Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

On 2/10/2020 at 11:26 AM, peacheslatour said:

Why does Doug feel he has to spew Liberty Mutual's motto, first in English, then in Spanish, then in English two more times? I could see it if he were speaking four languages. 

He's speaking into each individual reporter's microphone.

• Love 2

There's this Range Rover commercial I keep seeing. An (apparently) medal winning Olympic skier is listening to the weather/traffic and it's saying how the roads are all closed. She ends up in a huge traffic jam, does a U-turn, and drives up snowy roads to the top of the mountain, straps her skis on and takes off. Now first, where have you ever seen a road to the top of a ski slope? And no chair lifts in sight-- how on earth is she going to get back to her car? I know, I overthink things.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
21 hours ago, dleighg said:

There's this Range Rover commercial I keep seeing. An (apparently) medal winning Olympic skier is listening to the weather/traffic and it's saying how the roads are all closed. She ends up in a huge traffic jam, does a U-turn, and drives up snowy roads to the top of the mountain, straps her skis on and takes off. Now first, where have you ever seen a road to the top of a ski slope? And no chair lifts in sight-- how on earth is she going to get back to her car? I know, I overthink things.

Plus, commercials like that one, and the stupid Jeep ones that tell everyone except Jeep drivers to stay off the road in bad weather, just encourage people to think that somehow things like snow and ice don't affect their vehicles.  Maybe not all suv drivers, only the idiot ones, but still a terrible message to send.  Everyone should stay off the roads in snowy and icy weather.

• Love 5
On 2/12/2020 at 10:08 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Wade Boggs Carpet World!!

Wade Boggs Carpet World!!

Or back in the day --- NATIONWIDE  WAREHOUSE! NATIONWIDE  WAREHOUSE! NATIONWIDE  WAREHOUSE! 

It was all I could do to resist  hurling a  shoe at the  TV. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 2/13/2020 at 2:01 PM, dleighg said:

I think there's one also where these people are done skiing and they hop in their car that's just sitting in this flat area, I guess at the bottom of the mountain.  How did they get to the top?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I've been going to the bank to cash in savings bonds that have matured, and my husband says are now making 0.1% interest. They only take 10 a day. Only 2 more days and I'll be done.

ONLY ten? I have a handful of savings binds I bought in the early 1990's that I never redeemed b/c the interest rate didn't decrease. I'm probably going to be forced to redeem them soon, once they stop accruing value.

Why does the man telling the Geico gecko to change the flyer design to "pump the brakes"? Shouldn't he tell him to "stop the presses" or "put on the brakes"?

Edited by Ubiquitous
  • Love 1

J.K. Simmons is the actor in those Farmer's Insurance ads - "Seen it; covered it."  He's a guy showing people around their museum. Did you know the character has a name?  Closed captioning says: "(Burke) We know a lot of things because we've seen a lot of things."  WHY does the character even HAVE a name? Is it necessary to the ad? Does anyone without CC know? This is just so weird to me. It's not like somebody touring the museum says, "So, Mr. Burke, can you tell me what this one's about?"

• Love 4
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

OMG, the Domino's Risky Business commercial. I love you Bob but that commercial is on eleventy million times a day and I'm starting to hate that song.

Does a pizza delivery guy really laugh when a guy comes to the door in his underwear?

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

Yeah, right, like that actress from Full House will be attending the Oscars with a pouch of tuna in her purse in case she gets hungry.

Like she would be attending the Oscars ever. More like a Hallmark channel Meet the "Stars" event. 🙄

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

OMG, the Domino's Risky Business commercial. I love you Bob but that commercial is on eleventy million times a day and I'm starting to hate that song.

Sometimes twice in the same commercial break.

Does a pizza delivery guy really laugh when a guy comes to the door in his underwear?

I thought he pulled on pants as he went to the door.

Edited by smittykins
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I've been going to the bank to cash in savings bonds that have matured, and my husband says are now making 0.1% interest. They only take 10 a day. Only 2 more days and I'll be done.

Gah. Thanks for  reminding me that I need to do this. 

16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

J.K. Simmons is the actor in those Farmer's Insurance ads - "Seen it; covered it."  He's a guy showing people around their museum. Did you know the character has a name?  Closed captioning says: "(Burke) We know a lot of things because we've seen a lot of things."  WHY does the character even HAVE a name? Is it necessary to the ad? Does anyone without CC know? This is just so weird to me. It's not like somebody touring the museum says, "So, Mr. Burke, can you tell me what this one's about?"

And why would they choose a name that means idiot?

• LOL 1

Pretty sure Risky Business pizza orderer is fully dressed by the time it's at the door. They show him dancing, then a shot of his phone indicating the pizza is two minutes away, then he puts his pants on (because he got that handy 2-minute warning), then he answers the door. The shirt is untucked to retain the Risky Business look even though he's got pants on at that point. That's how I read it.

• Love 1
On 2/5/2020 at 4:34 AM, Kiki777 said:

I love Rainn Wilson but hate that he’s in an ad for Little Ceasar’s pizza.  That stuff is gross and my friends and I call it ‘diarrhea pizza’.   Though it does make sense that Little Cesar’s now delivers.... maybe they’ve caught on to the diarrhea thing and figure it would be easier on their customers to stay home?

I won’t eat their pizza but as far as the commercial, the guy riding the ostrich through the office while chaos ensues is hilarious 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Why does he order two pizzas if he's home alone?

When I was single, anytime a pizza chain had a two for one special or somesuch. I'd always order two. One to eat over a few days, and one to freeze to eat later. Anything to save money. 

