Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

23 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

The GoodRx one where the lady who's dressed as a waitress who goes to the pharmacy with 2 small kids. She looks way too old to have kids that young. Or is it just me? She looks mid 50s.

That lady's voice annoys me so much. I've posted about it in the annoyance thread too.

• Love 3

I couldn't find the current one on YouTube to post here but I am mystified by these Sweet James ads. Apparently he's a sort of famous personal injury attorney but the latest ad seems to me like a parody made by SNL. He reads to me like he's high or something. There are a couple of women in it who are supposed to be attorneys as well but they come across to me like they were recruited off Instagram and there should be a disclaimer saying they were paid actors. Plus one of them has some kind weird deepfake effect going on like they were trying to disguise her real appearance. Credit to the producer for making an ad that always gets my attention because I can't stop trying to puzzle it out.

• Love 2

There's some bra commercial that has me super confused. A very annoyed woman announces to the camera that she no longer has the "time or patience for wired bras."

Like...what? I get people might find wired bras uncomfortable, but is putting one on so much more time consuming than a non-wired one? What am I missing?

• LOL 13
  • Love 2

There’s a commercial of a couple evading the crashing waves and going around to other spots in a white Volvo.

But as they’re spending the day together, close up shots show the female to be a teen, maybe around 15, while the man seems well into his 40s.

OK so father and daughter spending the day together?  Seems more ambiguous, seems like they’re doing couple-ish things.

3 hours ago, Eliot said:

There's some bra commercial that has me super confused. A very annoyed woman announces to the camera that she no longer has the "time or patience for wired bras."

Like...what? I get people might find wired bras uncomfortable, but is putting one on so much more time consuming than a non-wired one? What am I missing?

I haven't seen the ad; it sounds really stupid. I don't think you're missing anything - it's poorly written copy.  Patience, yeah. Time? not so much. Unless you spend an inordinate amount of time digging wires out of your breasts.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Eliot said:

Is it possible they're suggesting you can put wireless bras in the dryer but not wired ones?

giphy.gif

Edited by janie jones
  • LOL 6

The GEICO Clogging Neighbors one gets is funny enough. However, I can't help but think if I had upstairs neighbors who seemed to dress up in Amish plain clothes AND who had themselves and their minor offspring clog during every waking moment even while brushing their teeth, I'd give CPS a call to see if they needed to have the Riot Act read!

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

There is an ad for a Sienna where a bunch of women are chatting in the van, and one says something like “you won’t jump in that lake” and another is like “yes I will” so they pull off the beautiful mountain road.  As everyone piles out of the van the chyron says “do not attempt.”

Do not attempt what?  Driving?  Pulling over?  Getting out?  Going swimming?  Staying in the car?  I’m not sure what they are covering their asses about.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, mojoween said:

There is an ad for a Sienna where a bunch of women are chatting in the van, and one says something like “you won’t jump in that lake” and another is like “yes I will” so they pull off the beautiful mountain road.  As everyone piles out of the van the chyron says “do not attempt.”

Do not attempt what?  Driving?  Pulling over?  Getting out?  Going swimming?  Staying in the car?  I’m not sure what they are covering their asses about.

Do not try accepting a stupid dare when there could be snakes in the lake. Or if it's Florida or Louisiana, giant reptiles with big snouts filled with teeth.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I think this the same ad that at the beginning they are discussing someone from a dating app.  One of them is listing the qualities including “long hair” and “plays frisbee” when another voice dismissively says “what is he, a Labrador?”

I can’t be the only one who grumbled in disgust.  Long hair?  Do the advertisers not know what a Labbie looks like?  Of all dogs to choose!

Edited by elle
  • LOL 8
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I saw this commercial last night and had the same reaction.  So I should want a car that was raised by goats?  Um, sure, they're good on tough terrain and adept at finding food sources, but those might not be what I'm looking for in a vehicle. 

Will they eat my sticker bushes? This is important.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

I'm puzzled by the ads for Car Guru's.  Not by the ad itself but for the fact that they pronounce the name like it's  "cargoroos"

Same with the HurryCane commercial. Some of the people pronounce it "hurricane" and others pronounce it "hurry cane."

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

That bugs the heck out of me.

I saw a commercial for COPD, don't know the name of the drug. But it has this woman who stands up and cuts off her hospital band and takes her coffee cup and ashtray and puts it in a box to sell at a flea market. WTF! is that all she was selling? she could of just given it way, upcycle some how. Its a stupid commercial.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

I saw a commercial for COPD, don't know the name of the drug. But it has this woman who stands up and cuts off her hospital band and takes her coffee cup and ashtray and puts it in a box to sell at a flea market. WTF! is that all she was selling? she could of just given it way, upcycle some how. Its a stupid commercial.

I get the ashtray but why the coffee cup?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My guess is that drinking coffee was a trigger to smoke?

