Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I had no Idea Vera Bradley was a thing. I needed a new purse, and bought one in a discount rack at Macy's. It's plain red, and is like a small back pack. I've had several people say, oh, is that Vera Bradley? And I think, who the hell is Vera Bradley? It was just a purse that suited my needs and wasn't all that expensive.

I have a pair of Vera Wang workout capris from her "Breathe" collection. My secret is that I didn't pay $30 for them. They were secondhand.... $5 at Goodwill. 

• Love 3

I have a set of Vera Bradley tote bags (two different size totes and a matching glasses case) salvaged from my mother-in-law's house when we had to put it on the market. They are not honestly to my taste, but looked well made and useful, which they have proved to be. I'd never actually buy them for myself, but have to admit that I've been glad to have them at times.

• Love 2
(edited)

I guess I'll have to look up Vera Bradley. I haven't a clue. Since I've retired, I do not carry a purse, there are times, I'd like to have a decent tote bag that my nephew hasn't stolen and used for some crap of his. But sometimes when I have to go to the doctor's, carry my Kindle or stop off at the pharmacy, it would be nice to have a tote. I used to pick up nice looking ones at flea markets or thrift stores, but since I have to taxi everywhere, I don't get out like I used to and because I taxi everywhere is why I need one.

I goggled images. I wouldn't carry most of those. I grew up before backpacks were used by kids everywhere and I find them unwieldy. 

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, friendperidot said:

I guess I'll have to look up Vera Bradley. I haven't a clue. Since I've retired, I do not carry a purse, there are times, I'd like to have a decent tote bag that my nephew hasn't stolen and used for some crap of his. But sometimes when I have to go to the doctor's, carry my Kindle or stop off at the pharmacy, it would be nice to have a tote. I used to pick up nice looking ones at flea markets or thrift stores, but since I have to taxi everywhere, I don't get out like I used to and because I taxi everywhere is why I need one.

I goggled images. I wouldn't carry most of those. I grew up before backpacks were used by kids everywhere and I find them unwieldy. 

LL Bean boat totes. They're expensive and worth every penny. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Colleenna said:

LL Bean boat totes. They're expensive and worth every penny. 

I will second that, but also add another possibility -- Red Oxx market totes.  They come in three sizes, are also on the spendy side, but are also worth every penny.  The largest is roughly the size of a paper grocery bag, and the smallest is perfect for 3-4 hardcover library books.

• Love 1

I made a cover for my Kindle out of the bottom portion of a leg of worn-out (in the thunder thighs area) jeans. The hem of the pant leg is the opening into which I slip the kindle. Just ran one seam to close up the other end, added a stripe of rick-rack just because and then found some iron-on letters made of tiny rhinestones, so one side of the cover says, "READ," and the other side says, "KINDLE."  When I take it to a restaurant, I fold the cover into thirds and it props up the Kindle at the perfect angle!  Sometimes I amaze myself.

When I go on my Road Trip (in 6½ weeks) to Maine, I'm not sure I want to carry a purse around sightseeing, so I got one of those drawstring backpacks from the Animal Rescue Site. Blue with dragonflies.  Not very expensive and it'll do the job. (And, Friendperidot, the pattern is something not likely to attract a nephew. Hahahaha.)

• Love 9
16 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I use a messenger bag.

• Love 1
On 7/2/2019 at 6:04 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

I have a set of Vera Bradley tote bags (two different size totes and a matching glasses case) salvaged from my mother-in-law's house when we had to put it on the market. They are not honestly to my taste, but looked well made and useful, which they have proved to be. I'd never actually buy them for myself, but have to admit that I've been glad to have them at times.

Yeah I have an entire set I was gifted what feels years ago and I’m now 40. I never thought that brand to be designer but they do wear like iron for certain uses. I use them all to this day. I’ve always been rather simple in taste so my mom got me a nice navy/white set. 

