Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

It sounds like the Daily Harvest commercial. The only problem I see with that service is you need a lot of freezer space. That might be one of the few I would try, but , old tiny freezer so wouldn't work for me.

Not to mention that your freezer is probably already full of "The Farmer's Dog" dog food LOL.

How many people want to fill up a freezer with... dog food? 

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

It sounds like the Daily Harvest commercial. The only problem I see with that service is you need a lot of freezer space. That might be one of the few I would try, but , old tiny freezer so wouldn't work for me.

Are the Daily Harvest commercials the ones where people are drinking their smoothies out of the same cup they food had been in in the freezer, but somehow the smoothie volume is twice that of the container?

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, janie jones said:

Are the Daily Harvest commercials the ones where people are drinking their smoothies out of the same cup they food had been in in the freezer, but somehow the smoothie volume is twice that of the container?

Yep, that's the one.

• LOL 1

I just saw the tail end of a commercial where a couple of dudes are sitting on horseback, apparently enjoying the view. One of them reaches back and opens a door on his horses's butt and reveals a cooler in there. WTF? It's just as gross as the half motorcycle weirdos.

• Love 6
On 9/20/2020 at 8:20 PM, Browncoat said:

I just saw the most idiotic Allstate commercial.  This woman rolled out of bed, wrapped in her blankets, then kept rolling through town, picking up all sorts of things (sod, garden hose, flowers, clean laundry, etc.) as she rolled.  I don't get it.

I was going to mention the same commercial.  She's supposed to be safer all wrapped up like that?  I keep envisioning her going off track and her head being scraped and battered against something and she can't defend herself because her arms are wrapped against her sides.  I also get a "trapped in a coffin unable to move" vibe and it freaks me out.

And while you're all here answering questions...  What is that pizza guy yelling as he throws the pizza at the car window?  Sounds like "Catherine!"

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Johann said:

I was going to mention the same commercial.  She's supposed to be safer all wrapped up like that?  I keep envisioning her going off track and her head being scraped and battered against something and she can't defend herself because her arms are wrapped against her sides.  I also get a "trapped in a coffin unable to move" vibe and it freaks me out.

And while you're all here answering questions...  What is that pizza guy yelling as he throws the pizza at the car window?  Sounds like "Catherine!"

I thought he was saying frisbee as he tossed the pizza.... 

• Love 2

There’s a commercial for California Closets that plays relentlessly on YouTube. It’s  a woman in her beautiful walk-in closet, fine. She’s thinking about what she’s going to say to the boy she’s adopting (very sweet). The voiceover is soooo distracting! She has a weird, deep voice that does not sound natural. It reminds me of Elizabeth Holmes. It really confuses me. 

• Love 1
On 10/17/2020 at 11:00 AM, Suzn said:

I wasn't fast enough to be first!  My icon is an Australian Shepard.  They are the best!

I have a border collie and a blue heeler. I think the border collie is in close relation with the Australian Shepard

• Love 1

Thanks for the info on the dog breed. I saw one in the park last Tuesday, when we were having our socially-distanced condo board meeting.  It was one of the last days of really great weather & the park was very busy. Still, they let us have the pavilion for our meeting.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, 7isBlue said:

There’s a commercial for California Closets that plays relentlessly on YouTube. It’s  a woman in her beautiful walk-in closet, fine. She’s thinking about what she’s going to say to the boy she’s adopting (very sweet). The voiceover is soooo distracting! She has a weird, deep voice that does not sound natural. It reminds me of Elizabeth Holmes. It really confuses me. 

I felt like she was coming out as trans in that commercial, which also perfectly fits the narrative that they are showing, so I was a little confused. And hey, I'd be all in for trans-positive commercials, it's just odd how this one came out as not being that. 

Can we talk about the John Goodman commercials? 

