Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Speaking of crazy assed fan bases. Tessa Virtue is engaged to one of the Toronto Maple Leafs (old news, but I just read about it). Does he know about the secret basement children? Is he planning to legally adopt them? How many do V/M have now? Gotta be up to at least five now, right?

Asking for a friend. 

What I understand from a reliable source is that they now have twelve children because Scott wanted to acknowledge his Canadian heritage and have enough children with Tessa to have family hockey games: six on six with him as the beaming dad/coach.

A true love story for the ages.💞

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

Two Belgian women in the Grand Prix Final, what a time to be alive. And both actually from and training in Belgium, at that.

Canada gets three of the six dance teams, another national best.

Guignard & Fabbri get bushwhacked in Japan by the IAM mafia.

• Useful 1

Shocker:  Ava Marie Ziegler edges Lindsay Thorngren by less than 2 points to win the gold at NHK.  Didn't expect to be writing that sentence this year!   Nationals should be very interesting this January. Only 2 spots are available at Worlds for the US ladies and I would think Isabeau would be the favorite but Amber, Lindsay, or Ava Marie might be right there in case of any mistakes.  I just hope they all skate their best!

I would kind of like to see someone step up to really challenge Kaori.  She has a lot of power and flow, but I don't find her a compelling performer.  She's also not pushing the edge in trying harder jumps. Amber's triple axel is great when she hits it, and some the younger Japanese ladies are trying quads and triple axels.  I feel pretty sure that the Russians will be allowed to compete at the next Winter Olympics and I hope someone will be able to have a chance to be competitive with them content wise.

• Useful 1

its my understanding that Mai is coming back from an injury, which explains her middling NHK result. 

Very pleased for Ava Marie! Her jumps have so much spring, and she skates with a lot of power. Here’s hoping she can replicate/improve her score from this event. Given how well she did here, I’m wondering why USFS didn’t select her for another GP. She seems more than ready for it.

• Like 4
On 11/27/2023 at 5:20 AM, specialj67 said:

Given how well she did here, I’m wondering why USFS didn’t select her for another GP. She seems more than ready for it.

She came in 9th at US Nationals last year, and doesn't have much international experience, so it isn't shocking. Hopefully she stays consistent enough through the rest of the season to send her to Four Continents if she doesn't qualify for one of the World's slots. 

• Like 3

This morning's GPF stream on Peacock..do I need to spoiler this because it has already happened and the results are on social media? I only saw the second half of the ladies and the end of the dance (because I had to drive to work and caught the end of the dance on my computer). I'm not getting up at 3:45 for the rest. 

Oh, Isabeau. Well, the pressure is off. She can skate a great long program with nothing to lose. 

Leona is a gorgeous skater but the antics at the judges table with the seductive looks and winking at them are uncomfortable to watch. Is it just me? She doesn't need that. She's gorgeous and that costume conveys all the sexiness she needs. 

Oy. Here we go again. I cannot unsee Piper's "wide open O"  mouth in the original dance. I hate using the comparison to a blow up doll, because she's seems like a nice person, but....that's what I see, facial expression only, of course. She doesn't do it as much when the music isn't peppy, so the look is purposely done to convey....rock and roll? Last year and this year, same deal in the original dance. And now I'm fixated on it.  I know you need to breathe, but that's all I see now when I watch. She doesn't do it as much when the music is dramatic, such as in the Free Dance. 

Curious. Did Babs give her patented death glare when Fear/Gibson beat them in the NHK? I didn't see it, but I read that they were screwed by the IMG mafia. She's happy today, though. For now.  If it happens again in the Free? Not so much. I think that if they lose to Chock and Bates, no death glare. That wouldn't seem unusual. But if F/G or FB/S finish above G/F, Babs will give the judges table "the look." Gilles and Poirier is a toss up with them, so no death glare if they end up beating the Italians, either, I think. 

Queen is always appropriate. For anything. Just a little more speed on those twizzles, maybe?

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

And I read at either Golden Skate or FSU that Leona got sick while in China for the regular GP competition last month and lost weight and muscle. She brought a trainer with her to the GP Final. 

I really dislike skaters approaching the judging panel during their programs and hope a rule will appear for next season against this maneuver.

