Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

The Golden Globes commercial with Tracy Morgan yelling something about "something... America (unintelligible) something... deal with it Cate Blanchette" and then cuts to Cate Blanchette laughing and clapping??  And I assume this was from when 30 Rock won, since Tracy is standing with Jane Krakowski.  WTF is this?  And why would the Golden Globes think this is a good way to promote the awards show?  

This is the best they can do?  They have Jerrod Carmichael hosting, why not show a snippet of him doing standup, or something like that?

Why use a very old, very seemingly rude Tracy Morgan speech?

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
38 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't understand the relevance of the Golden Globes. Fewer than 90 people vote for these awards and they're all reporters (Hollywood Foreign Press Assn.) What the hell gives these people so much clout?

I just think of the Golden Globes as a reason for celebrities to sit around and get drunk and act stupid.  I won't watch and haven't watched in years.    

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

I just think of the Golden Globes as a reason for celebrities to sit around and get drunk and act stupid.  I won't watch and haven't watched in years.    

No, awards shows seem like a throwback to another era. I don't watch them either.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

I haven't seen the Golden Globes ad, and stopped watching the various awards shows decades ago and only know about the controversial stuff that comes out in showbiz gossip news headlines.  Are they trying to get publicity on the back of the Oscars when Will Smith slapped Chris Rock?  IDK really.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, Haleth said:

Speaking of the Golden Globes, I didn't watch but I see that Jennifer Coolidge of the Old Navy sorry/not sorry commercials won for The White Lotus.  

Epic acceptance speech too. Made Mike White (the creator of White Lotus) cry. She was wonderful.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Is it just me, or does it look like Marie Osmond is wearing a bad wig in her Nutrisystem commercials?

Those wig speculations have been going on for years especially in the Shopping Channels forum.

• Like 2
On 12/13/2022 at 12:29 PM, peacheslatour said:

image.png.df934f795f408786ecbed3be2f309b2d.png

"Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country?"

On 12/17/2022 at 9:49 AM, chessiegal said:

I find it amusing that men are being told they need to shave parts of their bodies other than their face. So many decades of women being told they need to be hairless other than their heads.

They are also being told their ears are disgusting.

• Like 1
On 1/6/2023 at 2:38 PM, peacheslatour said:

"When I was but a child, eating Heinz on spaghetti..." Seriously? Did anybody eat spaghetti with ketchup on it outside of Honey Boo Boo?

I work with someone whose mother made ketchup spaghetti.  She grew up thinking that's what it was!

• Mind Blown 1

The Nuts.Com commercial is cracking me (no pun) up. "When my grandfather started Nuts.Com in 1929..." I'm picturing old gramps, with his green clerk's visor and sleeve garters going "I shall invent the internet and then I'll open a nut company!"

• LOL 12
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

The Nuts.Com commercial is cracking me (no pun) up. "When my grandfather started Nuts.Com in 1929..." I'm picturing old gramps, with his green clerk's visor and sleeve garters going "I shall invent the internet and then I'll open a nut company!"

I like how the current owner looks almost exactly the same as granddad

• Like 2
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I always think the same thing. I wish he talked about his grandfather starting "this company" or something.

• Like 2
On 1/8/2023 at 2:55 PM, Gharlane said:

Sad but true: Mom used to make spaghetti sauce by browning some ground beef and adding ketchup. I'm not sure if that was a quick-meal idea or not.

My grandmother (who I saw once a year) made a version of the beef/ketchup sauce.  I was a kid and LOVED it.  Wish I could remember how she did it.

On topic:  Who at Lays/Pepsi in their right mind decided to humilate the Mannings and Terry Bradshaw in this way?  Why are they singing so badly? Why is Peyton left behind?  Just...why?

There's a Babble commercial which features a gringa walking into a restaurant of some sort in Mexico or Spain and saying something like "I want some food" in Spanish, which seems like weird thing to say because, duh, you're in a restaurant! 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
4 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

There's a Babble commercial which features a gringa walking into a restaurant of some sort in Mexico or Spain and saying something like "I want some food" in Spanish, which seems like weird thing to say because, duh, you're in a restaurant! 

She says "I'd like to order something to eat."