The one for that slot machine app (where he's a thumb)? and then theres another one with him. Someone needs some paychecks apparently. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Nicmar said:

have a border collie and a blue heeler. I think the border collie is in close relation with the Australian Shepard

is that 2 dogs or 1 that is Border Collie/Blue Heeler? The bestest dog of my life was a Border Collie/Blue Heeler, his name was Mikey, after the Life cereal commercial. He died nearly 20 years ago and I've had several good dogs since, but he was the bestest. 

And the commercial I was referring to upthread is Daily Harvest, that silvery stuff may be something with ice in/on it, I don't know, I keep watching it and I still don't know what it is, it's just odd. As in "what's this stuff?" I don't know some metallic stuff, supposed to be good for you. "You try it? I'm not gonna try it. I know, let's give it to Mikey. Yeah, he won't eat it, he hates everything. He likes it! Hey Mikey!" A tribute to commercials and my Mikey. He would have eaten it, but he liked most things.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Nicmar said:

I think the border collie is in close relation with the Australian Shepard

Yes, Border Collies and Aussies are very similar. I always say an Aussie will work all day for a treat, a Border Collie will work all day as a treat. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Yes, Border Collies and Aussies are very similar. I always say an Aussie will work all day for a treat, a Border Collie will work all day as a treat. 

I had never been around a Border Collie until I had my mixed one. I just didn't know what to do with him, he was so smart. Then I heard someone on a dog training type show say that the best gift you can give a Border Collie is a farm. I would have loved to give Mikey one, but it wasn't ever going to happen.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Moose135 said:

LOL! You are right. The Blue heeler I own well she will nip you when you leave the room, I don't know if she is trying to herd me and she used to do it to the other dogs

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Nicmar said:

LOL! You are right. The Blue heeler I own well she will nip you when you leave the room, I don't know if she is trying to herd me and she used to do it to the other dogs

My parents had a Blue Heeler/Poodle mix. She would herd my son when he was little. They live on a lake and whenever he was playing at the beach, she would always place herself between him and the water. Good girl!

• Love 7
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My parents had a Blue Heeler/Poodle mix. She would herd my son when he was little. They live on a lake and whenever he was playing at the beach, she would always place herself between him and the water. Good girl!

I heard that Corgis will herd small kids..

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Nicmar said:

I heard that Corgis will herd small kids..

Yes, they will. If you ever watch the AKC dog show, you will see that Corgis are part of the Herding Group, along with Aussies, Border Collies, and about 40 other breeds, most of which you probably never heard of.

• Love 3

I'm watching Dorothy Hamill's Aetna Medicare advantage commercial just now (and is everyone seeing these MC Advantage ads all the time, or is because I'm kind of old?). And while she says something like "this keeps me on the ice, the thing I love," we never her see her actually skate. We see all the young'uns she's coaching skate, but not her. Kind of sad when you figure that she'd probably disappoint us with what she's up to these days.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I'm watching Dorothy Hamill's Aetna Medicare advantage commercial just now (and is everyone seeing these MC Advantage ads all the time, or is because I'm kind of old?). And while she says something like "this keeps me on the ice, the thing I love," we never her see her actually skate. We see all the young'uns she's coaching skate, but not her. Kind of sad when you figure that she'd probably disappoint us with what she's up to these days.

She's had quite few injuries.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Nicmar said:

I saw a commercial for Xiaflex for peyronies  disease (curvature of the penis). it had a row of different vegetables. It was weird especially when they a butternut squash LOL!

I've seen that commercial many times and only just wondered how the guy who had the little carrot felt when he knew another actor was able to hold up a big old cucumber.

• LOL 8
19 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

The only thing I dread about retiring next year is having to figure out the Medicare insurance thing! I'm staying on my company plan until the last possible minute. But man, do they ever get some geezers to plug those plans. 

We went through Health Markets when the ACA became law. Our agent there has been extremely helpful with finding the best plan for us and we will be using him when it's time to do Medicare. And it really is free.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Just remember you have to sign up at least three months before the birthday month when you turn 65, for Medicare.    Whether you're still working or not. 

