Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

28 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Hmm, how about using condoms?  They are effective and cheap.  This commercial strikes me as extremely irresponsible; like "Well, I can engage in plenty of unsafe sex if I take this pill."

17 minutes ago, Dirtybubble said:

IKR?!  Plus the side effects on a pill you have to take FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE (!!) are kinda scary.  If I'm not mistaken kidney or liver damage is one of them....

And it doesn't prevent you from getting HIV it reduces the virus to the point where it is undetectable.  HOWEVER if you stop taking the pills not only will the virus start to multiply again your body may become resistant to the drug. 

Just create a damn vaccination to cure the disease greedy ass pharmceutical companies!

Whoops didn't mean to start something!  Just commenting on the juxtaposition of the commercials and their possible intended audiences 😞

Although I guess the individual ads deserve scrutiny on their own.

• Love 4

Funky rat, congratulations! I understand, I'm 4'11" and I've lost 35 over 3 years, still need to lose another 10-15, but it's tough and I don't know about you, but I didn't put the extra weight on in a few months or weeks, it took years for it to sneak up on me. Losing it the old fashioned way, slowly, exercise and moderation of diet is really the only way. I've never tried any of the diet pills of any sort. And I've only lost 2 pants sizes, so just how did Rodney Peete lose 4 pants sizes with 30 lbs? Did he carry it all in his behind? I've never seen Holly Robinson Peete looking at all like she needs to lose any weight, but she's an actress and the rumor is they have to be too thin, it's the only acceptable look. I am happy there are a couple of actresses out there bucking that trend. People should look and be healthy.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, chessiegal said:

The first time I saw the Lipozene commercial I thought the guy was the father and woman the daughter. Never heard of either of them.

I'm not sure if he's working anywhere now, but he was an NFL quarterback for quite a long time and then a broadcaster.  She's an actor.  She's two years older than him.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'm not sure if he's working anywhere now, but he was an NFL quarterback for quite a long time and then a broadcaster.  She's an actor.  She's two years older than him.

I know that now, but the first time I saw it I had no idea.

I'm a not so closeted fan of 21 Jump Street, I'm old enough to be Holly Robinson Peete and I guess Rodney Peete's mother, but I have a big crush on her and the entire cast of 21 Jump Street, especially Peter de Luise. 

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

've never seen Holly Robinson Peete looking at all like she needs to lose any weight, but she's an actress and the rumor is they have to be too thin, it's the only acceptable look.

Depends on the part. Romantic leads, yes; comedic roles, no.

There's a commercial for T-Mobile featuring kids playing T-ball, and the announcer says the parents can document the "highlights and the lowlights."  When he says "highlight," they show a kid's bat accidentally fly out of his hands as he fails to hit the ball off the tee, and for "lowlight," they show a kid go into a headfirst slide for no apparent reason and end up way short of third base.  But why is the kid losing his bat a highlight (especially when I think they showed a successful hit at one point)?  The sliding kid must have at least hit the ball, because he was running the bases.  I just find it weird.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 12:18 PM, janie jones said:

That's not the point, though.  Plenty of people are just going to buy 30 pairs of shoes regardless, so they will be saving money. 

I mean, if I have a coupon for $0.50 off tampons, can I not say I saved 50 cents since I still spent 6.49?  What about the fact that I would have otherwise paid 6.99?

Imagine how much that young man on that couponing show saved on tampons!

Why am I seeing commercials with Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) preferring to ride a jeep than their tour bus to a concert?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

they show a kid's bat accidentally fly out of his hands as he fails to hit the ball off the tee,

Maybe the bat hit some guy in the crotch, that was always the "highlight" on "America's Funniest Videos"...

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 7/11/2019 at 11:28 AM, mmecorday said:

Guys, I'm wondering if Flo and the other Progressive cast of characters are being phased out. I saw a couple commercials for Progressive last night featuring a man acting like a baby with the tagline "Act your age!"

