Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

17 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Where I live the gas and electric company wants people to use less energy between 4pm and 9pm.

Here it is the electric company wanting us to use less electricity 7 - 9 AM and 6 - 8 PM.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
10 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Here it is the electric company wanting us to use less electricity 7 - 9 AM and 6 - 8 PM.

No matter the utilities' restrictions and rate hikes during peak hours, it still doesn't make sense to run appliances that also use water, another utility to pay for, and overpriced detergent pods for less than say 3/4 to a full load.

Cascade is trying to brainwash people into overspending on their products, and it annoys me!

• Like 7
6 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Why oh why are people wasting an entire pod designed to wash a full load on a couple of snack dishes?  

His dishwasher is 2/3 full from that "light snack". 😲

• LOL 6

They’re trying to convince us using the dishwasher even half full is more economical than hand washing, but it still doesn’t explain why that’s better than waiting until it’s completely full. I use it every other day. If there’s something I can’t wait that long for I’ll hand wash it. 

• Like 8
On 6/17/2023 at 8:07 AM, Haleth said:

They’re trying to convince us using the dishwasher even half full is more economical than hand washing, but it still doesn’t explain why that’s better than waiting until it’s completely full. I use it every other day. If there’s something I can’t wait that long for I’ll hand wash it. 

Yeah this is the thing with the commercials saying run your dishwasher every day.  Like most people, I certainly don't hand wash unless there is something that dirty that I will need to use again before I run the dishwasher.  I am certainly not hand washing every day.  It's just a way to get people to use more of their product, but if people actually think about it, the commercial makes no sense.

• Like 4

I don't even own a dishwasher, and I don't wash my dishes every day.  Of course, it's just me, and I don't use a lot of dishes in any given day, so there's no need.  If I did own a dishwasher, it would probably take a week to fill it.  I don't have that many dishes!

• Like 6
1 minute ago, mmecorday said:

I really don't understand the Amazon commercial with the guy trying to impress a pretty girl by walking around wearing a horse mask. 

Thankfully, she shook her head like she was just amused, but he was too much of an idiot.

(edited)
9 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I really don't understand the Amazon commercial with the guy trying to impress a pretty girl by walking around wearing a horse mask. 

I think it's kind of fun, the way she changes from WTF? to Okay, you do you, you're obviously having a ball in her reaction to him.  I definitely wouldn't call him, and I might even stay stuck on WTF?, but the commercial works for me because of the actor; I really like her facial expressions.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5
25 minutes ago, tres bien said:

Who the heck is Kelly Clarkson's stylist for Wayfair commercials? In a current commercial she's wearing a purple dress that looks like she's going to a Halloween party 

It's Wayfair's signature color, along with the purple lipstick.

• Useful 1
(edited)
58 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

It's Wayfair's signature color, along with the purple lipstick.

She seems to like the oversized/flowy belted look. Most of the clothes she wears are rather on the "What not to Wear" side of things...

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 6
  • LOL 5

I wasn't sure where to post this but I've seen an ad the last few days in which someone who looks like "Julia Sugarbaker" of Designing Women walks through a scene in the last second of the ad. It might be for Priceline. Has anyone else seen this ad?   

On 6/26/2023 at 2:29 PM, tres bien said:

Who the heck is Kelly Clarkson's stylist for Wayfair commercials? In a current commercial she's wearing a purple dress that looks like she's going to a Halloween party 

On 6/26/2023 at 3:53 PM, Gramto6 said:

She seems to like the oversized/flowy belted look. Most of the clothes she wears are rather on the "What not to Wear" side of things...

I like her figure, with its curves and her great waist, but I've been saying to myself for a while now that the clothes she's been wearing in the commercials do her no favours whatsoever.  Sometimes she reminds me of Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York, in her unflattering choices.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
14 hours ago, Leeds said:

I like her figure, with its curves and her great waist, but I've been saying to myself for a while now that the clothes she's been wearing in the commercials do her no favours whatsoever.  Sometimes she reminds me of Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York, in her unflattering choices.

I have accidentally seen her on other things & she wears exactly the same unflattering style with the wide belt and it does her figure no favours.

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Good for her. If she likes it and she feels comfortable in it, who cares what she looks like in it, unless it's clothing that she's selling?

She's not selling clothing. She's hawking Wayfair. The latest ad where they poof everything purple, Wayfair's signature color, that her purple dress and lipstick are rather startling. They have her talk show on at the gym my husband goes to (captions on, no sound). My husband's observation about Kelly is that every guest she has on is her absolute favorite! 🙄 That dress style is what she always wears. I say good for her too.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Yeah, I know that. My (unclear) point was that unless she's selling clothing, what she wears is irrelevant.

