Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

13 minutes ago, Pj3422 said:

The MasterCard commercial at the subway, “Dance and we’ll tap you through”? I saw Alex Freakin’ Wong, an AMAZING dancer - and yet they DON’T show him dancing through the turnstile?

Ok, I had to go see that.  One of the greatest dancers of the century and we don't get to see Alex Freakin' Wong perform?  What a wasted opportunity!

• Love 2
On 2/20/2020 at 8:03 AM, MissAlmond said:

I just read an article stating Burger King is or has started an ad campaign showing Whoopers covered in mold.  Don't know if it's strictly print, TV ads, or both.  The thinking apparently is to inform consumers Whoopers are all natural,  nothing artificial.  Really?  Because all a picture of a moldy hamburger did for me is almost make me throw up.  Which ad agency came up with this stomach turning idea and why?  

This seems to be a direct response to the known-issue with McDonald's that you can take a McDonald's burger and leave it for 2 years it'll look exactly the same. The press on that isn't exactly recent, so it's a little weird the ad agency came up with this NOW, when the notion may be kicking around the back of people's brains, but isn't exactly new, scandalous info, but it does seem to be trying to contrast to that specifically.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, theatremouse said:

This seems to be a direct response to the known-issue with McDonald's that you can take a McDonald's burger and leave it for 2 years it'll look exactly the same.

I believe all of you about this.  But see, for me this commercial doesn't make me think of a never aging McDonalds burger.  It's now implanted in my brain the Burger King Whopper comes covered with mold.  I can't unsee that image.  

Edited by MissAlmond
corrected spelling
  • Love 3

It's a Whopper, not a Whooper.

I haven't seen the moldy burger commercial in question, but the idea doesn't bother me.  However, it seems like one of these people could have come up with a more appetizing way of depicting the burger being all-natural without depicting it rotting.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 2:20 PM, janie jones said:

Yeah, I always wondered where the Easter Bunny was supposed to have gotten the eggs.  Luckily my parents didn't try to have us believe the Easter Bunny was real so no mental gymnastics were required.

The motivational speaker one is poorly conceived, in my mind, though I could be overthinking it.  It's not clear to me what they are saying is the reason he's a bad motivational speaker.  His nose is growing because he doesn't believe the things he's saying.  So can't he just change his spiel so that he's saying things he does believe?  Is that what makes him a bad motivational speaker?  The fact that he can't even come up with a pitch he believes?

Or is it that the people in the audience have no potential, and the "lie" is external to whatever Pinocchio believes, so these people are exposed as failures in life even if Pinocchio doesn't think they are?

Or are they saying that all motivational speakers are liars and Pinocchio can't do a job that requires lying?

And also, was this his first time doing it?  If not, why continue this endeavor if your nose keeps growing?

If memory serves, Pinocchio's nose didn't grow until he told those two losers they could be successful,  embarrassing everyone involved. Up until that point,  things were fine, so I think he made the mistake of selecting losers to point at during his speech instead of people who he believed in.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 8:27 PM, Blergh said:

So I have to wonder if Justin Guarini could be cringing all the way to the bank re his Lil Sweet gig for Dr. Pepper?

I'm wondering ob the woman following him into the air duct at the end of one Diet Dr Pepper commercial. 

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 2:40 PM, Red Bridey said:

I don't get the Canada Dry ginger ale commercial. I don't know why he sounds like Antonio Banderas but looks like a Tibetan monk but advertises Canada Dry...I truly would appreciate an explanation. Isn't he also in a shopping mall at one point? WTF?

I don't like that zen bastard,  but in one commercial,  he claims he got into the house via the cat door, while standing in front of some open sliding glass doors.  

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 4:24 PM, spiderpig said:

Does anyone know what's in the Geico gecko's biscuits/cookies?  Cinnamon, nutmeg or both?

Dooh! I just realized the Geicko gecko brought them cookies, not the American meaning of "biscuit "! I wondered who the hell put spices in those? 😃

Edited by Ubiquitous
Editted for clarity
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

Dooh! I just realized the Geicko gecko brought them cookies, not the American meaning of "biscuit "! I wondered who the hell put spices in those?

