Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

On 10/2/2016 at 3:38 PM, Jamoche said:

"This is your brain on drugs" is back! No, this is an egg in a frying pan! But the pitch now is that the teenage kids of people who were teens when that first came out (like me, so get off my lawn) will be asking their parents about drugs. Funny, none of those kids are asking "did you really think that fried egg analogy made sense?"

No. No we didn't.

That was such a stupid commercial.  The cocaine rat commercial was much worse. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

I like the subtext in that ad, a dig at people who think "all black [or whatever race] people look alike".  There's another ad that speaks to that but I can't remember now which one it is.  Maybe one with Samuel L. Jackson.  ?? 

I confess that I often confuse Samuel and Laurence Fishburne, does that count?

• Love 2
On 9/30/2016 at 4:09 PM, Amethyst said:

Yeah, on second glance I'm pretty sure it's a discarded fake eyelash.  The woman is fiddling with her eye in the scene prior to it.

Ah, got it.  Still doesn't make sense why there's a false eyelash to begin with or why they think this makes for an interesting scene, but none of the commercial makes sense, so, ok then.

• Love 3

Speaking of false eyelashes, why do all mascara commercials rave about how long/lustrous/thick their mascara will make your lashes look when their models all have false eyelashes on? Do they really think we're all that bone stupid? Don't bother answering that. I know the answer.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

Speaking of false eyelashes, why do all mascara commercials rave about how long/lustrous/thick their mascara will make your lashes look when their models all have false eyelashes on? Do they really think we're all that bone stupid? Don't bother answering that. I know the answer.

I've been ranting about this for years.  The bottom line is: ALL mascaras are the SAME.  Some have some fibers, others are thicker or thinner, but all they do is coat your lashes.  They will NEVER look like the commercial because no human ever wears 5 pairs of fake eyelashes every day.

• Love 5

My kiddo saw the Gucci Guilty ad & said she thought it appeared to glorify cheating & wondered what that smelled like. I said cheap booze & regret. She corrected me & said that would be the knockoff Goochi Guiltee sold at the gas station & that Gucci Guilty probably smelled like name brand liquor & an old Victoria's Secret perfume. 

• Love 11
12 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I've been ranting about this for years.  The bottom line is: ALL mascaras are the SAME.  Some have some fibers, others are thicker or thinner, but all they do is coat your lashes.  They will NEVER look like the commercial because no human ever wears 5 pairs of fake eyelashes every day.

It's similar to commercials for shampoo or hair color that feature black women with long, curly, or otherwise beautiful hair. And abut 99% of the time, the women are wearing weaves--i.e. the hair you see is not theirs.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, topanga said:

It's similar to commercials for shampoo or hair color that feature black women with long, curly, or otherwise beautiful hair. And abut 99% of the time, the women are wearing weaves--i.e. the hair you see is not theirs.

Sincere question: does a weave not need to be shampooed?

• Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 7:48 PM, friendperidot said:

I slept most of the afternoon, have an infection and low grade fever, so maybe I was hallucinating. But I saw an ad for some cup like thing that women put on their mouths to make their lips puffier/fuller - not exactly sure, I had been asleep. I guess it was some kind of suction thing, but it came in 3 sizes, small medium and large. Maybe I was hallucinating.

If memory serves, it was featured on World's Dumbest... once.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But it's got "Sweet Jesus" and "Sweet Mary" in it - it MUST be a Christian song, therefore good.  ;-)

Welk even referred to it as a "modern spiritual" at the end of the clip.  And I loved the guy doing the intro - he didn't mention the name of the song, just that they were doing "...one of the newer songs."

• Love 5

I just saw that Febreze commercial where the mom tells her kid that his room stinks and he needs to "wash" it with Febreze. Then two girls with giant black caterpillars hovering above their eyes walk in and say it smells nice. Geez, did they draw those things in with big fat magic markers?

11 minutes ago, stillhere1900 said:

the letgo.com ad with the woman skydiving. Is it the same woman that needs to let go of her thing the same woman that skydives in and says she'll take it ? it looks like the same woman to me.

They look like mother and daughter to me, but you could be right!

Wife (who looks 14) makes her husband Jimmy Dean sausage. Bill gets so much energy that he finishes the gazebo, "prompting a celebration in Laurie's backyard."

So, Bill's getting anal sex tonight for completing his project?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, CoyoteBlue said:

Wife (who looks 14) makes her husband Jimmy Dean sausage. Bill gets so much energy that he finishes the gazebo, "prompting a celebration in Laurie's backyard."

So, Bill's getting anal sex tonight for completing his project?

huh ?

• Love 4

Maybe someone can explain this to me. Whenever I see this commercial I am baffled. I think it's for Adorn/Adore me.com, a site that sells lingerie and/or bras (probably a club like thing similiar to Just Fab). A woman is talking the site up to her not seen friend, ending with the following statement: ""I know your phone is out, so look them up." What the fuck? What are they trying to say? What difference does her phone being out make?

Edited by kat165
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, stillhere1900 said:

yes.  I thought it was pretty self explanatory.

When I first read it I thought She was saying " your phone is out " ie not working. I reread it and that did not make sense then understood what she was saying. I am old and while I do look up a lot of things on my phone, I am using it now to type this, I did not think automaticly the she needed to look it up on her phone. So on first read I was confused as to how she should look it up. But then again as I said I am old.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

When I first read it I thought She was saying " your phone is out " ie not working. I reread it and that did not make sense then understood what she was saying. I am old and while I do look up a lot of things on my phone, I am using it now to type this, I did not think automaticly the she needed to look it up on her phone. So on first read I was confused as to how she should look it up. But then again as I said I am old.

Yeah, to me "your phone is out" = "no service"; "you have your phone out" = "in your hand".

• Love 7
On 10/8/2016 at 6:54 PM, ABay said:

Somewhere on Youtube there's a video of Brewer or Shipley responding to the Lawrence Welk bit.

Oh yes there is.

Another copy, posted by Shipley himself XD.

What he said: Lawrence Welk does "One Toke Over The Line". Wow.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

I remember when I first found that one. XD Too funny. Can only imagine the reaction of some viewers after watching that one.

I doubt very much if they knew what it meant, but it had that jesusy thing going on. They probably wondered why their grandchildren kept snickering.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

What the hell is up with that Kit Kat ad that shows a family in a store and the dad is dressed in a lion costume, he picks up a Kit Kat and it starts singing?

This is the explanation for me: it's Halloween hence the reason for the costumes , the dad is Chance the Rapper, Kit Kat paid him a load of money to sing the theme song, hence if Chance the Rapper likes Kit Kats his fans will buy them. That's all I've got. I would say they were picking up more candy to pass out but I didn't see any shopping cart or bags of candy in their hands.

• Love 3

Full disclosure - I don't like yogurt in general, and I think Greek style yogurt is the work of the Devil.  So I am not the demographic for this product from FAGE, but can someone explain the need (desire???) for "Chef Crossovers" and yogurt flavors like "Olive", "Carrot" and Tomato Basil"?  I my taste buds try to jump out of my mouth  every time I see these ads.

• Love 5

I used to make salad dressing with an envelope of that "Good Seasons" stuff and a cup of yogurt. Yogurt's not *supposed* to be sweet, unless we want it that way.  Apparently, they can sell more of it if they load it up with extraneous sugar & pieces of what used to be fruit.  I think those Chef Crossovers might be good - not to eat straight out of the cup, but as a sauce or dressing.

• Love 3

No chef or serious cook is going to use flavored yogurt, savory or sweet.  They will season the dish themselves.  Just a gimmick for those who like to buy already seasoned products.  :^)