Oh, we're a few years away. We will probably meet with our agent in March or so.

12 hours ago, cynicat said:

I've seen that commercial many times and only just wondered how the guy who had the little carrot felt when he knew another actor was able to hold up a big old cucumber.

I actually commented on this one in the favorites thread, just because of the optics. I can justify that a bit because all those guys are actors, not people who actually have that condition. 

On 10/22/2020 at 1:40 PM, peacheslatour said:

We went through Health Markets when the ACA became law. Our agent there has been extremely helpful with finding the best plan for us and we will be using him when it's time to do Medicare. And it really is free.

The free part of Medicare isn’t very helpful if you get a serious illness or need surgery, and it doesn’t cover prescriptions. And if you have a pre-existing condition —like a cancer diagnosis 4 years ago, you have to keep up the additional coverage at about $300/month, because any gap in that coverage means about $750/month. 
Maybe it’s different in other states? I’m in Illinois. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The free part of Medicare isn’t very helpful if you get a serious illness or need surgery, and it doesn’t cover prescriptions. And if you have a pre-existing condition —like a cancer diagnosis 4 years ago, you have to keep up the additional coverage at about $300/month, because any gap in that coverage means about $750/month. 

Health Markets is just a service that researches different plans. It is not affiliated with Medicare.

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Health Markets is just a service that researches different plans. It is not affiliated with Medicare.

If Health Markets offers free insurance that covers "everything" with deductibles that are under $3K/year, and if you don't mind, please do message me!💗

• Love 1
On 10/26/2020 at 3:28 AM, shapeshifter said:

I'm in Georgia. There is no "free" part of Medicare. You pay premiums monthly, either yourself or automatically taken from your Social Security check. I have parts A & B and was never asked about pre-existing conditions. The Medicare I have is run by a Federal agency, CMS, not a private, for-profit insurance company. Part B has a deductible under $200 annually. Part A, when you use a hospital, has (currently) a deductible of $1400. I have a Mutual of Omaha supplemental insurance that pays the 20% of the doctor fees that Medicare doesn't and, as I happily discovered after my gall bladder removal in April, it also pays the Part A $1400 deductible. That's an extra $150 a month for that. I did not get the plan that would also pay the Part B deductible because the increase in the monthly premium turned out to be more than the deductible is.  I also found that with only 3 prescription meds, the premium for Part D would be more than just using GoodRX to get less expensive medicine, so I didn't get Part D.  I am aware that if I ever have a need for Part D, I will have to pay a penalty for all the months I might have had it, but didn't. That's a chance I'm taking.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

There's some Pringles (I think) one with a woman who says this type of Pringles is "not really Pringles," just like the picture her kid is drawing is "not really Daddy." And then she gives him a sarcastic "Oookay" when he says that it is. Am I missing something? Is it "funny"? How does this even make sense? What the fuck is wrong with her? (And even if the kid had drawn a perfect charcoal portrait, that portrait also would not really be Daddy, as it is a piece of paper and Daddy is, presumably, human.)

I thought she was hinting that her husband is not the child's father. Does she resent the child's real father for leaving her or her husband not divorcing her? 🤔

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 1:56 PM, shapeshifter said:

If Health Markets offers free insurance that covers "everything" with deductibles that are under $3K/year, and if you don't mind, please do message me!💗

I don't think Peaches was saying that the insurance is free, just that the research service she uses is.

• Love 1

We've got an ad in Georgia where the guy's looking straight at the camera and talking. I don't know what his message is, because I'm stuck looking at his face. His eyes aren't level and when he smiles, the right side of his face gets those smile wrinkles and an "apple cheek" and his mouth widens. But the left side of his face is immobile. Looks a lot smoother, too. At first, I thought he had had a stroke, but then I decided it was too much botox gone wrong.  People are such idiots when it comes to their appearance.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 2