I guess it isn’t so much making me scratch my head but my brain explodes with concerns are the ones where these nice folk walk your dog. Knox, as mentioned in my name, is my dog and the thought of a stranger coming in much less getting her makes me think all kinds of problems. And she’s a great dog- a mutt with gray hairs at this point.  Man, I guess it’s a service needed but I would be so concerned it would be people who want to make a quick buck than love and make sure your pet is ok. 

Caveat- maybe I’m weird with the ole gal

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, KnoxForPres said:

I guess it isn’t so much making me scratch my head but my brain explodes with concerns are the ones where these nice folk walk your dog. Knox, as mentioned in my name, is my dog and the thought of a stranger coming in much less getting her makes me think all kinds of problems. And she’s a great dog- a mutt with gray hairs at this point.  Man, I guess it’s a service needed but I would be so concerned it would be people who want to make a quick buck than love and make sure your pet is ok. 

Caveat- maybe I’m weird with the ole gal

When I broke my wrist a few years back I used a dogwalking service for a couple of weeks because I couldn't walk my 70 pound dog (and I live on the third floor). I did have the advantage of being at home when the dogwalker came -it may actually have been a bit of a disadvantage because my dog, a rescue, didn't want to go without me. He didn't like the dogwalker, but the guy was very patient and kind with him.

My neighbor has used Wag for dogwalking for his little dogs when he's out of town, and he's happy with them. Another neighbor actually works as a dogwalker and has dogs of her own that she is devoted to. 

So of course you would need to do your due diligence when hiring, but I think there are reliable dogwalking services out there with people who would treat your dog with respect and affection.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 4
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

When I broke my wrist a few years back I used a dogwalking service for a couple of weeks because I couldn't walk my 70 pound dog (and I live on the third floor). I did have the advantage of being at home when the dogwalker came -it may actually have been a bit of a disadvantage because my dog, a rescue, didn't want to go without me. He didn't like the dogwalker, but the guy was very patient and kind with him.

My neighbor has used Wag for dogwalking for his little dogs when he's out of town, and he's happy with them. Another neighbor actually works as a dogwalker and has dogs of her own that she is devoted to. 

So of course you would need to do your due diligence when hiring, but I think there are reliable dogwalking services out there with people who would treat your dog with respect and affection.

This is wonderful to hear!  

Even though I’m only a passenger on Uber I read a message board for their drivers and the majority are so hateful and  mean- which to be fair I’ve not experienced in hundreds of rides.  Maybe they’re just venting.  It’s not the same but it’s the quick-need work variety and I can’t bring myself to read about dog walking  (hope I’d read only good like this).  

I’m sincerely glad to hear this. 

Edited by KnoxForPres
1 hour ago, KnoxForPres said:

It isn't a service I'd use other than out of complete necessity.  However, my sister had to hire a dogwalker, which they got from a service they found on Yelp, and she overheard the guy talking cute to the dog and she even saw him giving her a kiss.  So she was pretty pleased with the guy they got.  To be honest, my dog seems scary (he actually isn't) and can probably take care of himself, so I'm more worried about giving a stranger a key to my house.

• Love 1

Janie Jones is your dog pit bull scary? Mine is a 60 lb ball of anxiety. He may be scary to some people, but so far, he's loved everyone but my great-nephew because he doesn't like to be yelled at and my nephew yells. He's the kind of person who thinks dogs have to be intimidated, and I think that redirection is a good way to change behavior. Ok, maybe my post would be better on Pit Bulls and Parolees or Cesar Milan groups. But I doubt that anyone could walk my dog. I can't, he's half my body weight, much younger and much stronger. We need a trainer.

On 7/2/2019 at 8:37 PM, Browncoat said:

I will second that, but also add another possibility -- Red Oxx market totes.  They come in three sizes, are also on the spendy side, but are also worth every penny.  The largest is roughly the size of a paper grocery bag, and the smallest is perfect for 3-4 hardcover library books.

