Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

(edited)
On 3/17/2024 at 5:37 PM, peachmangosteen said:

Yep. Both programs for men and women and the frees for dance and pairs.

I too find it odd they never show the rhythm dance when USA is so competitive in dance.

Especially since C&B's rhythm dance is to Queen. Something 99% of Americans know and most would find appealing. 

Just caught the end of the pairs short on Peacock. All three U.S. teams qualified for the Free, but we aren't getting three spots for next year, that's for sure. Kam and O'Shea are in 10th. That's the highest placement. We're back to the Pairs struggle bus. Just in time for the Olympic year. What is the magic number we need for two spots next year? I wonder why Alexa and Brandon didn't stay until the next Olympics. Did they figure that the cheaters would be back and why bother? They won a World Championship, so they're good? I HOPE that they get their silver or gold team medal, soon. Major eyeroll.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Like 2
(edited)

I have Peacock streaming the Rhythm Dance on Friday, at 11:20 AM.  The US Figure Skating Instagram account posted the schedule a few days back. 

IMG_3447.jpeg

IMG_3448.jpeg

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Like 1

There's a long article about Amber in today's Washington Post. I've used up my 10 free gifts. Does anyone here subscribe to the Post? She talks about skating so well at her rink, but then at competitions she has a hard time focusing on getting through her programs. She thinks it's her ADHD. I'm so glad she won Nationals.

1 hour ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Don't they go by season rankings? A point system for every result? So Isabeau may still be ranked higher? I don't know, I'm just guessing.

World rankings, I believe. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

There's a long article about Amber in today's Washington Post. I've used up my 10 free gifts. Does anyone here subscribe to the Post? She talks about skating so well at her rink, but then at competitions she has a hard time focusing on getting through her programs. She thinks it's her ADHD. I'm so glad she won Nationals.

Here's the article you mentioned from the WP through MSN which makes it accessible to everyone...

Figure skating wants ice princesses. Amber Glenn said, ‘Screw it.’

• Thanks 2

No complaints about the placements in the women’s SP, but was Loena really 3+ points better than the other top skaters? I’d score her a point or 2 lower. I’m just happy Amber didn’t completely implode from the pressure. 

The pair’s competition was pretty fun to watch—not too many teams missing their SBS jumps.

• Like 4

I still REALLY dislike the skater interacting/flirting with the judges panel. You don't need that. And how has Leona not had a wardrobe malfunction in that dress? Double sided tape? Super glue? I remember al the complaining about Katarina Witt's "showgirl" dresses. One was molting all over the ice and leaving feathers ('88 Olympic short program dress?)

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

I don't understand the skating order though- if Amber is the National Champion, wouldn't it follow that she would skate after Levito?

It's based on World rankings, their placement at the previous worlds, their placement thruout the preseason.  It has nothing to do with their Nationals.  

• Thanks 1

On the plus side:

I'm glad that Isabeau had a strong skate especially after that tough nationals. She seemed really happy with the program so that was nice to see.

Haein Lee and You Young were both so good!! I'm glad to see that You Young is stronger than she was looking earlier in the season. Sometimes it ends up being the other way around. 

Loena was great. I don't mind her dress or her program. She always looks like she's having a blast, so that helps make her programs exciting to me. 

Bummers:

With Amber, this sort of thing is becoming pretty habitual. I can't remember the last time she put two clean programs together. We know the loop is one of her easiest jumps that's why she chose it as her solo jump for the short. It's clearly not about her training or talent or anything like that. 

Nina Pinzarrone--what a shame. She's been having such a terrific season, it's a bummer to see her finish this way. Fingers crossed she kills it in the long. 

Kaori--she almost seemed like she had too much power and energy. It wasn't a bad skate at all though. Glad she's still in striking distance.

Gubanova--I almost thought she wouldn't qualify for the free skate. That missed combo was so odd. There was no reason she couldn't have squeaked out a double toe. It looked like she gave up. Almost like she forgot this wasn't a practice run.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, specialj67 said:

The pair’s competition was pretty fun to watch—not too many teams missing their SBS jumps.

I was surprised by how engaged I was. Pairs might not quite be in top tier shape, but the bright spots were very bright indeed. 

I am not familiar with Minerva and Nikita of Germany, but I thought they were wonderful! I'm very curious to see where they'll be by the time the Olympics roll around. 

Deanna and Max are exciting to watch. Deanna in particular has so much fire. She wants it so much, it's so exciting to watch her at this point in her journey. It was a lot of fun to watch them have such a solid skate. 

Miura and Kihara were very good. There program wasn't as exciting as Deanna and Max's, but I enjoyed it. 

Is it too much to hope that two American teams can crack the top ten?

• Like 1

Just watched Jason skating to "Adios".  In this era of skaters' arms flying up, down, and frantically all around, all of his body movements are measured & precise. They match the music. I looked up this music on YouTube. Several of the comments mentioned a similarity to Nina Simone's "Sinnerman" (which is why I looked it up). IMO, this type of music is a perfect match for Jason's style. I could watch it over & over.

• Like 8
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

Gubanova--I almost thought she wouldn't qualify for the free skate. That missed combo was so odd.

