Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

(edited)
50 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I thought my sainted brother was the only one who did that!

I also liked sugar sandwiches, sugar and margarine on white bread.  And toasted rye peanut butter sandwiches- put peanut butter on rye bread, then put in the toaster (when no one's looking).  

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I also like sugar sandwiches, sugar and margarine on white bread.  And toasted rye peanut butter sandwiches- put peanut butter on rye bread, then put in the toaster (when no one's looking).  

Toaster or toaster oven?

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Toaster. Open faced sandwich. That's why no one could be looking. Actually they are pretty darn good sandwiches.

Why don't you just toast the bread and then put the peanut butter on after? Also doesn't that seriously wreck your toaster?

• LOL 3
12 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Why don't you just toast the bread and then put the peanut butter on after?

Hot peanut butter! I was a kid, what did I know?  (It never did anything to the toaster and nobody ever noticed, so apparently it wasn't that big of an issue.) Obviously I don't it this now, or eat mayonnaise, or sugar sandwiches.

• Love 3

No, you must put the peanut butter on the bread and then put it in the toaster! Delicious, especially if you sprinkle just a little white sugar on it, kind of like a peanut butter cookie fresh out of the oven. Yes, it messes up the toaster, but now they have trays at the bottom you can slide out and clean all the dripped peanut butter off so you don't set the toaster on fire. Don't ask how I know this can happen. Actually, I think it was a Pop Tart. But it's bad, but it's delish!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

Yes, it messes up the toaster, but now they have trays at the bottom you can slide out and clean all the dripped peanut butter off so you don't set the toaster on fire.

I put a thin enough coating of peanut butter and watched the timing, so there wasn't a lot of dripping.  I may have been a kid, but I was sneaky.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
(edited)

Whole wheat toast, lightly drizzle some honey, grind a little sea salt over the top (chunky, not fine! not too much!), spread on peanut butter and top with a slice or two of crispy bacon.

This is surprisingly delicious with cold white wine. I mean, I loved that as a kid LOL. 

Topic: when is the last time you saw a tv commercial for peanut butter? Have nut allergies killed them?

Edited by Ashforth
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Ashforth said:

Whole wheat toast, lightly drizzle some honey, grind a little sea salt over the top (chunky, not fine! not too much!), spread on peanut butter and top with a slice or two of crispy bacon.

This is surprisingly delicious with cold white wine. I mean, I loved that as a kid LOL. 

Topic: when is the last time you saw a tv commercial for peanut butter? Have nut allergies killed them?

We get commercials for Jif and Skippy.  I guess living in a small, rural-ish town is not PC.

6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I sure hope that Kevin thing is the first of a series that explains it or hope that it goes away completely. Nothing says "Buy our jeans" like a broken hamster wheel & a dead hamster.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with staying active?  Either way, shitty ad.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Did you just come out of Johnny Dangerously? 😉

LOL. I was listening to a podcast recently about Michael Keaton movies. This one didn't come up but should have. It's one of my favorites. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On ‎07‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 12:01 PM, Browncoat said:

Shrimp is delicious on a pizza!  So is lobster, and smoked salmon.  Not on the same pizza, though.

I hate seafood, so none of those things are ever delicious on my pizza.

On ‎07‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 3:40 PM, Brattinella said:

Tuna Melts are wonderful!

I do like tuna melts, though.  Tuna is the only fish I will ever eat, but funnily enough only if someone else mixes it.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I haven't bought their jeans since they stopped making them here, 2004, I think.

I've never bought them because they don't make them in sizes large enough.  Or the stores near me which carry Levi's don't stock them large enough.  One or the other.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I do like tuna melts, though.  Tuna is the only fish I will ever eat, but funnily enough only if someone else mixes it.

Yeah, I don't like the smell of the tuna mixing with the mayo.  Blergh.

• Love 2
On 7/30/2019 at 7:16 PM, janie jones said:

I've seen things where people turn toasters on their side so that whatever's on the bread that "shouldn't" be on there doesn't dribble.

You could just get a toaster oven.  I've had one so long that I've been confused by the entire discussion.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Do you really need to throw two All oxi packs into your wash?