I have plenty of cookie biscuit recipes that call for cinnamon or nutmeg.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, elle said:

I generally don't mind the Lil' Sweet ads, but there is one that bugs me.  A woman has finished painting a room when he appears leaving a Lil' Sweet sized blank spot on the wall and then he goes off riding on the roller leaving a paint trail behind him.  So, not only does this woman have to repaint a wall but also has to clean paint off of her (wood) floor.

How did she not notice him standing there? Does he have a +20 Stealth roll? 

3 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I would think long and hard before accepting baked goods from a gecko.

I think I would wonder where it lives in the neighborhood and how it operates the human sized oven.

2 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

How did she not notice him standing there? Does he have a +20 Stealth roll? 

I think I would wonder where it lives in the neighborhood and how it operates the human sized oven.

Considering the size of those cookies, I don't think he has a human sized oven.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I haven't been in a Dominos in ...well, ever. Has anyone tried the BY Pass thingy? Do they really greet you ala Norm at Cheers?

I haven't seen the ad you reference, but I must question the judgment of the "creatives" who pitched and the person who authorized using "bypass" to promote a product typically laden with cheese and greasy processed meats. Because, you know, clogged arteries.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 2/17/2020 at 9:10 AM, sempervivum said:

Why are 2 hip hop girls singing the incredibly gloomy song 'Paint It Black' as an 'uplifting' theme for a stupid zero calorie Pepsi soda? * Yeah, I know the can is black

I hate when millennial ad agency whiz kids hear out-of-context Boomer anthems and grab one superficial word or phrase in order to shoe-horn it into a promotion. (Of course, I will also lay blame at the feet of Jagger/Richards).

I like it. At least they're not screaming at us like so many commercials these days.

• Love 1

So I'm not an insurance expert or anything even close. So the Liberty commercials where they're touting you only pay for what you need. Aren't the choices pretty much full coverage, or minimum liability with add-ons you want like under or non insured?  

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

So I'm not an insurance expert or anything even close. So the Liberty commercials where they're touting you only pay for what you need. Aren't the choices pretty much full coverage, or minimum liability with add-ons you want like under or non insured?  

That's my only beef with Liberty Mutual - pretending they are the only insurance company that does that. We've been with State Farm for decades, and we "only pay for what we need".

• Love 5
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

That's my only beef with Liberty Mutual - pretending they are the only insurance company that does that. We've been with State Farm for decades, and we "only pay for what we need".

Most insurance companies do this.  Or, at the very least, you can get a level of coverage which is the minimum required in your state.  Yeah, it bugs when they act like it's some special thing only they have in Liberty Mutual commercials.

• Love 4

The Geico commercial where he's taking cookies to his new neighbors.  Who rang the doorbell? 

The ad would be better if the guy who ate the cookies/biscuits had asked that question after they closed the door.

• Love 3

If I were the homeowners, I wouldn't wonder who rang the bell, since geckos are good at scampering up walls.  But from the outside, you see him standing there when the bell goes off.  If this gecko has telekinetic powers, it explains a lot about his ability to live a human-sized life.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

The gecko somehow ringing the doorbell reminds me of an ad they had a few years ago, where he offers to pay for dinner with a colleague and leaves the guy baffled by suddenly producing a normal-sized wallet out of nowhere.

• LOL 7

New ads on the old people channels are for some moisture wicking machine for people (women) with incontinence at night, so they don't pee through their incontinence pads and undies. I'm not exactly sure how it works, I haven't been that curious. But every time I hear the ad (I don't really watch tv, I listen) I think it might be a real problem for someone that needs that one plus the cpap machine to get the two machines mixed up and hooked up to the wrong end of the body.

• LOL 10
11 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I'm not exactly sure how it works, I haven't been that curious.

I got curious too.  Bascially you stick a wand between your buttcheeks and into your crotch and it's like a little vacuum which sucks up the piss.

• Love 1

BigBingerBro, thanks for taking one for the team. You wouldn't be able to move around much with that and then add a cpap machine and you're frozen in place! I sleep pretty much in one spot until I get ticked off and shove the dogs off the bed.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Am I the last person in the world to realize the 2 moms in the Chrysler Pacifica ad (one chic, one disheveled) are the same actor? I usually half watch tv, especially commercials, but it hit me after seeing it many times they are the same person, and so says iSpot.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Am I the last person in the world to realize the 2 moms in the Chrysler Pacifica ad (one chic, one disheveled) are the same actor? I usually half watch tv, especially commercials, but it hit me after seeing it many times they are the same person, and so says iSpot.