Oh, PLEASE PLEASE let her and the others (but especially her) be PHASED OUT! I'm sick of diving for the remote and clicking to other website when her face intrudes uninvited on my screens! 

• Love 1

This morning I saw commercial where a family is hot and making their way across the hot sand at the beach. The dad, especially, is hot and sweaty. He's the one pulling the cooler and carrying the beach chairs. And then he turns around and sees an Audi. He yells, "Change of plans!" They drop their beach stuff and run back toward the boardwalk. 

So does that mean they're going to buy a new Audi instead of going to the beach? Why are these things mutually exclusive Can't they go to the car dealership later that day or the next day? And why are the kids so excited about car shopping? And what happens to the stuff they're leaving on the beach? 

I know I'm overthinking this, but it's been extremely hot and humid on the East Coast. I would love to spend a leisurely day at the beach, Audi or no Audi. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
On 7/11/2019 at 1:28 PM, kariyaki said:

No, they've always tried to have a diverse rotation of commercials -- stuff with Flo/others and ones without them. They've been doing it that way for years.

Including the irritating Progressive box.

• Love 4
On ‎06‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:46 PM, Nordly Beaumont said:

I got so curious about the Arby's commercials - why do they say "Arby's, we have the meats!" pause "for sandwiches!" It's so weird. What else would the "meats" be for? So I googled it and found it's (supposedly) a way to let younger people know that they have more than just roast beef because apparently roast beef is for old people? I guess? Anyway, how does adding "for sandwiches" tell people they have more than just roast beef? Why do they have a personality-free gray haired man as the spokesperson if they want to bring in younger customers? Why not get some teenagers? I just don't get it.

I tend to shout "but aren't roast beef sandwiches still sandwiches?" at the tv.

On ‎06‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 2:52 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

But these are NOT machines instead of tellers. The tellers are still there, just not in a row. I still chat with them & tell them that all those $2 bills I ask for will be used as tips for the tour guides, boat captains, and hotel maids on my Road Trip. I've gotten some good advice about things to see from the tellers.

Apparently in some banks, they are replacing actual tellers, though.

• Love 3
(edited)
On ‎07‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 3:29 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

How often do you really need a coffee table with a refrigerator in it?

I'd use it.  And then weigh 1,000 lbs because I'd never have to walk to the refrigerator.

Edited by proserpina65
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2
On ‎07‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:55 PM, Dirtybubble said:

IKR?!  Plus the side effects on a pill you have to take FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE (!!) are kinda scary.  If I'm not mistaken kidney or liver damage is one of them....

And it doesn't prevent you from getting HIV it reduces the virus to the point where it is undetectable.  HOWEVER if you stop taking the pills not only will the virus start to multiply again your body may become resistant to the drug. 

Just create a damn vaccination to cure the disease greedy ass pharmceutical companies!

There are two different pills: Truvada for pre-exposure, to help prevent you from getting HIV and another drug which reduces the viral load to undetectability once you have HIV.  The idea is to use Truvada in addition to safe sex practices to keep the spread of HIV down even more, which is good, but the way they keep repeating "Truvada for PrEp" drives me crazy every time I see that commercial.

The commercial for the other drug makes me wonder: if all you're doing is reducing the viral load to undetectability, doesn't that increase the chance of giving HIV to someone else without knowing?

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
On ‎07‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 4:35 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

I'd have said especially Jamie. Have you seen the one where he disrupts a drivers ed class?

I like that one.  Of course, I like most of the Jamie commercials, and a lot of the Flo ones, too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

The idea is to use Truvada in addition to safe sex practices to keep the spread of HIV down even more, which is good, but the way they keep repeating "Truvada for PrEp" drives me crazy every time I see that commercial.

It's the guy whose hair looks like the top of a pineapple that drives me the most crazy in the Truvada commercial.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)
14 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

Did I just hear a Taco Bell commercial announcing nachos with a reefer ranch sauce?