• Like 9

Isabeau came 3rd in the free skate today. A much improved effort from yesterday. 

And Ilia? Biffs the 4A, but still wins by a huge margin. He'll be unstobbable once he has some artistry. 

Chock/Bates win by a pretty healthy margin over the gorgeous Italians. I didn't see the programs (dead of night here), so I can't explain the margin of victory. 

eta Watched Ilia, Shoma, and Dance. I still can't figure out why C/B are that Mich better than G/F. Maybe they are getting credit for NOT mugging at the judges' table. Even Marco stopped by to say hi to them. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 1

I'm watching the GP Final on E! this morning. Pairs LP is on right now and I loved the Italians, Conti & Machi.  I was thinking (while watching Deanna Stellato-Dudek & partner competing) that over the years I've loved/disliked/loved and now not sure how I feel about pairs.  IMO, it's gotten way too difficult to blend athleticism & artistry (thinking back to the days of Mishkutenok/Dmitriev, Gordeeva/Grinkov, Babilonia/Gardner, Sale/Pelletier, and many more). 

After reading the comments over at Golden Skate re: ice dance, it was interesting (& welcoming!) to hear Johnny's complimentary/glowing remarks about Chock & Bates' skating.  The folks at GS continue to trash C/B for being slow, too much posing. I think a lot of them are Piper & Paul fans.

Edited by annzeepark914
20 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I really dislike skaters approaching the judging panel during their programs and hope a rule will appear for next season against this maneuver.

The judges may not share the concern. My favourite photo from the event.

Down in the JGP Final, Jia collected her fourth major event silver medal. Poor girl, no wonder the Korean media calls her the Silver Fairy. Mao 2.0 finally landed the quad toe, meanwhile.

Very impressed by the junior pair Kemp & Elizarov, who got silver here. They've had awful health issues the past year, including him having a collapsed lung.

On 12/8/2023 at 9:46 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I agree, it feels very aggressive, and if I were a judge I wouldn't like it. Way too "in your face."

• Like 2

I also find it very uncomfortable as a viewer, regardless of how the judges feel about it (I'm sure there are some who like it or are at least neutral and others who don't). I was totally taken out of the performance when one of the ice dancers (I think it was Piper Gilles?) actually bumped one of the laptops with her extended hand. It's so distracting.

Edited by redpencil
  • Like 3
On 12/23/2023 at 7:24 AM, annzeepark914 said:

Lorraine McNamara & Anton Spiridonov have split...mid-season. 

Oy vey...I just learned that solo ice dance has been officially accepted as a new discipline. 

Other than no jumps, is there a big difference between solo ice dance and singles? Are certain moves required in one and proscribed in the other? 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
3 hours ago, Mirabelle said:

Other than no jumps, is there a big difference between solo ice dance and singles? Are certain moves required in one and proscribed in the other? 

They have to do certain step sequences just like the couples. Does the ISU think this is going to increase interest in competitive figure skating? 🙄

I just saw, somewhere online, quotes from Russian women skaters sneering at the GPF finalists, saying that fs would only improve when they return. Haven't missed these jerks one bit. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

Ugh, Eteri and her girls are everything that's wrong with women's figure skating. Overtrained and malnourished. So many of those girls are now admitting to eating disorders. It's sad, really. 

But no, don't bring them back. They cheated, and their country sucks. 

• Applause 11
On 12/24/2023 at 10:11 AM, Mirabelle said:

I don't skate, but it seems there's a big difference in skills and requirements between singles and ice dance, with dance requiring a much higher level. Here's a thread from another board. It discusses skating with a partner, but there's also info about the overall skills needed and the difficulty of dance:

• Like 1
On 12/24/2023 at 12:55 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I just saw, somewhere online, quotes from Russian women skaters sneering at the GPF finalists, saying that fs would only improve when they return. Haven't missed these jerks one bit. 

Doesn't that just say it all? The arrogance and the lack of appreciation for the combo of athleticism and artistry, that was very well represented at the GPF, just shows that they really do think it's all about the ultra c elements. 

The Russians dominated the sport for a long time particularly the ladies event for the past ten years or so. One thing that's very apparent to me upon reflection is the difference between the Evgenia/Liza/Alina period vs the Anna/Sasha/Kamila period.