Except if it's distracting viewers from the actual product that's not a good thing.

• Like 9

I've watched/heard this commercial about 100 times and for the life of me can't understand what they say at the end.  All I hear is "...these effing offers won't last forever".  Regardless of the actual line, I prefer my version.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
On 7/4/2023 at 8:03 AM, cynicat said:

I've watched/heard this commercial about 100 times and for the life of me can't understand what they say at the end.  All I hear is "...these effing offers won't last forever".  Regardless of the actual line, I prefer my version.

Is that Brie Larson disguised as someone else? I thought they got rid of her.

3 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I wouldn't know Brie Larson if you hit me over the head with her, so maybe?  Either way, the commercials are stupid and do not make me want to buy a Nissan.

• Like 2

Saw one today that makes me think the My Pillow Guy is having some business problems.  It starts out introducing his new line of towels.  Half-way through he interrupts his own commercial to tell us to hurry, the towels are on close-out and once they are gone they are gone.  

And he pours some blue liquid on his and "ordinary" towels to show how it soaks into his, but puddles up on the other ones.  I find you have to wash towels before using to make them more absorbent. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3

I don't get why he interrupts his commercial to do...another commercial. Why not just...put it all in one commercial? 

But of course, given who we're talking about, I shouldn't be surprised his commercials won't make any logical sense. 

• Like 7

Anyone seen the commercial for something called Eye Candy?

Basically it's an oversized magnifier for those with difficulty reading things. It actually shows someone using it to read an electronic device rather than just making it larger on the screen, talk about trying to sell something totally useless to the 99.9% of people who have a cell phone in this country.

• Like 3
On 7/5/2023 at 4:00 PM, CrystalBlue said:

I don't know who the effing chick is but she's annoying and her speech style sucks.

That pretty much describes Brie Larson!

On 7/7/2023 at 9:25 PM, Annber03 said:

I don't get why he interrupts his commercial to do...another commercial. Why not just...put it all in one commercial? 

• LOL 2

I don't understand why why the Indiana Jones theme segues into ELO's Don't Bring Me Down.   Like, WTF does that have to do with Indiana Jones.   Both good but they don't mesh together at all and it makes no sense putting them together.

Also head scratching:  why pair Indiana Jones with Applebee's.   It really cheapens an iconic franchise. 

• Like 4
On 7/8/2023 at 9:44 AM, Shrek said:

Anyone seen the commercial for something called Eye Candy?

Basically it's an oversized magnifier for those with difficulty reading things. It actually shows someone using it to read an electronic device rather than just making it larger on the screen, talk about trying to sell something totally useless to the 99.9% of people who have a cell phone in this country.

Maybe they're reading the post-it notes stuck to their screen?

• LOL 6
On 7/13/2023 at 4:26 PM, peacheslatour said:

The Xfinity commercial where the guy moves his family out to the country to get fresh air or whatever. He cuts down all these trees and it must have taken days, why does his daughter scream bloody murder when he cuts down that last one?

I don't think it's the father cutting down the tree, but why is she screaming and do you really need to clearcut a broad swatch of forest so you have line-of-sight to the tower? 🤔

• Like 1
(edited)

This question could probably fit under a few different forums, but does anyone know the name of the song the Roku channel uses to promote itself during almost every commercial break? I've been binging Project Runway and Dateline on the Roku channel, so I hear this freaking song 50 times a day, but cannot understand the lyrics to the song -- I keep hearing 'proud girlfriend' which makes zero sense 😅 Honestly, it's driving me crazy. Binging Project Runway and Dateline isn't helping, I'm sure.

Edited by QQQQ
(edited)

I'm scratching my head as to why Cadbury's would advertise Caramello by having some guy watering his plants with what looks like the contents of my baby's diaper after I fed her sweet potatoes

Edited by Leeds
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
3 hours ago, Leeds said:

I'm scratching my head as to why Cadbury's would advertise Caramello by having some guy watering his plants with what looks like the contents of my baby's diaper after I fed her sweet potatoes

Yuck! The thought of him hosing down the neighborhood is gross. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

Yuck! The thought of him hosing down the neighborhood is gross. 

Not as gross as Cadbury chocolate made by Hershey for American tastes.

• Like 5
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 1
12 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Not as gross as Cadbury chocolate made by Hershey for American tastes.

God yes.  Even the original stuff is too sweet for me, the thought of an American version makes my mouth and stomach rebel.

• Like 2