13 hours ago, scarletine said:

Reaper Ranch Sauce. As in Carolina Reaper peppers. 

I'll take the reefer sauce please.

Edited by Brookside
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1

The LiMu Emu ad where the bird is looking in the window and bobbing around, the lady is a lot more polite than I would be. She says, "what's up with your partner?" I would say, "wtf is that bird doing? And why is it wearing a tee shirt?"

• LOL 12
14 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I swear, the VO on the Olive Garden Buy One, Take One is pirate mom. What say you?

How can you tell?  Does she pronounce it Olive Gaaarrrden?

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

There's some Domino's 50% deal this weekend and in the ad the voiceover says something about  whatever toppings you want, implying even weird combos are fine.

It totally sounds like the VO says "barbecue, banana, pepper pizza". I did a mental double-take and realized they meant "barbecue - banana pepper pizza" ie pizza with barbecue sauce and banana peppers, but the intonation implies the weird combination they were suggesting people might want is barbecue sauce, bananas and peppers and I was having a hard time for half a beat considering if bananas on pizza were a thing.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

OMG, I can hear her saying just that. Whoa.

I STILL haven't heard this commercial.  That isn't unusual, I can watch TV for hours with the sound off and the CC on; normal mode for me.  Do they show it on ID or MeTV?

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I STILL haven't heard this commercial.  That isn't unusual, I can watch TV for hours with the sound off and the CC on; normal mode for me.  Do they show it on ID or MeTV?

I watch both of those but I also watch a hellavalotta Law and Order SVU. Isn't it funny how when you want to see some ubiquitous ad suddenly you never do. Maybe we should all start actively looking for that stupid Emu and Flo.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm so confused by the Ancestry DNA commercials with the Irish couple trying to decide whether to emigrate during the potato famine. the video ends abruptly and then the announcer says "Without you, the story stops here" except... the story clearly didn't stop there, whether they left Ireland or not is in no way connected with you shelling out 100 buck for a test that may or may not be accurate. 

Plus, DNA will tell you what percentage Irish you are. It's not going to tell you how your great-great-great-great-grandfather felt about his parents' graves (or heck, even if they migrated during the famine).

Edited by satrunrose
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

You have to shell out more $$$$ to get any family tree type information.

You only get that if you have a DNA match with someone who has a tree on Ancestry and then you may see the ancestor you have in common with with some information.  No one has done your family tree with family stories, ready-made to hand to you.  The DNA match will will tell you that you have a match with someone who would be a 4th - 6th cousin, for example and if that person has a public tree, it will tell you whether your common ancestry is on their tree and if they are you can see what information they have on that person.

For me, I already have more information than my DNA matches have.  I suspect some (or many) of them got their information from my tree.

It is however fascinating information that is refined and constantly updated.  If you have done genealogical research already, it confirms things you may know and can point you in different directions.

Edited by Suzn
  • Love 1

I'm not quite sure why I think this, but to me the woman in the purple scrubs in the Cosentyx commercial looks like she'd be a real bitch. Not on the level as the mean-eyed "Watch me!" woman in dance class featured in the previous commercial, but I wouldn't want to get on her bad side.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I'm not quite sure why I think this, but to me the woman in the purple scrubs in the Cosentyx commercial looks like she'd be a real bitch. Not on the level as the mean-eyed "Watch me!" woman in dance class featured in the previous commercial, but I wouldn't want to get on her bad side.

Most of the people in those commercials look (to me) like they could cut someone if they needed to.  Even the woman who wants us to watch her make cheese sandwiches.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 7/17/2019 at 4:35 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

I'd have said especially Jamie. Have you seen the one where he disrupts a drivers ed class?

There's a new one where he's showing vacation photos to his coworkers.  Like most of their commercials it's funny the first time.  After the 10,000,000th time it won't be as funny.

• Love 4