With Evgenia I wasn't really a fan of the 'tano on every jump, but other than that I felt her artistry was strong. More important, she delievered with every program for three consecutive seasons including at the Olympics.

When you consider the world podiums for 2015-2018 and contrast that with the podiums of 2019 and 2021, the difference in quality of skating is very apparent. The skaters might have had more technical content in 2019 and 2021 but it was at the expense of artistry and clean programs. The worlds in 2021 were a splatfest for the top three skaters. The clean programs were from the skaters who placed 4th and 5th. 

The podiums in 2022 and 2023 were filled with full package skaters like Kaori and Loena who value artistry, good technique and exciting programs. This is what the sport should be about. 

On 12/24/2023 at 5:52 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

But no, don't bring them back. They cheated, and their country sucks.

I think what really grinds my gears with the Russian skaters is that they see themselves as huge victims. They think they're victims of political persecution. They think the other skating federations are jealous and want them kept out because they're so competitive. They think the doping scandal isn't a scandal at all and somehow doesn't reflect poorly on any of the Russians involved. 

I agree that Russia needs to be kept out of sporting events because of the war, but I also don't want the ISU to not address the other huge reason they shouldn't be allowed to compete. These people cheat. They have been caught cheating multiple times. At what point are they going to be held accountable? Not allowing them to use the flag or use their anthem is not punishment enough. Obviously it isn't because they keep doing the same cheating BS and know they'll just get a slap on the wrist. They need a real ban. 12 years, three Olympic cycles, and maybe they'll get it through their heads that it isn't okay to lie and cheat their way through life. 

All this being said, I know a long-term ban isn't really going to do anything. Skaters will just end up representing other countries. Russians who were born and train in Russia are already representing Kazakhstan, Poland, Georgia, etc. I read that Samodelkina is going to represent Kazakhstan so that she can guarantee having a spot at the Olympics.

I don't know that there is a real solution to any of this.

• Like 4
  • Applause 6

I'm as tired of seeing the 'tano jumps as I am of the Biellman spin. Give some decent value to the change edge spiral, damnit. They're not easy to do. I'm glad to see Ilia working on his presentation (along with his beautiful quads). He'll probably never have the artistry of Shomo & Daisuke--I think that's a natural born talent (just my opinion--I'm no expert 😁). All I *really* know is that when you fall on ice (pond or rink), it's even worse than falling on cement, so I wish my sport got more respect. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I loved and seriously now miss this team!  Who else researched and then was coached (by Indian dance professionals) how to choreograph this program and simultaneously respect the culture it comes from? I also miss Charlie's leaps/spins all on his own. Has this been disallowed or are no male partners wanting to do this? 

• Like 3
  • Love 8
On 12/28/2023 at 1:18 PM, Avaleigh said:

I think what really grinds my gears with the Russian skaters is that they see themselves as huge victims. They think they're victims of political persecution. They think the other skating federations are jealous and want them kept out because they're so competitive. They think the doping scandal isn't a scandal at all and somehow doesn't reflect poorly on any of the Russians involved. 

Speaking of, have they handed out the team medals yet? It's been 2 years!

• Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 5
(edited)
6 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

This is disgusting. How much groveling to the Russians can TPTB do? 

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, absnow54 said:

I think I read a couple of months ago that they'd finally make a ruling on the Kamila situation at the end of this month. (How is it possible that this mess hasn't been settled yet?)

Since Kamila was stripped of her gold medal at the nationals that put her onto the Olympic team, to me that should sway any hesitation someone might have about stripping the ROC of their gold medal in the team event. She should never have been on the team in the first place. 

I'm crossing my fingers that the right decision will be made, but I don't know that I'll believe it until the skaters actually get their medals. Hopefully the Americans, Japanese and Canadians finally get the medals they're owed. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
On 1/5/2024 at 5:42 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I feel terrible for Laurence and for the alleged victim. I can't even imagine finding out that your on ice and off ice partner is being accused of sexual assault.

I just read that Laurence and Nikolaj withdrew from Nationals. That was probably the best call. 

I read what the victim said and I understand why she came forward. At least parents can make an informed decision if Nikolaj goes into coaching. I don't know how this is all going to turn out, but I completely understand why the victim came forward. 