I agree about Red Oxx. I have a messenger bag from them. A little pricey, but good quality.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 3:43 PM, OpalNightstream said:

So the mom in the Alexa commercial with the the daughter practicing soccer at 4:40 am gets woken up by the sound of the girl kicking the ball around in the backyard. Instead of thinking “hey maybe she’s also waking up the neighbors because if I can hear it they probably can too” she proceeds to turn on the backyard lights and give the daughter a nod to continue. Maybe it’s from guilt bc she missed her daughters game because she was instead sitting on the couch listening to an audio book.  

I hate this commercial but notice so many weird things about it. Sorry if it's been discussed before. Why does she do nothing when her daughter storms in and to her room? Why does she put her Alex on pause if she's not going to do anything? Why are the mother AND Alexa whispering in the middle of the night? Why is the daughter kicking the ball against the house in the middle of the night in the dark? Why did the mother turn on the backyard lights instead of having a mother-daughter heart-to-heart talk?

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:
On 7/3/2019 at 1:43 PM, OpalNightstream said:

So the mom in the Alexa commercial with the the daughter practicing soccer at 4:40 am gets woken up by the sound of the girl kicking the ball around in the backyard. Instead of thinking “hey maybe she’s also waking up the neighbors because if I can hear it they probably can too” she proceeds to turn on the backyard lights and give the daughter a nod to continue. Maybe it’s from guilt bc she missed her daughters game because she was instead sitting on the couch listening to an audio book.  

I hate this commercial but notice so many weird things about it. Sorry if it's been discussed before. Why does she do nothing when her daughter storms in and to her room? Why does she put her Alex on pause if she's not going to do anything? Why are the mother AND Alexa whispering in the middle of the night? Why is the daughter kicking the ball against the house in the middle of the night in the dark? Why did the mother turn on the backyard lights instead of having a mother-daughter heart-to-heart talk?

I now want to know why neither the mom nor the dad were at the game.

But I've made up a story that the mom got up, made coffee, waited for the daughter to finish.  Now that the girl had worked through some of her frustrations, she is ready to talk. Mom explains that she allowed her to practice that early for that morning but being respectful of the neighbors another time needs to be set.  Mom also says she or the dad will be at the games. Then, they have a good mother/daughter talk.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

Why can't the damn mom pause her own book, look at the clock herself or turn her light on herself??? 

I couldn't imagine asking a piece of technology to do those things. 

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Rescue Mama said:

I couldn't imagine asking a piece of technology to do those things.

Not only couldn't I imagine doing that, I never will.  I don't want a 24/7 audio recorder in my house.

• Love 19
10 hours ago, Rescue Mama said:

Why can't the damn mom pause her own book, look at the clock herself or turn her light on herself??? 

The woman can't even read a book herself, you expect her to pause it? 

I get audiobooks when you're driving, or to put you to sleep, or when you're cooking, but when you're sitting on a couch why not just read? 

• LOL 5
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

I get audiobooks when you're driving, or to put you to sleep, or when you're cooking, but when you're sitting on a couch why not just read? 

Maybe she needs her hands free for her cocktail and snacks.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Visual impairment. 

Maybe she doesn't see her daughter kicking the ball against the wall and that's why she doesn't do anything.

• LOL 3
16 hours ago, janie jones said:

Visual impairment. 

Maybe she doesn't see her daughter kicking the ball against the wall and that's why she doesn't do anything.

That would explain why she has no problem switching on a giant flood light that probably annoyed all the neighbors. Maybe her daughter has it too and that's why she didn't just turn the light on herself. Or was she supposed to be just too mad to realize that she could used a light outside in the dark. 

• LOL 3
(edited)

We live next to an older woman who has a swimming pool, with a stereo system. From April to September  her friends and family treat it as a vacation home, blasting music and being a nuisance. Last weekend there must have been a hundred people at her house. We've talked to her and guests to no avail. 

Edited by chessiegal

I just saw a commercial for a brand of laceless slip-on shoes called Hickies. Can't you just hear the conversations in school? "Tiffany, I love your Hickies! Are they new? Did Jimmy give them to you?"

• LOL 13
  • Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:49 PM, mmecorday said:

I just saw a commercial for a brand of laceless slip-on shoes called Hickies.

