at the 2009 US Figure Skating Championship in Cleveland. I was assigned to the players' lounge and told not to interact with the skaters. Alissa Czisny  initiated conversation with me and could not have been nicer. I have had a soft spot for her ever since.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

For me, it's more of a "She could do so much better!" He's a nice person but Alissa had so much to offer: multilingual, well educated, gorgeous, wonderful personality, etc. 

I think he's pretty much an institution in Canada. I bet Canadians think he married down.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
14 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I think he's pretty much an institution in Canada. I bet Canadians think he married down.

Canadians also like Scott Moir, Patrick Chan, and Eric Radford, which I don’t get at all. Those guys all seem like jerks who are doing their best to ruin the stereotype that Canadians are nice.

The Alyssa/ Kurt age difference wouldn’t bother me so much if they had met as adults. It sounds like they didn’t date until she was a lot older, but he still knew her and watched her skate when she was a teenager.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Jeddah said:

Canadians also like Scott Moir, Patrick Chan, and Eric Radford, which I don’t get at all. Those guys all seem like jerks who are doing their best to ruin the stereotype that Canadians are nice.

The Alyssa/ Kurt age difference wouldn’t bother me so much if they had met as adults. It sounds like they didn’t date until she was a lot older, but he still knew her and watched her skate when she was a teenager.

Heh...I remember when I met my first unpleasant Canadian (such a shock!) She was the tour guide for a scintillating trip around parts of Nova Scotia (in the greater Yarmouth area). On our way back to the Cat ferry, she made a remark about the local US embassy--a/k/a McDonald's (she also was unhappy re: all the New Yorkers buying Victorians & renovating them). I doubt she got any tips from our group. In my experience she's the atypical Canadian.

On 4/28/2023 at 5:49 PM, anniebird said:

Is it the age difference or more than that? I volunteered at the 2009 US Figure Skating Championship in Cleveland. I was assigned to the players' lounge and told not to interact with the skaters. Alissa Czisny  initiated conversation with me and could not have been nicer. I have had a soft spot for her ever since.

I was and am such a fan of Alissa's skating. I've only seen her skate live on one occasion and it was Skate America. (I believe she won that year.) To me, she's the only skater who was comparable with Sasha Cohen and Michelle Kwan in terms of artistry. There are a lot of skaters that I think are amazing past and present, but to me there were only a handful that I would consider the real deal, full package, everything you could ask for in a skater and Alissa was one of them. A lot of times it seems like the most naturally gifted aren't necessarily the best competitors. 

I met Kurt once and I thought he was the nicest guy. They seem like they're happy so I'm happy for them.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

I met Kurt once and I thought he was the nicest guy. They seem like they're happy so I'm happy for them.

I attended the '94 games in Lillehammer. At the ladies' short program, after screwing the pooch in his short program and ending any hope of ever winning an Olympic medal;  there was Kurt, sitting with the Canadians in the team section right next to us.  He could not have been more gracious or kind; posing for photos, signing autographs, even telling his team mates to get with it and sign for people.  He set up a 'production line' for people to get their programs signed by every athlete sitting there. Just delightful.

Then, after Canadian Josee Chouinard had a disastrous short program, I went to the rest rooms and, there, in the tunnel leading to the athletes' area, was Kurt, holding Josee and comforting her while she cried her heart out.  

I got nothin' bad to say about Kurt Browning, class act.

• Like 9
  • Love 3

Kurt *is* a class act and a great athlete.

Alissa, Michelle and Sasha are my favorites. I wish Alissa & Sasha had nerves of steel back then as they could've been world champs. Figure skating is a sport but it was set up to be a blend of athleticism & artistry...so it's not like other sports (& aren't those "other sports" athletes lucky that they don't have to look good and match their prowess with appealing music & choreography?) 

• Love 2
(edited)

Apparently the next Stars on Ice tour is going to be the final for Kurt, I always wanted to go to one in person but never got there.  I don't know if anyone else will take it on, must be a massive amount of work for all the organizers. 

Edited by wintrygal
Just because..
22 minutes ago, wintrygal said:

He was also involved with Battle of the Blades, involving NHL players and Figure Skaters, think that one might have only been shown in Canada on CBC.  I imagine that's done also. 

As an American, all I know about Battles of the Blades is that Jamie Sale and her partner on the show left their spouses to be together.

This thread is reminding me how many Canadian skaters I despise! I really don’t hate all Canadians, I swear!

• LOL 3
3 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

Jamie Sale and her partner on the show left their spouses to be together.

Yeah, but he left her when she went doolally. 

23 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I just read that Daisuke Takahashi has announced his retirement. Let's hope he'll coach and create stunning choreographies. He knows how to use the music in his programs.

What I've seen from the translations indicate that maybe they're in next season, then done? Pressie tomorrow should hopefully clarify crappy translations. 

(edited)
7 hours ago, wintrygal said:

Apparently the next Stars on Ice tour is going to be the final for Kurt, I always wanted to go to one in person but never got there.  I don't know if anyone else will take it on, must be a massive amount of work for all the organizers. 

I always wanted to go to one in person too. The tour never came to a city anywhere near enough to go. I get that they probably quit showing it on TV due to revenue, it was the only way for a lot of people to see it though.

6 hours ago, Jeddah said:

This thread is reminding me how many Canadian skaters I despise! I really don’t hate all Canadians, I swear!

How do you feel about Elvis?

Edited by Jaded

Didn't Elvis initiate the Canadian men's "uniform"? I appreciated that because I really prefer to see skaters in their practice outfits. It's easier to see what they're doing/accomplishing w/o the distractions of costumes.

• Applause 1
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

How do you feel about Elvis?

