Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

There's a radio ad where Dad and kid are talking about the kid not making the basketball team and says now "I have bad fomo." And Dad said they're kind of the chess club types, and he had "bad fomo" until he got Direct TV to watch all of the NBA games. 

And the ad never explains what fomo means.  I had to go to urbandictionary to find out what it means.

FOMO

Fear of missing out. 

Speaking of Cardi B, I was seeing this commercial a lot this Christmas season: https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ZOJF/pepsi-holiday-gifting-advice-featuring-cardi-b

I'm pretty sure this commercial is the first time I've seen anything beyond her name, so I don't know what she's like in general, but I find her very strange and off-putting here.  Her body and facial movements remind me of Carol Channing, and her line delivery is like that of someone in a commercial for a local, family-owned business, not a professional performer.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/23/2019 at 12:18 PM, peacheslatour said:

It's a tentacle of the Kardashian Beast from the Undersideboob of crappy pop culture.

Fixed it for ya.

Having recently seen a paparazzi pic of 'unmadeup' Cardi B, I'm mostly fascinated by how her contouring in these Pepsi commercials has given her a tiny pointy nose. 

Edited by sempervivum
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

Fixed it for ya.

Having recently seen a paparazzi pic of 'unmadeup' Cardi B, I'm mostly fascinated by how her contouring in these Pepsi commercials has given her a tiny pointy nose. 

lol. i've seen some of those contouring videos on you tube. it's amazing how a super macho football player type can transform into a delicate flower.

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:38 PM, Silver Raven said:

Are you talking about this absolutely ridiculous ad with Cardi B?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Ipt6/pepsi-okurrr-featuring-cardi-b-mont-x-change

Oh, crap! That's HER! *vomiting icon*

Someone posted a link to the commercial I was talking about. No way am I going to drink "Pespi" now.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:33 PM, proserpina65 said:

I thought the kid was a boy as well.  And I think the pointy white things are just folds of skin since I believe it's one of those hairless Sphinx cats.  And a lightsaber, because the cat is dressed as a Sith lord.

What? That wasn't a little boy?

• Love 1

The Dr Pepper/football family is enough to make me throw something at my TV. What kind of morons work at these ad agencies and what kind of morons approve these truly stupid commercials? I do wish I could decide which ones make it on TV and which ones don’t. I wouldn’t even need to get paid. I’d just do it to protect myself and all of you from losing more brain cells. You’re welcome.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

The Dr Pepper/football family is enough to make me throw something at my TV. What kind of morons work at these ad agencies and what kind of morons approve these truly stupid commercials? I do wish I could decide which ones make it on TV and which ones don’t. I wouldn’t even need to get paid. I’d just do it to protect myself and all of you from losing more brain cells. You’re welcome.

Is that the one where the guy is horrified when the woman says she can't tell the difference between food cooked on a gas grill vs charcoal? The way the man says "What???" cracks us up every time. We think it's funny.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Is that the one where the guy is horrified when the woman says she can't tell the difference between food cooked on a gas grill vs charcoal? The way the man says "What???" cracks us up every time. We think it's funny.

I was referencing the ones with the mom/dad who actually berate their son for not rooting for their “team” and make him let them smell his breath when he comes home. Or the one where they are suspicious when he gets home early. Those parents are beyond ridiculous and I feel sorry for their son. Those are the ones where they have half of their faces painted one color and the other half another color. The one you referenced I thought was funny too.

• Love 1
On 12/28/2019 at 9:35 PM, Silver Raven said:

There's a radio ad where Dad and kid are talking about the kid not making the basketball team and says now "I have bad fomo." And Dad said they're kind of the chess club types, and he had "bad fomo" until he got Direct TV to watch all of the NBA games. 

And the ad never explains what fomo means.  I had to go to urbandictionary to find out what it means.

Thanks for doing the legwork for me.

And what the hell is wrong with being on the chess club?

I suppose I should be grateful that I don't listen to shows that air this kind of stupidity.

• Love 3

Why do they pronounce Humira "Humera"?  And what kind of word is "adalimumab"? 

"Tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common."  Right, because I know where certain fungal infections are common.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

"Tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common."  Right, because I know where certain fungal infections are common.

well, i would imagine if you have spent time in the deepest jungles of borneo or what's left of the amazon rain forest you might want to be aware of certain fungal infections.

• Love 3

Thanks, @Colleenna. Now I'll be listening to the list of effects / side effects in the ad to match them to what's also clearly in the name if you know what you're looking at.

The documentation for the naming conventions for patent medicines must be massive, boring and dense, but might still be interesting to read. I'll poke around a bit to see what I can find.

15 minutes ago, CoderLady said:

Thanks, @Colleenna. Now I'll be listening to the list of effects / side effects in the ad to match them to what's also clearly in the name if you know what you're looking at.

The documentation for the naming conventions for patent medicines must be massive, boring and dense, but might still be interesting to read. I'll poke around a bit to see what I can find.

“I want to get a job as someone who names kitchen appliances. Toaster, refrigerator, blender.... all you do is say what the shit does, and add "er". I wanna work for the Kitchen Appliance Naming Institute. Hey, what does that do? It keeps shit fresh. Well, that's a fresher....I'm going on break.”

• LOL 10
42 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

“I want to get a job as someone who names kitchen appliances. Toaster, refrigerator, blender.... all you do is say what the shit does, and add "er". I wanna work for the Kitchen Appliance Naming Institute. Hey, what does that do? It keeps shit fresh. Well, that's a fresher....I'm going on break.”

Yeah, but where do "oven" and "stove" fit? Does an oven "ov"? Does a stove "sto"? 😁

• LOL 3
On 1/3/2020 at 6:11 AM, Brookside said:

I think it's an awkward way to say it, but I don't mind the "certain fungal infections" thing.  I don't think they expect you to already know where these areas are, although you might, if there are certain health recommendations for where you've been.  I think it's more like you need to tell your doctor where you've been and they'll check it against the CDC's (or whoever's) map/list of danger zones, just like you have to do if you're donating blood.

The pronunciation thing that bothers me, and I may have mentioned this before, but in some Olay (?) commercial, the actresses make a big deal about breaking the word "hyaluronic" down into five syllables, and then the announcer pronounces it with four.

• Love 1
On 1/3/2020 at 9:11 AM, Brookside said:

Do they mean areas of the world where certain fungal infections are common, or areas of the body...

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 1/3/2020 at 6:11 AM, Brookside said:

I can tell you at least one place.  The Central Valley of California.  I came down with Valley Fever when I was about 15 because of breathing fungal dust.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccidioidomycosis

• Useful 2

There's a new  Progressive commercial with a character handling one of those  advertising  arrows. A woman in a car  stops and  asks for directions.  His rude responses to  her made me say "Oh, so what  you're saying is that  people who  work for  Progressive  are azzholes..."

Somehow I don't think that  is what they intended to say. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I just assume those certain areas are well-marked. Like when you step off the plane, you will see a sign in the airport that says, "Welcome to the Fungus Capital of the World!"

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I just assume those certain areas are well-marked. Like when you step off the plane, you will see a sign in the airport that says, "Welcome to the Fungus Capital of the World!"

i see you've been to washington. our state flower is mildew.

• LOL 8

I was watching The Hallmark Channel this morning and there was an ad for one of their paint-by-numbers movies called "A Martha's Vineyard Mystery." The mystery is, why is everything so expensive there?

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I was watching The Hallmark Channel this morning and there was an ad for one of their paint-by-numbers movies called "A Martha's Vineyard Mystery." The mystery is, why is everything so expensive there?

Are you asking why everything is so expensive on Martha's Vineyard?  If so, that's not a mystery.   

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 9:59 AM, Colleenna said:

There's a new  Progressive commercial with a character handling one of those  advertising  arrows. A woman in a car  stops and  asks for directions.  His rude responses to  her made me say "Oh, so what  you're saying is that  people who  work for  Progressive  are azzholes..."

Somehow I don't think that  is what they intended to say. 

Heh. I didn't notice the kid was twirling a Progressive arrow-sign until I watched it a few times and wondered why we were watching this random conversation and thought maybe she was the other coworker of Flo.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 3:34 PM, peacheslatour said:

"What kind of taco do you want, chicken or beef?"