I was wondering how easy it would be to tighten/loosen up the 'laces' (ie, for swollen feet or thicker socks), and I looked at their website. It's complicated enough to require videos and diagrams (!), so now I really don't get the point of this product. Also, they cost about 5x the price of fiber shoe laces (more if you want bling-$36 for hickies with Swarovski 'diamonds'!).

• Love 1
(edited)
22 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I was wondering how easy it would be to tighten/loosen up the 'laces' (ie, for swollen feet or thicker socks), and I looked at their website. It's complicated enough to require videos and diagrams (!), so now I really don't get the point of this product. Also, they cost about 5x the price of fiber shoe laces (more if you want bling-$36 for hickies with Swarovski 'diamonds'!).

I use Lock Laces.  My feet swell, and they give a little bit so I don't have to worry about my shoes being tied too tightly.  They were designed by someone who did triathlons, to enable them to get their shoes off and on easier.  The first time you do a pair, they're a little complicated and the video on the company website helps, but I only needed to watch it once.  I saw the Hickies, and I didn't care for the look, or how hard they were to adjust.  I only have to squeeze the plastic piece on the Lock Laces to slide the adjuster up or down, and then adjust like normal shoe laces.  They are more expensive than regular laces, but they often run really good sales on multi-packs, so I'll order a number of packs in neutral colors and then just stick them in a drawer until needed.

9e50cf64-fbc4-43a4-b9ad-648d7e6a3bfb.jpg

Edited by funky-rat
Continuity
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Guys, I'm wondering if Flo and the other Progressive cast of characters are being phased out. I saw a couple commercials for Progressive last night featuring a man acting like a baby with the tagline "Act your age!"

1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

Guys, I'm wondering if Flo and the other Progressive cast of characters are being phased out. I saw a couple commercials for Progressive last night featuring a man acting like a baby with the tagline "Act your age!"

No, they've always tried to have a diverse rotation of commercials -- stuff with Flo/others and ones without them. They've been doing it that way for years.

• Love 1
On 7/11/2019 at 11:28 AM, mmecorday said:

I've seen a couple of those new commercials and they made me appreciate Flo and Co. which may be the point of them. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
(edited)
49 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Why do the women in the Inogen oxygen commercial act like they're being forced at gunpoint to talk about their portable oxygen tanks?

That one guy in the Revitive ad, too...you know, the "Quality of Life" guy that sounds like he's about to cry...

Then there's a Lipozene (?) (The Holly R. Peete one) where they say you can lose 4x more!!  More than what?

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 3
On 7/13/2019 at 1:47 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Then there's a Lipozene (?) (The Holly R. Peete one) where they say you can lose 4x more!!  More than what?

Doing nothing, perhaps?  Although, 4 x nothing, is....nothing.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:47 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

The totally faulty logic here is: you can lose X pounds on a bottle of Lipozene. Therefore, you can lose 4 times X pounds if you consume 4 bottles of Lipozene. 

I've never been at all overweight, so I acknowledge that I may not be able to 'feel' these ads, but doesn't it ever occur to the folks who fall for these scams that IF Lipozene really worked, there wouldn't be any fat people?

• Love 5

The problem is that maaaayybe it works, but you do also still have to change your diet and exercise. Can't burn off calories if you expend none at all.

• Love 4
(edited)
52 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

The totally faulty logic here is: you can lose X pounds on a bottle of Lipozene. Therefore, you can lose 4 times X pounds if you consume 4 bottles of Lipozene. 

I've never been at all overweight, so I acknowledge that I may not be able to 'feel' these ads, but doesn't it ever occur to the folks who fall for these scams that IF Lipozene really worked, there wouldn't be any fat people?

I'm overweight - by quite a bit.  I've lost 100 pounds in the past few years (comes off sloooow due to health issues), but still have a ways to go.  I'm not interested in weight loss surgery.  I do pay attention to these ads, mainly to laugh at them.  From my perspective, they're not worth my time.  They're designed for people who have relatively little weight to lose in the grand scheme of things (I've never seen Holly Robinson Peete very overweight - maybe 15 or so pounds).  For those with 50+ pounds to lose, they're better off meeting with a dietician, and learning lifestyle changes.  That's the only thing that's worked for me long-term.

