Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

Just now, dleighg said:

I think the point was that diets are hard, NOOM is easy. (I have no knowledge of NOOM or whether it's easy)

well, not to be unkind, but one of the other people in the commercial looks like the before picture for a diet to me, not someone who is showing what good results you can get

• LOL 1
2 minutes ago, cinsays said:

well, not to be unkind, but one of the other people in the commercial looks like the before picture for a diet to me, not someone who is showing what good results you can get

I get you, but I actually appreciate that it's not showing someone who looks like a model with 0% fat. Even getting to "slightly plump" is a goal for many.

• Love 16
15 hours ago, dleighg said:

I get you, but I actually appreciate that it's not showing someone who looks like a model with 0% fat. Even getting to "slightly plump" is a goal for many.

agreed, I don't think we need to strive for model thinness, that's going too far the other way, but I think it would be more effective if they showed a before and after of her then, like most diet commercials do

the thing I find amusing about NOOM is that apparently Nutrisystems feels they are a threat. In some of the Nutrisystems ads, when they mention plans they are better than, they make disparaging remarks about a "psychology" app. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, friendperidot said:

the thing I find amusing about NOOM is that apparently Nutrisystems feels they are a threat. In some of the Nutrisystems ads, when they mention plans they are better than, they make disparaging remarks about a "psychology" app. 

yeah, but they also put down plans that count, weigh, etc so this is just another possible threat to their bottom line, though I can't imagine how this program (noom) actually works 

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, cinsays said:

yeah, but they also put down plans that count, weigh, etc so this is just another possible threat to their bottom line, though I can't imagine how this program (noom) actually works 

Nutrisystem is the one where the customers are excitedly burbling things like "I don't have to think, I just eat the food!", right? I wonder if it's occurred to them that that they'd have to eat nothing but Nutrisystem food for the rest of their lives to maintain their weight loss. Some thinking, counting, weighing and planning is required after all.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, CoderLady said:

Nutrisystem is the one where the customers are excitedly burbling things like "I don't have to think, I just eat the food!", right? I wonder if it's occurred to them that that they'd have to eat nothing but Nutrisystem food for the rest of their lives to maintain their weight loss. Some thinking, counting, weighing and planning is required after all.

My stepmom uses Nutrisystem and gets meals about the size of a deck of playing cards. Yeah, I see why these people are losing weight. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
18 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

My stepmom uses Nutrisystem and gets meals about the size of a deck of playing cards. Yeah, I see why these people are losing weight. 

yikes...…….that would not work for me for a week, much less forever

I went on the noom site and filled out the profile and, good news, I can lose 9 pounds in 2 months if I follow thru on it.....

thanks, but I will pass

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, cinsays said:

yikes...…….that would not work for me for a week, much less forever

I went on the noom site and filled out the profile and, good news, I can lose 9 pounds in 2 months if I follow thru on it.....

thanks, but I will pass

It didn't work for me for even one day. I got a refund.  Not only is it meager serving sizes, it tastes like something cooked up in a high school chem lab.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

There's a  commercial  (it may be only on the iterwebz) for Apple  Airpods  Pro that baffles me.  The woman  puts the Airpods in her  ears and i swear it looks like she's  having a  seizure...

• LOL 1
17 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

There's a  commercial  (it may be only on the iterwebz) for Apple  Airpods  Pro that baffles me.  The woman  puts the Airpods in her  ears and i swear it looks like she's  having a  seizure...

I saw a shorter version on TV last night and had a similar reaction.  I take it that, with the noise cancellation, she's so in her own happy little world with her music that while, physically, she's walking down crowded city streets, mentally, she's dancing around some strange cool world with funky lighting.  But, yeah, to me, some of her movements more closely resemble having some sort of fit than dancing. 

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I saw a shorter version on TV last night and had a similar reaction.  I take it that, with the noise cancellation, she's so in her own happy little world with her music that while, physically, she's walking down crowded city streets, mentally, she's dancing around some strange cool world with funky lighting.  But, yeah, to me, some of her movements more closely resemble having some sort of fit than dancing. 

"A full body dry heave set to music."

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

"A full body dry heave set to music."

I saw it for the first time a couple of days ago and as soon as it started I knew it was an Apple ad. That's been the preferred dance style (someone described it as "got a bug on me") of people listening to music in ads for their personal tech products as far back as the iPod days. I guess it never goes out of style.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, CoderLady said:

I saw it for the first time a couple of days ago and as soon as it started I knew it was an Apple ad. That's been the preferred dance style (someone described it as "got a bug on me") of people listening to music in ads for their personal tech products as far back as the iPod days. I guess it never goes out of style.