"Daaad, you know I'm vegan!"

"I meant chicken or...beets?"

"Nice save."

Ok, vegans eat chicken? o_O

Heh. I wondered how the contents of a taco shell made her vegan. Taco shells don't eat!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 1/11/2020 at 3:34 PM, peacheslatour said:

"What kind of taco do you want, chicken or beef?"

"Daaad, you know I'm vegan!"

"I meant chicken or...beets?"

"Nice save."

Ok, vegans eat chicken? o_O

11 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

Heh. I wondered how the contents of a taco shell made her vegan. Taco shells don't eat!

Okay, I’m totally confused by this. Haven’t seen that commercial (thankfully? I guess?) but it sounds like the dad initially offered the kid taco fillings that didn’t include a vegan option, but then he recovered with the beets choice. But what does that mean about taco shells don’t eat? I must missing something??

5 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, I’m totally confused by this. Haven’t seen that commercial (thankfully? I guess?) but it sounds like the dad initially offered the kid taco fillings that didn’t include a vegan option, but then he recovered with the beets choice. But what does that mean about taco shells don’t eat? I must missing something??

I don't get that one either. But, my point was that vegans don't eat chicken.

• Love 1
Just now, peacheslatour said:

I don't get that one either. But, my point was that vegans don't eat chicken.

Right, that’s why the kid wasn’t happy with the choice of chicken or beef. And the dad made a “nice save” by offering beets. But again, I didn’t see the original ad, so I’m sure I don’t know what I’m talking about 🙂

3 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Right, that’s why the kid wasn’t happy with the choice of chicken or beef. And the dad made a “nice save” by offering beets. But again, I didn’t see the original ad, so I’m sure I don’t know what I’m talking about 🙂

Lol. He originally asked if she preferred chicken or beef. When she pointed out her vegan status, he amended it to chicken or beets.

17 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

When people say they "are vegan", it doesn't mean they're full of vegetables. It sounds weird for her to be saying "Dad, I'm a vegan meal!", like she'd have any choice in how she's filled.. 🤔

I am thoroughly confused by those commercials with the hot DILF who is advertising capital one bank. So he proclaims THIS is the future of banking! And I am looking at all the actors in the background who are basically lounging in chairs looking at laptops and sucking down coffee. In one of the versions of the commercial, there’s actually a barista serving coffee at a counter.

so, the future of banking is essentially Starbucks?

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, HighMaintenance said:

I've seen those also, and my thought was that my grown kids have not set foot in a bank in a decade or so. On my tenth or so viewing I saw that he does mention "no branch at all" (in other words, online banking). But I just thought it was really strange to talk about how comfy the branches are. Does anyone really go to bank branches anymore?

1 hour ago, Ubiquitous said:

When people say they "are vegan", it doesn't mean they're full of vegetables. It sounds weird for her to be saying "Dad, I'm a vegan meal!", like she'd have any choice in how she's filled.. 🤔

She didn't say she was a vegan "meal", she said she's a vegan "now".

44 minutes ago, HighMaintenance said:

I am thoroughly confused by those commercials with the hot DILF who is advertising capital one bank. So he proclaims THIS is the future of banking! And I am looking at all the actors in the background who are basically lounging in chairs looking at laptops and sucking down coffee. In one of the versions of the commercial, there’s actually a barista serving coffee at a counter.

I haven't seen this commercial, but are they saying that you can bank from anywhere, so that coffee shops (or anywhere you have internet access) are banks?

19 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Old El Paso currently has a series of commercials where the taco shells are anthropomorphized and talk.  That particular one involves a mommy taco bowl, a daddy taco bowl, and a vegan kid taco bowl.  There are other ones.  I find them all kind of disturbing since someone is going to eat the tacos.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Old El Paso currently has a series of commercials where the taco shells are anthropomorphized and talk.  That particular one involves a mommy taco bowl, a daddy taco bowl, and a vegan kid taco bowl.  There are other ones.  I find them all kind of disturbing since someone is going to eat the tacos.

