Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

I'm also puzzled that the nurse in one of the Gold Bond commercials puts body lotion on her face. I was always told you shouldn't do that. But maybe I've been brainwashed by Big Lotion.

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
2 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I'm also puzzled that the nurse in one of the Gold Bond commercials puts body lotion on her face. I was always told you shouldn't do that. But maybe I've been brainwashed by Big Lotion.

Is that really a thing?  I'd never heard that.  I mean, your face is part of your body...  I know there are specialized things for various facial needs, but if you just want a general moisturizer or sunscreen, is there something in "body" lotions that's bad for your face?

• Like 1
  • Love 2

The only thing I can think of is that facial lotions will have non-comedogenic properties that aren't touted in body lotions, but other than that, I see no reason why you couldn't use body lotion on your face. If body stuff in general were bad for your face, they wouldn't be selling that hair+face+body stuff that is marketed toward men.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, janie jones said:

The only thing I can think of is that facial lotions will have non-comedogenic properties that aren't touted in body lotions, but other than that, I see no reason why you couldn't use body lotion on your face. If body stuff in general were bad for your face, they wouldn't be selling that hair+face+body stuff that is marketed toward men.

Might be an esthetic issue, as. generally, a "greasy" face is not considered desirable.

• Love 2

I once used Nair (the kind for legs) fro a small area on my chin. Big mistake. I actually got almost a scrape there! Raw and red! 

I also use a special sunscreen on my face that is more gentle. It doesn't sting my eyes if it happens to get in there.

I assume that facial skin is more delicate. So I don't think the commercials are totally off-base in saying that in general, the products are different.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, mmecorday said:

You've been brainwashed by Big Lotion.  As long as we are talking about unscented body lotion, you can use it on your face.  Some more specialized products should not be used on your face, but it really depends on what the active ingredient is and your skin concerns.  Manufacturers put extra ingredients in products designed for the face, but the base of almost any facial moisturizer is the same as a product marketed for the body. 

Gold Bond would not be my first choice as a facial moisturizer, but it would work in a pinch.  I personally use the Cerave body cream and lotion on my face daily.  I can add my own active ingredients to it to get the same result as their facial moisturizers for a fraction of the cost.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 6/3/2022 at 9:00 PM, CrystalBlue said:

I made it to 0:21. Forget the man boobs, the Speedo is just no.

No one who isn't an Olympic swimmer or diver looks good in a Speedo.  Not even David Duchovny back in the day.

52 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

When I was a kid, a friend of mine wondered if Nair worked, so he put it on one of his eyebrows.  Funny how long it takes a kid's eyebrow to grow back.

And yet it hardly worked at all on my legs.  Not fair.

• LOL 8
7 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Might be an esthetic issue, as. generally, a "greasy" face is not considered desirable.

There are also body lotions that are designed to dry quickly so as to not stain clothing. They would be too drying for the face.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

No one who isn't an Olympic swimmer or diver looks good in a Speedo.  Not even David Duchovny back in the day.

I think they're silly-looking. Michael Phelps in a Speedo at the beach will still look ridiculous to me.

• Love 3
On 6/6/2022 at 12:48 PM, janie jones said:

There was some discussion a while back about how this was nonsense, but I think what they're going for is this: I assume you know the expression "age before beauty," which would be like, if an old person and a young person were to try to go through a door at the same time (for example), you'd say "age before beauty," and that would be saying that the old person should go first. (I apologize if the explanation is unnecessary; I just haven't heard this with any kind of frequency.) The expression implies that you're either aged or beautiful, but cannot be both. The lotion is saying, who says you have to lose your beauty when you get old? Have both: age and beauty.

I think it's also supposed to be a bit of a slight: I'm pretty and you're old.

10 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

When I was a kid, a friend of mine wondered if Nair worked, so he put it on one of his eyebrows.  Funny how long it takes a kid's eyebrow to grow back.

I always wondered about that old story about putting or replacing shampoo with Nair as a prank. It would be so fuckin' obvious that no one would ever fall for it!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Why is Lowe's using the "Candyman" song from Willy Wonka in its commercials?  And as an instrumental, too.  I almost expected a singer with new lyrics -- "The Handyman can, 'cause he fixes it with Lowe's..."

