Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

59 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

Does anyone understand the xfinity home internet commercial?  They say that with t-Mobile home internet, the family shares the wifi with the neighborhood?  How does that work and why would they have to wake up early to access it?

I thought it was some sort of a reference to the old days when you could get into your neighbors' wifi.

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Speaking of mis-hearing, I keep wondering what "liver work" is. Are they mispronouncing liverwurst?  "Did you serve liver work at Camp LeJeune..."

"Did you live or work at Camp Lejeune..." was clear to me 🤷‍♀️

• Love 2
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

"Did you live or work at Camp Lejeune..." was clear to me 🤷‍♀️

That commercial is driving me crazy! It plays several times an hour on the channels I watch. Just please go away!! I know this should be in the annoying commercial forum.... but couldn't help myself!!

Heh, all this talk of the Camp Lejune ads - I'm watching a "20/20" episode at the moment and someone being interviewed just mentioned earlier that they'd been stationed at Camp Lejune. I wonder what they'd have to say about these commercials :p. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ctlady said:

The Old Spice commercial with a youthified via CGI Dolph Lundgrun.  When the sweat squirts out from his armpit into the guy's face I dry heaved. 

Oh, is that what they did for that commercial? I recognized him as Dolph but I assumed it was someone made up to look like him from the Rocky movie.

• Love 1
On 10/22/2022 at 10:27 PM, Elizabeth Anne said:

Okay so how long, exactly, does it take to eat a hamburger?  The entire evening??  

For Dr. Now's patients,  about 5.3 seconds.  7 seconds if it's a bacon triple cheeseburger 😉

• Wink 2
  • Love 1
On 10/16/2022 at 9:40 PM, Annber03 said:

Heh, all this talk of the Camp Lejune ads - I'm watching a "20/20" episode at the moment and someone being interviewed just mentioned earlier that they'd been stationed at Camp Lejune. I wonder what they'd have to say about these commercials :p. 

Last night one of my channels had an entire thirty minute show devoted to making a Camp Lejeune claim.

• Sad 4
On 10/27/2022 at 10:08 AM, Dirtybubble said:

Another one of these commercials that advertises the incredible feature of deleting.  Can't you do that with every app??  Like close an account and delete it??

It sounded like they're saying they're not very competent at matching people up and to uninstall their app. Has Procurement Patty gone online?

Ad for a company that will get you out of your horrible timeshare. It says some people were held in a room for up to 10 hours without food or water, and only bought the timeshare to get out of the room. That sounds illegal to me. No one called the police? My lawyer husband says the part about being held against your will is BS. If it is BS, how can they spout lies? It just strikes me as so odd.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Ad for a company that will get you out of your horrible timeshare. It says some people were held in a room for up to 10 hours without food or water, and only bought the timeshare to get out of the room. That sounds illegal to me. No one called the police? My lawyer husband says the part about being held against your will is BS. If it is BS, how can they spout lies? It just strikes me as so odd.

I've heard of similar tactics being used by timeshare weasels and someone who threatened to call the police about being held against their will, which ended that selling session very rapidly.

8 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Dominoes is now running ads telling us that pizza can be leftovers!  Who’d have ever thought!

I like leftover pizza.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

What gets me about the Domino's eating leftovers commercials is that nowhere on their web site do they give any info on reheating - temperature, time. The commercials don't address it either. I've got it figured out, but if you're hyping it, why not provide some info?

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

What gets me about the Domino's eating leftovers commercials is that nowhere on their web site do they give any info on reheating - temperature, time. The commercials don't address it either. I've got it figured out, but if you're hyping it, why not provide some info?

I feel like reheating pizza is like boiling eggs - everyone has their own preferred method.  In a frying pan on the stove can be good.  Toaster oven can be good.  Microwave can be, um, heated.  Trial and error until you find what you like best.  Weirdly, my kids all liked their leftover pizza cold.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Good point! You would think they'd give some info on reheating. I usually just throw a slice into a fry pan to warm up, but I am lazy and that is so easy... 

• Love 1

They do show one person using a toaster oven and another using a frying pan to reheat their pizza.  And one guy says, "Who reheats pizza?"  So they don't completely ignore it.  Interestingly, no one is shown using a microwave -- thank goodness.  That's the worst way!  It ruins the crust.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I like leftover pizza.

Me too, but not Domino's (or Pizza Hut, or Papa Murphy's, or Little Caesar, or I could go on), which is crap the first time around.  You know, the rubbish that's served as a "special thanks" at cheapskate work places.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Leeds said:

Me too, but not Domino's (or Pizza Hut, or Papa Murphy's, or Little Caesar, or I could go on), which is crap the first time around.  You know, the rubbish that's served as a "special thanks" at cheapskate work places.

Currently my favorite pizza chain is Jet's, they do a Detroit-style pizza that is very good.

21 hours ago, Leeds said:

I prefer my leftover pizza cold. Must be a holdover from my 20s. 

• Love 2
On 10/22/2022 at 9:27 PM, Elizabeth Anne said:

Okay so how long, exactly, does it take to eat a hamburger?  The entire evening??  

It actually can take me that long. Lol I'm a very slow eater. 

On 10/30/2022 at 3:33 PM, Browncoat said:

They do show one person using a toaster oven and another using a frying pan to reheat their pizza.  And one guy says, "Who reheats pizza?"  So they don't completely ignore it.  Interestingly, no one is shown using a microwave -- thank goodness.  That's the worst way!  It ruins the crust.

I've only ever used a microwave. I heat it up for about a minute. It's fine for me that way most of the time. Ha

Edited by pinkandsparkly13
Typo
  • Love 1

I hate cold pizza.  And spare me the diatribes about how and why it's better cold. I don't like cold pizza end of story. 

But I typically do the standby of the microwave. But It does ruin the crust gets dry and hard. 

Dominoes pizza though sucks.  And I'm no pizza snob.  I do like other fast food style pizza. Just not dominoes. Like cardboard with cheese and sauce. So the idea of MORE of it doesn't entice me in the least. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 3

When you live in the sticks and Domino's is the only option for delivery, it tastes just fine when you are out of options. I still don't understand why they, at least on their web site, they don't give time and temperature for a toaster oven. It really is the best way to reheat pizza.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, kariyaki said:

This commercial is run rather plentifully during Friends reruns for some reason and it’s a kids toy but I’m sorry, it sounds like they’re saying “Show us your boobs!”

I glanced away and looked up when the toy was leaning forward.  I thought the feet were breasts.  😳

9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

For when you want to tell people you're into bondage without saying you're into bondage. 

• LOL 5