Ohhh, the comments here make much more sense in light of that. Lately I’ve been watching things with no or skippable ads, or Hulu which shows the same 3 ads over and over, but now I’m sure karma will start showing me that one. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't find it disturbing, but it makes me wonder what goes on at that taco factory and how the tacos are made.  I guess it's nice that they don't break up families and instead send them off to be eaten alive together.

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

that would make sense, but it seems to be a real brick and mortar bank

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Idnn/capital-one-cafs-building-a-better-bank

Okay so I looked it up and they're coffee shops with ATMs and "coaches" present to help you if you need it.  But you can just treat it as a coffee shop if you want.  I don't know why you wouldn't just go to a coffee shop if you don't want to do any banking or talk to a coach, but maybe you live in an area with a dearth of coffee shops, which I do not.

Sources: https://www.businessinsider.com/inside-capital-one-cafe-for-millennials-2017-2

https://thefinancialbrand.com/61682/capital-one-bank-branch-cafe-design/

• Love 2

Other than Capital one’s reputation of being “evil”, (aren’t all banks evil?), I know little about them. But as was said upthread, I’ve done online banking for at least 10 years, haven’t written a check in about 20 years, and maybe spoke to a bank employee once every few years...usually to open a new account or sign paperwork. Maybe bank “coaches” are for mostly rich folks,with multiple cds or accounts?

Also, I have never encountered a town with a lack of coffee shops.  You can throw a rock from one Starbucks to the next, not to mention the plethora of Dunkin’s, Brew Buddies, Wawa’s and mom & pop joints. Should we anticipate Capital One coffee in the stores soon?

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, HighMaintenance said:

haven’t written a check in about 20 years

With 2 daughters and 11 grandchildren, my husband writes birthday checks every month. I just paid a county bill with a check. If you pay by credit card, they have a surcharge.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

With 2 daughters and 11 grandchildren, my husband writes birthday checks every month.

the kids love Venmo! The only person I write checks to is the lawn guy. I do that online as well!

16 minutes ago, HighMaintenance said:

Also, I have never encountered a town with a lack of coffee shops.  You can throw a rock from one Starbucks to the next, not to mention the plethora of Dunkin’s, Brew Buddies, Wawa’s and mom & pop joints. Should we anticipate Capital One coffee in the stores soon?

I've never heard of Brew Buddies, but are there Dunkins or Wawas that are set up to allow you to sit for hours?  The only Wawas I've ever been in were more like convenience stores (no seating), and the only Dunkins I've been inside have tables but aren't the kind of places where you want to settle in.  I'm not trying to defend the Capital One Cafes, but in my experience, the places mentioned aren't really comparable with the kind of establishment Capital One is advertising.

the kids love Venmo! The only person I write checks to is the lawn guy. I do that online as well!

You write checks online?

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, janie jones said:

You write checks online?

yeah- there's a service (Chase) where I set up a payee (name and address) and basically the bank writes the check to them and mails it (stamp included LOL). My daughter used that to pay me back for something when she didn't have enough in her Venmo account, which is how I learned this thing existed. Very simple for people you pay regularly.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Yes. I pay all of my bills online and 2 of my payees don't have electronic accounts, so my bank sends them a check.

I usually go into a bank a few times a year, when I have to withdraw money from my savings account at one and deposit it in my checking account at the other. No one has offered me coffee or coaching.

• Love 5

I used to work with this middle-aged lady who was always talking about the cool bands she liked, and it always seemed like she was trying to seem current, not that she just happened to like these bands.  It was awkward.  That's how the bank-cafe makes me feel.

I'm a millennial who hasn't stepped foot inside a bank in years, but I'd rather go to an actual bank if I needed to talk to a human being than go to a bank-cafe.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, HighMaintenance said:

Other than Capital one’s reputation of being “evil”, (aren’t all banks evil?), I know little about them. But as was said upthread, I’ve done online banking for at least 10 years, haven’t written a check in about 20 years, and maybe spoke to a bank employee once every few years...usually to open a new account or sign paperwork. Maybe bank “coaches” are for mostly rich folks,with multiple cds or accounts?

LOL. The hubs had to write a check today, the second  time in  8 months. 

He fucked it up.

Wrote 2019.

So we have now used THREE paper checks in the last 8 months. 😂😂😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 2