Yes, very weird, like she forgot where she was and what she was doing.  Even if she had squeeked out a single toe she would have gotten a couple of points.  Not doing the combo at all was such a huge mistake. 

I thought Hendrixx was overmarked a smidge.  Considering Isabeau and Haeien were so clean, with very similar if not the same technical content, there is no way Hendrixx was 3-4 points ahead of them.

I think this is the first time that we've had multiple skaters in virtual ties.  There is no room for any mistake between 2-4 or even a few further down .    

• Like 1

Anybody else having audio issues with Peacock?

Doing the live watch of the men--Donovan! I can definitely say that he has improved each year. I remember when he didn't have any quads at all. His skating needs more polish and he needs to work on his skating skills, but he definitely seems like he loves the sport and that's always nice to see.

I haven't seen Roman skate that well in awhile. He has an elegant quality to his skating that I really appreciate. He has the potential to be a full package skater. I hope he keeps it up for the long. 

Jason was great. Anyone who thinks he still shouldn't be in it--Camden might have the jumps, but he hasn't really been able to deliver. Jason can still deliver, even without a quad.

Deniss was great. He seemed so happy! 

Selevko had a rough skate, but I still think he's one to watch. 

Lukas reminds me of Jacob on Abbott Elementary. 

Ready for the final flight.

• Like 7
(edited)

Yikes, you guys, my heart hurts for Adam. That was hard to watch. 19th is even worse than I expected. 

Shoma was wonderful. He's everything a skater is supposed to be. The perfect balance of artistry and athleticism. 

Ilia definitely wasn't happy with his scores but I think the judges got it right. Yuma was great. 

Jason is 4th! Not bad at all.

So far this has been a very entertaining worlds. There have been some disappointments but there have been a lot of greats skates. I hope this energy continues into the long programs. 

Edited by Avaleigh
Not sure why I thought Camden was 5th lol.
  • Like 6
(edited)

Even harder to watch was Boyang Jin.  He didn't qualify for the free skate, ending up in second to last place, and was crying as Brian Orser patted his back in the Kiss and Cry. A hard fall for a former World medalist.

Anyone else think that Ilia seemed exhausted at the end? He landed everything. No mistakes, but he seemed tired. If he feels slighted by his scores, perhaps that will energize him to prove the judges wrong. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Like 5
26 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Even harder to watch was Boyang Jin.  He didn't qualify for the free skate, ending up in second to last place, and was crying as Brian Orser patted his back in the Kiss and Cry. A hard fall for a former World medalist.

Anyone else think that Ilia seemed exhausted at the end? He landed everything. No mistakes, but he seemed tired. If he feels slighted by his scores, perhaps that will energize him to prove the judges wrong. 

I agree re: Ilia looking spent. Don't recall ever seeing him this way before. Watching other skaters, leaving the ice with long faces, always makes me think: are they wondering right now if all those long hours at the rink, day after day, is really worth it.

2 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Jason is 4th but Camden is 17th. But Ilia is 3rd so excellent positions to get three spots for next year.

I edited my post. I'm not sure why I thought that especially since I saw Camden fall.

Watching the pairs now. A lot more mistakes from people this time around. 

Anybody else having audio issues with Peacock?

I watch on the CBC website and we were having issues as well.  Like we could barely hear the music for the men.  Maybe the problem was coming directly from the arena.  

Jason is 4th! Not bad at all.

I adore Jason but I feel like he was a teeny tiny bit overmarked.  I also felt Roman was undermarked but that might be the Canadian in me!!

(edited)

I used to love pairs, back in the day. For some reason, the overhead lifts now are making me too nervous to enjoy. 

Am I imagining it or is there less chatting on the NBC/USA broadcast? I was late to the Women's SP and figured Terry wasn't there. Plus Tara & Johnny weren't yakking away during performances. Maybe viewers complained after Nationals.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 2

some of those ladies seemed all arms and legs, like they would break like a toothpick.  It was distracting.  It made an interesting contrast to some of the more muscular skaters both among the ladies and the men.

(edited)

So, the U.S. gets two pairs for next year's World's by finishing 11, 12 and 13. A bit depressing with the placements, but at least it's not just one pair. 

With Deanna being 40, do you think she'll stick it out for two more years now that she's a World Champion?

Green/Parsons are not in the Dance line up. Bratti/Somerville are the third pair. Was that the way that they were chosen, or are G/P injured?

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Like 1
38 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Green/Parsons are not in the Dance line up. Bratti/Somerville are the third pair. Was that the way that they were chosen, or are G/P injured?

The way that they were chosen. Green/Parsons were first alternates.

• Like 1

OK, it's time for my usual Jason Brown rant. Feel free to skip.

If they are going to reward him so highly for his "artistry" then they should be consistent. After all "artistry" is subjective, and for my money Deniss Vasiljevs' short was just as good as Jason's if not better. His final spin was incredible, and his choreography doesn't come to a dead standstill for a long setup into his triple axel the way Jason's does. Yet he only scored 89.42 to Jason's 93.87. That's bullshit.