• Like 4
(edited)
On 1/2/2024 at 2:42 PM, absnow54 said:

And that Eteri is allowed to coach non-Russian skaters in ISU events while standing next to those who have not received their Olympic medals yet. And they have not received them due to HER coaching team's drugging of little girls. If I were an American, Japanese or even Canadian skater who could get the bronze if they determine that the Russians should not get the OGM, I would not be able to control my anger at the sight of her. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Like 9

I don't know when this first occurred (I've been using a VPN for the ISU replays) or if it will last, but I just opened Peacock to watch some of the Europeans competition, and each of the replays for today (pairs and men's short programs) said that they were available for 29 days! A welcome return after the 24- or 48-hour windows (or whatever it's been) of the last couple of seasons. I hope this is real and lasting. I still didn't see a Figure Skating category at the top of the page, but everything was under Latest Replays (there's a View All link available - for when they aren't "latest" I guess).

• Useful 1
(edited)

Marjorie LaJoie and Zachary Lagha have also withdrawn from Canadian Nationals. She is recovering from a concussion.

Edited by honeywest
New information

Poor Kevin. I saw his performance at French nationals and it really was the worst I've ever seen him skate. He just gave up. I was hoping he'd do better at Europeans, but unfortunately it was another disaster. It's too bad because he's the most artistic guy out there who's still competing. 

I've seen Adam skate better, but I'll be happy for him if he wins.

My favorite skate of the day was definitely Aleksandr Selevko of Estonia. That program was everything I didn't know I needed. Fingers crossed he brings it in the long program. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
(edited)

Peacock is showing Euros (with Johnny and Tara and Terry Gannon commentating). E! is also showing some.

Ekaterina Kurakova didn’t qualify for the free skate either.

Edited by honeywest
4 hours ago, honeywest said:

Ekaterina Kurakova didn’t qualify for the free skate either.

Kurakova is a favorite of mine so this was disappointing. I hope she comes back strong for worlds.

So far the only standouts for me for the women from the earlier groups were Livia Kaiser, Sarina Joos, and Olga Mikutina. Maybe an honorable mention for Julia Sauter. 

Loena was great. The combo wasn't perfect but the overall program was strong.

Nina!! What a great season for her if she ends up with a medal here. Her jumps aren't huge, but I definitely feel like she's a full package skater. Very polished in terms of her presentation. 

For the pairs, I admit, I preferred Ghilardi and Ambrosini. Then again, I'm not a big fan of Cats so that's probably why I didn't respond as much to Beccari and Guarise's program.

I definitely got the impression that Johnny isn't happy the Russians aren't able to compete. 

• Useful 1

Did anyone have any thoughts about Adam deciding to spontaneously do a backflip during (I think?) the choreo sequence? I think it would have worked for me more if his program had been flawless and it was a way to kind of put his excitement on display. Here it maybe came across a little show offy? As if it didn't matter to him that he'd lose points even with a shaky program because no one at this event is near his level. I didn't mind it, but it didn't seem like the right moment to have that kind of DGAF moment. Or maybe I'm juat overanalyzing it. 🤷🏽‍♀️

There's definitely been an uptick in aerials, cartwheels, arabians and the like. If another skating discipline were created, I wonder if it would allow for more acrobatic moves? There certainly seems to be an appetite for it in terms of the audience and viewers. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

Did anyone have any thoughts about Adam deciding to spontaneously do a backflip during (I think?) the choreo sequence? I think it would have worked for me more if his program had been flawless and it was a way to kind of put his excitement on display. Here it maybe came across a little show offy? As if it didn't matter to him that he'd lose points even with a shaky program because no one at this event is near his level. I didn't mind it, but it didn't seem like the right moment to have that kind of DGAF moment. Or maybe I'm juat overanalyzing it. 🤷🏽‍♀️

It was a cocky move - it wasn't the best back flip I've seen, either.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
(edited)

The top two groups of the dance free skate at Euros today were generally pretty great! It’s too bad Fear/Gibson had that spin stumble and the #2 Czech team had the near fall.

I really enjoyed the other 2 French teams, but for whatever reason do not connect with Lopareva/Brissaud.

Edited by specialj67
  • Like 1