We saw the commercial one night, and I had the same question about the coffee cup. GF said when she was growing up, her mom would smoke a couple of cigarettes every morning while having a cup of coffee. One of the hardest parts of quitting smoking was that morning cup of coffee.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

"Constipation is all around. You just have to know where to look." 

Why in god's name would I want to go looking for constipation? 

I know where constipation can be found and I am not looking for it!  There are places I am not willing to go. 

• LOL 13

There's this series of commercials for a tax preparer (can't remember which one) where the tax person and their desk goes to the client.  In one of them, the client is a farmer who says, I think, "The profits from my wheat farm in Utah pay for my potato farm in Idaho", but the first time I saw it, I'd have sworn he said his WEED farm in Utah.

• LOL 5
On 1/16/2021 at 9:38 AM, Blergh said:

The GEICO Clogging Neighbors one gets is funny enough. However, I can't help but think if I had upstairs neighbors who seemed to dress up in Amish plain clothes AND who had themselves and their minor offspring clog during every waking moment even while brushing their teeth, I'd give CPS a call to see if they needed to have the Riot Act read!

I love that commercial, but I do find myself wondering why they don't complain to the landlord about the noise upstairs.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I love that commercial, but I do find myself wondering why they don't complain to the landlord about the noise upstairs.

My experience with complaining to landlords is that it never did any good. What if it's a condo they own? I've had that experience also. I had to laugh at an episode of House Hunters this week that the husband said they had to get out of their rental because of all the noise from their upstairs neighbors. He said it sounded like they were practicing for Olympic gymnastic trials.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My experience with complaining to landlords is that it never did any good. What if it's a condo they own? I've had that experience also. I had to laugh at an episode of House Hunters this week that the husband said they had to get out of their rental because of all the noise from their upstairs neighbors. He said it sounded like they were practicing for Olympic gymnastic trials.

I had an upstairs neighbor who lifted weights.  And dropped them on the floor.  Over and over.  I did complain, and they put a stop to it.

• Love 3
On 1/20/2021 at 3:05 PM, meep.meep said:

I'm puzzled by the ads for Car Guru's.  Not by the ad itself but for the fact that they pronounce the name like it's  "cargoroos"

What puzzles me is the name uses the plural form of guru. Isn't there sppsd to be only one guru?

On 12/13/2020 at 10:16 PM, Ubiquit0us said:

If the little girl in the Dominoes pizza commercial recognizes the NASCAR(?) racer by name, why does she think he's wearing pajamas? 

Another question just occurred to me: Why is he driving a race-car to pick up his pizza? Are you even allowed to drive them on the highway? It seems it would have been much easier to take his normal car so he didn't have unbuckle himself and remove the steering wheel and crawl thru the window...

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Ubiquit0us said:

Another question just occurred to me: Why is he driving a race-car to pick up his pizza? Are you even allowed to drive them on the highway? It seems it would have been much easier to take his normal car so he didn't have unbuckle himself and remove the steering wheel and crawl thru the window...

That commercial runs so often and is so annoying that have come to hate the little girl.  If she If she knows the race car driver, how can she not recognize that he is wearing a race driving outfit?

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Suzn said:

That commercial runs so often and is so annoying that have come to hate the little girl.  If she If she knows the race car driver, how can she not recognize that he is wearing a race driving outfit?

I take it she is dissing him.

• Love 8
On 1/23/2021 at 6:48 PM, Ubiquit0us said:

What puzzles me is the name uses the plural form of guru. Isn't there sppsd to be only one guru?

I think they want you to think there’s a whole team of gurus.

• Love 2
On 1/23/2021 at 6:48 PM, Ubiquit0us said:

noun

Hinduism. a preceptor giving personal religious instruction.

an intellectual or spiritual guide or leader.

any person who counsels or advises; mentor:The elder senator was her political guru.

a leader in a particular field:the city's cultural gurus.

Guru can be plural.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

What does "A veteran made of doing what's right" mean?

I can't tell if you can't parse this phrase or if you just think it's stupid (which it is), so I'll explain just in case: A veteran who is made of "doing what's right," i.e. a veteran who is constitutionally incapable of not doing the right thing.

• Love 3

Been seeing this one, usually on Animal Planet or the news. Yellowtail wine, I guess because it's playoff time. It's annoying and makes me scratch my head. I haven't heard anyone sing with that heavy of a British accent since Herman's Hermits sang about Mrs. Brown's Lovely Daughter and being Henry the Eighth. 

• LOL 5
2 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Been seeing this one, usually on Animal Planet or the news. Yellowtail wine, I guess because it's playoff time. It's annoying and makes me scratch my head. I haven't heard anyone sing with that heavy of a British accent since Herman's Hermits sang about Mrs. Brown's Lovely Daughter and being Henry the Eighth. 

Yellowtail is an Australian wine; that's probably a Hollywood idea of an Oz accent.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, Dirtybubble said:

What the A.F. is happening in this commercial??  What has a pet turtle have to do with a Discover card??  And then flipping him over??

He didn't really flip him over so much as hold him up. I agree though, it's a stupid commercial.

• Love 1