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Why is Lowe's using the "Candyman" song from Willy Wonka in its commercials?  And as an instrumental, too.  I almost expected a singer with new lyrics -- "The Handyman can, 'cause he fixes it with Lowe's..."

Well yes, but in the U.S. it's actually better known as a #1 hit song from Sammy Davis Jr. ( I know, right?) in 1972.  But, yeah.  It's kinda weird and random that they used that song for a Lowes commercial.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I think advertisers often choose music they think folks will have a positive memory of, not that it has any connection to the product. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. 😉

That must be true.  I just saw a vacuum cleaner commercial that used Phil Collins' "In The Air Tonight."

• LOL 2
9 hours ago, Browncoat said:

That must be true.  I just saw a vacuum cleaner commercial that used Phil Collins' "In The Air Tonight."

That's funny. I happen to love that song (that CD was the first CD I ever bought LOL).

But "In the Air" for a vacuum cleaner? Makes me think the damn thing isn't working properly!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 6/13/2022 at 3:32 AM, dleighg said:

But "In the Air" for a vacuum cleaner? Makes me think the damn thing isn't working properly!

I think in that one they are saying your old vacuum is putting dust and such into the air.  And that their vacuum won't.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 6/12/2022 at 8:33 PM, Browncoat said:

Sometimes  I think they're being cheap and using music that's old enough to be public domain so they don't have to pay royalties.... like the Flamingos  "I Only Have Eyes For You." 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Sometimes  I think they're being cheap and using music that's old enough to be public domain so they don't have to pay royalties.... like the Flamingos  "I Only Have Eyes For You." 

Music would have to pre-date 1926 to be in the public domain (exceptions are if the copyright holder abandoned the copyright or copyright was never applied for).  I doubt that song is in the public domain.  With music, very often the original composer or artist does not own the rights (the best example being the Beatles). Recently many artists have been selling their catalogs for lump-sum payments.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Music would have to pre-date 1926 to be in the public domain (exceptions are if the copyright holder abandoned the copyright or copyright was never applied for).  I doubt that song is in the public domain.  With music, very often the original composer or artist does not own the rights (the best example being the Beatles). Recently many artists have been selling their catalogs for lump-sum payments.

Oh, I know.  I was just using that as a possible example. I *think* the rule is 70 years after the death of the last surviving composer/lyricist, but I could be wrong.  And yeah... didn't  Bob Dylan  recently sell his for some ungodly sum?

• Mind Blown 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

didn't  Bob Dylan  recently sell his for some ungodly sum?

Yes, last year he sold his entire recorded catalog to Sony (he had a long relationship with Columbia Records, which is owned by Sony) for something in the neighborhood of $150-200 million, and this was after selling his publishing rights in 2020 to Universal, in a deal worth around $350 million.

(Songs have two copyrights; publishing rights are the song's composition [music and lyrics], owned by writers and publishers, and then recorded rights are a specific artist's performance of that song, owned by the artist and/or the label.)

Stevie Nicks, Paul Simon, Tina Turner, Neil Young, and Bruce Springsteen are among the other big names who've sold some or all of their lucrative rights in recent years.  It's always a complicated financial strategy, for themselves and what they want to leave their heirs, and that older artists could not tour during the worst of the pandemic and must still evaluate, more than younger artists, whether they should do so now led to a rights acquisition boon.

Edited by Bastet
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 5
22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

What the hell does Thomas Paine have to do with Car Shield? Their commercials are a bunch of fear mongering bullshit.

Who? Do you mean the author of Common Sense around the time of the American Revolution? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Oh, I know.  I was just using that as a possible example. I *think* the rule is 70 years after the death of the last surviving composer/lyricist, but I could be wrong.  And yeah... didn't  Bob Dylan  recently sell his for some ungodly sum?

https://www.yardbarker.com/entertainment/articles/musical_artists_whose_publishing_catalogs_have_commanded_big_bucks/s1__34368641#slide_2

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Yep.

Thomas Paine had HorseShield.  Your horse isn't getting any younger. 