I dunno... they had one several years ago  with a male dancer (Lil Buck) who was so darned good  my jaw dropped.  Now THAT'S  dancing! And the one from 2018(?) with the  couple in the  snow, set to Sam Smith's  "Palace. "  Graceful!

• Love 1
On 3/17/2020 at 7:36 PM, icemiser69 said:

The weight loss amount seems realistic.  

People can diet all they want, but they have to realize that they have to stick with it.   If they lose all of that weight and then all of a sudden go back to the way they were eating before they will put the weight right back on. Changing one's mindset when it comes to food is probably the most important thing when it comes to weight loss.

I was trying to stick to a 1200 calorie/day diet and was doing well with it - I lost 25 pounds - and then I got sick. Had a cold for two weeks, so I was guzzling OJ. Then I had two months of stress when I had the flood in the condo. THEN I caught another damn cold - out sick for three weeks!  More OJ guzzling. Needless to say, I put some of that weight back on. Went back to work just in time to be sent home to self-quarantine for being high-risk.  Sheesh.  Anyway, I'm re-starting the calorie counting while I'm quarantined.  NO MORE ORANGE JUICE.

• LOL 4
On ‎03‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 5:48 PM, cinsays said:

I mostly likely looked like the before picture AFTER losing 44 lbs.  It matters where you start.  The one guy in the commercial says how much he lost, and it was impressive.

On ‎03‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 2:43 PM, cinsays said:

I haven't looked at it, but I do know from personal experience that plans with a lot of counting and weighing don't work for me in the long term.

On ‎03‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 3:07 PM, CoderLady said:

Some thinking, counting, weighing and planning is required after all

Thinking and planning, yes.  Counting and weighing, not so much for me.  It was only a temporary fix.

On ‎03‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 3:55 PM, cinsays said:

That's a reasonable amount of weight in that time.  The trick is to keep it up after 2 months.  And the real trick is keeping it off after you reach your goal.  Can't tell you have to do that, because I haven't yet.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, talktoomuch said:

Okay tell me it's just me. I can take it. But I swear she's singing, "Your heart is true. You're a pal and a conTidant."

I was too disturbed watching them dunk the grilled cheese sandwich into the tomato soup to pay attention to the lyrics.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I was too disturbed watching them dunk the grilled cheese sandwich into the tomato soup to pay attention to the lyrics.

Oh, that's a pretty time-honored tradition! It's actually very good.

• Love 7
On 3/21/2020 at 4:27 PM, talktoomuch said:

Okay tell me it's just me. I can take it. But I swear she's singing, "Your heart is true. You're a pal and a conTidant."

https://youtu.be/CFkHfju1YZI

When I was a kid, I didn't know the word "confidante," so I thought it went "you're a pal and a complete hon."  Maybe she doesn't know the words and no one told her.

• LOL 6

Warren Zevon's song, Carmelita, begins: "I hear mariachi static on the radio and the tubes, they glow in the dark..."

Some young woman recorded a cover of the song and, apparently, doesn't know radios used to have tubes and she sang, "and the jewels, they glow in the dark..."  ON A TRIBUTE ALBUM.

Quite a few Zevoneers were ambiguous about their feelings over this - while it's always nice to hear WZ getting played by other people, holy crap, woman, it's not like there aren't resources for the lyrics.  LOL

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

This commercial for removing pee stains from carpets is so confusing! It begins with two dogs on a couch wearing clothes telling us about the time they peed on the carpet while playing, cutting to them ticking each other while naked! 😮 It then cuts to this human woman cleaning the carpet with the product,  so what's going on here?  

• LOL 2
16 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

This commercial for removing pee stains from carpets is so confusing! It begins with two dogs on a couch wearing clothes telling us about the time they peed on the carpet while playing, cutting to them ticking each other while naked! 😮 It then cuts to this human woman cleaning the carpet with the product,  so what's going on here?  

One of the dogs said he had an accident on the carpet when the other one tickled him.

Safe Auto has always had weird ads.   They have another new one with some young woman in flannel talking about what hot shit she is because she was able to drive when she was 9 and how everyone else is an idiot because they didn't learn until they were 16.   

This series have been on for a long time but I keep forgetting to mention it.   Some woman is talking to her mom and the mom needs to tell her secret:  mom doesn't have any tan lines.   The daughter, looking appropriately skeeved, inappropriately asks if she uses a tanner and it's not a 'nude beach situation'.   The mom just shrugs and gives this look like she's trying to be coy with someone she's trying to turn on.   Like, what the fuck?   There's another ad with the same actors where the mom breaks into the bathroom and creeps up on the daughter while she's in the shower.   How does this shit make it to air?  I can't believe someone could go into a meeting with Corporate America suits and pitch this crap with a straight face, much less sell it.

