Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

I know I've complained about them before, but the Daisy sour cream commercials are still coming at me, and they're still just as baffling.

I get it - it must be hard to be clever and memorable when your job entails marketing sour cream. But are people surrounded by all sorts of delicious foods going to lose their minds the minute the sour cream gets passed around? And not just adults - one commercial shows a little boy around eight looking equally delighted. In my experience most kids aren't thrilled about sour cream.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My mom used to do that with cottage cheese. "Jeez mom , oh gross!"

How else would you eat cottage cheese?  (Serious question.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

I know I've complained about them before, but the Daisy sour cream commercials are still coming at me, and they're still just as baffling.

I get it - it must be hard to be clever and memorable when your job entails marketing sour cream. But are people surrounded by all sorts of delicious foods going to lose their minds the minute the sour cream gets passed around? And not just adults - one commercial shows a little boy around eight looking equally delighted. In my experience most kids aren't thrilled about sour cream.

and he sits there singing the jingle

he must really love it

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My mom used to do that with cottage cheese. "Jeez mom , oh gross!"

Harumph! My Dad used to put it on buttered bread with jam or jelly.

46 minutes ago, cinsays said:

and he sits there singing the jingle

he must really love it

Is that the kid who stabs his potato with his fork and eats it like a popsicle? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I actually find that kind of cute, but totally unrealistic.

oh, yeah, adorable kid, but who would do that and i think maybe his father was singing it too, even stranger

and, yeah, Gharlane, that's the kid

• Love 1

The Hyundai Santa Fe ad makes me giggle like a 12 year old every time I hear it.  I usually multitask during commercials and so it's often on in the background.  Imagine my surprise the first time I heard this without watching.  I was thinking, "what the hell are they trying to sell?"  Close your eyes for full effect.

Hyundai Santa Fe commercial

Apologies, I couldn't find it on YT, only iSpot.

• LOL 3
13 hours ago, Popples said:

This is just super weird.

DAMMIT CHARLIE!

3 hours ago, cynicat said:

The Hyundai Santa Fe ad makes me giggle like a 12 year old every time I hear it.  I usually multitask during commercials and so it's often on in the background.  Imagine my surprise the first time I heard this without watching.  I was thinking, "what the hell are they trying to sell?"  Close your eyes for full effect.

Heh heh heh... 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, cynicat said:

image.png.f968b4a86081d06c428ff366ea45cdea.png

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

It's been around a while but the Philly cream cheese commercial with woman whose living room turns all white furry?  That look she gives her cat at the end is really creepy.

20 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

All that info but what the hell is it made out of? 

I was also curious. The one that looks like fruit loops is made of this:

Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 6.32.21 PM.png

a lot of things that require further "pop up" info

Edited by dleighg
  • Useful 3

Ethanol
Propyl acetate
2-Methylpropyl acetate
Propanol
n-Butyl acetate
2-Methylpropanol
2-Methylbutyl acetate
n-Butyl propanoate
n-Butanol
n-Pentyl acetate
2-Methylbut-3-enyl acetate
2-Methylbutanol
3-Methylbut-3-enyl acetate
3-Methylbut-3-enol
3-Methylbut-2-enyl acetate
n-Pentanol
n-Hexyl acetate
E-Hex-3-enyl acetate
Z-Hex-3-enyl acetate
Hex-4-enyl acetate
E-Hex-2-enyl acetate
n-Hexanol
Z-Hex-3-enol
E-Hex-2-enol
n-Hexyl-2-methylbutanoate
n-Heptanol
Camphor
n-Octanol
n-Oct-2-enol
1 -Methoxy-4-(2-propenyl)-benzene

I found this to be rather disturbing, this is a list of chemicals in an apple.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Ethanol
Propyl acetate
2-Methylpropyl acetate
Propanol
n-Butyl acetate
2-Methylpropanol
2-Methylbutyl acetate
n-Butyl propanoate
n-Butanol
n-Pentyl acetate
2-Methylbut-3-enyl acetate
2-Methylbutanol
3-Methylbut-3-enyl acetate
3-Methylbut-3-enol
3-Methylbut-2-enyl acetate
n-Pentanol
n-Hexyl acetate
E-Hex-3-enyl acetate
Z-Hex-3-enyl acetate
Hex-4-enyl acetate
E-Hex-2-enyl acetate
n-Hexanol
Z-Hex-3-enol
E-Hex-2-enol
n-Hexyl-2-methylbutanoate
n-Heptanol
Camphor
n-Octanol
n-Oct-2-enol
1 -Methoxy-4-(2-propenyl)-benzene

I found this to be rather disturbing, this is a list of chemicals in an apple.

Yes, true, but at least an apple is a natural/nature grown item vs some franken lab created food to taste like something else. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Yes, true, but at least an apple is a natural/nature grown item vs some franken lab created food to taste like something else. 

Eh, there are plenty of things in nature which are not good for humans at all.  I don't have any particular problem with lab-created food as long as it tastes good and doesn't call itself what it isn't.  (Soy 'milk', grain-free 'cereal', fake meat calling itself meat.)

I have to say, the grain-free 'cereal' in the commercial looks about as healthy as Froot Loops.  I'd much rather eat Froot Loops if I was going to eat a frosted sugar bomb cereal.  Although I suppose if I couldn't eat gluten, the fake Froot Loops might do.