Also? During Ika Egadze's short, Johnny commented that "you could put on any kind of music and he'd skate the exact same way." Excuse me, but you could say the exact same thing about Jason Brown. He hasn't done anything "diverse" in years. You could watch his programs with the sound turned off and they would all look exactly the same. /rant

I really hate Shoma Uno's short program this season. His music is creepy. I much preferred Ilia's lively Spanish number. In fact I wish more skaters would do more upbeat numbers for their technical programs. I'm so tired of the melodrama.

Yuma Kagiyama looks like he's about 12 years old.

28 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

OK, it's time for my usual Jason Brown rant. Feel free to skip.

If they are going to reward him so highly for his "artistry" then they should be consistent. After all "artistry" is subjective, and for my money Deniss Vasiljevs' short was just as good as Jason's if not better. His final spin was incredible, and his choreography doesn't come to a dead standstill for a long setup into his triple axel the way Jason's does. Yet he only scored 89.42 to Jason's 93.87. That's bullshit.

Also? During Ika Egadze's short, Johnny commented that "you could put on any kind of music and he'd skate the exact same way." Excuse me, but you could say the exact same thing about Jason Brown. He hasn't done anything "diverse" in years. You could watch his programs with the sound turned off and they would all look exactly the same. /rant

Artistry truly is subjective.  IMO, Jason's skating stands out from the crowd (men & women) because he skates *with* his music, and his whole body can interpret a song--without all the wild gestures. Dick Button would be sputtering & agonizing in the commentator's booth today. Back in his day, he described the excessive arm motions as "hanging laundry" (& it wasn't as overwrought back then as it is now). Michelle Kwan, during her Lori Nichols' choreography days, was similar. Her skating interpreted her music with her arms rarely rising above her shoulders. But, who knows. World's being in Boston next year may bring out the inner elf in Jason 🍀

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

In fact I wish more skaters would do more upbeat numbers for their technical programs. I'm so tired of the melodrama.

We are in 100% agreement on this point. The audiences always perk up with the skaters who choose to have a more upbeat program. That isn't to say that there isn't room for softer, delicate, and/or dramatic programs. However, imo, only the best skaters can pull off the emo ballads and the hallelujah warhorses that are so frequently used by skaters these days. 

I actually liked Deniss's Hallelujah even though Hallelujah is by far my least favorite piece as far as the overdone music choices elite skaters use. Deniss is so talented and artistic that I'm pretty sure I'd like any musical selection he'd choose. There are a handful of skaters who are talented enough where they can skate to anything they want and I'm here for it. 

The people whose skating skills aren't quite on that level, I think with the short program it's better to choose popular, uptempo music. Make the choreography fun and win the crowd over--to me that makes more sense than choosing music that drags and feels even more sad when a skater makes a mistake. 

• Like 5
(edited)
4 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

This deduction is given to Hallelujah, Carmen and maybe Nessun Dorma.

I would also add Ave Maria to that list.

Denis is swoon worthy.  

When peacock (which was TERRIBLE today with soun and picture) has the replay up, I want to watch Bratty/Sommerville to see what happened because it is very surprising to me.

Edited by KittenPokerCheater
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Avaleigh said:

The people whose skating skills aren't quite on that level, I think with the short program it's better to choose popular, uptempo music. Make the choreography fun and win the crowd over--to me that makes more sense than choosing music that drags and feels even more sad when a skater makes a mistake. 

I think skaters choose "emo ballads (heh)" because they think it will improve their artistic score. Which it probably does. Judges aren't immune to emotional manipulation.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

When peacock (which was TERRIBLE today with soun and picture)

It was really frustrating during the pairs. There were at least three times where the cameras didn't catch both skaters during the side by side jumps. With Deanna and Maxime, I didn't see her land the triple toe, she was completely out of the frame. I only caught it when they were showing the replay before the scores. That happened a couple of other times that night, I think with Miura and Kihara too. So annoying.

Watching the ladies now. Maddie's dress is gorgeous.

Lots of wonderful skates so far. Gubanova, Kurakova, Kimmy, and Mone Chiba were all great. I'm getting ready to hold my breath during Amber's program. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

Watching Amber sobbing in the K & C was heartbreaking. Now that we know the reason for her lapse in program focusing, the ups & downs of her skating career so far, I wonder if she's going to give herself a break and not put herself through these painful experiences over & over.  That was a beautiful triple axel 💙

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Isabeau!!! How exciting for her! Her first world medal. It's a beautiful program. I'm glad she got to end her season with such an awesome skate. I don't think the Americans have had a silver medal since Ashley. So proud of her!

Amber...I just want her to realize one day that she can do this. She's has so much potential, it's hard to see her miss jumps that are so easy for her in practice. 

Chaeyeon Kim's jumps are fabulous. I thought she had one of the best combos of the night.

Loena falling was heartbreaking. I actually yelled an expletive when she fell on the flip. Hubby thinks I'm nuts. I was really hoping this would be Loena's year, but Kaori really threw down though.

Kaori! How amazing to have three in a row. She just proves year after year what an incredible competitor she is. Very happy for her. 

Yeah, I didn't miss the Russians one bit. This worlds has been so fun to watch.

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1