Any time I hear "I dropped 3 pant sizes in 40 days!" or similar, I don't bother listening.  Again, when you're a smaller size and just a few pounds overweight, that's possible, as there's less give between sizes.  I lost 100 pounds and only dropped 2 sizes because when you get in the bigger sizes, there's much more give between the size.

It's all relative.  Most larger people know to just keep scrolling with this stuff, but some who just want the weight off and don't want to work at it or wait for healthy weight loss to happen will try anything.  

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 7

State Farm has a very inane commercial for their auto insurance, in which a woman demands "Don't mess with my discount!!". Including one where her son in a car seat has to go to the bathroom. (Yeah, I know that gag is overused.) Of course, she will risk a urinary tract infection for her son so she can keep her lousy discount.

"Yes, dear. You were born in the car on the way to the hospital, because NOBODY messes with my DISCOUNT!"

• Love 9
49 minutes ago, jenniferhartwell said:

State Farm has a very inane commercial for their auto insurance, in which a woman demands "Don't mess with my discount!!". Including one where her son in a car seat has to go to the bathroom. (Yeah, I know that gag is overused.) Of course, she will risk a urinary tract infection for her son so she can keep her lousy discount.

"Yes, dear. You were born in the car on the way to the hospital, because NOBODY messes with my DISCOUNT!"

That woman is a loon.  I don't know why the co-workers, husband and kid haven't banded together a removed themselves from her toxic insanity. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 4

Those annoying QuickBooks commercials with Danny DeVito (that the Canadian History channel loves to shove down our throats for some reason). 

Yeah, great way to hawk your product, some aging, washed up actor, with an irritating voice. That ought to knock them dead.

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, Maverick said:

That woman is a loon.  I don't know why the co-workers, husband and kid haven't banded together a removed themselves from her toxic insanity. 

IKR?!  To get that worked up and stressed over a G.D. car insurance discount?!  That woman has waaaay too much free time on her hands to be constantly thinking about this and over how many years has this been going on?!

Seriously I get it's suppose to be funny but honestly she just comes across as someone with zero life or purpose.  Car insurance discounts should not control your actions.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

How often do you really need a coffee table with a refrigerator in it?

Right now? Especially if it has an ice maker in it. I wouldn't need to leave the couch to make my G&T. ;-]

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

Not the commercial itself that made me scratch my head, but the placement.  Watching Whose Line last night, within the same break there were commercials for the pill that helps prevent HIV/AIDS (or something like that) and a publishing service for Christian authors.  I'd like to see the Venn diagram of Whose Line audience and the target audiences of those two ads.

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Not the commercial itself that made me scratch my head, but the placement.  Watching Whose Line last night, within the same break there were commercials for the pill that helps prevent HIV/AIDS (or something like that) and a publishing service for Christian authors.  I'd like to see the Venn diagram of Whose Line audience and the target audiences of those two ads.

Probably closer than you think. Lotta closet cases out there.

• Love 4
(edited)
19 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

the pill that helps prevent HIV/AIDS (or something like that)

Hmm, how about using condoms?  They are effective and cheap.  This commercial strikes me as extremely irresponsible; like "Well, I can engage in plenty of unsafe sex if I take this pill."

Edited by Brattinella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Hmm, how about using condoms?  They are effective and cheap.  This commercial strikes me as extremely irresponsible; like "Well, I can engage in plenty of unsafe sex if I take this pill."

IKR?!  Plus the side effects on a pill you have to take FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE (!!) are kinda scary.  If I'm not mistaken kidney or liver damage is one of them....

And it doesn't prevent you from getting HIV it reduces the virus to the point where it is undetectable.  HOWEVER if you stop taking the pills not only will the virus start to multiply again your body may become resistant to the drug. 

Just create a damn vaccination to cure the disease greedy ass pharmceutical companies!

• Love 5