• Love 3
(edited)

There's been a local commercial lately for a concert by The Steve Augeri Band.  He was lead singer for Journey right after they split from Steve Perry after their 1996 reunion album.  Throughout the commercial, there are some Journey songs playing almost inaudibly in the background as the voiceover about the concert plays, so I assumed that it was probably Augeri singing.  But then they suddenly play a loud snippet of what is clearly the original version of "Any Way You Want It," with vocals.  Wouldn't it make more sense to promote the concert with some clips of Augeri singing (either Journey or original material) than to play Steve Perry circa 1980?  I know they have similarities in their voices, but they are not exactly the same, so this seems very lazy and possibly false advertising.

Edited by KWalkerInc
Any Way is different from Anyway.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

So I like the song "No Diggity", always have. It's a good song. 

But, uh, Instacart? I think you're really reaching to use the "bag it up" line from the chorus in your ads :p. Just sayin'...

At least I get to hum and dance along to the song whenever the ad pops up, so there's that :). 

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

But, uh, Instacart? I think you're really reaching to use the "bag it up" line from the chorus in your ads :p. Just sayin'...

I just saw that commercial and laughed so hard I had to come here and post about it.  I'm imagining the pitch meeting:

"You know, that 'I got to bag it up' song."
"Um, you know that means put on a condom, right?" 

• LOL 10

Not really a commercial making me scratch my head, but the juxtaposition:

The Expedia Commercial  with Ewan McGregor talking about people not needing more things, but experiences

Followed immediately by an Xfinity Mobile commercial (I think) with some singer talking about how the money saved by Xfinity Mobile allows you to buy more things.  🤔

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

So I like the song "No Diggity", always have. It's a good song. 

At least I get to hum and dance along to the song whenever the ad pops up, so there's that :). 

LOL, I'm so old, I had to Google what "no diggity" means.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I just saw that commercial and laughed so hard I had to come here and post about it.  I'm imagining the pitch meeting:

"You know, that 'I got to bag it up' song."
"Um, you know that means put on a condom, right?" 

LOL, yes! Reminds me of the commercial I saw years and years ago for those toy cars that little kids can ride around in. They played the chorus to "I'm So Excited" in that ad, and I was just like, "...I do not think that song means what you think that song means..." :p. 

21 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

LOL, I'm so old, I had to Google what "no diggity" means.

Proof that music is educational :D!

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Annber03 said:

They played the chorus to "I'm So Excited" in that ad, and I was just like, "...I do not think that song means what you think that song means..." :p. 

The orgasmic noises at the end of the song should have been a dead giveaway,  if someone was too stupid to figure it out from the lyrics. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Colleenna said:

The orgasmic noises at the end of the song should have been a dead giveaway,  if someone was too stupid to figure it out from the lyrics. 

That would be me. 🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Followed immediately by an Xfinity Mobile commercial (I think) with some singer talking about how the money saved by Xfinity Mobile allows you to buy more things.  🤔

And I know she's saying "This phone," but I swear it sounds like she's saying Fizzbo.

I might be watching a little too much "Modern Family" lately.

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

And I know she's saying "This phone," but I swear it sounds like she's saying Fizzbo.

I might be watching a little too much "Modern Family" lately.

At least she says "fewer" rather than "less".

• Love 4
On 5/3/2022 at 9:43 PM, Annber03 said:

LOL, yes! Reminds me of the commercial I saw years and years ago for those toy cars that little kids can ride around in. They played the chorus to "I'm So Excited" in that ad, and I was just like, "...I do not think that song means what you think that song means..." :p. 

I am 🤯 I was in grade school when ‘I’m So Excited’ came out and I never really thought about it - not even when it became a meme because of the Saved by the Bell episode where Jessie takes speed.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

U.S. Money Reserve: I find it ironic that they are more than happy to take your worthless backed by nothing paper money for their "hard assets" precious metal coins, like the value of precious metals never changes! 🤬

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

There's a commercial for a plant-based "milk" called Ripple. I guess people who lived through the 1970s have aged out of the product naming biz. Ripple was the name of a fruity fortified wine in the age of Farrah hair and Star Wars. Fred Sanford was a big fan. He would combine it with Champale to create Champipple.

• LOL 17
  • Love 3

Ok so I read once that Subway is the “fast food” joint raking in the most cash of all of them (I say “fast food” because to me Burger King is fast food.  Subway is a sandwich shop).

Well, that must be 100% true because in the ad I saw today, in addition to regulars Steph Curry and Simone Biles, they had Gronk and Derek Jeter (!!).  Gronk will do an ad for anything, but I cannot imagine that Jeter comes cheap.

I did giggle at Steph’s line when dumb Gronk spiked a sub - “couldn’t get Brady, huh.”

• LOL 5

The Subway execs spent all that money on celebs/athletes when all they had to do is fix the damn lettuce on their sandwiches.  They didn't even need *new* sandwiches.  Every Subway I've gone too has had wilted, stale lettuce, and that's why I've stopped going.  They need to check out Jersey Mike's or Jimmy Johns to see how the lettuce should be.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, mmecorday said:

There's a commercial for a plant-based "milk" called Ripple. I guess people who lived through the 1970s have aged out of the product naming biz. Ripple was the name of a fruity fortified wine in the age of Farrah hair and Star Wars. Fred Sanford was a big fan. He would combine it with Champale to create Champipple.

Bahaha!  I remember drinking Ripple (it was godawful), Boone's Farm, and Mogen David Pink Catawba.  It says  something about the quality of these that the best of the three was Mogen David.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 1