He pushed the sport technically with quads, which I always appreciate. But, ugh, he just reeks of toxic masculinity and homophobia. He always wanted everyone to know he is a manly man doing a manly sport! He’s not like those OTHER skaters. 

So maybe I do hate all Canadian skaters?!?! 

• Applause 1
  • LOL 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Why is a skater's sexual orientation even being talked about these days? Gay, straight, bi, who cares?

Because a lot of interviewers may not be fans of figure skating and have no real respect for what these athletes are able to accomplish on ice. All they see are the sometimes sparkly costumes on the men (who are also performing to music) and they stupidly think of it as a girly activity, not as an extremely difficult sport. To this day, I find myself saying that I watch *competitive* figure skating and I still have to defend it as a real sport. I always ask the sneerers if they've ever tried skating on ice. 

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Applause 2

Hungary has given up the rights to host the 2024 European Championships, citing its close proximity to the fighting in Ukraine and the economic hardships it is undergoing as a result of the war. (Also, IMHO, no need to get the Russians upset since they still won't be able to compete.)

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

Just learned that Sarah Hughes will be announcing shortly that she'll be running for Congress from the 4th NY district. Isn't Michelle now an ambassador to a Central American country? Haven't seen anything in the news about MK in a while.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Just learned that Sarah Hughes will be announcing shortly that she'll be running for Congress from the 4th NY district. Isn't Michelle now an ambassador to a Central American country? Haven't seen anything in the news about MK in a while.

I saw Instagram posts of her in Belize, did not know why. Now I do...she had a Mother's Day post with her mom and daughter, she looked great.

• Like 3

Saw this posted on another site: Jason Brown will compete next year similarly to this year, mixed with shows. Will miss him if he skips Grand Prix again, but the break seemed to agree with him, and it means some presence in competition for another season, so, yay. 

https://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/857520

The interview is in Japanese, but my browser (Chrome) translated it - with flaws but not hard to figure out. (Love that both he and Roheen Ward received awards. Can't wait to see what they create next season.)

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, justmehere said:

Saw this posted on another site: Jason Brown will compete next year similarly to this year, mixed with shows. Will miss him if he skips Grand Prix again, but the break seemed to agree with him, and it means some presence in competition for another season, so, yay. 

https://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/857520

The interview is in Japanese, but my browser (Chrome) translated it - with flaws but not hard to figure out. (Love that both he and Roheen Ward received awards. Can't wait to see what they create next season.)

I hope it will be something jazzy-something sophisticated (a la Sinnerman). Didn't Rohene Ward choreograph that LP? I'm so weary of ballads, of skaters using music that "means" something to them. So glad that Jason will compete. He has so much to offer figure skating (most importantly his impressive skating skills, something that's been getting lost in the quad-a-thons & hopefully will be a good influence on the younger skaters). 

• Like 3
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 5/16/2023 at 1:24 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Just learned that Sarah Hughes will be announcing shortly that she'll be running for Congress from the 4th NY district.

That's so cool. Two years ago I actually would have been able to vote for her because that was my district when I lived in NY. I wish her luck.

So many skaters end up having great careers after they move on from their skating careers. Sometimes it can be a difficult transition for some to find a new passion after leaving the ice, but there are so many success stories it's really inspiring. I hope that Gracie will get to that place where she finds something else she's passionate about in addition to skating and coaching. 

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Avaleigh said:

So many skaters end up having great careers after they move on from their skating careers. Sometimes it can be a difficult transition for some to find a new passion after leaving the ice, but there are so many success stories it's really inspiring. I hope that Gracie will get to that place where she find something else she's passionate about in addition to skating and coaching. 

Yup. All that training, learning how to handle competitions, balancing one's time between practice, school, etc., learning how to deal with losing/winning, really prepares a lot of them for adulthood & their future. 

• Like 1

Soooo...two TBD's in pairs. Does that mean Knierem/Frazier haven't decided to retire or USFS can't decide which team to send to SA? I'm thrilled to see that Chock & Bates are competing another season. Moving to Montreal was the wisest thing they ever did. 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Soooo...two TBD's in pairs. Does that mean Knierem/Frazier haven't decided to retire or USFS can't decide which team to send to SA? I'm thrilled to see that Chock & Bates are competing another season. Moving to Montreal was the wisest thing they ever did. 

Alexa and Chris started a skating school but no official retirement announcement.

• Useful 2

Also nice to see Hawayak/Baker back for another year even though they won’t get the international scores they deserve. I hope they at least get one World medal before they retire.

Any word on how Todd Sand is doing? His health will certainly have an impact on USPairs skating.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Knierem/Frazier have been removed from the international selection pool. I just saw this at the Golden Skate forum. I guess they're really retiring 😟.

Maybe they're going the Jason Brown route and skipping the Grand Prix? 

21 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Knierem/Frazier have been removed from the international selection pool. I just saw this at the Golden Skate forum. I guess they're really retiring 😟.

I hope not. They're such a beautiful pair together. I'm so proud of how they kept their composure at Worlds last year after the accident.

• Like 5
12 hours ago, honeywest said:

Has anyone else seen Breaking the Ice, a new documentary series (WE TV) about Rory Flack and the all–African American girls’ synchro team she coaches?

Yes, I've seen ep 1. I don't know how ep 2 will go but 1 was really Dance Moms on Ice but with less drama. All the parents together, the kid who doesn't want to be there. I started laughing when she said "show me your axels" and then we get a sequence of jumps, most of which are not axels.

• Useful 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Is that the one with Rory Flack coaching the synchro team? 

Yes. No one comes off looking good, at least to me. I don't know why they agreed to it (maybe they got some tiny appearance fee). The team name is unfortunate, too. Really, they couldn't come up with an acronym that WASN'T DMV???

Edited by ML89
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2