• LOL 13
On 6/2/2022 at 10:06 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

It’s not that I don’t get it, but I am  curious about how liquor companies cast their commercial actors.  Repeadetly, I watch them and wonder where they found the quirky actors!  Lol. Here’s the latest.  She’s a famous actress , but really Seems odd in this commercial.  I guess it’s on purpose. 🤷‍♀️ Lol

Ok…..figured it out.  This actress in the liquor commercial that made me wonder…,she plays a notorious alcoholic on the series The Flight Attendant.  She is in recovery on the show, but struggles with relapse.  Her drinking has caused her character serious life problems.  So…..interesting choice of commercial.  Lol

• Useful 3

Long time lurker. First time posting. The Zocdoc commercial where the teacher types in "It hurts when you pee" and winds up making an appointment with an ObGyn. Um.. Why would you go to an ObGyn for a probable UTI? I would just go to my regular Dr and get antibiotics. 

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, Stevie Nicks said:

Long time lurker. First time posting. The Zocdoc commercial where the teacher types in "It hurts when you pee" and winds up making an appointment with an ObGyn. Um.. Why would you go to an ObGyn for a probable UTI? I would just go to my regular Dr and get antibiotics. 

Welcome! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, Stevie Nicks said:

Why would you go to an ObGyn for a probable UTI? I would just go to my regular Dr and get antibiotics

sometimes ObGyns (often female) are a bit more proactive about getting you treated quickly rather than "take the test and wait 2 days for it to come back" from (often male) internists. Stereotyping I know, but I've seen it. I've had enough UTIs to know what it is without the test, or at least to start the antibiotics while we wait for confirmation. Many males have never had a UTI so they've got no clue.

Off topic off topic so I'll stop now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

sometimes ObGyns (often female) are a bit more proactive about getting you treated quickly rather than "take the test and wait 2 days for it to come back" from (often male) internists. Stereotyping I know, but I've seen it. I've had enough UTIs to know what it is without the test, or at least to start the antibiotics while we wait for confirmation. Many males have never had a UTI so they've got no clue.

Off topic off topic so I'll stop now.

I agree. Are there in-home tests?

• Love 2

I keep seeing this commercial for some sort of hard seltzer (yuck) in which some youths grab the last of the stuff, pretty much snatching it from this black man next to them. Cut to their party, and who should show up but the man from the store! And they recognize him as a hip hop star and from the store! Wait, why didn't they recognize him earlier or know he was attending their party, for that matter?  Why was he even getting drinks for the party in the first place? 🤷‍♂️

Just now, Gharlane said:

I keep seeing this commercial for some sort of hard seltzer (yuck) in which some youths grab the last of the stuff, pretty much snatching it from this black man next to them. Cut to their party, and who should show up but the man from the store! And they recognize him as a hip hop star and from the store! Wait, why didn't they recognize him earlier or know he was attending their party, for that matter?  Why was he even getting drinks for the party in the first place? 🤷‍♂️

I don't think they recognize him as the hip hop star, but the guy from the store.  At least, that's how I heard it.  And he could have bee someone's plus one, or just crashed it because he followed them to get his damn hard seltzer.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
8 hours ago, madmax said:

I don't think they recognize him as the hip hop star, but the guy from the store.  At least, that's how I heard it.  And he could have bee someone's plus one, or just crashed it because he followed them to get his damn hard seltzer.

I was pretty sure they called him by his (stage) name. I dunno, there are so many lose ends to this one I don't know where to  begin! 😃

Edited by Gharlane

yeah I've seen the lemon one (or at least it's been on the TV and I've been half paying attention). It's very weird. I mean, Sorrento Italy is famous for lemons, and it's a really nice place to visit, but searching out lemons in particular for your vacation desires seems.... odd.

• Applause 3
  • Love 2
On 6/22/2022 at 4:12 AM, Gharlane said:

I was pretty sure they called him by his (stage) name. I dunno, there are so many lose ends to this one I don't know where to  begin! 😃

The rapper, Ty Dolla SIgn, introduces himself to the person at the party.  Even after he gives his name, the party guy does not seem to recognize him.  

• Like 2
On 6/26/2022 at 10:44 AM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

The rapper, Ty Dolla SIgn, introduces himself to the person at the party.  Even after he gives his name, the party guy does not seem to recognize him.  

Even if I did recognize him I would probably choose not to acknowledge someone with such a stupid name.

• LOL 6