Good catch, I never noticed. I will watch more closely next time.

On 3/5/2020 at 12:35 PM, mmecorday said:

Why is this commercial so damn long???

I mentioned this one a few months ago, because the person on the left at the :24 mark looks like they just smelled a bad fart.

• LOL 2

I mentioned this one a few months ago, because the person on the left at the :24 mark looks like they just smelled a bad fart.

Why isn't she allowed to speak? She looks like she has serious objections to what her husband is saying. And WTF is up with those weird suspenders?

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Why isn't she allowed to speak? She looks like she has serious objections to what her husband is saying. And WTF is up with those weird suspenders?

I have no clue.  I spent too long thinking about it on it's first run, lol.

2 minutes ago, revbfc said:

I’d like to send a shout out to the Otezla ad where a dude finally has the confidence to pursue that 3-way he’s always dreamed of.

I have also wondered about the relationships there LOL. I didn't even have to play the video to know what you were talking about.

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 3:05 AM, friendperidot said:

New ads on the old people channels are for some moisture wicking machine for people (women) with incontinence at night, so they don't pee through their incontinence pads and undies.

But isn't that what those adult diapers are for?

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 6:06 PM, chessiegal said:

I wondered about that as well, but that commercial is so annoying that I ignore it now. I think I have the same reaction to the Progressive commercials with the sign spinner. I am so used to ignoring them IRL that I automatically do it for those commercials!

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 6:39 AM, revbfc said:

I’d like to send a shout out to the Otezla ad where a dude finally has the confidence to pursue that 3-way he’s always dreamed of.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ZHqN/otezla-little-things-pool

Hmm, wonder how he feels about four-ways?

• Love 1

I have a question about the Dish ad with the dad giving his daughter who is going to college a tablet the Dish mobile on it.. They tout the fact that you can put their mobile app on up to 5 different devices. We have Verizon Fios, and there is no limit to the number of devices you can download their mobile app to. I don't understand limiting the number of devices.

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, chessiegal said:

They tout the fact that you can put their mobile app on up to 5 different devices. We have Verizon Fios, and there is no limit to the number of devices you can download their mobile app to. I don't understand limiting the number of devices.

I don't know the details about Dish, but on those sort of things, it's usually not about how many devices you can download the app on, it's how many can be used at the same time. They often have a limit on the number of streams in use simultaneously on your account. If you and your spouse are watching different things, and the kids all want to watch their own programs on their phone/tablet, you can run into those limits.

For instance, a basic Netflix account does not allow simultaneous streaming, while a standard Netflix account you can watch on two devices at the same time, and four at once with a premium account. Amazon Prime Video and YouTube TV allow you to stream content on three devices at once. Hulu allows only two devices streaming video at the same time. It doesn't matter how many places you load the app, it matters how many of them you can use at the same time.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-many-devices-youtube-tv

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Moose135 said:

It doesn't matter how many places you load the app, it matters how many of them you can use at the same time.

Thanks. That makes sense. It's only the 2 of us, and I know we've both been on at the same time watching different things.

• Love 2
On 3/9/2020 at 9:31 PM, mmecorday said:

I'm sorry to say that I actually know there is a version out there of this ad in which the wife gets to talk, and she's rather cute. I was prepared to hate her, because the non-speaking ads make her look like a parakeet or something, with those unblinking beady eyes and the way she swivels her head around while hubby talks. 

• LOL 1

What about the commercial for Noom, the diet thing.

The gal talking about trying every diet and even not having bread or pasta for ONE DAY...

yeah, that is really trying a diet

• LOL 3
2 minutes ago, cinsays said:

What about the commercial for Noom, the diet thing.

The gal talking about trying every diet and even not having bread or pasta for ONE DAY...

yeah, that is really trying a diet

I think that was a joke. She just has terrible delivery.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, cinsays said:

I think the point was that diets are hard, NOOM is easy. (I have no knowledge of NOOM or whether it's easy)