• Love 4

In the commercials for The Bachelor: Listen to Your Heart, some guy describes his relationship with one of the women as being "a real-life Star Is Born," which I assume he believes is some beautiful fairy-tale romance.  I'm guessing he hasn't actually seen the movie and just knows there are people singing in it.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Maverick said:

This series have been on for a long time but I keep forgetting to mention it.   Some woman is talking to her mom and the mom needs to tell her secret:  mom doesn't have any tan lines.   The daughter, looking appropriately skeeved, inappropriately asks if she uses a tanner and it's not a 'nude beach situation'.   The mom just shrugs and gives this look like she's trying to be coy with someone she's trying to turn on.   Like, what the fuck?   There's another ad with the same actors where the mom breaks into the bathroom and creeps up on the daughter while she's in the shower.   How does this shit make it to air?  I can't believe someone could go into a meeting with Corporate America suits and pitch this crap with a straight face, much less sell it.

That's Leslie Mann, an actress known for playing quirky characters in dumb comedies, mostly written and directed by her husband, Judd Apatow.  The commercials make more sense if you know who she is.

• Love 2

There's a Daisy sour cream ad where the Dad drives to the store to get sour cream then goes home and is fixing breakfast when the daughter and the mother come in.  And he's still wearing his hoodie.  Take off your outside wear when you get home!

3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

There's a Daisy sour cream ad where the Dad drives to the store to get sour cream then goes home and is fixing breakfast when the daughter and the mother come in.  And he's still wearing his hoodie.  Take off your outside wear when you get home!

Wait what? You can’t wear a hoodie indoors? Am I paying to heat the whole neighborhood?

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I was more disturbed trying to figure out WTF they were putting sour cream on at breakfast 

And I love sour cream.  But at breakfast?  Maybe some French fried potatoes?  that's more of a diner or eating out sort of thing though, not for home.  I suppose an omelet maybe?  I've never put sour cream on my omelet.  They might show it in the commercial but I forget now.  But anyway whatever it is there is nothing they would use it for where I would have to rush out and buy sour cream for breakfast because I just had to have it.  I'd just leave it off. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I was more disturbed trying to figure out WTF they were putting sour cream on at breakfast 

And I love sour cream.  But at breakfast?  Maybe some French fried potatoes?  that's more of a diner or eating out sort of thing though, not for home.  I suppose an omelet maybe?  I've never put sour cream on my omelet.  They might show it in the commercial but I forget now.  But anyway whatever it is there is nothing they would use it for where I would have to rush out and buy sour cream for breakfast because I just had to have it.  I'd just leave it off. 

I don't eat sour cream, so I wasn't sure if what he was making was something people eat regularly at breakfast, but I was confused by that, too.

Was it scrambled eggs?

10 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I don't eat sour cream, so I wasn't sure if what he was making was something people eat regularly at breakfast, but I was confused by that, too.

Was it scrambled eggs?

I think it was scrambled or some type of eggs

But whatever it was, again, not a necessity for the food involved, would be still good without it.  Its not like cereal and you are out of milk or, for me, pancakes and no syrup (though my wife would be fine with that).  In those cases I go out in the morning and buy them or eat something else

No sour cream?  I'll survive, its fine. 

• Love 1

yes, again, I love sour cream on many things.  I've just never once had to rush out to buy any in the morning before breakfast. 

Never had them in omelets, maybe its good, but you can make omelets without them. 

3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

yes, again, I love sour cream on many things.  I've just never once had to rush out to buy any in the morning before breakfast. 

Never had them in omelets, maybe its good, but you can make omelets without them. 

I like it on potatoes O'Brien.

1 minute ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Cheese blintzes, people. You use sour cream on cheese blintzes for breakfast.

yes... I used to get some kind of Swedish crepes at IHOP many years ago and they were served with sour cream

• Love 1

I actually love the Leslie Mann/Jergens lotion ads. I always laugh at the new one, where she's looking at a genealogy-type website, and tells her daughter something like 'the Depression is where we get out dustbowl elbows from'.

• Love 2
(edited)
48 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Cheese blintzes, people. You use sour cream on cheese blintzes for breakfast.

To me they looked like breakfast wraps with scrambled eggs. I mean do people eat blintzes with their hands?

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 1