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 1/27/2023 at 4:01 PM, partofme said:

I love the Skyrizi jingle, I sing it all the time.

I'm confused. I thought Skyrizi was for a skin disorder, so imagine my surprise at the guy on the roller coaster not worried about it becoming a diarrhea-coaster ride! 

21 hours ago, chessiegal said:

She says "I'd like to order something to eat."

Mam, this is a restaurant.

Edited by Gharlane
8 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

I'm confused. I thought Skyrizi was for a skin disorder, so imagine my surprise at the guy on the roller coaster not worried about it becoming a diarrhea-coaster ride! 

Mam, this is a restaurant.

Sir, this is an Arby's.

24 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

It's used to treat autoimmune diseases, which are a bitch. So, it treats both psoriasis and ulcerative colitis and Crohn's.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3

Cottonelle, with their continuing “down there care” says we’re supposed to wipe our ass if we had a date that’s going to result in a sexual encounter.

I always take a shower for a date.  If I’ve pooped earlier in the day and don’t feel I’ve wiped sufficiently i’ll re-wipe, date or not.

but for a date, it’s a shower.  And to imply that unless you have a date there’s no point in cleaning up, well ewww.  Just ewww.

• Like 9
On 1/28/2023 at 3:47 PM, Gharlane said:

Right and then the little girl comes over and is like how did you learn Spanish? And I'm like, probably the same way you learned English? Like at least have that conversation in Spanish with subtitles because otherwise it's ridiculous.

Also, don't touch children that you don't know, even on the nose. It's weird.

• Like 5

Something just caught my attention with the Colonial Penn life insurance commercials. When Jonathon Lawson, insurance professional and dedicated employee for over 16 years, says you don't have to answer health questions, he follows it by saying full benefits are not paid for the first 2 years. Does that mean you have to live 2 years after taking out the policy for it to pay?

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Something just caught my attention with the Colonial Penn life insurance commercials. When Jonathon Lawson, insurance professional and dedicated employee for over 16 years, says you don't have to answer health questions, he follows it by saying full benefits are not paid for the first 2 years. Does that mean you have to live 2 years after taking out the policy for it to pay?

Sounds like you do in order to receive "full" benefits. I take that to mean you get a partial payment if you die under the 2 year period. I never noticed that caveat before...  

• Like 2
7 hours ago, chessiegal said:

There is something about him that I find weirdly attractive.

i worn buy his insurance but I’d love to uhm dance with him or whatever 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 2
10 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The hosts on the commercials do it for the money, and no other reason.

i'm sure alex had enough money coming in from jeopardy to not cloud his reputation with these commercials

and there's cheesy commercials and commercials that downright lead people to make very poor financial decisions that people fall for

Edited by cinsays
  • Like 6
17 hours ago, cinsays said:

i'm sure alex had enough money coming in from jeopardy to not cloud his reputation with these commercials

and there's cheesy commercials and commercials that downright lead people to make very poor financial decisions that people fall for

*coughTomSelleckcough*

• Like 13
22 hours ago, cinsays said:

I'm sure he felt it was worth the money.  He had kids, so he probably wanted to make sure there was plenty to take care of them.  Plus, he supported a lot of charities, so I imagine a lot of the Colonial Penn money went there, too.

• Like 2

Just saw this ad on TV earlier...so, if I were thinking of songs to help advertise my cruise ship line, I'm not sure Culture Club's "Karma Chameleon" would be my pick. I like that song, but what a weird choice. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Just saw this ad on TV earlier...so, if I were thinking of songs to help advertise my cruise ship line, I'm not sure Culture Club's "Karma Chameleon" would be my pick. I like that song, but what a weird choice. 

Beats Lust for Life, I guess.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I hear they have a strict policy of throwing pickpockets overboard.

• LOL 6
4 hours ago, Annber03 said:

And then there is the soup ad that uses some gawdawful rendering of Do You Believe In Magic. I have always loved that song but what the hell does it have to do with soup?

• Like 4
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

And then there is the soup ad that uses some gawdawful rendering of Do You Believe In Magic. I have always loved that song but what the hell does it have to do with soup?

Just saw the ad. They are showing a can of soup turn into a main course meal - voila! Magic!

• LOL 4