The thing with the using two is, if they are telling me I have to use two of their pods my first thought is, "these pods must not be very good" and I make a note not to buy them because they suck. 

• Love 10

Pods may be more convenient but I'd rather be able to fill a little cup with how much I think I need.  Commercials for dryer sheets say the same - throw in an extra one for extra... something, maybe wrinkle control.  Shoot, I cut dryer sheets in half as it is.  I'm not going to double up.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Just saw a commercial which I think is new. A guy is in the shower, I think it is Spanish singing. Then he reaches for a can of Coors Light to drink in the shower! The ad says "Coors, the best beer to drink in the shower" or something like that. WTF?? Who drinks beer In the shower?? Alcoholic much???

I've seen several weird confusing ads for Coors Light lately.

• Love 2

Tide Pods don't work in my machine.  They break open, but the packet doesn't dissolve, and leaves hunks of slimy goo all over my clothes.

I do like the Persil pods.  They are what used to be Wisk.  They work OK in my machine - I have an upright with an agitator.  When our old hand-me-down machines kicked the bucket a number of years ago and we make the plunge to get new ones, we couldn't afford front loaders.  I've had a number of people tell me if they had it to do all over, they wouldn't get a front loader.  

Edited by funky-rat
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 9:20 AM, funky-rat said:

I've had a number of people tell me if they had it to do all over, they wouldn't get a front loader.  

Apparently there can be an odor problem from residue in the door.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

Yeah, you have to leave the door open so it doesn't get mildewed.

I leave the top up on my upright machine for the same reason.  You can buy tablets to run through an empty wash that helps with mustiness.  I've used them a few times and they do work.  My laundry is in a closet now, and while the doors are ventilated, it does smell musty sometimes.

21 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

We have a top load washer.  My husband does the wash and always leaves the lid off after doing wash.

When we lived in our old house, we kept it closed, because the basement was extremely damp, and the inside would rust, and smell really bad.  When we moved, I had to break my husband of the habit.

On 8/3/2019 at 5:34 AM, Haleth said:

Pods may be more convenient but I'd rather be able to fill a little cup with how much I think I need.  Commercials for dryer sheets say the same - throw in an extra one for extra... something, maybe wrinkle control.  Shoot, I cut dryer sheets in half as it is.  I'm not going to double up.

At least in our supermarket, powder detergent is almost nonexistent.  All they sell are pods, liquid, and two limited brands of powder.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I leave the top up on my upright machine for the same reason.  You can buy tablets to run through an empty wash that helps with mustiness.  I've used them a few times and they do work.  My laundry is in a closet now, and while the doors are ventilated, it does smell musty sometimes.

Or you can just run an load of nothing but water + 1cup of plain white vinegar. Way cheaper. 

• Love 2

Commercial comes on TV while I’m on my iPad:

”At our house, things get messy fast.  Especially in the litter room.”

Me:  “Wha?  Who has a ‘litter room’?”

A family of anthropomorphic cats, that’s who.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

We have a litter room. It's the half-bath in my condo - two litterboxes fit nicely in there. Nobody else is around to use the "guest bath," so it's perfect for them. Stella & Bosco seem to like having their own room. The only problem is Stella thinks, "This is my box; that one is Bosco's," and Bosco thinks, "This is the box we poop in; that's the box we pee in!" so I have an overly-saturated litterbox and a nearly empty second box.

For a number of months, we've been getting ads for Beaver Toyota of Cumming, GA - "Hi, I'm Linda Beaver; we're here to WOW ya!" and now those ads have stopped and we're back to the Toyota Jan ads. I never missed Jan while Linda was on, WOWing me. Now that Jan's back, I realized I hadn't seen her all the while Linda was running her ads.  Either way, I'd rather watch paint dry.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, smittykins said:

Commercial comes on TV while I’m on my iPad:

”At our house, things get messy fast.  Especially in the litter room.”

Me:  “Wha?  Who has a ‘litter room’?”

A family of anthropomorphic cats, that’s who.

I guess we should consider ourselves lucky they weren't using the horrifying cats from the movie!

5d3100713b00003700dacd3e.png

• LOL 5
  • Love 2