• Love 5

Why are 2 hip hop girls singing the incredibly gloomy song 'Paint It Black' as an 'uplifting' theme for a stupid zero calorie Pepsi soda? * Yeah, I know the can is black

I hate when millennial ad agency whiz kids hear out-of-context Boomer anthems and grab one superficial word or phrase in order to shoe-horn it into a promotion. (Of course, I will also lay blame at the feet of Jagger/Richards).

Edited by sempervivum
  • Love 6
On 2/15/2020 at 11:47 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I assume that exactly what happened! LOL

On 2/16/2020 at 2:42 AM, Ashforth said:

Like she would be attending the Oscars ever. More like a Hallmark channel Meet the "Stars" event. 🙄

If that's the case, Hallmark might be too cheap to supply snacks and beverages for their events.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

Why are 2 hip hop girls singing the incredibly gloomy song 'Paint It Black' as an 'uplifting' theme for a stupid zero calorie Pepsi soda? * Yeah, I know the can is black

I hate when millennial ad agency whiz kids hear out-of-context Boomer anthems and grab one superficial word or phrase in order to shoe-horn it into a promotion. (Of course, I will also lay blame at the feet of Jagger/Richards).

I'm pretty sure this has been happening for decades, so I wouldn't necessarily blame kids these days for it.

• Love 5

Hallmark Channel is using a butchered version of Nina Simone's "Feeling Good" in its teasers for the new season of "When Calls the Heart." Apparently the bland heroine has to choose between a Mountie and some other boring guy. YAWN!

On 12/28/2018 at 7:11 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

They don't wanna pay royalties to the band/songwriter? The video folks didn't get proper licensing & pay the royalties? Could be several reasons, actually.

Yeah thats all you hear from the "marketers" all they do re-hash old songs and pass them off as new ones - makes me sick

you do a new commercial - YOU MAKE YOUR OWN music...(leakers)

• Love 1
On 12/24/2019 at 10:15 PM, CoyoteBlue said:

Wtf is that cat in the Chewie dog commercial supposed to be? Specifically those pointy white things at his "waist"? Are they supposed to be paws? Does he have three paws on the floor? Argh!

Also, I could swear the kid is a boy and keep reading that's they're a girl?

caNNOT stand that chewy woman...

14 hours ago, smittykins said:

Just saw another Blue commercial showing a woman and her cat.  An onscreen graphic says “ Jewel and her cat Tucker.”

Three guesses what I thought the cat’s name was at first...😳😳😳

That poor cat looked like he was forced to be on her lap since only the top of his head can be seen. It looked like he had been trying to pull backwards to get off and they settled with the footage they got.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 2/16/2020 at 3:54 PM, Brookside said:

And why would they choose a name that means idiot?

So, wait.....you're telling me I can get away with calling someone an idiot by simply saying, "You're such a f^%$&*g Burke!"?   Yay, me!

• Love 3

I don't get the Canada Dry ginger ale commercial. I don't know why he sounds like Antonio Banderas but looks like a Tibetan monk but advertises Canada Dry...I truly would appreciate an explanation. Isn't he also in a shopping mall at one point? WTF?

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I put both in my pumpkin pie. I use the nutmeg in place of cloves.

You are making me hungry.  When I was a kid our local hamburger joint used to top their 35 cent chocolate milkshakes with a rosette of whipped cream and a dash of nutmeg.  To die for.

• Love 3

I just read an article stating Burger King is or has started an ad campaign showing Whoppers covered in mold.  Don't know if it's strictly print, TV ads, or both.  The thinking apparently is to inform consumers Whoppers are all natural,  nothing artificial.  Really?  Because all a picture of a moldy hamburger did for me is almost make me throw up.  Which ad agency came up with this stomach turning idea and why?  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

I just read an article stating Burger King is or has started an ad campaign showing Whoopers covered in mold.  Don't know if it's strictly print, TV ads, or both.  The thinking apparently is to inform consumers Whoopers are all natural,  nothing artificial.  Really?  Because all a picture of a moldy hamburger did for me is almost make me throw up.  Which ad agency came up with this stomach turning idea and why?  

The unconventional marketing effort includes a TV commercial showing the all-natural Whopper slowly rotting over the course of 34 days as soul singer Dina Washington's 1959 hit "What a Difference A Day Makes" plays in the background. Deliberately absent are food coloring and special effects commonly used to make restaurant meals and their ingredients look appetizing in commercials. By the end of the 45-second commercial, the Whopper has transformed into a green and blue mess.

"The beauty of no artificial preservatives," the ad's tagline reads.

-CNN Business

On 2/20/2020 at 11:28 AM, peacheslatour said:

The unconventional marketing effort includes a TV commercial showing the all-natural Whopper slowly rotting over the course of 34 days as soul singer Dina Washington's 1959 hit "What a Difference A Day Makes" plays in the background. Deliberately absent are food coloring and special effects commonly used to make restaurant meals and their ingredients look appetizing in commercials. By the end of the 45-second commercial, the Whopper has transformed into a green and blue mess.

"The beauty of no artificial preservatives," the ad's tagline reads.

-CNN Business

Ugh.  It would make me never eat a Whopper because my brain would forever sear it as moldy hamburgers.  But maybe that's just me.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 6

It makes me think of what was intended to be the closing segment of Super Size Me -- a side-by-side comparison of a burger and fries from McDonald's and those from an independent restaurant, showing how the food from the latter rots as one would expect, but the McDonald's offerings sit there disturbingly pristine after quite some time because of all the artificial preservatives.

• Love 4